• Insight/Hire Genealogist for Medieval Research

From Girl57@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 20 12:28:41 2022
    My bucket list includes an item re: professional help filling in at least one of the few medieval lines identifiable in my family tree.

Can anyone recommend an experienced and reliable person or company? Would this be monstrously expensive? Does anyone know if Douglas Richardson of royalancestry.net has genealogist associates who do this?

Also wondering about the best way to check and see if related work has already been done/exists in some accessible form. I know almost nothing about medieval genealogy and wouldn't know where to start.

A couple of my lines of interest are connected to the FitzRandolph family of York (Spennithorne) and Nottinghamshire: the ancestry of Cuthbert Langton (d. 1515) and his father Thomas (d. 1498) of Langton Hall near Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Notts.; and the
    ancestry of Frances Howes/Howis/Howls (d. 1631), second wife of Edward FitzRandolph and mother of Edward "the pilgrim."

Re: Frances, wondering if someone called a "gentleman," like Edward Sr., would have married the daughter of another gentleman, or not necessarily? If Frances's father not in that category, would it likely be a lot harder to trace him?

Thank you for any input.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From taf@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 20 17:52:33 2022
    On Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 12:28:43 PM UTC-7, Girl57 wrote:

. . . and the ancestry of Frances Howes/Howis/Howls (d. 1631), second wife of Edward FitzRandolph and mother of Edward "the pilgrim."

Re: Frances, wondering if someone called a "gentleman," like Edward Sr., would have married the daughter of another gentleman, or not necessarily?

Not necessarily. It is not uncommon at all for the lower ranks of the gentry to marry the daughters of the bourgeoisie, and vice versa.

If Frances's father not in that category, would it likely be a lot harder to trace him?

Depends on what he was, and a lot depends on chance. You have a better probability of finding an informative will for a London livery company member than for a backwater younger son of the gentry, but less of a chance of finding a pedigree source such
    as a visitation.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From joseph cook@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 20 21:15:15 2022
    On Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 3:28:43 PM UTC-4, Girl57 wrote:
    My bucket list includes an item re: professional help filling in at least one of the few medieval lines identifiable in my family tree.

Can anyone recommend an experienced and reliable person or company? Would this be monstrously expensive? Does anyone know if Douglas Richardson of royalancestry.net has genealogist associates who do this?

Also wondering about the best way to check and see if related work has already been done/exists in some accessible form. I know almost nothing about medieval genealogy and wouldn't know where to start.

A couple of my lines of interest are connected to the FitzRandolph family of York (Spennithorne) and Nottinghamshire: the ancestry of Cuthbert Langton (d. 1515) and his father Thomas (d. 1498) of Langton Hall near Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Notts.; and the
    ancestry of Frances Howes/Howis/Howls (d. 1631), second wife of Edward FitzRandolph and mother of Edward "the pilgrim."

Re: Frances, wondering if someone called a "gentleman," like Edward Sr., would have married the daughter of another gentleman, or not necessarily? If Frances's father not in that category, would it likely be a lot harder to trace him?

Edward FitzRandolph is an interesting gateway ancestor in that most of his ancestry was the result of a deliberate forgery, and so not a proven descent from any recent monarchs; although I believe he is traceable back over 1000 years anyway. (see
    Douglas Richardson's Royal Ancestry).

I don't believe the names of Frances Howes/Holws are known in any currently published work. Ditto the ancestors of Cuthbert Langton as far as I can recall.

If that's the case, finding someone to do research in this area would not be "monstrously expensive" for what the task entails; but probably starting at $5000 with no guarantee of results whatsoever.v Given that these particular lines have received a
    lot of attention over the years.

--Joe C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Vance Mead@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 21 04:36:11 2022
    I think I can tell you a bit more about the ancestry of Langton of Kirkby in Ashfield, Notts.
    It probably goes John (born about 1380), Richard (born 1406/7), Thomas (born 1430-40), Cuthbert
    (born 1463).

There's an inquisition post mortem of John Langton: https://inquisitionspostmortem.ac.uk/view/inquisition/23-449/

John Langton, of Kirkby in Ashfield Notts, writ November 1430, inquisition January 1431

John Langton, of Kirkby in Ashfield, one messuage called ‘Langtonplace’, worth nothing yearly, and six closes of arable, each worth 20d. yearly, held of Elizabeth and Margery, daughters and heirs of Philip Darcy, as 1/100 knight’s fee.

He died on 3 May last. Richard Langton, his son and next heir, is aged 24 and more.

Richard born 1406/7 is in common pleas in 1458:
    Langton, Richard, son of Langton, John, of Kyrkeby in Asshefeld, yeoman https://waalt.uh.edu/index.php/CP40/788

In 1484 Thomas Langton was in Common Pleas:
    Langton, Thomas, of Langton Hall, in Kyrkby, Notts, gent https://waalt.uh.edu/index.php/CP40/890

Thomas Langton died 1489 (IPM)
    Cuthbert age 26 years and more is his son and heir. (born about 1463)

https://archive.org/details/calendarofinquis03great/page/522/mode/2up?view=theater
    https://archive.org/details/calendarofinquis03great/page/520/mode/2up?view=theater

Thomas born about 1430-40 left the same land to his son as John had left to Richard.
    A messuage and 23 bovates of land in Kyrkebe, worth 12 L, held of the Lord Darcy by a hundredth part of a knight's fee.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to vance...@yahoo.com on Mon Mar 21 15:01:42 2022
    On Monday, March 21, 2022 at 7:36:13 AM UTC-4, vance...@yahoo.com wrote:
    I think I can tell you a bit more about the ancestry of Langton of Kirkby in Ashfield, Notts.
    It probably goes John (born about 1380), Richard (born 1406/7), Thomas (born 1430-40), Cuthbert
    (born 1463).

There's an inquisition post mortem of John Langton: https://inquisitionspostmortem.ac.uk/view/inquisition/23-449/

John Langton, of Kirkby in Ashfield Notts, writ November 1430, inquisition January 1431

John Langton, of Kirkby in Ashfield, one messuage called ‘Langtonplace’, worth nothing yearly, and six closes of arable, each worth 20d. yearly, held of Elizabeth and Margery, daughters and heirs of Philip Darcy, as 1/100 knight’s fee.

He died on 3 May last. Richard Langton, his son and next heir, is aged 24 and more.

Richard born 1406/7 is in common pleas in 1458:
    Langton, Richard, son of Langton, John, of Kyrkeby in Asshefeld, yeoman https://waalt.uh.edu/index.php/CP40/788

In 1484 Thomas Langton was in Common Pleas:
    Langton, Thomas, of Langton Hall, in Kyrkby, Notts, gent https://waalt.uh.edu/index.php/CP40/890

Thomas Langton died 1489 (IPM)
    Cuthbert age 26 years and more is his son and heir. (born about 1463)

https://archive.org/details/calendarofinquis03great/page/522/mode/2up?view=theater
    https://archive.org/details/calendarofinquis03great/page/520/mode/2up?view=theater

Thomas born about 1430-40 left the same land to his son as John had left to Richard.
    A messuage and 23 bovates of land in Kyrkebe, worth 12 L, held of the Lord Darcy by a hundredth part of a knight's fee.

taf, joe, vance: Thank you so much for all great info...What a great help. As you have snippets of time, maybe you could enlighten me on a few other points I've been struggling with.

*A deliberate forgery in the FitzRandolph pedigree was mentioned. Which part(s)? Is the Mary/Roger Bigod generation probably sound but not proved?

