• Death year of Anthony Browne, son of Anthony Browne 1st Viscount Montag

From Michael Cayley@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 8 05:37:16 2021
    It has been widely said that Anthony Browne (said to be born in 1552), son of Anthony Browne 1st Viscount Montague, died on 19 June 1592 and was buried on 1 August 1592 at Midhurst, Sussex. See for instance

- G E Cokayne, ''Complete Peerage'', revised edition, Vol IX , St Catherine Press, 1936, p 100, viewable at https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/421516-redirection Familysearch

- Douglas Richardson, "Magna Carta Ancestry", 2nd edition, Vol. III, pp. 228-229, NELSON 15

The ODNB entry for Anthony 1st Viscount Montague also gives his son Anthony's death year as 1592.

There are three bits of evidence which appear to point to the death year for Anthony b. 1552 being 1591.

1. On FindMyPast is a transcript by the Sussex Family History Society of his burial record, which gives 1 August 1591 as the burial date: https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBPRS%2FD%2F142170458%2F1: on its own, the year might be a mis-
    transcription, but the other two sources seem to me to give confirmation that it was 1591.

2. A deed of settlement of 20 January 1592 entered into by Anthony Viscount Montague for the intended marriage of his grandson and heir apparent Anthony Browne, son and heir to his late son Anthony Browne, indicating that his son Anthony was dead by then:
    West Sussex Record Office, ref. SAS-BA/65, http://185.121.204.173/searchonline/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=SAS-BA%2f1%2f8%2f65&pos=3. The year is given as 1592 in the catalogue entry - in case anyone wonders, this will not be 1592/3 because we
    know that Anthony Viscount Montague died in October 1592.

3. A postscript dated 21 May 1592 to the 23 February 1591/2 will of Elizabeth Lewknor (spelt Lewkener in the will) which makes minor bequests to "Mrs Browne widdow of Mr Anthone Browne late deceased.......Anthonie Brown her sone". We know from a number
    of sources that there were close associations between this Browne family and the Lewknors. There is a strong likelihood that the postscript refers to Anthony Browne b. 1552, who had recently died, and his son Anthony Maria Browne, who became 2nd Viscount
    Montague.

I would welcome any observations. Apologies - as always with my typing - for any typos I have missed.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Michael Cayley@21:1/5 to Michael Cayley on Wed Dec 8 05:40:09 2021
    I forgot to include the reference for Elizabeth Lewknor's will: the National Archives, PROB 11/80/189, Will of Dame Elizabeth Lewkener, Widow of Trotton, Sussex, https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D928260

On Wednesday, 8 December 2021 at 13:37:18 UTC, Michael Cayley wrote:
    It has been widely said that Anthony Browne (said to be born in 1552), son of Anthony Browne 1st Viscount Montague, died on 19 June 1592 and was buried on 1 August 1592 at Midhurst, Sussex. See for instance

- G E Cokayne, ''Complete Peerage'', revised edition, Vol IX , St Catherine Press, 1936, p 100, viewable at https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/421516-redirection Familysearch

- Douglas Richardson, "Magna Carta Ancestry", 2nd edition, Vol. III, pp. 228-229, NELSON 15

The ODNB entry for Anthony 1st Viscount Montague also gives his son Anthony's death year as 1592.

There are three bits of evidence which appear to point to the death year for Anthony b. 1552 being 1591.

1. On FindMyPast is a transcript by the Sussex Family History Society of his burial record, which gives 1 August 1591 as the burial date: https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBPRS%2FD%2F142170458%2F1: on its own, the year might be a mis-
    transcription, but the other two sources seem to me to give confirmation that it was 1591.

2. A deed of settlement of 20 January 1592 entered into by Anthony Viscount Montague for the intended marriage of his grandson and heir apparent Anthony Browne, son and heir to his late son Anthony Browne, indicating that his son Anthony was dead by
    then: West Sussex Record Office, ref. SAS-BA/65, http://185.121.204.173/searchonline/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=SAS-BA%2f1%2f8%2f65&pos=3. The year is given as 1592 in the catalogue entry - in case anyone wonders, this will not be 1592/3 because
    we know that Anthony Viscount Montague died in October 1592.

3. A postscript dated 21 May 1592 to the 23 February 1591/2 will of Elizabeth Lewknor (spelt Lewkener in the will) which makes minor bequests to "Mrs Browne widdow of Mr Anthone Browne late deceased.......Anthonie Brown her sone". We know from a number
    of sources that there were close associations between this Browne family and the Lewknors. There is a strong likelihood that the postscript refers to Anthony Browne b. 1552, who had recently died, and his son Anthony Maria Browne, who became 2nd Viscount
    Montague.

