• Grey of Codnor to Camoys to Campbell Co., Virginia

From Cindy H.@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 31 13:54:06 2022
    Gateway ancestor: Martha Ironmonger Jones of Northumberland Co. VA: See footnotes in second part of article by Paul C. Reed "The Royal Descent of the Bernard, Corderoy and Ironmonger Families of Virginia Through the Seymour Family" (TAG, Vol. 73, Oct.
    1998) Martha has a huge number of medieval ancestors. Here is one proposed line:

Grey of Codnor to Camoys to Campbell Co., VA

1. Henry de Grey=Isolda de Bardolph
    2. Richard de Grey=Lucy de Humes/Humez
    3. John de Grey=Lucy de Mohun
    4. Henry de Grey=Eleanor Courtenay
    5. Richard de Grey=Joan Fitzpayn
    6. Robert de Grey/Fitzpayn=Elizabeth de Bryan
    7. Isabel de Grey/Fitzpayn=Richard de Poynings
    8. Joan Poynings=Richard Camoys (s/o Thomas Camoys KG, who commanded the left wing of Henry V's army at Agincourt)

9. Margaret de Camoys=Ralph Radmylde
    10. Margaret Radmylde=John Goring
    11. John Goring= Joan Hewster

Note: The above John Goring, who married Margaret Radmylde, married second Joan, the widow of Humphrey Hewster. Joan had a daughter named Joan Hewster d/o Joan and Humphrey Hewster of London, who married John Goring, son of John Goring and Margaret
    Radmylde

12. John Goring=Constance Dyke
    13. Constance Goring=John Kingsmill
    14. Mary Kingsmill=Edward Goddard
    15. Bridget Goddard=William Corderoy
    16. Bridget Corderoy=Samuel Ironmonger
    17. Martha Ironmonger=Robert Jones Sr., (high sheriff of Northumberland Co. VA)

18. Robert Jones Jr.=Sarah Garlington
    19. Winifred Jones=Thomas Heath
    20. William Heath/Hayth (Bedford Co, VA to Campbell Co)=2nd UKN
    21. Lt. Thomas Hayth (First Lieutenant in Rev. War, some say Captain)=Martha Gilbert

22. Gilbert Hayth/Haythe of Campbell Co. VA=Elizabeth Carter Rucker of Amherst Co. VA, who is a descendant of Capt. Thomas Carter of "Barford" plantation, Lancaster Co. VA and Katherine Dale d/o Edward Dale and either his first unknown wife or Diana
    Skipwith

23. Judge John Gilbert Haythe=Cornelia Flora Haden, d/o Dr. Madison Haden of Evington, Campbell Co., VA. and Maria Louisa Watkins

Hope I got everything right!

~Cindy H.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Nathan Murphy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 1 17:38:25 2022
    21. Lt. Thomas Hayth (First Lieutenant in Rev. War, some say Captain)=Martha Gilbert

Cindy, I haven't personally researched the connection between generations 19 and 20, but I think your challenge will be to prove that Virginia portion of the lineage. Have you found evidence that William Heath/Hayth of Bedford and Campbell counties,
    Virginia was the son of Thomas and Winifred (Jones) Heath?

This researcher, for example, concludes that Thomas and Winifred's son went to North Carolina, rather than to Bedford County, Virginia: http://alliedfamilies.wordpress.com/virginia-and-maryland-heath-families/heaths-of-northern-neck/

Compare: https://alliedfamilies.wordpress.com/virginia-and-maryland-heath-families/william-heathhaythe-of-bedford-county/

Nathan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cindy H.@21:1/5 to nathan...@gmail.com on Thu Feb 3 08:21:52 2022
    On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 8:38:27 PM UTC-5, nathan...@gmail.com wrote:
    Cindy, I haven't personally researched the connection between generations 19 and 20, but I think your challenge will be to prove that Virginia portion of the lineage. Have you found evidence that William Heath/Hayth of Bedford and Campbell counties,

This researcher, for example, concludes that Thomas and Winifred's son went to North Carolina, rather than to Bedford County, Virginia: http://alliedfamilies.wordpress.com/virginia-and-maryland-heath-families/heaths-of-northern-neck/

Compare: https://alliedfamilies.wordpress.com/virginia-and-maryland-heath-families/william-heathhaythe-of-bedford-county/

Nathan
    Nathan,

You have indeed set me up a challenge! Others have made great efforts to research the Heaths of Northumberland without more results than have already been published. Time has also taken its toll. The Parish Registry of Wicomico Church, for example,
    has been destroyed. I'm glad you pointed out the need to find a connection between #19 and #20 in order to prove that the William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County is the same William as the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones of Northumberland County.
    I wish I could produce primary sources. I don't live in Virginia where I could visit county courthouses, although many other researchers have combed through them. I do have some sources which suggest a connection.

In the first link you sent, I think the writer is confusing two different people named William. The story about the second William does not follow from the first. The first William is the son of Thomas and Winifred Jones Heath. It indicates he "removed
    to the Falling Creek area of Lundenburg County." (Bedford County was later formed from Lundenburg.) The second William, whose story the writer tells, is the son of John Heath and his wife Mary Waddy. He is the one who went to North Carolina.

I have part of another source, a paper document, titled "Campbell County, Virginia Heritage Book 1781 -2003.." It has a bio of "William Heath, Founder of the Hayth/Hayth Families." Among other things, it says he was born in Northumberland County and "
    grew up in the presence of the Heaths for which Heathville, Virginia, was named." It notes that he moved to the area that is now Campbell County around 1757, that his Will mentions among others his son "Thomas (who married Martha Gilbert in Pittsylvania
    County," and concludes by saying that he signed his last Will and Testament as well as his last deed "William Hayth." The bio was written by a man named Lynn Hayth of Hampton, VA.

This next source does list some documents to support its claims. It says that William Heath, born at of (sic) Wiccomoco Parish, Northumberland, Virginia, about 1719, died in Bedford County. His wife Martha was born about 1720 in at of Surry, Virginia.
    They married about 1739 and were the parents of six children, including Thomas Hayth, who married Martha Gilbert 25 Feb. 1772, Bedford, Virginia. When I clicked on Sources, I found a lot of primary sources, though I wish I could read and evaluate them.
    When I clicked on "About this Database," I got the impression it is a responsible one.

http://www.familycentral.net/index/family.cfm?ref1=4624:5523&ref2=4624:5559

If the link doesn't work, you can find this source by googling William Heath - Martha - familycentral.net

What do you think? What next steps would you, or anyone else, suggest? I'm not sure what kind of primary source would show the information I want--or where I would find it. I would be very interested to hear your opinion, and that of any others.

~Cindy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nathan Murphy@21:1/5 to Cindy H. on Thu Feb 3 21:31:35 2022
    On Thursday, February 3, 2022 at 9:21:54 AM UTC-7, Cindy H. wrote:

Nathan
    Nathan,

You have indeed set me up a challenge! Others have made great efforts to research the Heaths of Northumberland without more results than have already been published. Time has also taken its toll. The Parish Registry of Wicomico Church, for example, has
    been destroyed. I'm glad you pointed out the need to find a connection between #19 and #20 in order to prove that the William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County is the same William as the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones of Northumberland County. I wish
    I could produce primary sources. I don't live in Virginia where I could visit county courthouses, although many other researchers have combed through them. I do have some sources which suggest a connection.

In the first link you sent, I think the writer is confusing two different people named William. The story about the second William does not follow from the first. The first William is the son of Thomas and Winifred Jones Heath. It indicates he "removed
    to the Falling Creek area of Lundenburg County." (Bedford County was later formed from Lundenburg.) The second William, whose story the writer tells, is the son of John Heath and his wife Mary Waddy. He is the one who went to North Carolina.

I have part of another source, a paper document, titled "Campbell County, Virginia Heritage Book 1781 -2003.." It has a bio of "William Heath, Founder of the Hayth/Hayth Families." Among other things, it says he was born in Northumberland County and "
    grew up in the presence of the Heaths for which Heathville, Virginia, was named." It notes that he moved to the area that is now Campbell County around 1757, that his Will mentions among others his son "Thomas (who married Martha Gilbert in Pittsylvania
    County," and concludes by saying that he signed his last Will and Testament as well as his last deed "William Hayth." The bio was written by a man named Lynn Hayth of Hampton, VA.

This next source does list some documents to support its claims. It says that William Heath, born at of (sic) Wiccomoco Parish, Northumberland, Virginia, about 1719, died in Bedford County. His wife Martha was born about 1720 in at of Surry, Virginia.
    They married about 1739 and were the parents of six children, including Thomas Hayth, who married Martha Gilbert 25 Feb. 1772, Bedford, Virginia. When I clicked on Sources, I found a lot of primary sources, though I wish I could read and evaluate them.
    When I clicked on "About this Database," I got the impression it is a responsible one.

If the link doesn't work, you can find this source by googling William Heath - Martha - familycentral.net

What do you think? What next steps would you, or anyone else, suggest? I'm not sure what kind of primary source would show the information I want--or where I would find it. I would be very interested to hear your opinion, and that of any others.

~Cindy

I see what you mean now. So many Williams... I wonder what the result would be if the Bedford/Campbell counties families made a Y-DNA comparison with the Northumberland County family?

Nathan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cindy H.@21:1/5 to nathan...@gmail.com on Fri Feb 4 15:11:13 2022
    On Friday, February 4, 2022 at 12:31:37 AM UTC-5, nathan...@gmail.com wrote:

Nathan
    Nathan,

You have indeed set me up a challenge! Others have made great efforts to research the Heaths of Northumberland without more results than have already been published. Time has also taken its toll. The Parish Registry of Wicomico Church, for example,
    has been destroyed. I'm glad you pointed out the need to find a connection between #19 and #20 in order to prove that the William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County is the same William as the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones of Northumberland County. I
    wish I could produce primary sources. I don't live in Virginia where I could visit county courthouses, although many other researchers have combed through them. I do have some sources which suggest a connection.

In the first link you sent, I think the writer is confusing two different people named William. The story about the second William does not follow from the first. The first William is the son of Thomas and Winifred Jones Heath. It indicates he "
    removed to the Falling Creek area of Lundenburg County." (Bedford County was later formed from Lundenburg.) The second William, whose story the writer tells, is the son of John Heath and his wife Mary Waddy. He is the one who went to North Carolina.

~Cindy
    I see what you mean now. So many Williams... I wonder what the result would be if the Bedford/Campbell counties families made a Y-DNA comparison with the Northumberland County family?

Nathan
    A good idea, Nathan, though a bit complicated to organize. I'm thinking of hiring a Richmond genealogist. I know of a very competent one.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cindy H.@21:1/5 to Cindy H. on Fri Feb 11 08:30:30 2022
    On Friday, February 4, 2022 at 6:11:15 PM UTC-5, Cindy H. wrote:
    Cindy, I haven't personally researched the connection between generations 19 and 20, but I think your challenge will be to prove that Virginia portion of the lineage. Have you found evidence that William Heath/Hayth of Bedford and Campbell
    counties, Virginia was the son of Thomas and Winifred (Jones) Heath?