JOHN, UNPROVEN

*About the probably-correct-but-unproven, more recent generation which led to removal of this line from latest edition of The Magna Carta Sureties: Is this generation 10-11...a John is the father of Christopher FitzRandolph who m. Joan Langton -- John
    who was presumed to be a younger son of Sir John FitzRandolph and Joan Conyers of Spennithorne? Was this John identified through Magna Carta Sureties reference, "...the FitzRandolph pedigree in the British Museum starts with this John..."? See generation
    #11, here:

https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=59XcwoRK9jkC&pg=GBS.PA193.w.3.4.0_155&printsec=frontcover

Is it likely that this is the same John (living in Nottinghamshire or Derbyshire in the time of Cuthbert Langton?) cited as enfeoffed by Cuthbert Langton? See c), here (Thoroton's Nottinghamshire, p. 296):

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/History_of_Nottinghamshire/xD4uAAAAMAAJ?q=%22cuthbert+langton%22&gbpv=1#f=false

What is the evidence that this John likely died around 1517 (have seen this reference in several places)? A will/probate documents...any tracing of what happened to lands he might have had, connecting him to son Christopher?

CHRISTOPHER "PARSON" FITZRANDOLPH'S WILL

*Separately, has the John FitzRandolph mentioned in the 1516 will of Christopher "parson" (parson believed to be another son of Sir John and Joan Conyers) ever been researched/identified/parentage been hypothesized? This John was under 21 when the will
    was made, and when his care was given over by the parson to an Antony Burgh. The will reads, "...and I bequeth to John Fitzrandolf x kye and a bull, plate and oyer goodys as moch as commes to xxti marc. Item I will that Antony Burgh be keper of the
    sayde John and his goodes to the tyme he come to xxjti yere of his age and gif to hyme mete, drynke and cloth, with somme lernyng, thenne the sayde Antony Burgh to delyver to the said John Fitzrandolf x kye and a bull, plate and other goodes to the
    valour of xxti marke, and if deth come to the said John or he come to the said age thenne the goodes to be geven to the kirke aforesaid or as they thynke best for the welth of my saule. Item I bequeth to Antony Burgh all my ferme of Langton Hall."

Could mention of a Burgh in the Kirkby parson's will -- perhaps related to the John Burgh of East Hawkswell, married to Margaret/Margery FitzRandall, presumed sister of the parson/daughter of John FitzRandolph and Joan Conyers -- be another indication of
    tie between the Spennithorne and Nottinghamshire FitzRandolphs? See History of Richmondshire, p. 327, here:

https://archive.org/details/historyofrichmon12whit/page/n409/mode/2up?ref=ol&view=theater&q=Burgh

Do names of witnesses to Christopher "parson's" will give useful clues to anything? "...Item I bequeth to Thomas Wyngke one gowne cloth. Item I bequeth to Sir William Betson one gowne cloth. Item I will that Antony Burgh and Christofer Fitzrandolf be
    myne executours, they to dispose the residue of my goodes as thay thynk best for the heile of my saule. Thies being witnes, Sir Thomas Wynke, Sir William Beitson, Roberte Edwarde, Hewe Voluntyne, William Worth, and other moo.

Would it be possible or useful to research where Christopher "parson" was educated for the clergy? Do records of that kind even exist? Would they possibly mention his parentage? For example, see FamilySearch.org, Clergy of Church of England, "University
    Graduates" section, here (though our parson of course lived before creation of Church of England):

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Clergy_of_Church_of_England_(in_England)

CHRISTOPHER WHO M. JOAN LANGTON

*Even if the generations 10-11 connection can't be proved, does the preponderance of evidence around Christopher (d. 1570) point to the Spennithorne FitzRandolphs as his ancestral family?

*If Christopher's father John wasn't a younger son of John FitzRandolph and Joan Conyers, could he have been the son of a brother of Sir John FitzRandolph? How much is known about the male siblings of the Lords of Spennithorne and their descendants?

*Are Christopher's probate records published (1570 letters of administration granted to wife Joan and son Thomas?) I've seen references to these letters, etc., but wonder if they've been published or translated in full.

FITZRANDOLPHS, STRELLEYS, DARCYS, LANGTONS

Is it correct that the FitzRandolphs, Strelleys, Darcys, and Langtons were interconnected BEFORE Christopher "parson" was presented to the Kirkby-in-Ashfield parish through Sir John Conyers's advowson around 1490? If so, are these interconnections, and
    the advowson, solid evidence that Spennithorne and Nottinghamshire FitzRandolphs were closely related?

SIR BRIAN?

Who is Sir Brian FitzRandolph, who is named in at least one or two sources as the father of Elizabeth FitzRandolph, daughter of Sir Ralph FitzRandolph and Elizabeth (Scrope?), and who married Sir Nicolas Strelley of Linby, Nottinghamshire? (Strelley who
    is named in some Christopher "parson"-related documents). See Nottinghamshire History, end of paragraph #2, here:

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/books/bonser1948/sutton19.htm

Also, see Thoroton's Nottinghamshire, Vol. II, p. 281, e), here:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=xD4uAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA296&lpg=PA296&dq=%22cuthbert+langton%22&source=bl&ots=qckAdD-UIh&sig=E4s4FGjV2S0oo_IdWkvTmbsGASs&hl=en&ei=5PVfTNWYONCT4gbMtLXSBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAw=onepage&q=
    langton&f=false#v=onepage&q=Fitz%20Randolph&f=false

These references contradict others to Elizabeth having married Sir Nicolas Strelley of Linby; see "Visitations of the North," p. 24, here:

https://archive.org/details/heraldicvisitat02/page/n49/mode/2up

DERBYSHIRE FITZRANDOLPHS -- WAY BACK

*Is there evidence that the Spennithorne-then-Kirkby-and-Sutton FitzRandolphs were related to the FitzRandolph family apparently established since 12th or 13th century in Derbyshire...that there was a far-distant common ancestor? Or is it possible that
    Christopher (d. 1570) didn't come from Spennithorne line at all, but from this old Derbyshire line? If this surname was rare in medieval and early modern England (as noted by Anthony R. Wagner, NEHGR, Vol. 99, p. 336), is it likely that these families
    were connected, even if distantly? See nottshistory link above, latter half of paragraph two, which reads:

"...In Rentals and Surveys A.D. 1295 in the P.R.O. appears the name of Walter Fitzrandolph when he paid a Fine of 3/2 for lands held of the king at Sutton-in-Ashfield and of his son Henry, who paid 5/-. The history of this branch is for many years
    obscure and it quietly lived its life at Sutton, and it is not again prominent till 1489, when in the Torre MSS. appears the name of Christopher Fitzrandolph as Rector of Kirkby when he died, and Thoroton in his account of Linby mentions Sir Brian
    Fitzrandolph whose daughter Elizabeth married Sir Nicholas Strelley, c. 1540, but died without issue."

My apologies that this is so long (and for many likely typos, etc.)! Is there any way to keep such details brief?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 21 15:39:09 2022
    What is your source for these details from Christopher parson's will ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Mon Mar 21 16:27:13 2022
    On Monday, March 21, 2022 at 6:39:11 PM UTC-4, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    I ordered a transcribed copy of the will from the Borthwick Institute for Archives, York. Have you never seen a copy before? I thought it must be published and available but couldn't find it anywhere. Thrilled to get it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 21 18:43:07 2022
    On Monday, March 21, 2022 at 4:27:14 PM UTC-7, Girl57 wrote:
    I ordered a transcribed copy of the will from the Borthwick Institute for Archives, York. Have you never seen a copy before? I thought it must be published and available but couldn't find it anywhere. Thrilled to get it.

It's not published.
    You can publish it in total if there is more, right here.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Mon Mar 21 21:05:36 2022
    On Monday, March 21, 2022 at 9:43:09 PM UTC-4, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    It's not published.
    I'm glad to share it here. It was easy to obtain, and I assumed that everyone interested in detailed research of the FitzRandolph line already knew its exact contents. Is there something here that's not already widely known and might help answer a
    question or solve a longstanding problem? I'm wondering if maybe both Christopher FitzRandolph (d. 1570) and Antony Burgh, co-executors of the parson's will, might have been nephews of the parson's? No relationships are stated herein, but in other
    sources I've seen co-exec Christopher referred to as the testator's cousin or nephew.

