• Peshall family

From J. Sardina@21:1/5 to Kay Allen AG on Fri Sep 17 05:27:11 2021
    On Monday, March 19, 2001 at 11:50:01 AM UTC-5, Kay Allen AG wrote:
    I have found this work somewhat less than reliable concerning the English Peshall family.
    Kay Allen AG
    Brice Clagett wrote:
    Re mwelch's inquiry: according to Clarence E. Pearsall et al., History and Genealogy of the Pearsall Family in England and America (1928), p. 778, Sir Thomas Le Grosvenor of Drayton, Shropshire, married Isabella Peshall, heiress of Bellaport,
    Shropshire, daughter of Richard de Peshall (whose ancestry is given) and Margaret Malpas.

Hello,

Coming back to this old topic, is there a better source on the English Peshalls from the 14th to the 16th century?
    It is not clear by reading the book which part is assumptions, which one possible or likely hypothesis and which one facts that can still be verified.

Some time ago i came across a coat of arms documented in the 16th century that seems to point to a possible connection in the 15th century or earlier to Peshall, de Lee and possibly Swinnerton families, but it lacks backing on documentation.

Thanks,

J. Sardina

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Patrick Nielsen Hayden@21:1/5 to J. Sardina on Mon Nov 15 03:44:58 2021
    On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 8:27:13 AM UTC-4, J. Sardina wrote:
    I have found this work somewhat less than reliable concerning the English Peshall family.
    Kay Allen AG
    Brice Clagett wrote:
    Re mwelch's inquiry: according to Clarence E. Pearsall et al., History and Genealogy of the Pearsall Family in England and America (1928), p. 778, Sir Thomas Le Grosvenor of Drayton, Shropshire, married Isabella Peshall, heiress of Bellaport,
    Shropshire, daughter of Richard de Peshall (whose ancestry is given) and Margaret Malpas.
    Hello,

Coming back to this old topic, is there a better source on the English Peshalls from the 14th to the 16th century?
    It is not clear by reading the book which part is assumptions, which one possible or likely hypothesis and which one facts that can still be verified.

Just as an aside, no doubt many people here know this already, but the 1928 History and Genealogy of the Pearsall Family in America by Clarence E. Pearsall et al. was the subject of a thunderously entertaining demolition by Herbert F. Seversmith and
    Arthur S. Wardwell, "The Fabulous Pearsalls," published in two parts in The American Genealogist in 1941 (volume 18, pages 78 and 153). Early on, Seversmith and Wardwell characterize the Pearsall genealogy as a work containing "some of the most erroneous
    and incompetent statements, some of the grossest misconstructions of family connections which have ever appeared in print." Further on, they get more worked up: "The many astounding details of this account leave us with a feeling of hopelessness, in view
    of the number of statements which must be countered." I'm sure some longtime SGM contributors know the feeling.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J. Sardina@21:1/5 to p...@panix.com on Sun Nov 28 05:45:21 2021
    On Monday, November 15, 2021 at 6:45:00 AM UTC-5, p...@panix.com wrote:
    On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 8:27:13 AM UTC-4, J. Sardina wrote:
    Kay Allen AG
    Brice Clagett wrote:
    Hello,

Just as an aside, no doubt many people here know this already, but the 1928 History and Genealogy of the Pearsall Family in America by Clarence E. Pearsall et al. was the subject of a thunderously entertaining demolition by Herbert F. Seversmith and
    Arthur S. Wardwell, "The Fabulous Pearsalls," published in two parts in The American Genealogist in 1941 (volume 18, pages 78 and 153). Early on, Seversmith and Wardwell characterize the Pearsall genealogy as a work containing "some of the most erroneous
    and incompetent statements, some of the grossest misconstructions of family connections which have ever appeared in print." Further on, they get more worked up: "The many astounding details of this account leave us with a feeling of hopelessness, in view
    of the number of statements which must be countered." I'm sure some longtime SGM contributors know the feeling.

Hello,

Thanks for the details. Some of the issues with that work are mentioned at various websites including

http://bowershomestead.com/-history-of-the-pearsall-family--corrections-and-q.html

I do not know if they extend to the earlier English generations, and in particular to those of the 14th and 15th centuries.

I have not been able to verify how the Pershall arms ended up as a quarter of the arms of the Lees of Shropshire as of the visitations, but at least in the printed version of the Lees lines, there is no Pershall marriage to account for them.

A chart attached to a recognition of arms made in 1558 also shows the same arms as a quarter of what appears to be Lee and Burnell, but without any genealogical details on the heraldic link.

J. Sardina

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05