Nathan
    Nathan,

has been destroyed. I'm glad you pointed out the need to find a connection between #19 and #20 in order to prove that the William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County is the same William as the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones of Northumberland County. I
    wish I could produce primary sources. I don't live in Virginia where I could visit county courthouses, although many other researchers have combed through them. I do have some sources which suggest a connection.

In the first link you sent, I think the writer is confusing two different people named William. The story about the second William does not follow from the first. The first William is the son of Thomas and Winifred Jones Heath. It indicates he "
    removed to the Falling Creek area of Lundenburg County." (Bedford County was later formed from Lundenburg.) The second William, whose story the writer tells, is the son of John Heath and his wife Mary Waddy. He is the one who went to North Carolina.

I have part of another source, a paper document, titled "Campbell County, Virginia Heritage Book 1781 -2003.." It has a bio of "William Heath, Founder of the Hayth/Hayth Families." Among other things, it says he was born in Northumberland County
    and "grew up in the presence of the Heaths for which Heathville, Virginia, was named." It notes that he moved to the area that is now Campbell County around 1757, that his Will mentions among others his son "Thomas (who married Martha Gilbert in
    Pittsylvania County," and concludes by saying that he signed his last Will and Testament as well as his last deed "William Hayth." The bio was written by a man named Lynn Hayth of Hampton, VA.

This next source does list some documents to support its claims. It says that William Heath, born at of (sic) Wiccomoco Parish, Northumberland, Virginia, about 1719, died in Bedford County. His wife Martha was born about 1720 in at of Surry,
    Virginia. They married about 1739 and were the parents of six children, including Thomas Hayth, who married Martha Gilbert 25 Feb. 1772, Bedford, Virginia. When I clicked on Sources, I found a lot of primary sources, though I wish I could read and
    evaluate them. When I clicked on "About this Database," I got the impression it is a responsible one.

~Cindy

Nathan
    A good idea, Nathan, though a bit complicated to organize. I'm thinking of hiring a Richmond genealogist. I know of a very competent one.
    I thought I would send an update. Because I don't have access to primary sources or the research expertise that many members of this group have, I hired a genealogist in Virginia who will be searching repositories in Northumberland County, the Library
    of Virginia in Richmond, and in Bedford County, as needed, in order to try and prove the line. I will let you all know the outcome of the search, whatever it is. It may be several months. Meanwhile, I will enjoy reading and learning from the group's
    various posts! ~Cindy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to Cindy H. on Fri Feb 11 11:32:49 2022
    On Friday, February 11, 2022 at 8:30:32 AM UTC-8, Cindy H. wrote:
    20. William Heath/Hayth (Bedford Co, VA to Campbell Co)=2nd UKN 21. Lt. Thomas Hayth (First Lieutenant in Rev. War, some say Captain)=Martha Gilbert
    Cindy, I haven't personally researched the connection between generations 19 and 20, but I think your challenge will be to prove that Virginia portion of the lineage. Have you found evidence that William Heath/Hayth of Bedford and Campbell

Nathan
    Nathan,

You have indeed set me up a challenge! Others have made great efforts to research the Heaths of Northumberland without more results than have already been published. Time has also taken its toll. The Parish Registry of Wicomico Church, for
    example, has been destroyed. I'm glad you pointed out the need to find a connection between #19 and #20 in order to prove that the William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County is the same William as the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones of Northumberland
    County. I wish I could produce primary sources. I don't live in Virginia where I could visit county courthouses, although many other researchers have combed through them. I do have some sources which suggest a connection.

I have part of another source, a paper document, titled "Campbell County, Virginia Heritage Book 1781 -2003.." It has a bio of "William Heath, Founder of the Hayth/Hayth Families." Among other things, it says he was born in Northumberland County
    and "grew up in the presence of the Heaths for which Heathville, Virginia, was named." It notes that he moved to the area that is now Campbell County around 1757, that his Will mentions among others his son "Thomas (who married Martha Gilbert in
    Pittsylvania County," and concludes by saying that he signed his last Will and Testament as well as his last deed "William Hayth." The bio was written by a man named Lynn Hayth of Hampton, VA.

This next source does list some documents to support its claims. It says that William Heath, born at of (sic) Wiccomoco Parish, Northumberland, Virginia, about 1719, died in Bedford County. His wife Martha was born about 1720 in at of Surry,
    Virginia. They married about 1739 and were the parents of six children, including Thomas Hayth, who married Martha Gilbert 25 Feb. 1772, Bedford, Virginia. When I clicked on Sources, I found a lot of primary sources, though I wish I could read and
    evaluate them. When I clicked on "About this Database," I got the impression it is a responsible one.

~Cindy

Nathan
    I thought I would send an update. Because I don't have access to primary sources or the research expertise that many members of this group have, I hired a genealogist in Virginia who will be searching repositories in Northumberland County, the Library
    of Virginia in Richmond, and in Bedford County, as needed, in order to try and prove the line. I will let you all know the outcome of the search, whatever it is. It may be several months. Meanwhile, I will enjoy reading and learning from the group's
    various posts! ~Cindy

Many of these Primary Sources, have already been extract and are online at familysearch.org
    And also at Ancestry, for a fee.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cindy H.@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Fri Feb 11 12:35:24 2022
    On Friday, February 11, 2022 at 2:32:51 PM UTC-5, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    20. William Heath/Hayth (Bedford Co, VA to Campbell Co)=2nd UKN 21. Lt. Thomas Hayth (First Lieutenant in Rev. War, some say Captain)=Martha Gilbert

Nathan
    Nathan,

You have indeed set me up a challenge! Others have made great efforts to research the Heaths of Northumberland without more results than have already been published. Time has also taken its toll. The Parish Registry of Wicomico Church, for
    example, has been destroyed. I'm glad you pointed out the need to find a connection between #19 and #20 in order to prove that the William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County is the same William as the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones of Northumberland
    County. I wish I could produce primary sources. I don't live in Virginia where I could visit county courthouses, although many other researchers have combed through them. I do have some sources which suggest a connection.

I have part of another source, a paper document, titled "Campbell County, Virginia Heritage Book 1781 -2003.." It has a bio of "William Heath, Founder of the Hayth/Hayth Families." Among other things, it says he was born in Northumberland
    County and "grew up in the presence of the Heaths for which Heathville, Virginia, was named." It notes that he moved to the area that is now Campbell County around 1757, that his Will mentions among others his son "Thomas (who married Martha Gilbert in

~Cindy

Nathan
    I thought I would send an update. Because I don't have access to primary sources or the research expertise that many members of this group have, I hired a genealogist in Virginia who will be searching repositories in Northumberland County, the
    Library of Virginia in Richmond, and in Bedford County, as needed, in order to try and prove the line. I will let you all know the outcome of the search, whatever it is. It may be several months. Meanwhile, I will enjoy reading and learning from the
    group's various posts! ~Cindy
    Many of these Primary Sources, have already been extract and are online at familysearch.org
    Thanks for the reply. However, I couldn't find online the essential link: the connection between #19 and #20 in the above line, i.e. proof that #20 follows #19. Some secondary sources say it does, but I have to find clear evidence that the William
    Heath/Hayth in Bedford County, whose will was probated there in 1775, was indeed the same William who was born in Northumberland County and was the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones . Perhaps it's because he migrated clear across the state that
    Northumberland County lost track of him and that nobody in Bedford County seems to know his origins. If proof of such a connection exists, it's probably in some obscure source in a courthouse somewhere. I'm a little worried because some of those early
    records no longer exist. For example, the Parish Registry of Wicomico Church in Northumberland County, which would have been very helpful since the early Heaths attended, was destroyed in a fire. Keep your fingers crossed! ~Cindy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cindy H.@21:1/5 to Cindy H. on Sun Apr 10 10:29:09 2022
    On Friday, February 11, 2022 at 3:35:26 PM UTC-5, Cindy H. wrote:

Nathan
    Nathan,

In the first link you sent, I think the writer is confusing two different people named William. The story about the second William does not follow from the first. The first William is the son of Thomas and Winifred Jones Heath. It indicates
    he "removed to the Falling Creek area of Lundenburg County." (Bedford County was later formed from Lundenburg.) The second William, whose story the writer tells, is the son of John Heath and his wife Mary Waddy. He is the one who went to North Carolina.

I have part of another source, a paper document, titled "Campbell County, Virginia Heritage Book 1781 -2003.." It has a bio of "William Heath, Founder of the Hayth/Hayth Families." Among other things, it says he was born in Northumberland
    County and "grew up in the presence of the Heaths for which Heathville, Virginia, was named." It notes that he moved to the area that is now Campbell County around 1757, that his Will mentions among others his son "Thomas (who married Martha Gilbert in

What do you think? What next steps would you, or anyone else, suggest? I'm not sure what kind of primary source would show the information I want--or where I would find it. I would be very interested to hear your opinion, and that of any
    others.

~Cindy

Nathan
    I thought I would send an update. Because I don't have access to primary sources or the research expertise that many members of this group have, I hired a genealogist in Virginia who will be searching repositories in Northumberland County, the
    Library of Virginia in Richmond, and in Bedford County, as needed, in order to try and prove the line. I will let you all know the outcome of the search, whatever it is. It may be several months. Meanwhile, I will enjoy reading and learning from the
    Thanks for the reply. However, I couldn't find online the essential link: the connection between #19 and #20 in the above line, i.e. proof that #20 follows #19. Some secondary sources say it does, but I have to find clear evidence that the William
    Heath/Hayth in Bedford County, whose will was probated there in 1775, was indeed the same William who was born in Northumberland County and was the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones . Perhaps it's because he migrated clear across the state that
    Northumberland County lost track of him and that nobody in Bedford County seems to know his origins. If proof of such a connection exists, it's probably in some obscure source in a courthouse somewhere. I'm a little worried because some of those early
    records no longer exist. For example, the Parish Registry of Wicomico Church in Northumberland County, which would have been very helpful since the early Heaths attended, was destroyed in a fire. Keep your fingers crossed! ~Cindy
    Hello, Group!

I just received the report from the genealogist I had hired to investigate the last part of the line I originally posted above. She did an extensive search to see if she could verify that #20 (William Heath of Bedford County VA) follows from #19 (
    Winifred Jones=Thomas Heath of Northumberland County VA). She was not able to find the origins of William Heath but did find evidence that he was not the son of Winifred Jones and Thomas Heath. Her search was somewhat hampered by lost records,
    particularly lost early wills, that would have been helpful, but based on existing records her conclusions are convincing. They mean that the original line I posted above is good down through #19 but is broken after that. Well, you win some, and you
    lose some!!