Borthwick Institute for Archives

Will of Christopher FitzRandolf of Kirkby in Ashfield (Notts.), proved July 1516

Register of Thomas Wolsey (Abp. Reg. 27, folio 142v)

[Marginated] Will of Sir Christofer Fitzrandolf, Vicar of the Church of Kirkby in Ashefeld

In the name of God Amen. The firste daie of the moneth of June the yere of our lorde God ml D xvj, I Christofer Fitzrandolf, parson of the parish church of Kirkby in Ashfeld, with hole mynde, makes my will in this maner. First, I bequeth my saule to
    Almyghtie God, to his moder Saynte Mary, and to all the sayntes in heven, my body to be buried in myne owne church in the chansell afore the pryncipall ymage [of] Saynte Wilfride, and I bequeth to John Fitzrandolf x kye and a bull, plate and oyer
    goodys as moch as commes to xxti marc. Item I will that Antony Burgh be keper of the sayde John and his goodes to the tyme he come to xxjti yere of his age and gif to hyme mete, drynke and cloth, with somme lernyng, thenne the sayde Antony Burgh to
    delyver to the said John Fitzrandolf x kye and a bull, plate and other goodes to the valour of xxti marke, and if deth come to the said John or he come to the said age thenne the goodes to be geven to the kirke aforesaid or as they thynke best for the
    welth of my saule. Item I bequeth to Antony Burgh all my ferme of Langton Hall. Item I bequeth to ilcone of my servantes their hoole yere wages. Item I bequeth to Thomas Wyngke one gowne cloth. Item I bequeth to Sir William Betson one gowne cloth. Item
    I will that Antony Burgh and Christofer Fitzrandolf be myne executours, they to dispose the residue of my goodes as thay thynk best for the heile of my saule. Thies being witnes, Sir Thomas Wynke, Sir William Beitson, Roberte Edwarde, Hewe Voluntyne,
    William Worth, and other moo.

[Marginated] Probate of the said will
    On the seventeenth day of the month of July in the year of our lord abovesaid [1516] probate of the said will was granted by virtue of a commission and administration of the goods of the same deceased was granted to Christofer Fitzrandolf, co-executor
    named in the said will, in form of law, sworn; reserving the same power of administration to be granted to Anthony Brugh, executor in the same will named, when he should come to receive it in form of law etc.

© University of York

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 22 08:03:37 2022
    On Monday, March 21, 2022 at 9:05:37 PM UTC-7, Girl57 wrote:
    It's not published.
    I'm glad to share it here. It was easy to obtain, and I assumed that everyone interested in detailed research of the FitzRandolph line already knew its exact contents. Is there something here that's not already widely known and might help answer a
    question or solve a longstanding problem? I'm wondering if maybe both Christopher FitzRandolph (d. 1570) and Antony Burgh, co-executors of the parson's will, might have been nephews of the parson's? No relationships are stated herein, but in other
    sources I've seen co-exec Christopher referred to as the testator's cousin or nephew.

Will of Christopher FitzRandolf of Kirkby in Ashfield (Notts.), proved July 1516

[Marginated] Will of Sir Christofer Fitzrandolf, Vicar of the Church of Kirkby in Ashefeld

In the name of God Amen. The firste daie of the moneth of June the yere of our lorde God ml D xvj, I Christofer Fitzrandolf, parson of the parish church of Kirkby in Ashfeld, with hole mynde, makes my will in this maner. First, I bequeth my saule to
    Almyghtie God, to his moder Saynte Mary, and to all the sayntes in heven, my body to be buried in myne owne church in the chansell afore the pryncipall ymage [of] Saynte Wilfride, and I bequeth to John Fitzrandolf x kye and a bull, plate and oyer goodys
    as moch as commes to xxti marc. Item I will that Antony Burgh be keper of the sayde John and his goodes to the tyme he come to xxjti yere of his age and gif to hyme mete, drynke and cloth, with somme lernyng, thenne the sayde Antony Burgh to delyver to
    the said John Fitzrandolf x kye and a bull, plate and other goodes to the valour of xxti marke, and if deth come to the said John or he come to the said age thenne the goodes to be geven to the kirke aforesaid or as they thynke best for the welth of my
    saule. Item I bequeth to Antony Burgh all my ferme of Langton Hall. Item I bequeth to ilcone of my servantes their hoole yere wages. Item I bequeth to Thomas Wyngke one gowne cloth. Item I bequeth to Sir William Betson one gowne cloth. Item I will that
    Antony Burgh and Christofer Fitzrandolf be myne executours, they to dispose the residue of my goodes as thay thynk best for the heile of my saule. Thies being witnes, Sir Thomas Wynke, Sir William Beitson, Roberte Edwarde, Hewe Voluntyne, William Worth,
    and other moo.

[Marginated] Probate of the said will
    On the seventeenth day of the month of July in the year of our lord abovesaid [1516] probate of the said will was granted by virtue of a commission and administration of the goods of the same deceased was granted to Christofer Fitzrandolf, co-executor
    named in the said will, in form of law, sworn; reserving the same power of administration to be granted to Anthony Brugh, executor in the same will named, when he should come to receive it in form of law etc.

© University of York

I suggest John's age should read xxiii the 23rd year of his life
    It's a bit odd that he would give him 10 cows and then ask for the 10 to be given back
    That seems a bit harsh.
    And I'm not sure I've ever seen such a bequest

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Tue Mar 22 10:12:10 2022
    On Tuesday, March 22, 2022 at 8:03:39 AM UTC-7, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    It's not published.

Almyghtie God, to his moder Saynte Mary, and to all the sayntes in heven, my body to be buried in myne owne church in the chansell afore the pryncipall ymage [of] Saynte Wilfride, and I bequeth to John Fitzrandolf x kye and a bull, plate and oyer goodys
    as moch as commes to xxti marc. Item I will that Antony Burgh be keper of the sayde John and his goodes to the tyme he come to xxjti yere of his age and gif to hyme mete, drynke and cloth, with somme lernyng, thenne the sayde Antony Burgh to delyver to
    the said John Fitzrandolf x kye and a bull, plate and other goodes to the valour of xxti marke, and if deth come to the said John or he come to the said age thenne the goodes to be geven to the kirke aforesaid or as they thynke best for the welth of my
    saule. Item I bequeth to Antony Burgh all my ferme of Langton Hall. Item I bequeth to ilcone of my servantes their hoole yere wages. Item I bequeth to Thomas Wyngke one gowne cloth. Item I bequeth to Sir William Betson one gowne cloth. Item I will that
    Antony Burgh and Christofer Fitzrandolf be myne executours, they to dispose the residue of my goodes as thay thynk best for the heile of my saule. Thies being witnes, Sir Thomas Wynke, Sir William Beitson, Roberte Edwarde, Hewe Voluntyne, William Worth,
    and other moo.

Yes.

Also in the phrase "plate and oyer goodys" the two 'y's do not represent the same letter. The one in 'goodys' is a modern 'y', but the one in 'oyer' is the medieval letter 'thorn' (þ) - i.e. 'th', so 'other'. The spelling of 'moder' earlier in the
    document has an analogous etymology, with the 'd' there deriving from the medieval letter 'eth' (ð) - also 'th'.

It's a bit odd that he would give him 10 cows and then ask for the 10 to be given back
    That seems a bit harsh.

That is not how I am reading it. He gives the 10 cows, bull and goods worth 22 marks to John Fitzrandolph, appoints Anthony Burke as John's guardian. Anthony, after serving as keeper of his ward's goods during John's minority, is to turn them over to
    John when the boy reaches the age of 23, or to the church if the boy dies before then ("if deth come to the said John or he come to the said age", where 'or' is a spelling variant of Middle English 'er', modern 'ere', ie. before). There is no 'taking
    away' here, just more specifics about how the bequest to a minor is to be handled.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to taf on Tue Mar 22 10:36:03 2022
    On Tuesday, March 22, 2022 at 1:12:12 PM UTC-4, taf wrote:
    On Tuesday, March 22, 2022 at 8:03:39 AM UTC-7, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    It's not published.

