• Re: offensive posts

From taf@21:1/5 to guineapi...@gmail.com on Sat Jan 29 20:48:35 2022
    On Saturday, January 29, 2022 at 5:07:07 PM UTC-8, guineapi...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi all. I know all about the 2nd amendment, but cannot someone do something to stop this disgusting rubbish?

Yes, . . . and no. Google could do something about it but they choose not to (and when they have acted it has been to nuke a whole group on their system rather than addressing the specific problem).

As PJ suggested, you just need to mark the messages as spam and Google will hide it from you, but every user has to individually flag the message - there is no threshhold where if enough users flag a post they will quit showing it to everyone.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From pj.evans88@gmail.com@21:1/5 to guineapi...@gmail.com on Sat Jan 29 19:47:19 2022
    Hi all. I know all about the 2nd amendment, but cannot someone do something to stop this disgusting rubbish?
    Nancy

Flag it as spam - which it is - and when you're signed in, you won't see it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From guineapigchumlee@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 29 17:07:05 2022
    Nancy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ian Goddard@21:1/5 to taf on Sun Jan 30 16:12:00 2022
    On 30/01/2022 04:48, taf wrote:

Yes, . . . and no. Google could do something about it but they choose not to (and when they have acted it has been to nuke a whole group on their system rather than addressing the specific problem).

As PJ suggested, you just need to mark the messages as spam and Google will hide it from you, but every user has to individually flag the message - there is no threshhold where if enough users flag a post they will quit showing it to everyone.

It depends on how you're following the group. If, like me, you use the
    old school usenet your news client may also be able to do something
    about it. The posts I assume are referred to are generally spammed as
    comments on relatively few threads. The Thunderbird client or its
    derivative in Sea Monkey can kill an entire thread. Just select the
    header, type k and it will be hidden next time you view the group along
    with any additional posts. In addition a complaint to the server you
    subscribe to might also provide a result. Although I new use my ISP's
    link to Giganews I used to use individual.net and they would block
    problem posters.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From WADP@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 30 15:36:51 2022
    Just a reminder that the second amendment applies to the United States only. It does not apply here in Canada, where I live, or elsewhere. That said it doesn't mean I don't find the spam offensive - I do. As much as I would personally like to see such
    posts permanently removed, I do the next best thing. I flag them as spam and so I don't see them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From joseph cook@21:1/5 to pdaw...@gmail.com on Sun Jan 30 16:51:26 2022
    On Sunday, January 30, 2022 at 6:36:52 PM UTC-5, pdaw...@gmail.com wrote:
    Just a reminder that the second amendment applies to the United States only. It does not apply here in Canada, where I live, or elsewhere. That said it doesn't mean I don't find the spam offensive - I do. As much as I would personally like to see such
    posts permanently removed, I do the next best thing. I flag them as spam and so I don't see them.

Just to be infinitely clear, the 2nd amendment in the US prohibits the federal government from infringing on the right of the people to keep and bear arms. It could not have less to do with the spam here.

--Joe C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05