~Cindy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to Cindy H. on Mon Apr 11 08:47:10 2022
    On Sunday, April 10, 2022 at 1:29:10 PM UTC-4, Cindy H. wrote:
    Cindy, I haven't personally researched the connection between generations 19 and 20, but I think your challenge will be to prove that Virginia portion of the lineage. Have you found evidence that William Heath/Hayth of Bedford and
    Campbell counties, Virginia was the son of Thomas and Winifred (Jones) Heath?

Nathan
    Nathan,

In the first link you sent, I think the writer is confusing two different people named William. The story about the second William does not follow from the first. The first William is the son of Thomas and Winifred Jones Heath. It indicates
    he "removed to the Falling Creek area of Lundenburg County." (Bedford County was later formed from Lundenburg.) The second William, whose story the writer tells, is the son of John Heath and his wife Mary Waddy. He is the one who went to North Carolina.

What do you think? What next steps would you, or anyone else, suggest? I'm not sure what kind of primary source would show the information I want--or where I would find it. I would be very interested to hear your opinion, and that of any
    others.

~Cindy

Nathan
    Hello, Group!

I just received the report from the genealogist I had hired to investigate the last part of the line I originally posted above. She did an extensive search to see if she could verify that #20 (William Heath of Bedford County VA) follows from #19 (
    Winifred Jones=Thomas Heath of Northumberland County VA). She was not able to find the origins of William Heath but did find evidence that he was not the son of Winifred Jones and Thomas Heath. Her search was somewhat hampered by lost records,
    particularly lost early wills, that would have been helpful, but based on existing records her conclusions are convincing. They mean that the original line I posted above is good down through #19 but is broken after that. Well, you win some, and you lose
    some!!

~Cindy
    Cindy, glad to get your update. I was so hoping the genealogist would turn up something. I've done quite a bit of research in Virginia counties, and it can be hard in the ones that have lost records by fire/during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. For
    future reference, FamilySearch.org's research wiki is great about noting, on the page for each county, the county's records status. By the way, the Library of Virginia is fantastic; I visited once, several years ago, and was able to turn up quite a bit.
    Felt like I could have stayed there for weeks. Wishing you fun, challenge and success on another line!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cindy H.@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 11 09:34:12 2022
    On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 11:47:11 AM UTC-4, Girl57 wrote:
    Cindy, I haven't personally researched the connection between generations 19 and 20, but I think your challenge will be to prove that Virginia portion of the lineage. Have you found evidence that William Heath/Hayth of Bedford and

Nathan
    Nathan,

You have indeed set me up a challenge! Others have made great efforts to research the Heaths of Northumberland without more results than have already been published. Time has also taken its toll. The Parish Registry of Wicomico Church,
    for example, has been destroyed. I'm glad you pointed out the need to find a connection between #19 and #20 in order to prove that the William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County is the same William as the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones of
    Northumberland County. I wish I could produce primary sources. I don't live in Virginia where I could visit county courthouses, although many other researchers have combed through them. I do have some sources which suggest a connection.

In the first link you sent, I think the writer is confusing two different people named William. The story about the second William does not follow from the first. The first William is the son of Thomas and Winifred Jones Heath. It
    indicates he "removed to the Falling Creek area of Lundenburg County." (Bedford County was later formed from Lundenburg.) The second William, whose story the writer tells, is the son of John Heath and his wife Mary Waddy. He is the one who went to North
    Carolina.

This next source does list some documents to support its claims. It says that William Heath, born at of (sic) Wiccomoco Parish, Northumberland, Virginia, about 1719, died in Bedford County. His wife Martha was born about 1720 in at of
    Surry, Virginia. They married about 1739 and were the parents of six children, including Thomas Hayth, who married Martha Gilbert 25 Feb. 1772, Bedford, Virginia. When I clicked on Sources, I found a lot of primary sources, though I wish I could read and

others.

~Cindy

Nathan
    Hello, Group!

particularly lost early wills, that would have been helpful, but based on existing records her conclusions are convincing. They mean that the original line I posted above is good down through #19 but is broken after that. Well, you win some, and you lose
    some!!

~Cindy
    Cindy, glad to get your update. I was so hoping the genealogist would turn up something. I've done quite a bit of research in Virginia counties, and it can be hard in the ones that have lost records by fire/during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. For
    future reference, FamilySearch.org's research wiki is great about noting, on the page for each county, the county's records status. By the way, the Library of Virginia is fantastic; I visited once, several years ago, and was able to turn up quite a bit.
    Felt like I could have stayed there for weeks. Wishing you fun, challenge and success on another line!

Thank you for your lovely reply and suggestion, Girll57! I agree that the Library of Virginia is wonderful. Some of it can be accessed online, too. Though William of Bedford County won't have all those wonderful medieval ancestors, alas, I'm still so
    glad I did a lot of research about them and their often complicated families and about what was happening in the various places where they lived. Otherwise, I would never have even heard of Thomas Camoys and many of the others! Doing that research got
    me very interested in the medieval period. I'm still hoping to find the origins of William, my mystery man, though nobody has had success so far. A real challenge! However, I recently learned that what was called the the Northern Neck of Virginia in
    the eighteenth century encompassed a lot more land than it does today and at one point stretched all the way to the Allegheny Mountains! So I have a much wider area to search now. I'm also working on a line that stems from Col. Thomas Ligon of VA, but
    it goes through Buckingham County, which is notorious for lost records, so I'll have to see how I get on. Thank you again for your reply. I enjoy reading all your posts, and learn a lot from them and from the replies you receive. You contribute a lot
    of interesting things to this group!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to Cindy H. on Mon Apr 11 12:14:25 2022
    On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 12:34:16 PM UTC-4, Cindy H. wrote:

Nathan
    Nathan,

You have indeed set me up a challenge! Others have made great efforts to research the Heaths of Northumberland without more results than have already been published. Time has also taken its toll. The Parish Registry of Wicomico Church,
    for example, has been destroyed. I'm glad you pointed out the need to find a connection between #19 and #20 in order to prove that the William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County is the same William as the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones of
    Northumberland County. I wish I could produce primary sources. I don't live in Virginia where I could visit county courthouses, although many other researchers have combed through them. I do have some sources which suggest a connection.

In the first link you sent, I think the writer is confusing two different people named William. The story about the second William does not follow from the first. The first William is the son of Thomas and Winifred Jones Heath. It
    indicates he "removed to the Falling Creek area of Lundenburg County." (Bedford County was later formed from Lundenburg.) The second William, whose story the writer tells, is the son of John Heath and his wife Mary Waddy. He is the one who went to North
    Carolina.

I have part of another source, a paper document, titled "Campbell County, Virginia Heritage Book 1781 -2003.." It has a bio of "William Heath, Founder of the Hayth/Hayth Families." Among other things, it says he was born in
    Northumberland County and "grew up in the presence of the Heaths for which Heathville, Virginia, was named." It notes that he moved to the area that is now Campbell County around 1757, that his Will mentions among others his son "Thomas (who married
    Martha Gilbert in Pittsylvania County," and concludes by saying that he signed his last Will and Testament as well as his last deed "William Hayth." The bio was written by a man named Lynn Hayth of Hampton, VA.

This next source does list some documents to support its claims. It says that William Heath, born at of (sic) Wiccomoco Parish, Northumberland, Virginia, about 1719, died in Bedford County. His wife Martha was born about 1720 in at of
    Surry, Virginia. They married about 1739 and were the parents of six children, including Thomas Hayth, who married Martha Gilbert 25 Feb. 1772, Bedford, Virginia. When I clicked on Sources, I found a lot of primary sources, though I wish I could read and

What do you think? What next steps would you, or anyone else, suggest? I'm not sure what kind of primary source would show the information I want--or where I would find it. I would be very interested to hear your opinion, and that of
    any others.

~Cindy

Nathan
    I thought I would send an update. Because I don't have access to primary sources or the research expertise that many members of this group have, I hired a genealogist in Virginia who will be searching repositories in Northumberland County,
    the Library of Virginia in Richmond, and in Bedford County, as needed, in order to try and prove the line. I will let you all know the outcome of the search, whatever it is. It may be several months. Meanwhile, I will enjoy reading and learning from the
    Thanks for the reply. However, I couldn't find online the essential link: the connection between #19 and #20 in the above line, i.e. proof that #20 follows #19. Some secondary sources say it does, but I have to find clear evidence that the
    William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County, whose will was probated there in 1775, was indeed the same William who was born in Northumberland County and was the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones . Perhaps it's because he migrated clear across the state
    that Northumberland County lost track of him and that nobody in Bedford County seems to know his origins. If proof of such a connection exists, it's probably in some obscure source in a courthouse somewhere. I'm a little worried because some of those
    early records no longer exist. For example, the Parish Registry of Wicomico Church in Northumberland County, which would have been very helpful since the early Heaths attended, was destroyed in a fire. Keep your fingers crossed! ~Cindy
    Hello, Group!

some!!

~Cindy
    Cindy, glad to get your update. I was so hoping the genealogist would turn up something. I've done quite a bit of research in Virginia counties, and it can be hard in the ones that have lost records by fire/during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.
    For future reference, FamilySearch.org's research wiki is great about noting, on the page for each county, the county's records status. By the way, the Library of Virginia is fantastic; I visited once, several years ago, and was able to turn up quite a
    bit. Felt like I could have stayed there for weeks. Wishing you fun, challenge and success on another line!
    Thank you for your lovely reply and suggestion, Girll57! I agree that the Library of Virginia is wonderful. Some of it can be accessed online, too. Though William of Bedford County won't have all those wonderful medieval ancestors, alas, I'm still so
    glad I did a lot of research about them and their often complicated families and about what was happening in the various places where they lived. Otherwise, I would never have even heard of Thomas Camoys and many of the others! Doing that research got me
    very interested in the medieval period. I'm still hoping to find the origins of William, my mystery man, though nobody has had success so far. A real challenge! However, I recently learned that what was called the the Northern Neck of Virginia in the
    eighteenth century encompassed a lot more land than it does today and at one point stretched all the way to the Allegheny Mountains! So I have a much wider area to search now. I'm also working on a line that stems from Col. Thomas Ligon of VA, but it
    goes through Buckingham County, which is notorious for lost records, so I'll have to see how I get on. Thank you again for your reply. I enjoy reading all your posts, and learn a lot from them and from the replies you receive. You contribute a lot of
    interesting things to this group!
    Cindy, Your enthusiasm is contagious. Yes, what was called the Northern Neck of Virginia did indeed encompass a lot more area then than it does now. I have Northern Neck ancestors, too. Are you researching line stemming from this Thomas Ligon?

https://www.jamestowne.org/blog/thomas-harris-and-thomas-ligon-burgesses-from-henrico-county

Hoping things go well and are somehow able to find more detail on William of Bedford.