In the name of God Amen. The firste daie of the moneth of June the yere of our lorde God ml D xvj, I Christofer Fitzrandolf, parson of the parish church of Kirkby in Ashfeld, with hole mynde, makes my will in this maner. First, I bequeth my saule
    to Almyghtie God, to his moder Saynte Mary, and to all the sayntes in heven, my body to be buried in myne owne church in the chansell afore the pryncipall ymage [of] Saynte Wilfride, and I bequeth to John Fitzrandolf x kye and a bull, plate and oyer
    goodys as moch as commes to xxti marc. Item I will that Antony Burgh be keper of the sayde John and his goodes to the tyme he come to xxjti yere of his age and gif to hyme mete, drynke and cloth, with somme lernyng, thenne the sayde Antony Burgh to
    delyver to the said John Fitzrandolf x kye and a bull, plate and other goodes to the valour of xxti marke, and if deth come to the said John or he come to the said age thenne the goodes to be geven to the kirke aforesaid or as they thynke best for the
    welth of my saule. Item I bequeth to Antony Burgh all my ferme of Langton Hall. Item I bequeth to ilcone of my servantes their hoole yere wages. Item I bequeth to Thomas Wyngke one gowne cloth. Item I bequeth to Sir William Betson one gowne cloth. Item I
    will that Antony Burgh and Christofer Fitzrandolf be myne executours, they to dispose the residue of my goodes as thay thynk best for the heile of my saule. Thies being witnes, Sir Thomas Wynke, Sir William Beitson, Roberte Edwarde, Hewe Voluntyne,
    William Worth, and other moo.

Yes.

Also in the phrase "plate and oyer goodys" the two 'y's do not represent the same letter. The one in 'goodys' is a modern 'y', but the one in 'oyer' is the medieval letter 'thorn' (þ) - i.e. 'th', so 'other'. The spelling of 'moder' earlier in the
    document has an analogous etymology, with the 'd' there deriving from the medieval letter 'eth' (ð) - also 'th'.
    That seems a bit harsh.
    That is not how I am reading it. He gives the 10 cows, bull and goods worth 22 marks to John Fitzrandolph, appoints Anthony Burke as John's guardian. Anthony, after serving as keeper of his ward's goods during John's minority, is to turn them over to
    John when the boy reaches the age of 23, or to the church if the boy dies before then ("if deth come to the said John or he come to the said age", where 'or' is a spelling variant of Middle English 'er', modern 'ere', ie. before). There is no 'taking
    away' here, just more specifics about how the bequest to a minor is to be handled.

taf
    taf, than interpretation seems very reasonable (I am not an expert in reading the English of that time). With previously posted questions about FitzRandolphs, I have a more general one: Do you know of a book that focuses on the whats and hows of medieval
    English genealogy, or a medieval "encyclopedia" for beginners? And one that is affordable? Would help me if I could find one. Any recommendations welcome.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to taf on Tue Mar 22 13:23:04 2022
    On Tuesday, March 22, 2022 at 10:12:12 AM UTC-7, taf wrote:

taf

You're right.
    I misread that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 22 15:50:36 2022
    On Tuesday, March 22, 2022 at 10:36:05 AM UTC-7, Girl57 wrote:

taf, than interpretation seems very reasonable (I am not an expert in reading the English of that time). With previously posted questions about FitzRandolphs, I have a more general one: Do you know of a book that focuses on the whats and hows of
    medieval English genealogy, or a medieval "encyclopedia" for beginners? And one that is affordable? Would help me if I could find one. Any recommendations welcome.

I am unaware of any book focusing on the practice of medieval English genealogy in enough detail to be useful.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Douglas Richardson@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 23 13:18:36 2022
    The ancestry of the New World immigrant, Edward Fitz Randolph (died c.1684/5), of Piscataway, New Jersey, can be traced back to his great-grandfather, Christopher Fitz Randolph (died 1570). For your interest, I've copied below my current file account of
    Christopher Fitz Randolph (died 1570).

It is thought that Christopher Fitz Randolph (died 1570)i s descended from the earlier Fitz Randolph family, of Spennithorne, Yorkshire. However, to my knowledge, the exact link to the Spennithorne family has eluded discovery for many decades. I
    personally think the connection is highly likely, but lacking confirmation, this remains a theory at best.

Douglas Richardson, Historian and Genealogist

+ + + + + + + + + +
    12. CHRISTOPHER FITZ RANDOLPH, Gent., of Codnor (in Heanor), Derbyshire, and, in right of his wife, of Langton Hall (in Kirkby-in-Ashfield), Nottinghamshire. He married by contract dated 1514 JOAN (or JANE) LANGTON, daughter and co-heiress of Cuthbert
    Langton, Gent., of Langton Hall in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. She was born about 1499. They had five sons, Thomas, Gent. [of Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire], John, James, Edward, and Christopher, and three daughters, Isabel, Margaret,
    and Margery. He was named one of the executors of the 1516 will of his uncle, Christopher Fitz Randolph, parson of Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. In the period, 1518–29, he and Joan his wife sued Rowland Revell in Chancery regarding the
    detention of deeds relating to the manor of Langton Hall and messuages and land in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Hucknall Torkard, Hucknall-under-Howthwaite, and Watnall-under-Choworth, Nottinghamshire. In the period, 1521–2, Cuthbert Langton sued Christopher
    FitzRandolph and Randall Revel in the Court of Requests regarding lands in Durly Hucknall within the manor of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire. In the period, 1538–44, he and Joan his wife sued Robert Hyhege and Roger Mottram in Chancery regarding the
    detention of deeds relating to a close in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. In 1544–51, he and Joan his wife sued Roger Grenehalgh regarding land in Hucknall under Huthwaite (in Skegby), Nottinghamshire held of the king’s manor of Mansfield,
    Nottinghamshire. In 1550 he and Joan his wife sued George Vernon, Esq., in Chancery regarding one messuage, garden, and 60 acres of land in Birchehills, Derbyshire. In 1551–3 John Saurysbye sued William Awsebroke, Christopher Fitz Randolph and John
    his son regarding land in Kirkby[-in-Ashfield], Nottinghamshire leased by the said Christopher to complainant jointly with the said William. CHRISTOPHER FITZ RANDOLPH, Gent., died shortly before 26 April 1570, on which date administration on his estate
    was granted to Thomas, his eldest son, and his widow, Jane. His widow, Jane, left a will dated 30 July 1573, proved 2 April 1574, requesting buried in the church of Kirkby –in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire near her mother.

References:

Thoroton & Throsby, Thoroton’s Hist. of Nottinghamshire 2 (1790): 296. Mundy et al., Vis. of Nottingham 1569 & 1614 (H.S.P. 4) (1871): 187 (1569 Vis.) (Fitz Randolph arms: Argent, a chief indented azure). List of Early Chancery Procs. 5 (PRO Lists
    and Indexes 38) (1912): 79; 7 (PRO Lists and Indexes 50) (1926): 43; 8 (PRO Lists and Indexes 51) (1929): 82; 9 (PRO Lists and Indexes 54) (1933): 48, 333. Desc. Cat. Ancient Deeds 6 (1915): 493. NEHGR 97 (1943): 295–298; 99 (1945): 335–336.
    Chancery Decree Rolls (C.78) (List & Index Soc. 160) (1979): 54. Chancery Final Decrees, C78/6, no. 52, Year: 1550 (http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT7/C78/C78no6/IMG_0049.htm). National Archives, C 1/504/51; C 1/983/17-18; C 1/1221/26-28; C 1/1315/9-10; REQ
    2/1/14 (available at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to Douglas Richardson on Wed Mar 23 14:30:25 2022
    On Wednesday, March 23, 2022 at 4:18:37 PM UTC-4, Douglas Richardson wrote:
    The ancestry of the New World immigrant, Edward Fitz Randolph (died c.1684/5), of Piscataway, New Jersey, can be traced back to his great-grandfather, Christopher Fitz Randolph (died 1570). For your interest, I've copied below my current file account
    of Christopher Fitz Randolph (died 1570).