I would welcome any observations. Apologies - as always with my typing - for any typos I have missed.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Elizabeth A@21:1/5 to michae...@gmail.com on Wed Dec 8 06:29:26 2021
    On Wednesday, December 8, 2021 at 8:37:18 AM UTC-5, michae...@gmail.com wrote:

2. A deed of settlement of 20 January 1592 entered into by Anthony Viscount Montague for the intended marriage of his grandson and heir apparent Anthony Browne, son and heir to his late son Anthony Browne, indicating that his son Anthony was dead by
    then: West Sussex Record Office, ref. SAS-BA/65, http://185.121.204.173/searchonline/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=SAS-BA%2f1%2f8%2f65&pos=3. The year is given as 1592 in the catalogue entry - in case anyone wonders, this will not be 1592/3 because
    we know that Anthony Viscount Montague died in October 1592.

Montague.

Regarding the Brownes and Lewknors, there is indeed some sort of kinship there. In the correspondence of the More-Molyneux and related families preserved as the Loseley Manuscripts, now half at the Surrey History Centre and half at the Folger Shakespeare
    Library (Washington, D.C.), there is a letter from Anthony Browne at River Park to Sir William More in which he makes reference to his "cousin Lewknor of Downeley [Sussex]." See https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/42f93dd8-33a7-4147-b611-
    3f6da011c430.

I imagine "cousin Lewknor of Downeley" may well refer to Richard Lewknor of Downeley (1542-1616), MP for Chichester 1572, 1584, 1586, 1589, 1593, & 1597, who has a biography in the House of Commons series here: https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/
    volume/1558-1603/member/lewknor-richard-1542-1616

I've done quite a bit of research about these manuscripts, and tried to trace quite a few self-described kinships in this correspondence, but that research was some time ago and wasn't well-organized even back then. At any rate, from my notes it doesn't
    look like I'd yet documented this kinship.

It's odd that this particular kinship isn't immediately discernible, as these were prominent, well-documented individuals. The only somewhat less-prominent and less-documented individual seems to be Richard Lewknor's wife, Margaret Atkins (or Atkyns). Or
    the Lewknor referred to could be one of Richard's brothers through one of their wives. The ancestry of the Lewknors has been discussed incessantly in this group with regard to gateway ancestor Rose (Stoughton) Otis. (Martin Hollick has a straightforward
    write-up of that connection here: https://mhollick.typepad.com/slovakyankee/2010/02/the-royal-line-of-rose-stoughton-otis-part-ii.html)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sally Baker@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 8 11:10:16 2021
    The original parish register for Midhurst is available to view on Family Search.
    The burial is is recorded in 1591 "August first the Right Worshipful Sir Anthoney Browne".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Cayley@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 8 12:55:31 2021
    Thanks, Sally. I should have found that Familysearch image of the burial register. So this definitely becomes a minor CP correction, and a minor correction to what is in Douglas Richardson's books.

I have been looking into a different Browne-related issue, which I may soon explain in this group and see what wisdom others have to contribute on it - this death/burial date question surfaced as I was researching.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 8 18:42:25 2021
    I do like how this explains why Anthony the grandfather is dealing with his grandchild's marriage
    I had noted that oddity several years ago but didn't have a good explanation at the time.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Adrian Channing@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 9 07:57:30 2021
    If it is of any use, here are some notes I have of the connection between Browne and Lowknor:

From Sussex Archaeological Collections illustrating the Histories and Antiquities of the county, published by The Sussex Archaceological Society and from HOP:-

Anne Browne, base da. of Sir Anthony Browne (1500-1548) m (aft 1548) Edmund Lewknor s of Richard Lewknor. This RICHARD LEWKNOR (-ipm at Lewes Jan 1545/6) of Trotton and in right of his wife of Selmeston [which he took possession in c1540] m Elizabeth d
    of THOMAS MEFFANT and wdw of Sir ROGER LEWKNOR of Dedisham

These Lewknor’s are rather complicated. In the same family I also have

RICHARD LEWKNOR [HOP (bap 1542-1616) of Downeley, West Dean, Sussex; Educ: M Temple 1560]; Chief Justice for Wales; In 1585 a Comm for taking an Inventory of Bishop Curtis' goods (Strype's Ann, vol iii, pt i p 482) [HOP MP for Chichester various dates
    between 1572 & 1597; an exec to Anthony Browne 1st Vt (c1527-1592) s of Sir Anthony Browne (1500-1548)] [Cath&Com p 58 was a priest] [HOP m1 NN 2s; m2 Margaret d of THOMAS ATKINS of London & wid of THOMAS HUGHS (-1558) physician & STEPHEN of HADNALL of
    Lancelevy, Hants

and
    THOMAS LEWKNOR ([CP IPM of f: <1439]-1484 MI Trotton) Sir; of Trotton; a Lancastrian; In 1483 attainted (reversed 1485) for treason, accused of assembling men-at arms and in Oct 1483 making proclamations at Maidstone, Rochester and Guildford in support
    of Kent and Surrey rebels; In Nov THOMAS HOWARD* Er SURREY, Sir THOMAS LEWNOR of Brambletye with others levied men in Kent and Surrey to besiege Bodiam Castle which the rebels had seized [including Sir GEORGE BROWNE (-1483 beheaded) uncle to Sir Anthony
    Browne (1500-1548)]; Apparently the rebels gave up without much of a struggle; m Katherine d of Sir JOHN PELHAM and wdw of JOHN BRAMSHOT see also ipm