My FitzRandolph family has interested me in the medieval period, too. The "gateway" line I'm looking at contains, according to Douglas Richardson, an assumed but unproven link that has eluded genealogists for decades; I have no illusions about proving
    the link but am finding it fun to gather as much data as possible. With more records being digitised and more easily available all the time, what's to say that something won't turn up? In the meantime, I'm imagining gazing at the Yorkshire Dales on a
    bright day, appreciating an ancestral home.

So glad something in my posts is useful. I am a novice, and feel self-conscious asking so many questions. As I have no familiarity with English records or -- much more important -- the society/periods that generated them, it's lots of "hunting and
    pecking" and very slow going. But so interesting. Others here are kind and patient in dealing with those of us who aren't historians, academics, professional genealogists, or medievalists. I'm trying to keep my enquiries shorter and to the point....but
    it's easy to get off on a tangent :- I think there are many Americans like me who long to discover their English roots! All the best.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cindy H.@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 11 14:28:55 2022
    On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 3:14:26 PM UTC-4, Girl57 wrote:

Nathan
    Nathan,

Carolina.

I have part of another source, a paper document, titled "Campbell County, Virginia Heritage Book 1781 -2003.." It has a bio of "William Heath, Founder of the Hayth/Hayth Families." Among other things, it says he was born in
    Northumberland County and "grew up in the presence of the Heaths for which Heathville, Virginia, was named." It notes that he moved to the area that is now Campbell County around 1757, that his Will mentions among others his son "Thomas (who married
    Martha Gilbert in Pittsylvania County," and concludes by saying that he signed his last Will and Testament as well as his last deed "William Hayth." The bio was written by a man named Lynn Hayth of Hampton, VA.

What do you think? What next steps would you, or anyone else, suggest? I'm not sure what kind of primary source would show the information I want--or where I would find it. I would be very interested to hear your opinion, and that of
    any others.

~Cindy

Nathan
    I thought I would send an update. Because I don't have access to primary sources or the research expertise that many members of this group have, I hired a genealogist in Virginia who will be searching repositories in Northumberland County,
    the Library of Virginia in Richmond, and in Bedford County, as needed, in order to try and prove the line. I will let you all know the outcome of the search, whatever it is. It may be several months. Meanwhile, I will enjoy reading and learning from the
    Thanks for the reply. However, I couldn't find online the essential link: the connection between #19 and #20 in the above line, i.e. proof that #20 follows #19. Some secondary sources say it does, but I have to find clear evidence that the
    William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County, whose will was probated there in 1775, was indeed the same William who was born in Northumberland County and was the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones . Perhaps it's because he migrated clear across the state
    that Northumberland County lost track of him and that nobody in Bedford County seems to know his origins. If proof of such a connection exists, it's probably in some obscure source in a courthouse somewhere. I'm a little worried because some of those
    early records no longer exist. For example, the Parish Registry of Wicomico Church in Northumberland County, which would have been very helpful since the early Heaths attended, was destroyed in a fire. Keep your fingers crossed! ~Cindy
    Hello, Group!

some!!

~Cindy
    Cindy, glad to get your update. I was so hoping the genealogist would turn up something. I've done quite a bit of research in Virginia counties, and it can be hard in the ones that have lost records by fire/during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.
    For future reference, FamilySearch.org's research wiki is great about noting, on the page for each county, the county's records status. By the way, the Library of Virginia is fantastic; I visited once, several years ago, and was able to turn up quite a
    bit. Felt like I could have stayed there for weeks. Wishing you fun, challenge and success on another line!
    glad I did a lot of research about them and their often complicated families and about what was happening in the various places where they lived. Otherwise, I would never have even heard of Thomas Camoys and many of the others! Doing that research got me
    very interested in the medieval period. I'm still hoping to find the origins of William, my mystery man, though nobody has had success so far. A real challenge! However, I recently learned that what was called the the Northern Neck of Virginia in the
    eighteenth century encompassed a lot more land than it does today and at one point stretched all the way to the Allegheny Mountains! So I have a much wider area to search now. I'm also working on a line that stems from Col. Thomas Ligon of VA, but it
    goes through Buckingham County, which is notorious for lost records, so I'll have to see how I get on. Thank you again for your reply. I enjoy reading all your posts, and learn a lot from them and from the replies you receive. You contribute a lot of
    Cindy, Your enthusiasm is contagious. Yes, what was called the Northern Neck of Virginia did indeed encompass a lot more area then than it does now. I have Northern Neck ancestors, too. Are you researching line stemming from this Thomas Ligon?

https://www.jamestowne.org/blog/thomas-harris-and-thomas-ligon-burgesses-from-henrico-county

Hoping things go well and are somehow able to find more detail on William of Bedford.

My FitzRandolph family has interested me in the medieval period, too. The "gateway" line I'm looking at contains, according to Douglas Richardson, an assumed but unproven link that has eluded genealogists for decades; I have no illusions about proving
    the link but am finding it fun to gather as much data as possible. With more records being digitised and more easily available all the time, what's to say that something won't turn up? In the meantime, I'm imagining gazing at the Yorkshire Dales on a
    bright day, appreciating an ancestral home.

So glad something in my posts is useful. I am a novice, and feel self-conscious asking so many questions. As I have no familiarity with English records or -- much more important -- the society/periods that generated them, it's lots of "hunting and
    pecking" and very slow going. But so interesting. Others here are kind and patient in dealing with those of us who aren't historians, academics, professional genealogists, or medievalists. I'm trying to keep my enquiries shorter and to the point....but
    it's easy to get off on a tangent :- I think there are many Americans like me who long to discover their English roots! All the best.
    Girl57, yes, that's exactly the Col. Thomas Ligon line I'm researching! He has royal lines and some wonderful medieval ancestors: Bigod, Marshal, Claire, Beauchamp, FitzAlan, Bohun, Mowbray, and Berkeley, to name a few. Here's what I have so far for
    the Virginia line:

1. Col. Thomas Ligon=Mary Harris
    2. Joan/Johan Ligon=Robert Hancock
    3. Joan/Johan Hancock=Samuel Hancock
    4. Phoebe/Phebe Hancock=John W. Watkins of Cumberland Co.
    5. Phoebe/Phebe Watkins=Capt. Silas Watkins s/o Joel Watkins and Rhoda Gresham 6. Joel Watkins (b. 5 July 1776 Buckingham Co.; d. 17 Jan. 1859 Appomattox Co.)=Mary/Polly/Dolly Jones

I have continued the line based on my best research but won't post it here because it's not supported by primary sources. Those primary sources will probably never be found because the courthouse in Buckingham Co. burned down! One researcher has
    referred to Buckingham Co. as "a black hole."

I am sorry to lose the ancestors I posted on my above medieval line, but I'm now going to think of them as my "spiritual ancestors"! I've read so much about them that they feel like family members. Since there are numerous secondary sources which claim
    that William of Bedford Co.was s/o Thomas and Winifred, I hope some of those people will see this and correct their records. I also hope that the living descendants of Thomas and Winifred will see this; they may not realize they have royal lines and
    those wonderful ancestors. The above line shows only some of them!

Your FitzRandolph family sounds fascinating. I agree: more and more things turn up all the time. I can identify with you gazing at the Yorkshire Dales! I have numerous ancestors from Yorkshire. Like you, I am a novice. Don't feel self-conscious
    about asking a lot of questions! It's the way to learn, and your questions and the answers you receive are interesting to others, too. Going off on tangents can sometimes lead to discoveries. I'll look forward to more of your posts.

~Cindy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Elizabeth A@21:1/5 to Cindy H. on Mon Apr 11 14:53:00 2022
    On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 5:28:56 PM UTC-4, Cindy H. wrote:

This researcher, for example, concludes that Thomas and Winifred's son went to North Carolina, rather than to Bedford County, Virginia: http://alliedfamilies.wordpress.com/virginia-and-maryland-heath-families/heaths-of-northern-
    neck/

Nathan
    Nathan,

You have indeed set me up a challenge! Others have made great efforts to research the Heaths of Northumberland without more results than have already been published. Time has also taken its toll. The Parish Registry of Wicomico
    Church, for example, has been destroyed. I'm glad you pointed out the need to find a connection between #19 and #20 in order to prove that the William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County is the same William as the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones of

Carolina.

This next source does list some documents to support its claims. It says that William Heath, born at of (sic) Wiccomoco Parish, Northumberland, Virginia, about 1719, died in Bedford County. His wife Martha was born about 1720 in at
    of Surry, Virginia. They married about 1739 and were the parents of six children, including Thomas Hayth, who married Martha Gilbert 25 Feb. 1772, Bedford, Virginia. When I clicked on Sources, I found a lot of primary sources, though I wish I could read
    and evaluate them. When I clicked on "About this Database," I got the impression it is a responsible one.

What do you think? What next steps would you, or anyone else, suggest? I'm not sure what kind of primary source would show the information I want--or where I would find it. I would be very interested to hear your opinion, and that
    of any others.

~Cindy

Nathan
    Hello, Group!

I just received the report from the genealogist I had hired to investigate the last part of the line I originally posted above. She did an extensive search to see if she could verify that #20 (William Heath of Bedford County VA) follows from #
    19 (Winifred Jones=Thomas Heath of Northumberland County VA). She was not able to find the origins of William Heath but did find evidence that he was not the son of Winifred Jones and Thomas Heath. Her search was somewhat hampered by lost records,
    some!!

~Cindy
    Thank you for your lovely reply and suggestion, Girll57! I agree that the Library of Virginia is wonderful. Some of it can be accessed online, too. Though William of Bedford County won't have all those wonderful medieval ancestors, alas, I'm still
    so glad I did a lot of research about them and their often complicated families and about what was happening in the various places where they lived. Otherwise, I would never have even heard of Thomas Camoys and many of the others! Doing that research got
    me very interested in the medieval period. I'm still hoping to find the origins of William, my mystery man, though nobody has had success so far. A real challenge! However, I recently learned that what was called the the Northern Neck of Virginia in the

My FitzRandolph family has interested me in the medieval period, too. The "gateway" line I'm looking at contains, according to Douglas Richardson, an assumed but unproven link that has eluded genealogists for decades; I have no illusions about
    proving the link but am finding it fun to gather as much data as possible. With more records being digitised and more easily available all the time, what's to say that something won't turn up? In the meantime, I'm imagining gazing at the Yorkshire Dales
    on a bright day, appreciating an ancestral home.

