• Vaughan, Devereux, Herbert, Wogan, Harewell

From jmallie@msn.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 7 20:36:05 2021
    I have never had much luck figuring out the Devereux family. I started down this path is trying to understand the interconnections among certain families: Morgan, Vaughan, Devereux, de le Bere, Herbert, Wogan, and Harewell. Looking at Devereux recently
    I noticed Wikipedia had:
    William Devereux, d. 1265 at Evesham as the son of a daughter of Hugh Bigod, 3rd Earl of Norfolk, and Maud Marshal.
    I find no such marriage in Magna Carta Ancestry. The claimed support is The Welsh Assize Roll, 1277-1284. (Cardiff: University of Wales, 1940), p. 341 Membrane 44. In effect it appears this source says William, son of William Devereux, claiming against
    Roger Bigod, Earl ... half of one knight’s fee in Runston and the vill of St. Petr in Netherwent as his right, whereof he says William Devereux, his father, was seised in the time of King Henry III. … into which as the Earl did not have entry,
    except by the disseisin, which Roger Bigod, his uncle, did therein to William Devereux, the father of William who now claims. This is read to suggest Roger Bigod was William Devereux’s uncle and therefore his mother was a daughter of Hugh Bigod. I do
    not have access to the original, but I read it to suggest Earl Roger’s uncle Roger Bigod took the interests from William’s father. Thoughts on this and the following line from this William Devereux (d. 1265)) are appreciated:

1. William Devereux (c. 1244–1314) of Lyonshall = Alice Grandison.
    2. Walter Devereux (c 1266 - 1305) = Margery de Braose.
    3A John Devereux of Manne (1302- )
    4. Sir John Devereux K.G. (- 1393) of Whitchurch Maund.
    3B. Stephen Devereux (c 1290 - 1350 ) of Bodenham and Burghope = Cicely.
    4. William Devereux (c. 1315 -1377) of Bodenham = Anne, daughter of Sir John Barre.
    5. Sir Walter Devereux of Bodenham (c 1339 -1383) married Maud. Member of Parliament, sheriff, and Justice of the Peace for Hereford.
    6A Ann Devereux = Roger Vaughan the elder
    7. Sir Roger Vaughan (1377-1415) died Agincourt with his father -in-law. Married Gwladus Verch Dafyd Gam
    6B Sir Walter Devereux of Bodenham ( - 25 July 1402) m. Agnes Crophull. Member of Parliament, sheriff, and Justice of the Peace for Hereford.
    7. Sir Walter Devereux (1387–1419) married about 1409 to Elizabeth Maud Bromwich, daughter of Sir Thomas Bromwich. Fought at Agincourt along with his cousin Sir Roger Vaughan.
    8. Sir Walter Devereux (1411 – 22 April 1459), Lord Chancellor of Ireland, married Elizabeth Merbury.
    9A. Anne (c. 1430 – after 25 June 1486) married William Herbert, 1st Earl of Pembroke stepson of Sir Roger Vaughan and half-brother of Thomas, Walkin/Walter and Elizabeth Vaughan.
    9B Walter Devereaux Lord Ferrers of Chartley in right of his wife (c.1432 – 22 August 1485). Killed fighting for Richard III at Bosworth Field.

I think 7-9B are supportable, at least Richardson agrees. 6A back is not all that clear.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to jma...@msn.com on Wed Sep 8 14:58:56 2021
    On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 8:36:06 PM UTC-7, jma...@msn.com wrote:
    I have never had much luck figuring out the Devereux family. I started down this path is trying to understand the interconnections among certain families: Morgan, Vaughan, Devereux, de le Bere, Herbert, Wogan, and Harewell. Looking at Devereux recently
    I noticed Wikipedia had:
    William Devereux, d. 1265 at Evesham as the son of a daughter of Hugh Bigod, 3rd Earl of Norfolk, and Maud Marshal.
    I find no such marriage in Magna Carta Ancestry. The claimed support is The Welsh Assize Roll, 1277-1284. (Cardiff: University of Wales, 1940), p. 341 Membrane 44. In effect it appears this source says William, son of William Devereux, claiming against
    Roger Bigod, Earl ... half of one knight’s fee in Runston and the vill of St. Petr in Netherwent as his right, whereof he says William Devereux, his father, was seised in the time of King Henry III. … into which as the Earl did not have entry, except
    by the disseisin, which Roger Bigod, his uncle, did therein to William Devereux, the father of William who now claims. This is read to suggest Roger Bigod was William Devereux’s uncle and therefore his mother was a daughter of Hugh Bigod. I do not have
    access to the original, but I read it to suggest Earl Roger’s uncle Roger Bigod took the interests from William’s father. Thoughts on this and the following line from this William Devereux (d. 1265)) are appreciated:

1. William Devereux (c. 1244–1314) of Lyonshall = Alice Grandison.
    4. William Devereux (c. 1315 -1377) of Bodenham = Anne, daughter of Sir John Barre.
    5. Sir Walter Devereux of Bodenham (c 1339 -1383) married Maud. Member of Parliament, sheriff, and Justice of the Peace for Hereford.
    7. Sir Roger Vaughan (1377-1415) died Agincourt with his father -in-law. Married Gwladus Verch Dafyd Gam
    6B Sir Walter Devereux of Bodenham ( - 25 July 1402) m. Agnes Crophull. Member of Parliament, sheriff, and Justice of the Peace for Hereford.
    7. Sir Walter Devereux (1387–1419) married about 1409 to Elizabeth Maud Bromwich, daughter of Sir Thomas Bromwich. Fought at Agincourt along with his cousin Sir Roger Vaughan.
    8. Sir Walter Devereux (1411 – 22 April 1459), Lord Chancellor of Ireland, married Elizabeth Merbury.
    9A. Anne (c. 1430 – after 25 June 1486) married William Herbert, 1st Earl of Pembroke stepson of Sir Roger Vaughan and half-brother of Thomas, Walkin/Walter and Elizabeth Vaughan.
    9B Walter Devereaux Lord Ferrers of Chartley in right of his wife (c.1432 – 22 August 1485). Killed fighting for Richard III at Bosworth Field.

I think 7-9B are supportable, at least Richardson agrees. 6A back is not all that clear.

What Wikipedia entry?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Devereux

William slain at Evesham, was the son of Stephen by Isabel Cantilupe

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jmallie@msn.com@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Wed Sep 8 18:46:46 2021
    On Wednesday, September 8, 2021 at 5:58:58 PM UTC-4, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    I have never had much luck figuring out the Devereux family. I started down this path is trying to understand the interconnections among certain families: Morgan, Vaughan, Devereux, de le Bere, Herbert, Wogan, and Harewell. Looking at Devereux
    recently I noticed Wikipedia had:
    I find no such marriage in Magna Carta Ancestry. The claimed support is The Welsh Assize Roll, 1277-1284. (Cardiff: University of Wales, 1940), p. 341 Membrane 44. In effect it appears this source says William, son of William Devereux, claiming
    against Roger Bigod, Earl ... half of one knight’s fee in Runston and the vill of St. Petr in Netherwent as his right, whereof he says William Devereux, his father, was seised in the time of King Henry III. … into which as the Earl did not have entry,
    except by the disseisin, which Roger Bigod, his uncle, did therein to William Devereux, the father of William who now claims. This is read to suggest Roger Bigod was William Devereux’s uncle and therefore his mother was a daughter of Hugh Bigod. I do
    not have access to the original, but I read it to suggest Earl Roger’s uncle Roger Bigod took the interests from William’s father. Thoughts on this and the following line from this William Devereux (d. 1265)) are appreciated:

3B. Stephen Devereux (c 1290 - 1350 ) of Bodenham and Burghope = Cicely. 4. William Devereux (c. 1315 -1377) of Bodenham = Anne, daughter of Sir John Barre.

What Wikipedia entry?

"William Devereux was born about 1244, the son of the powerful marcher lord, William Devereux the Elder,[2][3] and a daughter of Hugh Bigod, 3rd Earl of Norfolk, and Maud Marshal.[4]
    His mother died while he was still a young child, and his father married a second time to Maud de Giffard about 1258.[2][b] Her brothers, Walter de Giffard[2] and Godfrey de Giffard, both became Lord Chancellors of England, and the Giffard family would
    play a major role in the events of his life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Devereux,_Baron_Devereux_of_Lyonshall

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jmallie@msn.com@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Wed Sep 8 18:45:42 2021
    I have never had much luck figuring out the Devereux family. I started down this path is trying to understand the interconnections among certain families: Morgan, Vaughan, Devereux, de le Bere, Herbert, Wogan, and Harewell. Looking at Devereux
    I find no such marriage in Magna Carta Ancestry. The claimed support is The Welsh Assize Roll, 1277-1284. (Cardiff: University of Wales, 1940), p. 341 Membrane 44. In effect it appears this source says William, son of William Devereux, claiming
    against Roger Bigod, Earl ... half of one knight’s fee in Runston and the vill of St. Petr in Netherwent as his right, whereof he says William Devereux, his father, was seised in the time of King Henry III. … into which as the Earl did not have entry,

3B. Stephen Devereux (c 1290 - 1350 ) of Bodenham and Burghope = Cicely. 4. William Devereux (c. 1315 -1377) of Bodenham = Anne, daughter of Sir John Barre.