It is thought that Christopher Fitz Randolph (died 1570)i s descended from the earlier Fitz Randolph family, of Spennithorne, Yorkshire. However, to my knowledge, the exact link to the Spennithorne family has eluded discovery for many decades. I
    personally think the connection is highly likely, but lacking confirmation, this remains a theory at best.

+ + + + + + + + + +
    12. CHRISTOPHER FITZ RANDOLPH, Gent., of Codnor (in Heanor), Derbyshire, and, in right of his wife, of Langton Hall (in Kirkby-in-Ashfield), Nottinghamshire. He married by contract dated 1514 JOAN (or JANE) LANGTON, daughter and co-heiress of Cuthbert
    Langton, Gent., of Langton Hall in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. She was born about 1499. They had five sons, Thomas, Gent. [of Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire], John, James, Edward, and Christopher, and three daughters, Isabel, Margaret, and
    Margery. He was named one of the executors of the 1516 will of his uncle, Christopher Fitz Randolph, parson of Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. In the period, 1518–29, he and Joan his wife sued Rowland Revell in Chancery regarding the detention of
    deeds relating to the manor of Langton Hall and messuages and land in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Hucknall Torkard, Hucknall-under-Howthwaite, and Watnall-under-Choworth, Nottinghamshire. In the period, 1521–2, Cuthbert Langton sued Christopher FitzRandolph
    and Randall Revel in the Court of Requests regarding lands in Durly Hucknall within the manor of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire. In the period, 1538–44, he and Joan his wife sued Robert Hyhege and Roger Mottram in Chancery regarding the detention of deeds
    relating to a close in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. In 1544–51, he and Joan his wife sued Roger Grenehalgh regarding land in Hucknall under Huthwaite (in Skegby), Nottinghamshire held of the king’s manor of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire. In 1550
    he and Joan his wife sued George Vernon, Esq., in Chancery regarding one messuage, garden, and 60 acres of land in Birchehills, Derbyshire. In 1551–3 John Saurysbye sued William Awsebroke, Christopher Fitz Randolph and John his son regarding land in
    Kirkby[-in-Ashfield], Nottinghamshire leased by the said Christopher to complainant jointly with the said William. CHRISTOPHER FITZ RANDOLPH, Gent., died shortly before 26 April 1570, on which date administration on his estate was granted to Thomas, his
    eldest son, and his widow, Jane. His widow, Jane, left a will dated 30 July 1573, proved 2 April 1574, requesting buried in the church of Kirkby –in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire near her mother.

References:

Thoroton & Throsby, Thoroton’s Hist. of Nottinghamshire 2 (1790): 296. Mundy et al., Vis. of Nottingham 1569 & 1614 (H.S.P. 4) (1871): 187 (1569 Vis.) (Fitz Randolph arms: Argent, a chief indented azure). List of Early Chancery Procs. 5 (PRO Lists
    and Indexes 38) (1912): 79; 7 (PRO Lists and Indexes 50) (1926): 43; 8 (PRO Lists and Indexes 51) (1929): 82; 9 (PRO Lists and Indexes 54) (1933): 48, 333. Desc. Cat. Ancient Deeds 6 (1915): 493. NEHGR 97 (1943): 295–298; 99 (1945): 335–336. Chancery
    Decree Rolls (C.78) (List & Index Soc. 160) (1979): 54. Chancery Final Decrees, C78/6, no. 52, Year: 1550 (http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT7/C78/C78no6/IMG_0049.htm). National Archives, C 1/504/51; C 1/983/17-18; C 1/1221/26-28; C 1/1315/9-10; REQ 2/1/14 (
    available at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk).
    Thank you so much, Douglas. This is very helpful!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 23 15:01:39 2022
    On Wednesday, March 23, 2022 at 5:30:26 PM UTC-4, Girl57 wrote:
    On Wednesday, March 23, 2022 at 4:18:37 PM UTC-4, Douglas Richardson wrote:
    The ancestry of the New World immigrant, Edward Fitz Randolph (died c.1684/5), of Piscataway, New Jersey, can be traced back to his great-grandfather, Christopher Fitz Randolph (died 1570). For your interest, I've copied below my current file account
    of Christopher Fitz Randolph (died 1570).

+ + + + + + + + + +
    12. CHRISTOPHER FITZ RANDOLPH, Gent., of Codnor (in Heanor), Derbyshire, and, in right of his wife, of Langton Hall (in Kirkby-in-Ashfield), Nottinghamshire. He married by contract dated 1514 JOAN (or JANE) LANGTON, daughter and co-heiress of
    Cuthbert Langton, Gent., of Langton Hall in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. She was born about 1499. They had five sons, Thomas, Gent. [of Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire], John, James, Edward, and Christopher, and three daughters, Isabel,
    Margaret, and Margery. He was named one of the executors of the 1516 will of his uncle, Christopher Fitz Randolph, parson of Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. In the period, 1518–29, he and Joan his wife sued Rowland Revell in Chancery regarding the
    detention of deeds relating to the manor of Langton Hall and messuages and land in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Hucknall Torkard, Hucknall-under-Howthwaite, and Watnall-under-Choworth, Nottinghamshire. In the period, 1521–2, Cuthbert Langton sued Christopher
    FitzRandolph and Randall Revel in the Court of Requests regarding lands in Durly Hucknall within the manor of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire. In the period, 1538–44, he and Joan his wife sued Robert Hyhege and Roger Mottram in Chancery regarding the
    detention of deeds relating to a close in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. In 1544–51, he and Joan his wife sued Roger Grenehalgh regarding land in Hucknall under Huthwaite (in Skegby), Nottinghamshire held of the king’s manor of Mansfield,
    Nottinghamshire. In 1550 he and Joan his wife sued George Vernon, Esq., in Chancery regarding one messuage, garden, and 60 acres of land in Birchehills, Derbyshire. In 1551–3 John Saurysbye sued William Awsebroke, Christopher Fitz Randolph and John his
    son regarding land in Kirkby[-in-Ashfield], Nottinghamshire leased by the said Christopher to complainant jointly with the said William. CHRISTOPHER FITZ RANDOLPH, Gent., died shortly before 26 April 1570, on which date administration on his estate was
    granted to Thomas, his eldest son, and his widow, Jane. His widow, Jane, left a will dated 30 July 1573, proved 2 April 1574, requesting buried in the church of Kirkby –in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire near her mother.

References:

and Indexes 38) (1912): 79; 7 (PRO Lists and Indexes 50) (1926): 43; 8 (PRO Lists and Indexes 51) (1929): 82; 9 (PRO Lists and Indexes 54) (1933): 48, 333. Desc. Cat. Ancient Deeds 6 (1915): 493. NEHGR 97 (1943): 295–298; 99 (1945): 335–336. Chancery
    Decree Rolls (C.78) (List & Index Soc. 160) (1979): 54. Chancery Final Decrees, C78/6, no. 52, Year: 1550 (http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT7/C78/C78no6/IMG_0049.htm). National Archives, C 1/504/51; C 1/983/17-18; C 1/1221/26-28; C 1/1315/9-10; REQ 2/1/14 (
    available at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk).
    Thank you so much, Douglas. This is very helpful!
    Douglas, I wonder if any researcher has tried to connect the Antony Burgh cited in Christopher "parson's" 1516 will -- the parson, presumed uncle of Christopher who m. Joan Langton -- to John Burgh of East Hawkswell, the husband of Margaret FiztRandolph,
    daughter of Sir John Fitz and wife Joan Conyers. This Antony could be the parson's nephew, since Margaret FitzRandolph Burgh was his sister. Could there be mention somewhere of Margaret and John's children? It's hard to know exactly what avenues of
    research have already been pursued or even exhausted. Any insight appreciated. Thank you so much.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Vance Mead@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 24 00:30:47 2022
    Christopher Randolph occurs twice in Common Pleas in 1548, once as Christopher Fitzrandell
    and once as Christopher Fytherandulphe.