As an aside:
    Besides the legitimate issue, Charles and Anne (full sister) are the only illegitimate issue to appear in the Will of Sir Anthony Browne (1500-1548) The Browne family remained Catholic. I recently came across a couple of references to this Charles in
    letters from Ireland, here is one:

1580 Sept 24 Cork
    Vol 76 No 56. Sir W. Sentleger to Burghley. Without a greater force this rebellion will not be ended. Without due correction it will encourage every Robin Hood to enter into the like. Recommends the bearer Mr. Spring. Charles Brown, the Countess of
    Kildare's base brother, has come with the Italians.
    “Calendar of the State Papers relating to Ireland of the Reigns of Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary and Elizabeth Vol II Edited by Hans Claude Hamilton 1867 Page 254”

Perhaps Charles was at the siege of Smerwick a couple of months later, pity him if he were:
    1580 Nov. [11.]
    Vol LXXVIII No. 27, _____to Walsyngham. Detail of the siege of Smerwick. The Earl and Sir John of Desmond, who had promised to be on the mountains with 4,000 men, to relieve the fort in case of necessity, never showed themselves. Release of Sir James
    Fitzgerald, who had been taken by the Seneschal of Imokilly. Nov. 9 the fort was yielded; all the Irish men and women hanged, and upwards of 400 Italians, Spaniards, Basques, and others put to the sword. Execution of the Englishman who had served Dr.
    Sanders, and two others, whose arms and legs were broken for torture. “Calendar of the State Papers relating to Ireland of the Reigns of Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary and Elizabeth Vol II Edited by Hans Claude Hamilton 1867 Page 267“

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Cayley@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 9 08:50:33 2021
    Thanks for this. It actually answers the main question I have been researching - who was the father of the Anne who married Edmund Lewknor.

The will of Anthony Browne d. 1500-1548 is viewable on Ancestry at https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/915710:5111?tid=&pid=&_phsrc=gPN2&_phstart=successSource. There is a fairly full digest on the West Sussex record ~office website, at
    http://185.121.204.173/searchonline/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=SAS-BA%2f1%2f1%2f19&pos=3.

Besides the will, there are two other sources I am aware of for Edmund Lewknor's wife Anne being a daughter of a Sir Anthony Browne: the Visitations of Sussex, Harleian Society 1905, p. 28, https://archive.org/details/visitationsofcou5354beno/page/n45/
    mode/2up Internet Archive (this does not mention that she was illegitimate); and an earlier 1848 pedigree, William Durant Cooper. ''Pedigree of the Lewknor Family'', in 'Sussex Achaeological Collections', Vol. III, Sussex Archaeological Society, 1848, p.
    100, https://archive.org/details/sussexarchaeolo13socigoog/page/n130/mode/2up?q=lewknor Internet Archive (this says she was base-born). I found these and was trying to establish which Sir Anthony it was who might be Anne's father.

If it is of any use, here are some notes I have of the connection between Browne and Lowknor:

From Sussex Archaeological Collections illustrating the Histories and Antiquities of the county, published by The Sussex Archaceological Society and from HOP:-

Anne Browne, base da. of Sir Anthony Browne (1500-1548) m (aft 1548) Edmund Lewknor s of Richard Lewknor. This RICHARD LEWKNOR (-ipm at Lewes Jan 1545/6) of Trotton and in right of his wife of Selmeston [which he took possession in c1540] m Elizabeth d
    of THOMAS MEFFANT and wdw of Sir ROGER LEWKNOR of Dedisham