What Wikipedia entry?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Will Johnson on Thu Sep 9 11:47:49 2021
    On 09-Sep-21 7:58 AM, Will Johnson wrote:

What Wikipedia entry?

There appears to be a bit of magpie genealogy and chronology on this
    page unsupported by citation - it states:

"William Marshal directed his attention to arranging marriage alliances
    for his children. He did the same for his foster son in 1209, when he
    arranged Stephen Devereux's marriage to Isabel de Cantilupe, daughter of William de Cantilupe Sheriff of Herefordshire and his wife, Mazilia
    Braci. She was also the aunt of Thomas de Cantilupe, Bishop of Hereford."

No reference is given for the marriage arrangement or its date, and the
    only references offered for the filiation of Isabel are:

1. A table in *Stemmata Shirleiana* (1873) where she is named "Isabella Cantilupe" without specified parentage, referring to a charter of hers
    printed in *Collectanea topographica et genealogica* 2 (1835) giving her
    name as "Ysabele de Cantalou" when donating for the souls of her two
    husbands, again without specifying her parentage.

2. An entry on 31 March 1228 in *Close Rolls of Henry III* vol. 1 (1902)
    naming Stephen Devereux's widow as "Isabella de Cantilupo", also without specifying her parentage.

According to Brock Holden in *Lords of the Central Marches* (2008) p.
    98: "Stephen ... married Isabelle de Cantilupe, who was very likely
    related to the 'curialis' William I de Cantilupe." The footnote states: "Crouch, *William Marshal*, 225, speculates that Isabelle was a sister
    of William I de Cantilupe." This would make her a daughter of Walter
    Cantilupe and Amicia, sister-in-law rather than daughter of Mazilia
    Braci and a great-aunt of Bishop Thomas. Crouch noted that Stephen
    occurs in the entourage of William Marshal in 1207, but says nothing
    about their being "foster" father and son or of a marriage arranged in 1209.

Caveat lector.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to jmallie@msn.com on Thu Sep 9 13:18:18 2021
    On 09-Sep-21 11:46 AM, jmallie@msn.com wrote:

3B. Stephen Devereux (c 1290 - 1350 ) of Bodenham and Burghope = Cicely. >>> 4. William Devereux (c. 1315 -1377) of Bodenham = Anne, daughter of Sir John Barre.

What Wikipedia entry?

"William Devereux was born about 1244, the son of the powerful marcher lord, William Devereux the Elder,[2][3] and a daughter of Hugh Bigod, 3rd Earl of Norfolk, and Maud Marshal.[4]
    His mother died while he was still a young child, and his father married a second time to Maud de Giffard about 1258.[2][b] Her brothers, Walter de Giffard[2] and Godfrey de Giffard, both became Lord Chancellors of England, and the Giffard family would
    play a major role in the events of his life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Devereux,_Baron_Devereux_of_Lyonshall

This William Devereux born ca 1244 died in 1314 according to the page
    linked above, not at Evesham in 1265.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jmallie@msn.com@21:1/5 to pss...@optusnet.com.au on Thu Sep 9 08:17:53 2021
    On Wednesday, September 8, 2021 at 11:18:21 PM UTC-4, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:
    On 09-Sep-21 11:46 AM, jma...@msn.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 8:36:06 PM UTC-7, jma...@msn.com wrote: >>> I have never had much luck figuring out the Devereux family. I started down this path is trying to understand the interconnections among certain families: Morgan, Vaughan, Devereux, de le Bere, Herbert, Wogan, and Harewell. Looking at Devereux

3B. Stephen Devereux (c 1290 - 1350 ) of Bodenham and Burghope = Cicely. >>> 4. William Devereux (c. 1315 -1377) of Bodenham = Anne, daughter of Sir John Barre.

What Wikipedia entry?

His mother died while he was still a young child, and his father married a second time to Maud de Giffard about 1258.[2][b] Her brothers, Walter de Giffard[2] and Godfrey de Giffard, both became Lord Chancellors of England, and the Giffard family
    would play a major role in the events of his life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Devereux,_Baron_Devereux_of_Lyonshall