Christopher Fitzrandell, of Kirkeby in Ashefeld, gentleman http://aalt.law.uh.edu/aalt1/E6/CP40no1135/bCP40no1135dorses/IMG_1819.htm

Christopher Fytherandulphe, of Westwode, Kirkby in Ashfield, gentleman http://aalt.law.uh.edu/aalt1/E6/CP40no1135/bCP40no1135dorses/IMG_1607.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to vance...@yahoo.com on Thu Mar 24 06:53:27 2022
    On Thursday, March 24, 2022 at 3:30:49 AM UTC-4, vance...@yahoo.com wrote:
    Christopher Randolph occurs twice in Common Pleas in 1548, once as Christopher Fitzrandell
    and once as Christopher Fytherandulphe.

Christopher Fitzrandell, of Kirkeby in Ashefeld, gentleman http://aalt.law.uh.edu/aalt1/E6/CP40no1135/bCP40no1135dorses/IMG_1819.htm

Christopher Fytherandulphe, of Westwode, Kirkby in Ashfield, gentleman http://aalt.law.uh.edu/aalt1/E6/CP40no1135/bCP40no1135dorses/IMG_1607.htm
    Vance, thank you. Can't wait to look at these. I'm feeling stumped about whether to try to further research this Christopher, his uncle or cousin, the parson, etc..

If renowned professionals John Insley Coddington and Douglas Richardson and associated folks haven't proven a connection to a father of Chris, does that mean it's probably not doable...that records don't exist that might make a stronger case? How would I
    know what has already been done and looked at, if there is no comprehensive, foot-noted explanation of the evidence so far? How would I know if records not available to those researchers are now more accessible? How would I know how exhaustive the search
    so far has been?

Would love to hear from folks about these kinds of questions related to their own lines of interest. How do we know when to "never give up" and when to "be realistic" LOL?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 24 07:42:16 2022
    On Thursday, March 24, 2022 at 6:53:28 AM UTC-7, Girl57 wrote:
    If renowned professionals John Insley Coddington and Douglas Richardson and associated folks haven't proven a connection to a father of Chris, does that mean it's probably not doable...that records don't exist that might make a stronger case? How would
    I know what has already been done and looked at, if there is no comprehensive, foot-noted explanation of the evidence so far? How would I know if records not available to those researchers are now more accessible? How would I know how exhaustive the
    search so far has been?

Welcome to medieval genealogy?!? For that matter, all scholarship is plagued by this - one can only publish positive results, not thorough research finding nothing useful. As a result, a lot of time is wasted reinventing the wheel (or rather,
    reinventing the failure to produce a wheel).

That said, two things can be safely assumed. First, that there are more records acessible now than when any past researcher did their study, even if relatively recently, and Second, that no researcher actually looked at every single relevant record
    available in their time, let alone available now.

The take-home is that you can never really know what has been consulted by those in the past, whether there will be a better answer in the records available now, though certainly there is a greater chance of finding something novel in addressing a
    question that has not been as thoroughly studied. However, it would nonetheless not be a complete waste of time to look into it anyhow - even it one finds nothing additional, that is how one learns about the process and sources of medieval genealogy,
    and the experience will be beneficial even if there is no better outcome.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Vance Mead@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 24 08:38:53 2022
    It is theoretically possible that records exist to prove Christopher's ancestry, though you might search for years and never find them. There are about 10 million images of records in AALT, of which about one million are 1450-1550. Of these about a tenth
    have been indexed.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to taf on Thu Mar 24 08:16:58 2022
    On Thursday, March 24, 2022 at 10:42:18 AM UTC-4, taf wrote:
    On Thursday, March 24, 2022 at 6:53:28 AM UTC-7, Girl57 wrote:
    If renowned professionals John Insley Coddington and Douglas Richardson and associated folks haven't proven a connection to a father of Chris, does that mean it's probably not doable...that records don't exist that might make a stronger case? How
    would I know what has already been done and looked at, if there is no comprehensive, foot-noted explanation of the evidence so far? How would I know if records not available to those researchers are now more accessible? How would I know how exhaustive
    the search so far has been?

Welcome to medieval genealogy?!? For that matter, all scholarship is plagued by this - one can only publish positive results, not thorough research finding nothing useful. As a result, a lot of time is wasted reinventing the wheel (or rather,
    reinventing the failure to produce a wheel).

That said, two things can be safely assumed. First, that there are more records acessible now than when any past researcher did their study, even if relatively recently, and Second, that no researcher actually looked at every single relevant record
    available in their time, let alone available now.

The take-home is that you can never really know what has been consulted by those in the past, whether there will be a better answer in the records available now, though certainly there is a greater chance of finding something novel in addressing a
    question that has not been as thoroughly studied. However, it would nonetheless not be a complete waste of time to look into it anyhow - even it one finds nothing additional, that is how one learns about the process and sources of medieval genealogy, and
    the experience will be beneficial even if there is no better outcome.

taf
    taf, That's the answer I wanted LOL! You hit the nail on the head...It would be an adventure to embark on this and enjoy it no matter the outcome. It would demand, though, something I've been horrible at in past...Carefully documenting each source, and
    recording even tiny new insights. Do researchers here ever ask for help reading documents written in Latin? This part scares me. Also, is it common for folks trying to solve this kind of genealogical problem to research "out..." to extend study quite a
    ways into the lives and paper trails of numerous other families (for example, people named as witnesses in the subject's presumed relatives' wills)?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 25 03:31:01 2022
    On Thursday, March 24, 2022 at 8:17:00 AM UTC-7, Girl57 wrote:
    Do researchers here ever ask for help reading documents written in Latin?

Yes. Often they receive that help, though not always in the context of the group.

Also, is it common for folks trying to solve this kind of genealogical problem to research "out..." to extend study quite a ways into the lives and paper trails of numerous other families (for example, people named as witnesses in the subject's presumed
    relatives' wills)?

I guess it depends on how you define 'quite a ways'. I have certainly followed up people named vaguely as 'cousins' in wills to see if I could reconstruct enough of their parentage to determine potential avenues for the relationship (and hence
    potentially lead to ancestry of the person I was originally researching), but then, I once spent a good bit of effort tracking down the sourcing for the fact that an ancestor's second cousin's adopted daughter's birth father's half-grandniece's stepson
    was Bram Stoker, so I am perhaps not the best person to answer that question.

The farther away you get, the less likely you are to find something useful (and the harder it is to even identify research targets), so at some point the minimal chance of success becomes so minimal that one's time is better spent shifting to a different
    genealogical brick wall rather than ineffectually repeatedly banging your head against the same one from farther and farther away. I have had the best success on truly problem questions, not by such grinding away, but by stepping away and coming back to
    the question years later, when it could be approached with a fresh mind and fresh ideas.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to taf on Sat Mar 26 07:13:14 2022
    On Friday, March 25, 2022 at 6:31:03 AM UTC-4, taf wrote:
    Yes. Often they receive that help, though not always in the context of the group.
    Also, is it common for folks trying to solve this kind of genealogical problem to research "out..." to extend study quite a ways into the lives and paper trails of numerous other families (for example, people named as witnesses in the subject's
    presumed relatives' wills)?
    I guess it depends on how you define 'quite a ways'. I have certainly followed up people named vaguely as 'cousins' in wills to see if I could reconstruct enough of their parentage to determine potential avenues for the relationship (and hence
    potentially lead to ancestry of the person I was originally researching), but then, I once spent a good bit of effort tracking down the sourcing for the fact that an ancestor's second cousin's adopted daughter's birth father's half-grandniece's stepson

The farther away you get, the less likely you are to find something useful (and the harder it is to even identify research targets), so at some point the minimal chance of success becomes so minimal that one's time is better spent shifting to a
    different genealogical brick wall rather than ineffectually repeatedly banging your head against the same one from farther and farther away. I have had the best success on truly problem questions, not by such grinding away, but by stepping away and
    coming back to the question years later, when it could be approached with a fresh mind and fresh ideas.

taf
    I have also spent time far afield, sometimes to ultimate positive effect and others to futility-but-fun. Good advice. For this project, I've made a list of questions I'd like to try to answer, and if this becomes just too tough, I'll take a break and
    come back later.