These Lewknor’s are rather complicated. In the same family I also have

RICHARD LEWKNOR [HOP (bap 1542-1616) of Downeley, West Dean, Sussex; Educ: M Temple 1560]; Chief Justice for Wales; In 1585 a Comm for taking an Inventory of Bishop Curtis' goods (Strype's Ann, vol iii, pt i p 482) [HOP MP for Chichester various dates
    between 1572 & 1597; an exec to Anthony Browne 1st Vt (c1527-1592) s of Sir Anthony Browne (1500-1548)] [Cath&Com p 58 was a priest] [HOP m1 NN 2s; m2 Margaret d of THOMAS ATKINS of London & wid of THOMAS HUGHS (-1558) physician & STEPHEN of HADNALL of
    Lancelevy, Hants

and
    THOMAS LEWKNOR ([CP IPM of f: <1439]-1484 MI Trotton) Sir; of Trotton; a Lancastrian; In 1483 attainted (reversed 1485) for treason, accused of assembling men-at arms and in Oct 1483 making proclamations at Maidstone, Rochester and Guildford in support
    of Kent and Surrey rebels; In Nov THOMAS HOWARD* Er SURREY, Sir THOMAS LEWNOR of Brambletye with others levied men in Kent and Surrey to besiege Bodiam Castle which the rebels had seized [including Sir GEORGE BROWNE (-1483 beheaded) uncle to Sir Anthony
    Browne (1500-1548)]; Apparently the rebels gave up without much of a struggle; m Katherine d of Sir JOHN PELHAM and wdw of JOHN BRAMSHOT see also ipm

As an aside:
    Besides the legitimate issue, Charles and Anne (full sister) are the only illegitimate issue to appear in the Will of Sir Anthony Browne (1500-1548) The Browne family remained Catholic. I recently came across a couple of references to this Charles in
    letters from Ireland, here is one:

1580 Sept 24 Cork
    Vol 76 No 56. Sir W. Sentleger to Burghley. Without a greater force this rebellion will not be ended. Without due correction it will encourage every Robin Hood to enter into the like. Recommends the bearer Mr. Spring. Charles Brown, the Countess of
    Kildare's base brother, has come with the Italians.
    “Calendar of the State Papers relating to Ireland of the Reigns of Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary and Elizabeth Vol II Edited by Hans Claude Hamilton 1867 Page 254”

Perhaps Charles was at the siege of Smerwick a couple of months later, pity him if he were:
    1580 Nov. [11.]
    Vol LXXVIII No. 27, _____to Walsyngham. Detail of the siege of Smerwick. The Earl and Sir John of Desmond, who had promised to be on the mountains with 4,000 men, to relieve the fort in case of necessity, never showed themselves. Release of Sir James
    Fitzgerald, who had been taken by the Seneschal of Imokilly. Nov. 9 the fort was yielded; all the Irish men and women hanged, and upwards of 400 Italians, Spaniards, Basques, and others put to the sword. Execution of the Englishman who had served Dr.
    Sanders, and two others, whose arms and legs were broken for torture.
    “Calendar of the State Papers relating to Ireland of the Reigns of Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary and Elizabeth Vol II Edited by Hans Claude Hamilton 1867 Page 267“

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Adrian Channing@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 9 12:26:57 2021
    Poor Anthony Browne, if he was buried on 1 Aug 1591, then he would have missed the merriment of the Queen’s visit to Cowdray 15 to 21 Aug 1591

The deed of 20 Jan 1591/2 is as follows:
    Between ANTHONY BROWNE, K.G., VISCOUNT MONNTAGUE and Sir THOMAS SACKVILLE, K.G., LORD BUCKHURST, P.C. Whereby, after reciting the previous Settlements of 6 Nov. 4 Eliz: [ac 1562] (No. SAS-BA/27), 31 March and 1 April, 26 Eliz: [ac: 1584] (Nos SAS-BA/51 &
    SAS-BA/54), the said Viscount - in consideration of an intended marriage between Anthony Browne, esq., grandchild and heir apparent to the said Viscount and son and heir to Anthony Browne, esq., sed. late son and heir apparent to the said Viscount, and
    Jane Sackville one of the daughters of the said Lord Buckhurst and of £3000 agreed to be given by Lord Buckhurst in preferment with the said Jane - the said Viscount Montague varied the trusts in the former Settlements and declared new trusts in favour
    of the said Anthony Browne and Jane Sackville. (PRO; West Sussex Record Office: Montague family)

We see from C.P. that the marriage between Anthony Browne the grandson and Jane Sackville took place a few days later, on 3 Feb 1291 (assuming old system, i.e 1292)

This must have been quite a trial for the old Sir Anthony Browne (1st Viscount) for on 27 Jan 1592 (presumably the new system)

Reference: LM/1856
    Account of the speech of Anthony Browne, Viscount Montague, 27 Jan 1592, to his friends at West Horsley, including George More, before leaving for Cowdray House, he being ill and anticipating death. He asserts his constant loyalty to the Queen despite
    being a Roman Catholic and claims never to have forced his servants to follow his religion but allowed them to follow their own consciences. Manuscript; Creation dates: 1592. (PRO; A2A; Surrey History Centre_ The Loseley Manuscripts_ Records of the More
    and More Molyneux Family of Loseley Park [LM_Section B-F].)

In view of the last sentence, it should be noted that about this time Guy Faulks later of the 1605 gun powder plus, was working in the Montague (Browne) household.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05