• OT: Russian invasion of Ukraine

From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 24 17:42:53 2022
    I know this is off topic, but what do you think of the Russian invasion of Ukraine? I view it as a violation of international law and support seizing sending military aid to Ukraine, seize all Russian assets in the West and launching a trade embargo.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Lori@21:1/5 to Paulo Ricardo Canedo on Fri Feb 25 09:36:50 2022
    On Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 7:42:55 PM UTC-6, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    I know this is off topic, but what do you think of the Russian invasion of Ukraine? I view it as a violation of international law and support seizing sending military aid to Ukraine, seize all Russian assets in the West and launching a trade embargo.
    I agree with everything you said and I believe that the reason Putin invaded is because the rest of the world said they would not send troops to Ukraine. A free pass!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Johnny Brananas@21:1/5 to Lori on Fri Feb 25 10:24:03 2022
    On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 12:36:52 PM UTC-5, Lori wrote:
    I agree with everything you said and I believe that the reason Putin invaded is because the rest of the world said they would not send troops to Ukraine. A free pass!

It's because Trump got him all stirred up with silly flattery. Now under Biden, no one is paying attention so he has to do *something* to get noticed.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 25 15:55:16 2022
    PLEASE let's not do this.

As much as one might want to talk about disturbing current events, people come here for medieval genealogy - in some cases specifically to escape current events. If we start having conversations about whatever interests us, what genealogy there still is
    here will become completely swamped. People here have been complaining about the occasional spam we get, a few flurries of messages a few times a month. Though odious, you ain't seen nothing yet if we start attracting political trolls - they feed off
    each other, follow each other around, and spammers follow them like flies on . . . . . Soc.history.medieval went down this road, and became a cesspool. There was a time when this group could withstand a little bit of low-level off-topic discussion
    without getting overwhelmed, but that is no longer the case. We no longer have the traffic to support it. If people have to sort the two or three relevant genealogy messages a day we are now getting from among 100 irrelevant ones, they will stop
    participating in the genealogy discussions that bring people here to begin with.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From guineapigchumlee@gmail.com@21:1/5 to ravinma...@yahoo.com on Fri Feb 25 15:20:01 2022
    On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 1:24:05 PM UTC-5, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:
    On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 12:36:52 PM UTC-5, Lori wrote:
    I know this is off topic, but what do you think of the Russian invasion of Ukraine? I view it as a violation of international law and support seizing sending military aid to Ukraine, seize all Russian assets in the West and launching a trade
    embargo.
    It's because Trump got him all stirred up with silly flattery. Now under Biden, no one is paying attention so he has to do *something* to get noticed.

I fully support Ukraine's brave people. I thank God we do not have Trump to help Putin start WW3.
    Nancy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 25 17:14:22 2022
    A sexta-feira, 25 de fevereiro de 2022 à(s) 23:55:18 UTC, taf escreveu:
    PLEASE let's not do this.

As much as one might want to talk about disturbing current events, people come here for medieval genealogy - in some cases specifically to escape current events. If we start having conversations about whatever interests us, what genealogy there still
    is here will become completely swamped. People here have been complaining about the occasional spam we get, a few flurries of messages a few times a month. Though odious, you ain't seen nothing yet if we start attracting political trolls - they feed off
    each other, follow each other around, and spammers follow them like flies on . . . . . Soc.history.medieval went down this road, and became a cesspool. There was a time when this group could withstand a little bit of low-level off-topic discussion
    without getting overwhelmed, but that is no longer the case. We no longer have the traffic to support it. If people have to sort the two or three relevant genealogy messages a day we are now getting from among 100 irrelevant ones, they will stop
    participating in the genealogy discussions that bring people here to begin with.

taf

I am sorry. My only off topic posts before this were every year for Christmas and New Year and once at the start of the pandemic, to know how other members of the newsgroup were doing. Because of the dimension of this issue, I thought this would be
    acceptable.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darrell E. Larocque@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 25 17:32:20 2022
    I am sorry. My only off topic posts before this were every year for Christmas and New Year and once at the start of the pandemic, to know how other members of the newsgroup were doing. Because of the dimension of this issue, I thought this would be
    acceptable.

It's understandable... I thought the one thing that everyone could agree on was that Putin was evil, but this century has been so abysmal so far especially here in the USA that nothing surprises me anymore. Caring about others these days is evidently not
    the norm...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From guineapigchumlee@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Darrell E. Larocque on Fri Feb 25 18:16:35 2022
    On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 8:32:22 PM UTC-5, Darrell E. Larocque wrote:
    acceptable.
    It's understandable... I thought the one thing that everyone could agree on was that Putin was evil, but this century has been so abysmal so far especially here in the USA that nothing surprises me anymore. Caring about others these days is evidently
    not the norm...

Todd, you are right.
    Nancy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 27 16:43:26 2022
    A sábado, 26 de fevereiro de 2022 à(s) 02:16:36 UTC, guineapi...@gmail.com escreveu:
    On Friday, February 25, 2022 at 8:32:22 PM UTC-5, Darrell E. Larocque wrote:
    acceptable.
    It's understandable... I thought the one thing that everyone could agree on was that Putin was evil, but this century has been so abysmal so far especially here in the USA that nothing surprises me anymore. Caring about others these days is evidently
    not the norm...
    Todd, you are right.
    Nancy

No offense, but you quoted the wrong post.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05