Girl57, yes, that's exactly the Col. Thomas Ligon line I'm researching! He has royal lines and some wonderful medieval ancestors: Bigod, Marshal, Claire, Beauchamp, FitzAlan, Bohun, Mowbray, and Berkeley, to name a few. Here's what I have so far for
    the Virginia line:

5. Phoebe/Phebe Watkins=Capt. Silas Watkins s/o Joel Watkins and Rhoda Gresham
    6. Joel Watkins (b. 5 July 1776 Buckingham Co.; d. 17 Jan. 1859 Appomattox Co.)=Mary/Polly/Dolly Jones

I have continued the line based on my best research but won't post it here because it's not supported by primary sources. Those primary sources will probably never be found because the courthouse in Buckingham Co. burned down! One researcher has

I am sorry to lose the ancestors I posted on my above medieval line, but I'm now going to think of them as my "spiritual ancestors"! I've read so much about them that they feel like family members. Since there are numerous secondary sources which claim
    that William of Bedford Co.was s/o Thomas and Winifred, I hope some of those people will see this and correct their records. I also hope that the living descendants of Thomas and Winifred will see this; they may not realize they have royal lines and
    those wonderful ancestors. The above line shows only some of them!

Your FitzRandolph family sounds fascinating. I agree: more and more things turn up all the time. I can identify with you gazing at the Yorkshire Dales! I have numerous ancestors from Yorkshire. Like you, I am a novice. Don't feel self-conscious about
    asking a lot of questions! It's the way to learn, and your questions and the answers you receive are interesting to others, too. Going off on tangents can sometimes lead to discoveries. I'll look forward to more of your posts.

~Cindy

Cindy,

I'm wondering if you or Girl57 have made use of the digitized chancery records through the Library of Virginia's Virginia Memory project (https://www.virginiamemory.com/collections/chancery/faq). With regard to frequent estate and inheritance disputes,
    they often include enclosed copies of wills and inventories submitted by parties, or at least a brief recitation on how various properties descended to various families. I used them to find a number of interesting details about my McKee family of Augusta
    and Rockbridge Counties, one of which borders Bedford County, and neither of which are too far from Buckingham County. Notably, the McKees granted part of the land where you can find what was then referred to as "Liberty Hall Academy" but we now know as
    Washington & Lee University.

-Elizabeth A

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cindy H.@21:1/5 to Elizabeth A on Mon Apr 11 18:51:27 2022
    On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 5:53:01 PM UTC-4, Elizabeth A wrote:
    Cindy, I haven't personally researched the connection between generations 19 and 20, but I think your challenge will be to prove that Virginia portion of the lineage. Have you found evidence that William Heath/Hayth of Bedford
    and Campbell counties, Virginia was the son of Thomas and Winifred (Jones) Heath?

This researcher, for example, concludes that Thomas and Winifred's son went to North Carolina, rather than to Bedford County, Virginia: http://alliedfamilies.wordpress.com/virginia-and-maryland-heath-families/heaths-of-northern-
    neck/

Nathan
    Nathan,

You have indeed set me up a challenge! Others have made great efforts to research the Heaths of Northumberland without more results than have already been published. Time has also taken its toll. The Parish Registry of Wicomico
    Church, for example, has been destroyed. I'm glad you pointed out the need to find a connection between #19 and #20 in order to prove that the William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County is the same William as the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones of

Carolina.

This next source does list some documents to support its claims. It says that William Heath, born at of (sic) Wiccomoco Parish, Northumberland, Virginia, about 1719, died in Bedford County. His wife Martha was born about 1720 in
    at of Surry, Virginia. They married about 1739 and were the parents of six children, including Thomas Hayth, who married Martha Gilbert 25 Feb. 1772, Bedford, Virginia. When I clicked on Sources, I found a lot of primary sources, though I wish I could
    read and evaluate them. When I clicked on "About this Database," I got the impression it is a responsible one.

What do you think? What next steps would you, or anyone else, suggest? I'm not sure what kind of primary source would show the information I want--or where I would find it. I would be very interested to hear your opinion, and that
    of any others.

~Cindy

Nathan
    I thought I would send an update. Because I don't have access to primary sources or the research expertise that many members of this group have, I hired a genealogist in Virginia who will be searching repositories in Northumberland
    County, the Library of Virginia in Richmond, and in Bedford County, as needed, in order to try and prove the line. I will let you all know the outcome of the search, whatever it is. It may be several months. Meanwhile, I will enjoy reading and learning
    from the group's various posts! ~Cindy
    Hello, Group!

I just received the report from the genealogist I had hired to investigate the last part of the line I originally posted above. She did an extensive search to see if she could verify that #20 (William Heath of Bedford County VA) follows from #
    19 (Winifred Jones=Thomas Heath of Northumberland County VA). She was not able to find the origins of William Heath but did find evidence that he was not the son of Winifred Jones and Thomas Heath. Her search was somewhat hampered by lost records,
    some!!

~Cindy
    Cindy, glad to get your update. I was so hoping the genealogist would turn up something. I've done quite a bit of research in Virginia counties, and it can be hard in the ones that have lost records by fire/during the Revolutionary and Civil
    Wars. For future reference, FamilySearch.org's research wiki is great about noting, on the page for each county, the county's records status. By the way, the Library of Virginia is fantastic; I visited once, several years ago, and was able to turn up
    quite a bit. Felt like I could have stayed there for weeks. Wishing you fun, challenge and success on another line!
    Thank you for your lovely reply and suggestion, Girll57! I agree that the Library of Virginia is wonderful. Some of it can be accessed online, too. Though William of Bedford County won't have all those wonderful medieval ancestors, alas, I'm
    still so glad I did a lot of research about them and their often complicated families and about what was happening in the various places where they lived. Otherwise, I would never have even heard of Thomas Camoys and many of the others! Doing that
    research got me very interested in the medieval period. I'm still hoping to find the origins of William, my mystery man, though nobody has had success so far. A real challenge! However, I recently learned that what was called the the Northern Neck of
    Virginia in the eighteenth century encompassed a lot more land than it does today and at one point stretched all the way to the Allegheny Mountains! So I have a much wider area to search now. I'm also working on a line that stems from Col. Thomas Ligon
    of VA, but it goes through Buckingham County, which is notorious for lost records, so I'll have to see how I get on. Thank you again for your reply. I enjoy reading all your posts, and learn a lot from them and from the replies you receive. You
    contribute a lot of interesting things to this group!

My FitzRandolph family has interested me in the medieval period, too. The "gateway" line I'm looking at contains, according to Douglas Richardson, an assumed but unproven link that has eluded genealogists for decades; I have no illusions about
    proving the link but am finding it fun to gather as much data as possible. With more records being digitised and more easily available all the time, what's to say that something won't turn up? In the meantime, I'm imagining gazing at the Yorkshire Dales

the Virginia line:

6. Joel Watkins (b. 5 July 1776 Buckingham Co.; d. 17 Jan. 1859 Appomattox Co.)=Mary/Polly/Dolly Jones

I am sorry to lose the ancestors I posted on my above medieval line, but I'm now going to think of them as my "spiritual ancestors"! I've read so much about them that they feel like family members. Since there are numerous secondary sources which
    claim that William of Bedford Co.was s/o Thomas and Winifred, I hope some of those people will see this and correct their records. I also hope that the living descendants of Thomas and Winifred will see this; they may not realize they have royal lines
    and those wonderful ancestors. The above line shows only some of them!

Your FitzRandolph family sounds fascinating. I agree: more and more things turn up all the time. I can identify with you gazing at the Yorkshire Dales! I have numerous ancestors from Yorkshire. Like you, I am a novice. Don't feel self-conscious about
    asking a lot of questions! It's the way to learn, and your questions and the answers you receive are interesting to others, too. Going off on tangents can sometimes lead to discoveries. I'll look forward to more of your posts.

~Cindy
    Cindy,

I'm wondering if you or Girl57 have made use of the digitized chancery records through the Library of Virginia's Virginia Memory project (https://www.virginiamemory.com/collections/chancery/faq). With regard to frequent estate and inheritance disputes,
    they often include enclosed copies of wills and inventories submitted by parties, or at least a brief recitation on how various properties descended to various families. I used them to find a number of interesting details about my McKee family of Augusta
    and Rockbridge Counties, one of which borders Bedford County, and neither of which are too far from Buckingham County. Notably, the McKees granted part of the land where you can find what was then referred to as "Liberty Hall Academy" but we now know as
    Washington & Lee University.

-Elizabeth A
    Elizabeth,

I have used the Chancery Records Index at the Library of Virginia in the past and found it helpful, though sometimes the handwriting is difficult to read, especially if the document appears sideways! It has worked best for me when I entered only the
    surname of the person in the search box. Unfortunately, the list does not even allow a search of Buckingham County, undoubtedly because all the records there were lost. There is only one record for Bedford County, and it not about William Heath.
    However, it's good to know about this Index. I also found French, S. Bassett, Biographical Sketches helpful for Nineteenth Century ancestors. If you're lucky, you may find a sketch of an ancestor there. How interesting that your McKees were granted
    land on which now stands Washington & Lee University! I remember visiting that university one time.

~Cindy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to Cindy H. on Mon Apr 11 20:34:14 2022
    On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 9:51:29 PM UTC-4, Cindy H. wrote:
    Cindy, I haven't personally researched the connection between generations 19 and 20, but I think your challenge will be to prove that Virginia portion of the lineage. Have you found evidence that William Heath/Hayth of Bedford
    and Campbell counties, Virginia was the son of Thomas and Winifred (Jones) Heath?

This researcher, for example, concludes that Thomas and Winifred's son went to North Carolina, rather than to Bedford County, Virginia: http://alliedfamilies.wordpress.com/virginia-and-maryland-heath-families/heaths-of-
    northern-neck/

Nathan
    Nathan,

In the first link you sent, I think the writer is confusing two different people named William. The story about the second William does not follow from the first. The first William is the son of Thomas and Winifred Jones Heath.
    It indicates he "removed to the Falling Creek area of Lundenburg County." (Bedford County was later formed from Lundenburg.) The second William, whose story the writer tells, is the son of John Heath and his wife Mary Waddy. He is the one who went to
    North Carolina.

This next source does list some documents to support its claims. It says that William Heath, born at of (sic) Wiccomoco Parish, Northumberland, Virginia, about 1719, died in Bedford County. His wife Martha was born about 1720 in
    at of Surry, Virginia. They married about 1739 and were the parents of six children, including Thomas Hayth, who married Martha Gilbert 25 Feb. 1772, Bedford, Virginia. When I clicked on Sources, I found a lot of primary sources, though I wish I could
    read and evaluate them. When I clicked on "About this Database," I got the impression it is a responsible one.

What do you think? What next steps would you, or anyone else, suggest? I'm not sure what kind of primary source would show the information I want--or where I would find it. I would be very interested to hear your opinion, and
    that of any others.

