• John Howland

From Riley S@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 20 13:23:17 2021
    Can someone please help me ? Did I see that several years ago someone linked Mayflower passenger John Howland's family to an Earl or a Baron ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to Riley S on Mon Sep 20 16:41:31 2021
    On Monday, September 20, 2021 at 1:23:19 PM UTC-7, Riley S wrote:
    Can someone please help me ? Did I see that several years ago someone linked Mayflower passenger John Howland's family to an Earl or a Baron ?

Was your family one of the 439 heirs discovered when attempting to distribute the multi-million dollar estate of Sylvia Howland.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to Riley S on Mon Sep 20 18:48:22 2021

I am unaware of such a discovery. Not too long ago, of the Mayflower passengers only the More siblings had a known royal descent, and since royal blood tricked down to almost all Earls and most Baronial lines before very long, this would make such a
    line for Howland unlikely. I cannot, however, exclude the possibility that a discovery has been made that that has not come to my attention.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Riley S@21:1/5 to taf on Tue Sep 21 13:20:56 2021
    On Monday, September 20, 2021 at 8:48:23 PM UTC-5, taf wrote:
    I am unaware of such a discovery. Not too long ago, of the Mayflower passengers only the More siblings had a known royal descent, and since royal blood tricked down to almost all Earls and most Baronial lines before very long, this would make such a
    line for Howland unlikely. I cannot, however, exclude the possibility that a discovery has been made that that has not come to my attention.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Leslie Mahler@21:1/5 to Riley S on Tue Sep 21 15:23:41 2021
    On Tuesday, September 21, 2021 at 2:20:58 PM UTC-6, Riley S wrote:
    On Monday, September 20, 2021 at 8:48:23 PM UTC-5, taf wrote:

taf

If something new had been discovered about John Howland's ancestry,
    Caleb Johnson would know about it.

http://mayflowerhistory.com/howland/

Leslie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pgifford772@gmail.com@21:1/5 to wjhonson on Fri Oct 1 20:23:22 2021
    On Monday, September 20, 2021 at 7:41:33 PM UTC-4, wjhonson wrote:
    Was your family one of the 439 heirs discovered when attempting to distribute the multi-million dollar estate of Sylvia Howland.

These were outlined in the book _Howland Heirs_, published in the teens. Her ancestor, Isaac Howland, was the first generation to accumulate considerable capital. My 4g aunt, Ruth Butts, was his second wife, but had no surviving children. Her
    relatives all named children after him in the hopes he would leave them something. Of course he didn't.

Hettie Howland Green was called the "Witch of Wall Street."

Paul Gifford

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Riley S@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 12 13:19:28 2021
    When I recently asked about Mayflower passenger John Howland of Fenstanton , Huntingtonshire being related to a noble family , I had the right name but the wrong person . John Howland (1649 - 1686) of Streatham , Surrey had a daughter , Elizabeth , who
    married the 2nd Duke of Bedford . It is interesting that Mayflower John's wife was named Elizabeth too . Can someone tell me if the counties of Surrey and Huntingtonshire are near each other ? Could someone tell me some more about John Howland who was
    the Duke of Bedford's father - in -law ? Could these two possibly be related ? Thanks !

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to Riley S on Tue Oct 12 14:43:35 2021
    On Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 1:19:29 PM UTC-7, Riley S wrote:

It is interesting that Mayflower John's wife was named Elizabeth too.

Happenstance. John was one of the the most common male names in England, and Elizabeth one of the most common female names, so you are bound to have numerous Johns who were married to Elizabeths, for every non-rare surname.

Can someone tell me if the counties of Surrey and Huntingtonshire are near each other?

'Near' is a relative term. They are 'near' compared to the distance between Yorkshire and Cornwall, but Surrey is south of the river from London, while Hunts is four counties away, north-north-east of London and near Cambridge. That said, the gentry
    classes often interacted, via London, with people from across the kingdom and this resulted in marriages and land purchases, and the consequent residences of relatives, in distant counties.

Could someone tell me some more about John Howland who was the Duke of Bedford's
    father - in -law ?

There is a little about him in the VCH Surrey description of Streatham: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/surrey/vol4/pp92-102

Could these two possibly be related ? Thanks !

Could they be related? sure, anything is possible, but the name is a generic topographical name (basically, 'land of mounds or hillocks'), so there is no reason to think every family of this name arose from the same location.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05