• Mother of the children of John Hopton of Rockhill and Chirbury (died be

From fowler.oliver@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 21 06:24:32 2021
    Dear Newsgroup

The pedigree of Hopton of Hopton, and of Canon Frome, in co. Hereford in the Visitation of Shropshire (vol. I, 256-259) shows that John Hopton of Rockhill, sheriff of Shropshire in 1575 had two wives: (1) Katherine Peter, daughter of William Peter and (2)
    Frances Cressett, widow of Smith of Morville. The children ascribed to the first marriage in the pedigree are (i) Jane wife of Richard Cressett and Samuel Lewknor, (ii) Thomas Hopton, (iii) Joseph Hopton husband of Penelope Burrell, daughter of William
    Burrell. The children ascribed to the second marriage are (iv) William Hopton of Chirbury, son and heir and husband of Dorothy Morgan, (v) Katherine wife of George Hockleton, (vi) Elizabeth wife of William Littleton, (vii) Simon Hopton, (viii) George
    Hopton, (ix) Charles Hopton.

The Will of John Hopton dated 7 November 1578 was proved on 2 February 1579 (5 Bakon, PCC PROB/11/61/64). A transcript is set out below.

Katherine Hopton, the first wife, may have been buried at Burford on 9 March 1562 (parish register on FindMyPast). Burford is mentioned in the Will of John Hopton.

The first husband of Frances Cresset was George Smith of Morville who also died in 1562 and whose Will was proved by Frances Smith on 5 February 1563 (7 Chayre, PCC PROB/11/46/79), albeit that the Will was subsequently found to have been a forgery.

The earliest date for the marriage of Frances Cressett and John Hopton was early 1563 meaning that any children could have been no more than 15 at the date of the Will of John Hopton. It is apparent from the Will that William and Thomas, the joint
    executors were both of full age. It would also appear that George (then beyond the seas) and Charles, both beneficiaries without any provision for deferment until they were of age, were also over 21. Katherine and Elizabeth were both unmarried at the
    date of the Will and there is no indication as to their age. The only child who was clearly under age was Simon and it would appear from the general tenor of the Will that he was quite young (not yet apparent whether he would have any aptitude for
    learning). There is no mention in the Will of Jane or Joseph.

It is clear from the Will that the Visitation pedigree is, at least partially, incorrect. Perhaps Simon was the only child of the second marriage.

Can anyone shed any light on the ancestry of William Peter and his daughter, Katherine?

Will of John Hopton of Chirbury (PCC PROB/11/61/64, 5 Bakon)

In the name of God Amen the seventh day of November Anno Domini 1578 / I John Hopton of Chirbury in the county of Salop esquire considering my frail and sickly state with the certainty of death to approach and the uncertainty of the hour and time thereof,
    do therefore for the health of my soul quiet of my conscience and quieture of them whom I would should enjoy that worldly wealth which God hath lent me; make and declare this my last will and testament in manner and form ensuing / I commend my soul to
    my Almighty maker savior and redeemer my body to the earth my funeral to be performed and done in such godly and commendable order as shall be seemly to my [station] referring the same to the discretion of my executors.

Item I give and bequeath to William Hopton my son my best damask gown my best long carpet and my best square carpet at Morvell with all the cushions suitable to the same carpet together with my best curtains and valeures of silk to the same at Morvell
    aforesaid / Item I do ordain and make William Hopton and Thomas Hopton my sons to be my Executors of this my last will and testament and will that they shall cause all the residue of my goods being at Morvell aforesaid to be apprised and valued within
    fifteen days after my decease by two indifferent men to be appointed and chosen by my Executors and then my will is that if Frances my wife do become bounden with two sufficient sureties with her by obligation of five hundred pounds of lawful English
    money to my son William Hopton within one month next after my decease indorsed with condition to this effect viz. that the said Frances shall give and devise unto William Hopton my son his executors and assigns the time of her decease the said value of
    the said goods as the same shall be praised unto by the said indifferent men and that my said son his executors or assigns shall be satisfied and paid thereof within one month next after the decease of the said Francis my wife that then my said wife upon
    the sealing and delivering of the said bond in manner and form aforesaid shall have all the said residue of my said goods to her own proper use / Item if Katherine and Elizabeth my daughters do bestow themselves in marriage by and with the consent of
    their brothers William Hopton and Thomas Hopton then do I give and devise unto either of them the sum of one hundred pounds in money to be paid within one year next after the days of their [several] marriages / That is to wit To Katherine one hundred
    pounds within a year after her marriage and to Elizabeth the other hundred pounds within one year after her marriage.

