• The parentage of Sir Walter Devereux who m. Agnes Crophull: Walter, not

From Darrell E. Larocque@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 1 07:57:58 2022
    Unfortunately there is no way around this... how do you correct the record of a family that has had its pedigree reproduced incorrectly in so many secondary sources? The parents of Sir Walter Devereux, who married Agnes Crophull, were not William
    Devereux and Anne Barre. Here is what I have found:

CLOSE ROLLS

As recorded in the Close Rolls [H.C. Maxwell Lyte, ed. Calendar of Close Rolls, Richard II, vol. 2 (1920)] on page 218 and states the following:

Oct. 25, 1382, Westminster.

"Walter Devereux, knight, Walter his son, John Devereux knight, and John de Bureley knight to John de Crophulle knight. Recognisance for 400l., to be levied etc. in Heretfordshire."

https://archive.org/details/calendarofclos02grea/page/218/mode/1up?

Close Rolls source does in fact name Walter as the son of Walter Devereux and not William, and they are accompanied by a knight in the service of John de Crophull, the grandfather of Agnes Crophull, who was still alive at that time in 1382.

HISTORY OF PARLIAMENT ONLINE

"son and heir of Walter Devereux, Knt., by his wife, Maud. They had four sons, Walter, Esq., John, Richard, and Thomas, and two daughters, Elizabeth and Margaret."

http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1386-1421/member/devereux-sir-walter-1402

TIMELINE (myself)

Timeline I have for this line relevant to the issue:

1376 (ca.) William Devereux, supposed father of Walter, dies. (CP)
    1382 Sir Walter, Knt. and son Sir Walter, Knt/MP. record (CR)
    1387 (ca.) Sir Walter, Knt/MP's son Walter is born.

William Devereux died about 1376 so it is impossible for him to have accompanied his supposed son in 1382. The youngest Walter wasn't born until at least 1386, so he wasn't even alive in 1382. The Close Rolls cannot have made an error regarding the name
    Walter or it naming his son. The Close Rolls for 1382 must be correct, and Sir Walter, Knt./MP was born of Walter and not William. Somewhere along the way, a generation was skipped and HOP is one of the few sources that I have seen that has it right.

Therefore, as of now, this is what I am now working with to sort out:

William Devereux, m. Anne Barre
    Walter Devereux, Knt., m. Maud?
    Walter Devereux, Knt. and MP for Herefordshire, m. Agnes Crophull

I have yet to find a source from HOP where Maud, wife of the father Walter, is recorded.

I hope this was clear and this is not an easy task to sort out this mess in full!

Darrell E. Larocque

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)