• Milles, Catalogue of Honor, 1610

From taf@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 14 10:09:42 2021
    In 1610, Thomas Milles, nephew of noted herald Robert Glover, published an English translation of the latter's royal genealogy, entitled Catalogue of Honor, running more than 1000 pages. Is anyone aware of a copy of this work viewable online?

Google Books has an entry for it, but has it completely blocked, which obviously has absolutely nothing to do with copyright.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From J. Sardina@21:1/5 to taf on Sat Aug 14 11:16:26 2021
    On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 1:09:44 PM UTC-4, taf wrote:
    In 1610, Thomas Milles, nephew of noted herald Robert Glover, published an English translation of the latter's royal genealogy, entitled Catalogue of Honor, running more than 1000 pages. Is anyone aware of a copy of this work viewable online?

Google Books has an entry for it, but has it completely blocked, which obviously has absolutely nothing to do with copyright.

taf

Hello,

There is an interesting article about a certain page of it, and apparently there are a few copies.

http://www.adamghooks.net/2011/07/catalogue-of-dishonor.html

J. Sardina

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to J. Sardina on Sat Aug 14 11:24:53 2021
    On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 11:16:28 AM UTC-7, J. Sardina wrote:
    On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 1:09:44 PM UTC-4, taf wrote:

taf
    Hello,

There is an interesting article about a certain page of it, and apparently there are a few copies.

http://www.adamghooks.net/2011/07/catalogue-of-dishonor.html

J. Sardina

It seems from this and a few other citations

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Inquiries_Into_the_Origin_and_Progress_o/A-JBAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22thomas%20milles%22%20catalogue&pg=PA244&printsec=frontcover&bsq=%22thomas%20milles%22%20catalogue

that Fuller used this MS in his work Worthies
    and that it was based on notes by his uncle Richard Glover

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to J. Sardina on Sat Aug 14 13:09:43 2021
    On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 11:16:28 AM UTC-7, J. Sardina wrote:

Yes, there are dozens of copies of it in libraries and private collections across the world, but the only scans I have found online, aside from single random pages given as examples of the content, are as part of a collection of early English books
    accessible only through subscriptions sold to libraries or other organizations with deep pockets. I was hoping someone knew of a copy somewhere that was readily accessible.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to taf on Sun Aug 15 09:33:34 2021
    On 15-Aug-21 3:09 AM, taf wrote:

Cold comfort, but the Latin treatise by Glover translated as preface to
    the book is available here:

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=iwEA7aLfsUUC

When they get round to digitising it, the Bodleian library's copy will
    have some extra interest - on the title page is noted by hand:
    "Examined, and the Printers Errors and Translators mistakinges in sondry
    Places corrected by William Camden ... and Tho. Milles ... the Publisher hereof".

Wasn't the Bodleian a Google partner? If so, maybe they too are
    constrained by the honour among thieves that absurdly leads Google to
    block out-of-copyright books which have been reprinted in facsimile.

But in this case no such edition appears to have been issued, at any
    rate recently, so maybe its absence from view is just laziness on the
    part of several partner libraries holding copies. My local state library
    has one, that I have never looked at, but it is inaccessible at present
    due to Covid 19.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to pss...@optusnet.com.au on Sat Aug 14 18:30:18 2021
    On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 4:33:39 PM UTC-7, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:
    have some extra interest

[snip]

The Bodleyan is one of those who, through a partner, is selling by-subscription access to a digital collection of Early English books, including this work. There is probably something in their contractual arrangement with Google that protects this
    product.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J. Sardina@21:1/5 to taf on Sat Aug 14 18:40:33 2021
    On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 9:30:20 PM UTC-4, taf wrote:
    When they get round to digitising it, the Bodleian library's copy will have some extra interest
    [snip]
    Wasn't the Bodleian a Google partner? If so, maybe they too are constrained by the honour among thieves that absurdly leads Google to block out-of-copyright books which have been reprinted in facsimile.
    The Bodleyan is one of those who, through a partner, is selling by-subscription access to a digital collection of Early English books, including this work. There is probably something in their contractual arrangement with Google that protects this
    product.

taf

And what about the microfilm copies?

Would the Mormons have one by any chance?
    Not that it would be easy to visit a center due to Covid.

I was a little bit surprised that some copies of what appears to be the only edition of 1610 are available for sale at antique book shops.

J. Sardina

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to taf on Sun Aug 15 12:20:34 2021
    On 15-Aug-21 11:30 AM, taf wrote:
    have some extra interest

[snip]

product.

If there is a contractual obligation to fall in with Google's idiotic
    denial of access to public-domain books that some publisher is seeking
    to profit from, then happily several partner libraries are too
    right-minded and/or too careless to comply. Viewable copies can
    occasionally be found by text search that don't turn up from title or
    author searches.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to J. Sardina on Sat Aug 14 20:23:04 2021
    On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 6:40:34 PM UTC-7, J. Sardina wrote:

They have something that says it is taken from it, but it is from the 19th century, is a third of the size, and doesn't have the information my 1705 citation says should be there.

Most of the out-of-copyright books from their collection are viewable at home. They may, though, have a subscription to one of the services (piggybanking on BYU's) that could be accessed at a Family History Center, but I am temporarily on foot, so I
    would want to figure out for sure if access is available (and there isn't a better option) before I embark on the 12-mile walk, each way, to the nearest one.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From robert.thecomputerman@gmail.com@21:1/5 to taf on Sat Sep 11 12:31:52 2021
    On Sunday, August 15, 2021 at 12:23:05 AM UTC-3, taf wrote:
    On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 6:40:34 PM UTC-7, J. Sardina wrote:

They have something that says it is taken from it, but it is from the 19th century, is a third of the size, and doesn't have the information my 1705 citation says should be there.
    Most of the out-of-copyright books from their collection are viewable at home. They may, though, have a subscription to one of the services (piggybanking on BYU's) that could be accessed at a Family History Center, but I am temporarily on foot, so I
    would want to figure out for sure if access is available (and there isn't a better option) before I embark on the 12-mile walk, each way, to the nearest one.

taf

A copy is for sale here for 1,500 US if one has the means..

https://www.biblio.com/book/catalogue-honor-tresury-true-nobility-peculiar/d/320827691

Robert

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05