~Cindy

Nathan
    I thought I would send an update. Because I don't have access to primary sources or the research expertise that many members of this group have, I hired a genealogist in Virginia who will be searching repositories in Northumberland
    County, the Library of Virginia in Richmond, and in Bedford County, as needed, in order to try and prove the line. I will let you all know the outcome of the search, whatever it is. It may be several months. Meanwhile, I will enjoy reading and learning
    Thanks for the reply. However, I couldn't find online the essential link: the connection between #19 and #20 in the above line, i.e. proof that #20 follows #19. Some secondary sources say it does, but I have to find clear evidence that
    the William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County, whose will was probated there in 1775, was indeed the same William who was born in Northumberland County and was the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones . Perhaps it's because he migrated clear across the
    state that Northumberland County lost track of him and that nobody in Bedford County seems to know his origins. If proof of such a connection exists, it's probably in some obscure source in a courthouse somewhere. I'm a little worried because some of
    those early records no longer exist. For example, the Parish Registry of Wicomico Church in Northumberland County, which would have been very helpful since the early Heaths attended, was destroyed in a fire. Keep your fingers crossed! ~Cindy
    Hello, Group!

I just received the report from the genealogist I had hired to investigate the last part of the line I originally posted above. She did an extensive search to see if she could verify that #20 (William Heath of Bedford County VA) follows
    from #19 (Winifred Jones=Thomas Heath of Northumberland County VA). She was not able to find the origins of William Heath but did find evidence that he was not the son of Winifred Jones and Thomas Heath. Her search was somewhat hampered by lost records,
    some!!

~Cindy
    Cindy, glad to get your update. I was so hoping the genealogist would turn up something. I've done quite a bit of research in Virginia counties, and it can be hard in the ones that have lost records by fire/during the Revolutionary and Civil
    Wars. For future reference, FamilySearch.org's research wiki is great about noting, on the page for each county, the county's records status. By the way, the Library of Virginia is fantastic; I visited once, several years ago, and was able to turn up
    quite a bit. Felt like I could have stayed there for weeks. Wishing you fun, challenge and success on another line!
    Thank you for your lovely reply and suggestion, Girll57! I agree that the Library of Virginia is wonderful. Some of it can be accessed online, too. Though William of Bedford County won't have all those wonderful medieval ancestors, alas, I'm
    still so glad I did a lot of research about them and their often complicated families and about what was happening in the various places where they lived. Otherwise, I would never have even heard of Thomas Camoys and many of the others! Doing that
    research got me very interested in the medieval period. I'm still hoping to find the origins of William, my mystery man, though nobody has had success so far. A real challenge! However, I recently learned that what was called the the Northern Neck of
    Virginia in the eighteenth century encompassed a lot more land than it does today and at one point stretched all the way to the Allegheny Mountains! So I have a much wider area to search now. I'm also working on a line that stems from Col. Thomas Ligon
    of VA, but it goes through Buckingham County, which is notorious for lost records, so I'll have to see how I get on. Thank you again for your reply. I enjoy reading all your posts, and learn a lot from them and from the replies you receive. You

So glad something in my posts is useful. I am a novice, and feel self-conscious asking so many questions. As I have no familiarity with English records or -- much more important -- the society/periods that generated them, it's lots of "hunting
    and pecking" and very slow going. But so interesting. Others here are kind and patient in dealing with those of us who aren't historians, academics, professional genealogists, or medievalists. I'm trying to keep my enquiries shorter and to the point....
    but it's easy to get off on a tangent :- I think there are many Americans like me who long to discover their English roots! All the best.
    Girl57, yes, that's exactly the Col. Thomas Ligon line I'm researching! He has royal lines and some wonderful medieval ancestors: Bigod, Marshal, Claire, Beauchamp, FitzAlan, Bohun, Mowbray, and Berkeley, to name a few. Here's what I have so far
    for the Virginia line:

I am sorry to lose the ancestors I posted on my above medieval line, but I'm now going to think of them as my "spiritual ancestors"! I've read so much about them that they feel like family members. Since there are numerous secondary sources which
    claim that William of Bedford Co.was s/o Thomas and Winifred, I hope some of those people will see this and correct their records. I also hope that the living descendants of Thomas and Winifred will see this; they may not realize they have royal lines

Your FitzRandolph family sounds fascinating. I agree: more and more things turn up all the time. I can identify with you gazing at the Yorkshire Dales! I have numerous ancestors from Yorkshire. Like you, I am a novice. Don't feel self-conscious
    about asking a lot of questions! It's the way to learn, and your questions and the answers you receive are interesting to others, too. Going off on tangents can sometimes lead to discoveries. I'll look forward to more of your posts.

~Cindy
    Cindy,

I'm wondering if you or Girl57 have made use of the digitized chancery records through the Library of Virginia's Virginia Memory project (https://www.virginiamemory.com/collections/chancery/faq). With regard to frequent estate and inheritance
    disputes, they often include enclosed copies of wills and inventories submitted by parties, or at least a brief recitation on how various properties descended to various families. I used them to find a number of interesting details about my McKee family
    of Augusta and Rockbridge Counties, one of which borders Bedford County, and neither of which are too far from Buckingham County. Notably, the McKees granted part of the land where you can find what was then referred to as "Liberty Hall Academy" but we
    now know as Washington & Lee University.

-Elizabeth A
    Elizabeth,

I have used the Chancery Records Index at the Library of Virginia in the past and found it helpful, though sometimes the handwriting is difficult to read, especially if the document appears sideways! It has worked best for me when I entered only the
    surname of the person in the search box. Unfortunately, the list does not even allow a search of Buckingham County, undoubtedly because all the records there were lost. There is only one record for Bedford County, and it not about William Heath. However,
    it's good to know about this Index. I also found French, S. Bassett, Biographical Sketches helpful for Nineteenth Century ancestors. If you're lucky, you may find a sketch of an ancestor there. How interesting that your McKees were granted land on which
    now stands Washington & Lee University! I remember visiting that university one time.

~Cindy
    I have never used the chancery records but am hoping to get a chance. I have an ancestor who I think was born in Bedford County, but I haven't worked on that line for quite a while. Will look forward to it.

Elizabeth, I think we must be cut from the same genealogical cloth! I, too, feel like many of the ancestors I "meet" through this work are "spiritual ancestors." At times they feel as real as living persons. And I can't wait to walk where they walked...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 11 21:55:49 2022
    On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 11:34:16 PM UTC-4, Girl57 wrote:
    Cindy, I haven't personally researched the connection between generations 19 and 20, but I think your challenge will be to prove that Virginia portion of the lineage. Have you found evidence that William Heath/Hayth of
    Bedford and Campbell counties, Virginia was the son of Thomas and Winifred (Jones) Heath?

This researcher, for example, concludes that Thomas and Winifred's son went to North Carolina, rather than to Bedford County, Virginia: http://alliedfamilies.wordpress.com/virginia-and-maryland-heath-families/heaths-of-
    northern-neck/

Nathan
    Nathan,

You have indeed set me up a challenge! Others have made great efforts to research the Heaths of Northumberland without more results than have already been published. Time has also taken its toll. The Parish Registry of
    Wicomico Church, for example, has been destroyed. I'm glad you pointed out the need to find a connection between #19 and #20 in order to prove that the William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County is the same William as the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred
    Jones of Northumberland County. I wish I could produce primary sources. I don't live in Virginia where I could visit county courthouses, although many other researchers have combed through them. I do have some sources which suggest a connection.

In the first link you sent, I think the writer is confusing two different people named William. The story about the second William does not follow from the first. The first William is the son of Thomas and Winifred Jones Heath.
    It indicates he "removed to the Falling Creek area of Lundenburg County." (Bedford County was later formed from Lundenburg.) The second William, whose story the writer tells, is the son of John Heath and his wife Mary Waddy. He is the one who went to
    North Carolina.

This next source does list some documents to support its claims. It says that William Heath, born at of (sic) Wiccomoco Parish, Northumberland, Virginia, about 1719, died in Bedford County. His wife Martha was born about 1720
    in at of Surry, Virginia. They married about 1739 and were the parents of six children, including Thomas Hayth, who married Martha Gilbert 25 Feb. 1772, Bedford, Virginia. When I clicked on Sources, I found a lot of primary sources, though I wish I could

What do you think? What next steps would you, or anyone else, suggest? I'm not sure what kind of primary source would show the information I want--or where I would find it. I would be very interested to hear your opinion, and
    that of any others.

~Cindy

Nathan
    Thanks for the reply. However, I couldn't find online the essential link: the connection between #19 and #20 in the above line, i.e. proof that #20 follows #19. Some secondary sources say it does, but I have to find clear evidence that
    the William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County, whose will was probated there in 1775, was indeed the same William who was born in Northumberland County and was the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones . Perhaps it's because he migrated clear across the
    state that Northumberland County lost track of him and that nobody in Bedford County seems to know his origins. If proof of such a connection exists, it's probably in some obscure source in a courthouse somewhere. I'm a little worried because some of
    those early records no longer exist. For example, the Parish Registry of Wicomico Church in Northumberland County, which would have been very helpful since the early Heaths attended, was destroyed in a fire. Keep your fingers crossed! ~Cindy
    Hello, Group!

I just received the report from the genealogist I had hired to investigate the last part of the line I originally posted above. She did an extensive search to see if she could verify that #20 (William Heath of Bedford County VA) follows
    from #19 (Winifred Jones=Thomas Heath of Northumberland County VA). She was not able to find the origins of William Heath but did find evidence that he was not the son of Winifred Jones and Thomas Heath. Her search was somewhat hampered by lost records,
    some!!

~Cindy
    Cindy, glad to get your update. I was so hoping the genealogist would turn up something. I've done quite a bit of research in Virginia counties, and it can be hard in the ones that have lost records by fire/during the Revolutionary and
    Civil Wars. For future reference, FamilySearch.org's research wiki is great about noting, on the page for each county, the county's records status. By the way, the Library of Virginia is fantastic; I visited once, several years ago, and was able to turn
    up quite a bit. Felt like I could have stayed there for weeks. Wishing you fun, challenge and success on another line!

So glad something in my posts is useful. I am a novice, and feel self-conscious asking so many questions. As I have no familiarity with English records or -- much more important -- the society/periods that generated them, it's lots of "hunting
    and pecking" and very slow going. But so interesting. Others here are kind and patient in dealing with those of us who aren't historians, academics, professional genealogists, or medievalists. I'm trying to keep my enquiries shorter and to the point....
    but it's easy to get off on a tangent :- I think there are many Americans like me who long to discover their English roots! All the best.
    Girl57, yes, that's exactly the Col. Thomas Ligon line I'm researching! He has royal lines and some wonderful medieval ancestors: Bigod, Marshal, Claire, Beauchamp, FitzAlan, Bohun, Mowbray, and Berkeley, to name a few. Here's what I have so far
    for the Virginia line:

~Cindy
    Cindy,

I'm wondering if you or Girl57 have made use of the digitized chancery records through the Library of Virginia's Virginia Memory project (https://www.virginiamemory.com/collections/chancery/faq). With regard to frequent estate and inheritance
    disputes, they often include enclosed copies of wills and inventories submitted by parties, or at least a brief recitation on how various properties descended to various families. I used them to find a number of interesting details about my McKee family
    of Augusta and Rockbridge Counties, one of which borders Bedford County, and neither of which are too far from Buckingham County. Notably, the McKees granted part of the land where you can find what was then referred to as "Liberty Hall Academy" but we

-Elizabeth A
    Elizabeth,

surname of the person in the search box. Unfortunately, the list does not even allow a search of Buckingham County, undoubtedly because all the records there were lost. There is only one record for Bedford County, and it not about William Heath. However,
    it's good to know about this Index. I also found French, S. Bassett, Biographical Sketches helpful for Nineteenth Century ancestors. If you're lucky, you may find a sketch of an ancestor there. How interesting that your McKees were granted land on which
    now stands Washington & Lee University! I remember visiting that university one time.