Today, I'm having trouble understanding a reference in the 1540 will of Sir Godfrey Foljambe of Walton and Aldwarke (Derby)...the reference mentions my ancestor Christopher FitzRandolph and his wife and their son; the son married Sir G's daughter,
    Katherine. Will here, on FamilySearch.org, from p. 178 of "North Country Wills..."

https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/viewer/617257/?offset=0#page=185&viewer=picture&o=&n=0&q=

The excerpt reads:

"...Also I will that my son James have...the order, rule, and governance and mariage of Cristofer Fitzrandolf and Jane his wyfe , for the mariage of Thomas Fitzrandolff their son and heire, or any other of their sones whiche shall fortune to be ther
    heire and maryed to Katherin Foliambe my doughter...or els to suche other gentilwoman as I shulde assigne."

Does this mean that since the testator may not be around, he is giving to his son and heir the right to oversee the execution of his sister's already-made marriage contract, which has not yet been fulfilled? That if Thomas dies, another FitzRandolph son
    could take his place, and that if Katherine dies, James could substitute someone else (perhaps a sister of Katherine's, or a cousin, etc.)?

Sir Godfrey looks to have been a person of some wealth and had served Kings Henry VII and VIII as "esquire of the body," and fought with Henry VIII in France.

Were marriage contracts like this one recorded by/with an ecclesiastical court? If I could find it, it might give me some useful info about ancestor Christopher FitzRandolph, his social standing, details about family, etc.?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 28 10:32:01 2022
    On Saturday, March 26, 2022 at 7:13:16 AM UTC-7, Girl57 wrote:
    On Friday, March 25, 2022 at 6:31:03 AM UTC-4, taf wrote:
    Also, is it common for folks trying to solve this kind of genealogical problem to research "out..." to extend study quite a ways into the lives and paper trails of numerous other families (for example, people named as witnesses in the subject's
    presumed relatives' wills)?

The farther away you get, the less likely you are to find something useful (and the harder it is to even identify research targets), so at some point the minimal chance of success becomes so minimal that one's time is better spent shifting to a
    different genealogical brick wall rather than ineffectually repeatedly banging your head against the same one from farther and farther away. I have had the best success on truly problem questions, not by such grinding away, but by stepping away and
    coming back to the question years later, when it could be approached with a fresh mind and fresh ideas.

taf
    I have also spent time far afield, sometimes to ultimate positive effect and others to futility-but-fun. Good advice. For this project, I've made a list of questions I'd like to try to answer, and if this becomes just too tough, I'll take a break and
    come back later.

Today, I'm having trouble understanding a reference in the 1540 will of Sir Godfrey Foljambe of Walton and Aldwarke (Derby)...the reference mentions my ancestor Christopher FitzRandolph and his wife and their son; the son married Sir G's daughter,
    Katherine. Will here, on FamilySearch.org, from p. 178 of "North Country Wills..."

https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/viewer/617257/?offset=0#page=185&viewer=picture&o=&n=0&q=

The excerpt reads:

"...Also I will that my son James have...the order, rule, and governance and mariage of Cristofer Fitzrandolf and Jane his wyfe , for the mariage of Thomas Fitzrandolff their son and heire, or any other of their sones whiche shall fortune to be ther
    heire and maryed to Katherin Foliambe my doughter...or els to suche other gentilwoman as I shulde assigne."

Does this mean that since the testator may not be around, he is giving to his son and heir the right to oversee the execution of his sister's already-made marriage contract, which has not yet been fulfilled? That if Thomas dies, another FitzRandolph
    son could take his place, and that if Katherine dies, James could substitute someone else (perhaps a sister of Katherine's, or a cousin, etc.)?

Sir Godfrey looks to have been a person of some wealth and had served Kings Henry VII and VIII as "esquire of the body," and fought with Henry VIII in France.

Were marriage contracts like this one recorded by/with an ecclesiastical court? If I could find it, it might give me some useful info about ancestor Christopher FitzRandolph, his social standing, details about family, etc.?

This marriage is not recognized in

http://www.archive.org/stream/lincolnshirepedi01madd#page/n758/mode/1up

It's possible this contract was broken ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 29 08:44:22 2022
    This is a very odd will

https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/viewer/617257/?offset=0#page=185&viewer=picture&o=search&n=0&q=Foljambe

I note in particular this strange phrasing "Bennet my daughter begotten of Joane Mansfield"
    This strikes very well an idea that this particular Bennet was illegitimate
    and her next sister Katherine mentioned here, as well "begotten as abovesaid" (i.e also of Joane Mansfield)

So I would venture that we are dealing with two distinct Benedictas and Katherines
    One pair legitimate (and much older) off Catherine Leeke
    The other illegitimate off this Joan Mansfield

Godfrey did outlive his wife by 12 years

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 29 08:29:22 2022
    There seems to be some oddity about this Catherine Foljambe

http://books.google.com/books?id=ofsUAAAAQAAJ&dq=Cuthbert%20Langton&lr&pg=PA187#v=onepage&q=Cuthbert%20Langton&f=true
    Vis Nott, 1569 and 1614 by William Flower

http://www.archive.org/stream/lincolnshirepedi01madd#page/n758/mode/1up
    Linc. Ped. "second daughter" "born 1509"

FILE [no title] - ref. DD/FJ/4/7/6 - date: 21 June 1513
    [from Scope and Content] Will of Godfrey Fulgeham, esq.,
    "intending to go over the see with the kynges grace". Mentions wife
    Katheryne, sons Jas. and Godfrey, ds. Bennette and Katheryne wife of
    Thos. Nevyll, mother Bennet F., and brother Roger F.

It seems remarkable to me, that a girl supposedly born in 1509 would be described in 1513 (at age 3 or 4?) as the wife of Thomas Neville above.

That this 1513 document is that Godfrey whose mother was Benedicta Vernon is of no doubt. "Bennet" being a familiar form.

Thomas Neville of Holt, co Leic; Sheriff co Leic 1539 apparently is that one who died in 1569. However he is supposed to have married thirdly to Margaret Danvers *by* 1539

Clearly this reconstruction is impossible if Katherine is yet mentioned living in her fathers 1540 will

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Wed Mar 30 05:47:50 2022
    On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 11:44:24 AM UTC-4, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    This is a very odd will

https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/viewer/617257/?offset=0#page=185&viewer=picture&o=search&n=0&q=Foljambe

I note in particular this strange phrasing "Bennet my daughter begotten of Joane Mansfield"
    This strikes very well an idea that this particular Bennet was illegitimate and her next sister Katherine mentioned here, as well "begotten as abovesaid" (i.e also of Joane Mansfield)

So I would venture that we are dealing with two distinct Benedictas and Katherines

wjhons, when I first read the will, I realized I'd never seen this kind of wording. Went over it several times and came to same conclusion you did. Then, did some searching and found a book that cites this Sir Godfrey as the father of illegitimate
    children (but I couldn't access any other detail):

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335914165_The_gentleman's_mistress_Illegitimate_relationships_and_children_1450-1640

Was it unusual for testators to mention their illegitimate children in a will, or not necessarily? Maybe this mention appeared because the younger Katherine and Bennet were born after Sir Godfrey's wife's death?

I think the contract was kept, as my Thomas FitzRandolph mentions his deceased wife Katherine in his will, and this union appears in the Fitz-Randolfe pedigree in Visitation of Nottingham, 1569 and 1614.