Item my will is that my Executors shall carefully see to the bringing up of Simon Hopton my son in learning if they shall find him apt and disposed thereunto / if not then otherwise as best shall seem to their discretions / and my further will is that
    all such rents that do and shall yearly grow and come unto me by one yeoman [Preis] Midleton for certain grounds and stock upon the same for … years to come shall be by my said Executors disbursed and bestowed to maintain the said Simon Hopton at
    learning or otherwise as to my said executors shall seem most convenient / And further I do give and devise unto the said Simon one hundred pounds to be paid unto him by my said executors at such time as he shall fully accomplish the age of four and
    twenty years for his full portion and child's part / Item I give and bequeath unto William Hall my servant during his natural life all that my tenement in Stoke in the term and occupation of one Walter Clark with all lands meadows leasowes and pastures
    with the appurtenances belonging to the same, to begin after the end and expiration of the lease that the said Walter Clark now holdeth the same by yielding and paying for the same to my heirs yearly four nobles of current English money at Michaelmas and
    the Annunciation of Our Lady by equal portions provided always that the said William Hall shall not sell, let, nor alienate the premises or any part thereof without license of the Lord / Item I bequeath give and bequeath unto Jane Hall my servant so she
    marry with the consent of William Hopton my heir the tenement and living that her father William Hall of Hartall now holdeth and enjoyeth during her natural life with the appurtenances belonging to the same to commence and begin after the end of her
    father's lease / yielding and paying for the same by the year forty shillings at two usual [terms] Michaelmas and the Annunciation by even portions / Item I give and bequeath unto every one of my other household servants one whole years wages To be paid
    them by my Executors at their departure / Item I do further give devise and bequeath unto William Hopton my son and heir apparent all and all [manner] my goods rent cattle and chattels whatsoever now in the possession of John Hopton and being within the
    parish of Chirbury in the county of Salop or within the parish of Forden in the county of Montgomery or in either of them and also all and all [manner] my goods implements and household stuff whatsoever at Rockhill in the said County of Salop or in the
    custody of any others in the parish of Burford the rather to draw him and affect him to come and keep house at Chirbury aforesaid for a better stay and comfort to his brethren sisters kin and friends in time to come / Item I do give and devise unto
    Thomas Hopton my son all that my lease of [Kery y prior] the which lease I have delivered him already / Item I do give and bequeath him all my lands meadows leasowes and tenements in Nantcribba and Forden [Undelyn als Wonley] and Ackley in the county of
    Montgomery with all my term and interest to the same which I hold by lease for years yet to come of the demise of Roger Lloyd gent, Richard Lloyd son and heir apparent of the said Roger, Humphrey Lloyd, Oliver Matthews and Richard Matthews, or of any
    other person or persons whatsoever also Ten of my best kyne in the keeping of John [Kydwallader] of Merton / Eight of my mares in the keeping of John ap William of Kerry / Forty sheep in the keeping of Owen ap Rees of Llanvair, forty other sheep in the
    keeping of David ap Lewes, and all my apparel (only excepted my damask gown and velvet jerkin) which I have and do give unto William Hopton my son / Item I do give and bequeath unto George Hopton my son seven score of my best sheep, in the keeping of
    David ap Rees of Hurdley to be delivered him at his return from beyond the seas to help him hereafter the better to procure and purchase a longer state in …….. of the mills and lands in Burrington in the county of Hereford which I hold by lease of
    our sovereign lady the Queen … and have already long since given them to the said George Hopton my son / Item I do give unto Charles Hopton my son all such debts that George Hopton my brother did owe me at his death and one hundred pounds of money To
    be paid him within one year after my decease by my Executors out of my goods and chattels / Item I will that my executors do give and deliver unto Thomas Tayler my Tenant in Chirbury one cow, unto William Hall my servant one cow and a colt, unto Humphrey
    Lloyd my satin doublet with … sleeves, and unto Jane Hall my servant a heifer when in calf or one cow, Item I do give to my daughter Katherine the best of my two [chains] that my wife has in her custody to be delivered her by my Executors the day of
    her marriage; so she marry with the consent of them / Item all the residue of my goods not heretofore bequeathed I do give and bequeath unto my Executors to the performance of this my last will deed and testament with all such specialties that remain
    with my wife, or any other person or persons Also for my stock of cattle that George Smith took at his entrance upon Morvell As also for my corn sold unto William Harley, Edward Woodward, Thomas Corser and others that was then growing upon the grounds at
    my house at Morvell and upon the … of the same, at such time as George Smith entered upon the same together with Ten pounds of money the which my wife received of William Harley due for the rent of Morvell now since Michaelmas last / Item I will that
    Edward [Yoppe] have and enjoy the … in the long field which he now occupieth next unto his house for and during the space of twenty and one years if he so long … for and at such rent as he now payeth for the same.

Proved 2 February 1579 by William Hopton.

Oliver Fowler

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)