~Cindy
    I have never used the chancery records but am hoping to get a chance. I have an ancestor who I think was born in Bedford County, but I haven't worked on that line for quite a while. Will look forward to it.

Elizabeth, I think we must be cut from the same genealogical cloth! I, too, feel like many of the ancestors I "meet" through this work are "spiritual ancestors." At times they feel as real as living persons. And I can't wait to walk where they walked...
    So sorry...I meant to direct that last comment to Cindy. Asking so many questions and reading so much that I don't know what's what!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cindy H.@21:1/5 to All on Tue Apr 12 07:20:51 2022
    On Tuesday, April 12, 2022 at 12:55:51 AM UTC-4, Girl57 wrote:
    Cindy, I haven't personally researched the connection between generations 19 and 20, but I think your challenge will be to prove that Virginia portion of the lineage. Have you found evidence that William Heath/Hayth of
    Bedford and Campbell counties, Virginia was the son of Thomas and Winifred (Jones) Heath?

northern-neck/

Nathan
    Nathan,

You have indeed set me up a challenge! Others have made great efforts to research the Heaths of Northumberland without more results than have already been published. Time has also taken its toll. The Parish Registry of
    Wicomico Church, for example, has been destroyed. I'm glad you pointed out the need to find a connection between #19 and #20 in order to prove that the William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County is the same William as the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred
    Jones of Northumberland County. I wish I could produce primary sources. I don't live in Virginia where I could visit county courthouses, although many other researchers have combed through them. I do have some sources which suggest a connection.

In the first link you sent, I think the writer is confusing two different people named William. The story about the second William does not follow from the first. The first William is the son of Thomas and Winifred Jones
    Heath. It indicates he "removed to the Falling Creek area of Lundenburg County." (Bedford County was later formed from Lundenburg.) The second William, whose story the writer tells, is the son of John Heath and his wife Mary Waddy. He is the one who went
    to North Carolina.

This next source does list some documents to support its claims. It says that William Heath, born at of (sic) Wiccomoco Parish, Northumberland, Virginia, about 1719, died in Bedford County. His wife Martha was born about
    1720 in at of Surry, Virginia. They married about 1739 and were the parents of six children, including Thomas Hayth, who married Martha Gilbert 25 Feb. 1772, Bedford, Virginia. When I clicked on Sources, I found a lot of primary sources, though I wish I
    could read and evaluate them. When I clicked on "About this Database," I got the impression it is a responsible one.

What do you think? What next steps would you, or anyone else, suggest? I'm not sure what kind of primary source would show the information I want--or where I would find it. I would be very interested to hear your opinion,
    and that of any others.

~Cindy

Nathan
    I thought I would send an update. Because I don't have access to primary sources or the research expertise that many members of this group have, I hired a genealogist in Virginia who will be searching repositories in
    Northumberland County, the Library of Virginia in Richmond, and in Bedford County, as needed, in order to try and prove the line. I will let you all know the outcome of the search, whatever it is. It may be several months. Meanwhile, I will enjoy reading
    and learning from the group's various posts! ~Cindy
    Thanks for the reply. However, I couldn't find online the essential link: the connection between #19 and #20 in the above line, i.e. proof that #20 follows #19. Some secondary sources say it does, but I have to find clear evidence
    that the William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County, whose will was probated there in 1775, was indeed the same William who was born in Northumberland County and was the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones . Perhaps it's because he migrated clear across
    the state that Northumberland County lost track of him and that nobody in Bedford County seems to know his origins. If proof of such a connection exists, it's probably in some obscure source in a courthouse somewhere. I'm a little worried because some of
    Hello, Group!

some!!

~Cindy
    Cindy, glad to get your update. I was so hoping the genealogist would turn up something. I've done quite a bit of research in Virginia counties, and it can be hard in the ones that have lost records by fire/during the Revolutionary and
    Civil Wars. For future reference, FamilySearch.org's research wiki is great about noting, on the page for each county, the county's records status. By the way, the Library of Virginia is fantastic; I visited once, several years ago, and was able to turn
    up quite a bit. Felt like I could have stayed there for weeks. Wishing you fun, challenge and success on another line!
    Thank you for your lovely reply and suggestion, Girll57! I agree that the Library of Virginia is wonderful. Some of it can be accessed online, too. Though William of Bedford County won't have all those wonderful medieval ancestors, alas, I'
    m still so glad I did a lot of research about them and their often complicated families and about what was happening in the various places where they lived. Otherwise, I would never have even heard of Thomas Camoys and many of the others! Doing that

My FitzRandolph family has interested me in the medieval period, too. The "gateway" line I'm looking at contains, according to Douglas Richardson, an assumed but unproven link that has eluded genealogists for decades; I have no illusions
    about proving the link but am finding it fun to gather as much data as possible. With more records being digitised and more easily available all the time, what's to say that something won't turn up? In the meantime, I'm imagining gazing at the Yorkshire
    Dales on a bright day, appreciating an ancestral home.

So glad something in my posts is useful. I am a novice, and feel self-conscious asking so many questions. As I have no familiarity with English records or -- much more important -- the society/periods that generated them, it's lots of "
    hunting and pecking" and very slow going. But so interesting. Others here are kind and patient in dealing with those of us who aren't historians, academics, professional genealogists, or medievalists. I'm trying to keep my enquiries shorter and to the
    point....but it's easy to get off on a tangent :- I think there are many Americans like me who long to discover their English roots! All the best.
    Girl57, yes, that's exactly the Col. Thomas Ligon line I'm researching! He has royal lines and some wonderful medieval ancestors: Bigod, Marshal, Claire, Beauchamp, FitzAlan, Bohun, Mowbray, and Berkeley, to name a few. Here's what I have so
    far for the Virginia line:

I have continued the line based on my best research but won't post it here because it's not supported by primary sources. Those primary sources will probably never be found because the courthouse in Buckingham Co. burned down! One researcher
    has referred to Buckingham Co. as "a black hole."

I am sorry to lose the ancestors I posted on my above medieval line, but I'm now going to think of them as my "spiritual ancestors"! I've read so much about them that they feel like family members. Since there are numerous secondary sources
    which claim that William of Bedford Co.was s/o Thomas and Winifred, I hope some of those people will see this and correct their records. I also hope that the living descendants of Thomas and Winifred will see this; they may not realize they have royal
    lines and those wonderful ancestors. The above line shows only some of them!

~Cindy
    Cindy,

-Elizabeth A
    Elizabeth,

I have used the Chancery Records Index at the Library of Virginia in the past and found it helpful, though sometimes the handwriting is difficult to read, especially if the document appears sideways! It has worked best for me when I entered only
    the surname of the person in the search box. Unfortunately, the list does not even allow a search of Buckingham County, undoubtedly because all the records there were lost. There is only one record for Bedford County, and it not about William Heath.
    However, it's good to know about this Index. I also found French, S. Bassett, Biographical Sketches helpful for Nineteenth Century ancestors. If you're lucky, you may find a sketch of an ancestor there. How interesting that your McKees were granted land
    on which now stands Washington & Lee University! I remember visiting that university one time.

~Cindy

Elizabeth, I think we must be cut from the same genealogical cloth! I, too, feel like many of the ancestors I "meet" through this work are "spiritual ancestors." At times they feel as real as living persons. And I can't wait to walk where they walked.
    So sorry...I meant to direct that last comment to Cindy. Asking so many questions and reading so much that I don't know what's what!
    No problem, Girl57! I understood the situation! I think we are indeed cut from the same genealogical cloth in that we use our imaginations to place ourselves where our blood ancestors or spiritual ancestors once lived and can feel their presence in our
    lives. I'm sure many people in this group do that.

One more thing: In replying to Elizabeth, I forgot to mention another very helpful section on the Library of Virginia website: "The Henley Marriage and Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers." I have found some significant clues there. All these parts
    of the website are listed on the Site Index.

You know, I am starting to think of genealogical searches toward ancestors the way Chaucer thought of the journey toward Canterbury. The people we meet along the way and the stories they tell are as interesting as the final destination!

~Cindy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to Cindy H. on Tue Apr 12 12:00:50 2022
    On Tuesday, April 12, 2022 at 10:20:53 AM UTC-4, Cindy H. wrote:

northern-neck/

Nathan
    Nathan,

In the first link you sent, I think the writer is confusing two different people named William. The story about the second William does not follow from the first. The first William is the son of Thomas and Winifred Jones
    Heath. It indicates he "removed to the Falling Creek area of Lundenburg County." (Bedford County was later formed from Lundenburg.) The second William, whose story the writer tells, is the son of John Heath and his wife Mary Waddy. He is the one who went
    to North Carolina.

I have part of another source, a paper document, titled "Campbell County, Virginia Heritage Book 1781 -2003.." It has a bio of "William Heath, Founder of the Hayth/Hayth Families." Among other things, it says he was born
    in Northumberland County and "grew up in the presence of the Heaths for which Heathville, Virginia, was named." It notes that he moved to the area that is now Campbell County around 1757, that his Will mentions among others his son "Thomas (who married

This next source does list some documents to support its claims. It says that William Heath, born at of (sic) Wiccomoco Parish, Northumberland, Virginia, about 1719, died in Bedford County. His wife Martha was born about
    1720 in at of Surry, Virginia. They married about 1739 and were the parents of six children, including Thomas Hayth, who married Martha Gilbert 25 Feb. 1772, Bedford, Virginia. When I clicked on Sources, I found a lot of primary sources, though I wish I
    could read and evaluate them. When I clicked on "About this Database," I got the impression it is a responsible one.

What do you think? What next steps would you, or anyone else, suggest? I'm not sure what kind of primary source would show the information I want--or where I would find it. I would be very interested to hear your opinion,
    and that of any others.