Was Sir Godfrey's other Katherine married to a Neville? Was Joan Mansfield likely a gentlewoman, or not necessarily?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 30 08:21:07 2022
    On Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 5:47:52 AM UTC-7, Girl57 wrote:
    On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 11:44:24 AM UTC-4, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    This is a very odd will

This strikes very well an idea that this particular Bennet was illegitimate
    and her next sister Katherine mentioned here, as well "begotten as abovesaid" (i.e also of Joane Mansfield)

wjhons, when I first read the will, I realized I'd never seen this kind of wording. Went over it several times and came to same conclusion you did. Then, did some searching and found a book that cites this Sir Godfrey as the father of illegitimate
    children (but I couldn't access any other detail):

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335914165_The_gentleman's_mistress_Illegitimate_relationships_and_children_1450-1640

Was it unusual for testators to mention their illegitimate children in a will, or not necessarily? Maybe this mention appeared because the younger Katherine and Bennet were born after Sir Godfrey's wife's death?

I think the contract was kept, as my Thomas FitzRandolph mentions his deceased wife Katherine in his will, and this union appears in the Fitz-Randolfe pedigree in Visitation of Nottingham, 1569 and 1614.

Was Sir Godfrey's other Katherine married to a Neville? Was Joan Mansfield likely a gentlewoman, or not necessarily?

I would say some will mention children clearly illegitimate.
    I've not seen a case where the mother is named like this however

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Dickinson@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 11 03:44:35 2022
    "Was it unusual for testators to mention their illegitimate children in a will,"

Look at it this way. An illegitimate child was not going to get any automatic inheritance. If the testator was emotionally close, then the child/adult would be provided for during the testator's life or by will. If the child was the result of a momentary
    romp in a haystack, and never endeared to the father, then it was unlikely to get much if anything. That's life.

Unusual, no.

Chris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Dickinson@21:1/5 to Chris Dickinson on Mon Apr 11 05:53:50 2022
    On Monday, 11 April 2022 at 11:44:36 UTC+1, Chris Dickinson wrote:
    "Was it unusual for testators to mention their illegitimate children in a will,"
    Look at it this way. An illegitimate child was not going to get any automatic inheritance. If the testator was emotionally close, then the child/adult would be provided for during the testator's life or by will. If the child was the result of a
    momentary romp in a haystack, and never endeared to the father, then it was unlikely to get much if anything. That's life.

Unusual, no.

Chris

" never endeared to the father"

I realise that I've been sexist here!

I can give an example of a woman protecting her illegitimate child, though it's at the very end of the Medieval-Early Modern period that you specify. This was in the 1681 will of Elizabeth Bowman of Lingcroft in Lamplugh. Her husband had died in 1665,
    and I imagine as a wealthy and powerful widow she was comforted. Her illegitimate daughter Hannah Dixon al Bowman was provided for in her will, and eventually married reasonably well.

Going back three generations in her husband's family, Henry Bowman (died 1617) had married Dorothy Woodhall, niece of Edmund Grindal, future Archibishop of Canterbury.

Henry and Dorothy had a son William born before marriage in 1566, so illegitimate. Not only is that clear from BMD records, but Henry wrote in his will that:

"I give unto my son William that which is in his hand in full consideration of his child part & portion which they & any of them shall claim & challenge after my death"

William, as well as having other legacies, was apparitor of the local ecclesiastical court.

Chris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to Chris Dickinson on Mon Apr 11 08:35:07 2022
    On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 8:53:51 AM UTC-4, Chris Dickinson wrote:
    Look at it this way. An illegitimate child was not going to get any automatic inheritance. If the testator was emotionally close, then the child/adult would be provided for during the testator's life or by will. If the child was the result of a
    momentary romp in a haystack, and never endeared to the father, then it was unlikely to get much if anything. That's life.

Unusual, no.

Chris

I can give an example of a woman protecting her illegitimate child, though it's at the very end of the Medieval-Early Modern period that you specify. This was in the 1681 will of Elizabeth Bowman of Lingcroft in Lamplugh. Her husband had died in 1665,
    and I imagine as a wealthy and powerful widow she was comforted. Her illegitimate daughter Hannah Dixon al Bowman was provided for in her will, and eventually married reasonably well.

Going back three generations in her husband's family, Henry Bowman (died 1617) had married Dorothy Woodhall, niece of Edmund Grindal, future Archibishop of Canterbury.

Henry and Dorothy had a son William born before marriage in 1566, so illegitimate. Not only is that clear from BMD records, but Henry wrote in his will that:

"I give unto my son William that which is in his hand in full consideration of his child part & portion which they & any of them shall claim & challenge after my death"

William, as well as having other legacies, was apparitor of the local ecclesiastical court.

Chris
    Chris, thank you, as usual. Great insight from your example. I guess Sir Godfrey Foljambe was being quite magnanimous -- and I have him to thank for knowing what I know. I'm gaining more appreciation for the challenges that women faced in those times.
    New hashtag...#MedievalLadiesUnite...#MeTooEarlyModern...

I'd love to find the marriage contract for Thomas FitzRandolph and Katherine Foljambe, if one exists. Would a marriage contract have been a record of an ecclesiastical court? Were marriage contracts unlike records such as parish registers and probate...a
    different animal, which might or might not have been kept, and there's no telling where it might be, if it exists at all?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Dickinson@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 11 10:11:58 2022
    On Monday, 11 April 2022 at 16:35:09 UTC+1, Girl57 wrote:

Unusual, no.

Chris

Chris
    Chris, thank you, as usual. Great insight from your example. I guess Sir Godfrey Foljambe was being quite magnanimous -- and I have him to thank for knowing what I know. I'm gaining more appreciation for the challenges that women faced in those times.
    New hashtag...#MedievalLadiesUnite...#MeTooEarlyModern...

I'd love to find the marriage contract for Thomas FitzRandolph and Katherine Foljambe, if one exists. Would a marriage contract have been a record of an ecclesiastical court? Were marriage contracts unlike records such as parish registers and probate...
    a different animal, which might or might not have been kept, and there's no telling where it might be, if it exists at all?

I'm not aware that marriage contracts were kept in ecclesiastical courts, but am quite happy to be proved wrong. Not my area of knowledge.

The only contracts that I've seen have been from private records.

Chris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cindy H.@21:1/5 to Chris Dickinson on Mon Apr 11 11:12:52 2022

Unusual, no.

Chris

Chris
    Maybe the father would also provide for his illegitimate child if he retained fond memories of the mother but for some reason hadn't married her? I'm thinking of Cardinal Henry Beaufort for whom marriage was impossible if he had already taken holy
    orders or planned to do so and advance in the Church.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to Cindy H. on Mon Apr 11 16:17:47 2022
    On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 2:12:54 PM UTC-4, Cindy H. wrote:

Unusual, no.

Chris

Chris
    Maybe the father would also provide for his illegitimate child if he retained fond memories of the mother but for some reason hadn't married her? I'm thinking of Cardinal Henry Beaufort for whom marriage was impossible if he had already taken holy
    Cindy, that seems like a good possibility to me.

Now I'm remembering...I don't think Sir Godfrey actually left anything to Katherine, his illegitimate daughter who married Thomas FitzRandolph, in the will; I think she was mentioned only because he put her marriage arrangements in the charge of his son,
    her half-brother, James. Maybe, as Chris said above, he had provided well for her during his life.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cindy H.@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 11 19:01:07 2022
    On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 7:17:49 PM UTC-4, Girl57 wrote:
    On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 2:12:54 PM UTC-4, Cindy H. wrote:

Unusual, no.

Chris

I can give an example of a woman protecting her illegitimate child, though it's at the very end of the Medieval-Early Modern period that you specify. This was in the 1681 will of Elizabeth Bowman of Lingcroft in Lamplugh. Her husband had died in
    1665, and I imagine as a wealthy and powerful widow she was comforted. Her illegitimate daughter Hannah Dixon al Bowman was provided for in her will, and eventually married reasonably well.

Chris
    Cindy, that seems like a good possibility to me.

Now I'm remembering...I don't think Sir Godfrey actually left anything to Katherine, his illegitimate daughter who married Thomas FitzRandolph, in the will; I think she was mentioned only because he put her marriage arrangements in the charge of his
    son, her half-brother, James. Maybe, as Chris said above, he had provided well for her during his life.
    Certainly a possibility!

~Cindy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05