• Spam on this group

From Lori@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 13 10:33:29 2022
    Is there a reason sex for sale seems to show up on this site regularly? I belong to other groups where it is not a problem - ever. I have blocked so many conversations it is ridiculous and I think it is the same ppeople over and over again with different
    names.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ian Goddard@21:1/5 to Lori on Sun Mar 13 19:10:08 2022
    On 13/03/2022 17:33, Lori wrote:
    Is there a reason sex for sale seems to show up on this site regularly? I belong to other groups where it is not a problem - ever. I have blocked so many conversations it is ridiculous and I think it is the same ppeople over and over again with
    different names.

It's frequently the same people adding to the same thread. If you use a
    good newsgroup client you can simply makr the thread to be ignored. On Thunderbird and derivatives select the thread and type k for kill. Next
    time you come back to the group it won't be shown.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pj.evans88@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Lori on Sun Mar 13 11:49:26 2022
    On Sunday, March 13, 2022 at 10:33:31 AM UTC-7, Lori wrote:
    Is there a reason sex for sale seems to show up on this site regularly? I belong to other groups where it is not a problem - ever. I have blocked so many conversations it is ridiculous and I think it is the same ppeople over and over again with
    different names.

Some of it is how the groups is organized. What you can *do* is flag the posts as spam.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to Lori on Sun Mar 13 14:07:11 2022
    On Sunday, March 13, 2022 at 10:33:31 AM UTC-7, Lori wrote:
    Is there a reason sex for sale seems to show up on this site regularly?

There is no logic to it. It likely started when someone who participated in the group got infected by a virus that tracked their activitiy and harvested their address book to identify further targets. Most of the posts are actually coming from the same
    source, with the originating email addresses spoofed with harvested addresses to appear like the messages are coming from different people. Unfortunately, these target lists are bought and sold, so once a group gets on the target lists it stays on them
    forever.

And Google is unwilling to do anything about it. They won't block the originating addresses (which wouldn't help much anyhow because the originating addresses are spoofed) and they won't institute a spam filter because they put that responsibility on
    group-owners, but there is no such thing for soc.gen.med because Google decided to just pretend that Usenet groups were just like the groups people create directly on Google. The only exceptions are 1) blatantly hateful content, which is only addressed
    by post-moderation (the posts are deleted from the group months afterwards - this is what happens with some of the Italian 'everyone in the would should know that this person I don't like is a child molester' messages that sometimes appear here); and 2)
    when a group becomes so toxic that Google pulls the plug and entirely removes the group from their interface.

So, the takehome is that we are stuck with it. All you can do is use the tools within your software interface to not see the spam. (And to post relavant material, so the sex spam won't be as predominant).

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05