Peter Stewart
    I read that to say his father William (1219–1265) died at Evesham and lost the patrimony. The loss of patrimony and the effort to recover it is played out in the law suits of the subsequent generations. Ultimately Sir John Devereux K.G. (- 1393) of
    Whitchurch Maund recovered Lyonshall. Details and spouses aside, I think the line from 3B. Stephen Devereux (c 1290 - 1350) back to William (1219–1265) is likely correct. The line from 9B Walter Devereaux Lord Ferrers of Chartley to 6B Sir Walter
    Devereux of Bodenham seems well founded. Where I am stuck is establishing 6A Ann Devereux as the sister of 6B Sir Walter Devereux and from them to 3B. Stephen Devereux (c 1290 - 1350 ). Best I can see is to prove the descent of Bodenham and call it a
    day.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to jmallie@msn.com on Fri Sep 10 09:32:57 2021
    On 10-Sep-21 1:17 AM, jmallie@msn.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, September 8, 2021 at 11:18:21 PM UTC-4, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:
    On 09-Sep-21 11:46 AM, jma...@msn.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 8:36:06 PM UTC-7, jma...@msn.com wrote: >>>>> I have never had much luck figuring out the Devereux family. I started down this path is trying to understand the interconnections among certain families: Morgan, Vaughan, Devereux, de le Bere, Herbert, Wogan, and Harewell. Looking at Devereux

1. William Devereux (c. 1244–1314) of Lyonshall = Alice Grandison. >>>>> 2. Walter Devereux (c 1266 - 1305) = Margery de Braose.
    3B. Stephen Devereux (c 1290 - 1350 ) of Bodenham and Burghope = Cicely. >>>>> 4. William Devereux (c. 1315 -1377) of Bodenham = Anne, daughter of Sir John Barre.

What Wikipedia entry?

His mother died while he was still a young child, and his father married a second time to Maud de Giffard about 1258.[2][b] Her brothers, Walter de Giffard[2] and Godfrey de Giffard, both became Lord Chancellors of England, and the Giffard family
    would play a major role in the events of his life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Devereux,_Baron_Devereux_of_Lyonshall

Peter Stewart
    I read that to say his father William (1219–1265) died at Evesham and lost the patrimony. The loss of patrimony and the effort to recover it is played out in the law suits of the subsequent generations. Ultimately Sir John Devereux K.G. (- 1393) of
    Whitchurch Maund recovered Lyonshall. Details and spouses aside, I think the line from 3B. Stephen Devereux (c 1290 - 1350) back to William (1219–1265) is likely correct. The line from 9B Walter Devereaux Lord Ferrers of Chartley to 6B Sir Walter
    Devereux of Bodenham seems well founded. Where I am stuck is establishing 6A Ann Devereux as the sister of 6B Sir Walter Devereux and from them to 3B. Stephen Devereux (c 1290 - 1350 ). Best I can see is to prove the descent of Bodenham and call it a
    day.

In your original post (copied above) you wrote: "recently I noticed
    Wikipedia had: William Devereux, d. 1265 at Evesham as the son of a
    daughter of Hugh Bigod, 3rd Earl of Norfolk, and Maud Marshal."

You have since linked a Wikipedia page that says "William Devereux was
    born about 1244, the son of the powerful marcher lord, William Devereux
    the Elder, and a daughter of Hugh Bigod, 3rd Earl of Norfolk, and Maud Marshal". This man reportedly died in 1314.

So either there is another Wikipedia page saying what you originally
    wrote or else this was accidentally misleading and you meant "William
    Devereux, d. 1265 at Evesham as the husband [not son] of a daughter of
    Hugh Bigod".

This William Devereux, who died at Evesham after a series of lawsuits
    over his middling Marcher inheritance, son of a knight in the retinue of William Marshal, was hardly in the socio-economic league of potential
    husbands for daughters of earls. According to Brock Holden: "In 1238 he
    brought an assize of mort d'ancestor against Walter de la Hide for 20s.
    rent in Hide, while in 1241 he used the same action, this time against
    the prior of Wormsley for 10 marks' rent in Holme Lacy. In the 1240s
    William was apparently denying the canons of Wormsley rights of estover
    in his woods at Lyonshall, the family seat. [para] In 1242 William was embroiled in a dispute with Thomas de Fauconburg, canon of Hereford,
    because Thomas claimed William was not upholding the agreement made
    between William's father, Stephen, and Thomas's predecessor over a pond
    and alder grove in Hereford. The following year he was a party in two
    suits, one concerning land and another a mill. In 1244 William had to
    secure a writ /non obstante/ from the king for the restoration of his
    Norfolk manor of Wilby, which had been seized as /terra Normannorum/.
    That same year the prior of the Hospitallers in England brought suit
    against William concerning the unjust detaining of a charter (/de quadam
    carta injuste detenta/), and one wonders if this charter concerned debts."

Your reading of "his uncle" as referring to the 4th earl of Norfolk as
    uncle of the 5th earl rather than of William Devereux makes sense and adequately answers the question you raised in the first place about the tendentious Wikipedia assertion. There is little reason to hope that
    this could be clarified in the original document, as pronouns are no
    more specific in Latin than in English.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05