~Cindy

Nathan
    I thought I would send an update. Because I don't have access to primary sources or the research expertise that many members of this group have, I hired a genealogist in Virginia who will be searching repositories in
    Northumberland County, the Library of Virginia in Richmond, and in Bedford County, as needed, in order to try and prove the line. I will let you all know the outcome of the search, whatever it is. It may be several months. Meanwhile, I will enjoy reading
    Thanks for the reply. However, I couldn't find online the essential link: the connection between #19 and #20 in the above line, i.e. proof that #20 follows #19. Some secondary sources say it does, but I have to find clear evidence
    that the William Heath/Hayth in Bedford County, whose will was probated there in 1775, was indeed the same William who was born in Northumberland County and was the son of Thomas Heath and Winifred Jones . Perhaps it's because he migrated clear across
    the state that Northumberland County lost track of him and that nobody in Bedford County seems to know his origins. If proof of such a connection exists, it's probably in some obscure source in a courthouse somewhere. I'm a little worried because some of
    Hello, Group!

I just received the report from the genealogist I had hired to investigate the last part of the line I originally posted above. She did an extensive search to see if she could verify that #20 (William Heath of Bedford County VA)
    follows from #19 (Winifred Jones=Thomas Heath of Northumberland County VA). She was not able to find the origins of William Heath but did find evidence that he was not the son of Winifred Jones and Thomas Heath. Her search was somewhat hampered by lost
    records, particularly lost early wills, that would have been helpful, but based on existing records her conclusions are convincing. They mean that the original line I posted above is good down through #19 but is broken after that. Well, you win some, and
    you lose some!!

~Cindy
    Thank you for your lovely reply and suggestion, Girll57! I agree that the Library of Virginia is wonderful. Some of it can be accessed online, too. Though William of Bedford County won't have all those wonderful medieval ancestors, alas,
    I'm still so glad I did a lot of research about them and their often complicated families and about what was happening in the various places where they lived. Otherwise, I would never have even heard of Thomas Camoys and many of the others! Doing that
    Cindy, Your enthusiasm is contagious. Yes, what was called the Northern Neck of Virginia did indeed encompass a lot more area then than it does now. I have Northern Neck ancestors, too. Are you researching line stemming from this Thomas
    Ligon?

My FitzRandolph family has interested me in the medieval period, too. The "gateway" line I'm looking at contains, according to Douglas Richardson, an assumed but unproven link that has eluded genealogists for decades; I have no illusions
    about proving the link but am finding it fun to gather as much data as possible. With more records being digitised and more easily available all the time, what's to say that something won't turn up? In the meantime, I'm imagining gazing at the Yorkshire

So glad something in my posts is useful. I am a novice, and feel self-conscious asking so many questions. As I have no familiarity with English records or -- much more important -- the society/periods that generated them, it's lots of "
    hunting and pecking" and very slow going. But so interesting. Others here are kind and patient in dealing with those of us who aren't historians, academics, professional genealogists, or medievalists. I'm trying to keep my enquiries shorter and to the
    point....but it's easy to get off on a tangent :- I think there are many Americans like me who long to discover their English roots! All the best.
    Girl57, yes, that's exactly the Col. Thomas Ligon line I'm researching! He has royal lines and some wonderful medieval ancestors: Bigod, Marshal, Claire, Beauchamp, FitzAlan, Bohun, Mowbray, and Berkeley, to name a few. Here's what I have so
    far for the Virginia line:

I have continued the line based on my best research but won't post it here because it's not supported by primary sources. Those primary sources will probably never be found because the courthouse in Buckingham Co. burned down! One researcher
    has referred to Buckingham Co. as "a black hole."

I am sorry to lose the ancestors I posted on my above medieval line, but I'm now going to think of them as my "spiritual ancestors"! I've read so much about them that they feel like family members. Since there are numerous secondary sources
    which claim that William of Bedford Co.was s/o Thomas and Winifred, I hope some of those people will see this and correct their records. I also hope that the living descendants of Thomas and Winifred will see this; they may not realize they have royal

Your FitzRandolph family sounds fascinating. I agree: more and more things turn up all the time. I can identify with you gazing at the Yorkshire Dales! I have numerous ancestors from Yorkshire. Like you, I am a novice. Don't feel self-
    conscious about asking a lot of questions! It's the way to learn, and your questions and the answers you receive are interesting to others, too. Going off on tangents can sometimes lead to discoveries. I'll look forward to more of your posts.

~Cindy
    Cindy,

-Elizabeth A
    Elizabeth,

I have used the Chancery Records Index at the Library of Virginia in the past and found it helpful, though sometimes the handwriting is difficult to read, especially if the document appears sideways! It has worked best for me when I entered only
    the surname of the person in the search box. Unfortunately, the list does not even allow a search of Buckingham County, undoubtedly because all the records there were lost. There is only one record for Bedford County, and it not about William Heath.
    However, it's good to know about this Index. I also found French, S. Bassett, Biographical Sketches helpful for Nineteenth Century ancestors. If you're lucky, you may find a sketch of an ancestor there. How interesting that your McKees were granted land
    on which now stands Washington & Lee University! I remember visiting that university one time.

~Cindy

Elizabeth, I think we must be cut from the same genealogical cloth! I, too, feel like many of the ancestors I "meet" through this work are "spiritual ancestors." At times they feel as real as living persons. And I can't wait to walk where they
    walked...
    No problem, Girl57! I understood the situation! I think we are indeed cut from the same genealogical cloth in that we use our imaginations to place ourselves where our blood ancestors or spiritual ancestors once lived and can feel their presence in our
    lives. I'm sure many people in this group do that.

One more thing: In replying to Elizabeth, I forgot to mention another very helpful section on the Library of Virginia website: "The Henley Marriage and Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers." I have found some significant clues there. All these parts

You know, I am starting to think of genealogical searches toward ancestors the way Chaucer thought of the journey toward Canterbury. The people we meet along the way and the stories they tell are as interesting as the final destination!

~Cindy
    Absolutey, Cindy! Such an adventure. I've even called individual ancestors to mind during my own difficult times, when I knew the hardships and losses they had been through and survived...especially the very humble folks and those of modest resources. I'
    ve imagined them in time of joy or rest. And...on my kitchen wall is an artistic rendering of a centuries-ago milkmaid in London's Cavendish Square. If I believed in past lives....maybe she and I worked together LOL!

I'm also reminded of William Faulkner's observation: "The past is never dead. It's not even past."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cindy H.@21:1/5 to All on Tue Apr 12 16:46:17 2022
    On Tuesday, April 12, 2022 at 3:00:52 PM UTC-4, Girl57 wrote:
    On Tuesday, April 12, 2022 at 10:20:53 AM UTC-4, Cindy H. wrote:

northern-neck/

Nathan
    Nathan,

to North Carolina.

I have part of another source, a paper document, titled "Campbell County, Virginia Heritage Book 1781 -2003.." It has a bio of "William Heath, Founder of the Hayth/Hayth Families." Among other things, it says he was born
    in Northumberland County and "grew up in the presence of the Heaths for which Heathville, Virginia, was named." It notes that he moved to the area that is now Campbell County around 1757, that his Will mentions among others his son "Thomas (who married

and that of any others.

~Cindy

Nathan
    Hello, Group!

I just received the report from the genealogist I had hired to investigate the last part of the line I originally posted above. She did an extensive search to see if she could verify that #20 (William Heath of Bedford County VA)
    follows from #19 (Winifred Jones=Thomas Heath of Northumberland County VA). She was not able to find the origins of William Heath but did find evidence that he was not the son of Winifred Jones and Thomas Heath. Her search was somewhat hampered by lost
    records, particularly lost early wills, that would have been helpful, but based on existing records her conclusions are convincing. They mean that the original line I posted above is good down through #19 but is broken after that. Well, you win some, and
    you lose some!!

~Cindy
    Cindy, glad to get your update. I was so hoping the genealogist would turn up something. I've done quite a bit of research in Virginia counties, and it can be hard in the ones that have lost records by fire/during the Revolutionary
    and Civil Wars. For future reference, FamilySearch.org's research wiki is great about noting, on the page for each county, the county's records status. By the way, the Library of Virginia is fantastic; I visited once, several years ago, and was able to
    turn up quite a bit. Felt like I could have stayed there for weeks. Wishing you fun, challenge and success on another line!
    Thank you for your lovely reply and suggestion, Girll57! I agree that the Library of Virginia is wonderful. Some of it can be accessed online, too. Though William of Bedford County won't have all those wonderful medieval ancestors, alas,
    I'm still so glad I did a lot of research about them and their often complicated families and about what was happening in the various places where they lived. Otherwise, I would never have even heard of Thomas Camoys and many of the others! Doing that
    Cindy, Your enthusiasm is contagious. Yes, what was called the Northern Neck of Virginia did indeed encompass a lot more area then than it does now. I have Northern Neck ancestors, too. Are you researching line stemming from this Thomas
    Ligon?

Girl57, yes, that's exactly the Col. Thomas Ligon line I'm researching! He has royal lines and some wonderful medieval ancestors: Bigod, Marshal, Claire, Beauchamp, FitzAlan, Bohun, Mowbray, and Berkeley, to name a few. Here's what I have
    so far for the Virginia line:

I have continued the line based on my best research but won't post it here because it's not supported by primary sources. Those primary sources will probably never be found because the courthouse in Buckingham Co. burned down! One
    researcher has referred to Buckingham Co. as "a black hole."

Your FitzRandolph family sounds fascinating. I agree: more and more things turn up all the time. I can identify with you gazing at the Yorkshire Dales! I have numerous ancestors from Yorkshire. Like you, I am a novice. Don't feel self-
    conscious about asking a lot of questions! It's the way to learn, and your questions and the answers you receive are interesting to others, too. Going off on tangents can sometimes lead to discoveries. I'll look forward to more of your posts.

~Cindy
    Cindy,

-Elizabeth A
    Elizabeth,

I have used the Chancery Records Index at the Library of Virginia in the past and found it helpful, though sometimes the handwriting is difficult to read, especially if the document appears sideways! It has worked best for me when I entered
    only the surname of the person in the search box. Unfortunately, the list does not even allow a search of Buckingham County, undoubtedly because all the records there were lost. There is only one record for Bedford County, and it not about William Heath.

~Cindy

Elizabeth, I think we must be cut from the same genealogical cloth! I, too, feel like many of the ancestors I "meet" through this work are "spiritual ancestors." At times they feel as real as living persons. And I can't wait to walk where they
    walked...
    No problem, Girl57! I understood the situation! I think we are indeed cut from the same genealogical cloth in that we use our imaginations to place ourselves where our blood ancestors or spiritual ancestors once lived and can feel their presence in
    our lives. I'm sure many people in this group do that.

~Cindy
    Absolutey, Cindy! Such an adventure. I've even called individual ancestors to mind during my own difficult times, when I knew the hardships and losses they had been through and survived...especially the very humble folks and those of modest resources.
    I've imagined them in time of joy or rest. And...on my kitchen wall is an artistic rendering of a centuries-ago milkmaid in London's Cavendish Square. If I believed in past lives....maybe she and I worked together LOL!

I'm also reminded of William Faulkner's observation: "The past is never dead. It's not even past."
    A perfect quote from Faulkner, Girl57! Hope all goes well with your research.

~Cindy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05