• Wife or Wives of Sir Thomas Wode, d. 1502, Chief Justice of the Com

From Johnny Brananas@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 1 10:54:14 2021
    [I wrote:] "2 is something like a chief within which is a lion, with five stripes of alternating colors beneath (2 colors total in the stripes). 4 is something like a fess in one color, with three birds above and below in a field of another color. "

The solution to this side of the shield appears to be the arms of Englefield and Russall. See the drawing in the Visitations of Berkshire, sub Englefield:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Four_Visitations_of_Berkshire_Made_a/NcFCAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22my+brother+anthony+englefyld%22&pg=PA121&printsec=frontcover

Also, note that the pedigree chart, next page, shows a "Joane [Englefield] ux: Hen: Leynham Esqr dyed sans yssue."

Wonder what that means in terms of the genealogy?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Johnny Brananas@21:1/5 to Johnny Brananas on Wed Oct 27 13:02:14 2021
    On Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 1:54:16 PM UTC-4, Johnny Brananas wrote:
    [I wrote:] "2 is something like a chief within which is a lion, with five stripes of alternating colors beneath (2 colors total in the stripes). 4 is something like a fess in one color, with three birds above and below in a field of another color. "

The solution to this side of the shield appears to be the arms of Englefield and Russall. See the drawing in the Visitations of Berkshire, sub Englefield:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Four_Visitations_of_Berkshire_Made_a/NcFCAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22my+brother+anthony+englefyld%22&pg=PA121&printsec=frontcover

Also, note that the pedigree chart, next page, shows a "Joane [Englefield] ux: Hen: Leynham Esqr dyed sans yssue."

It appears likely that the first wife of Sir Thomas Wode (d. 1502) predeceased him by a considerable period of time, but was buried with a monumental inscription that has survived. C. H. Josten, ed., _Elias Ashmole (1617-1692): His Autobiographical and
    Historical Notes, his Correspondence, and Other Contemporary Sources Relating to his Life and Work_, 5 vols. (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1966), 3:1039, lists some of the inscriptions copied by the antiquary Ashmole at Stratfieldsay, Hampshire. Among those
    on the fair copy is one for "Thomas Dabryggecourte (d. 8 Oct. 1485) and his wife Alice, a daughter of Sir Thomas Delamere."

In the footnotes of the same page are other M.I.s found only in the rough copy (MS. Rawl. D. 865, ff. 247-8). One of these is for "Elizabeth (d. 17 Jan. 1478), wife of Thomas Wode."

I submit this Elizabeth (elsewhere called Isabel) was sister to Alice, wife of Dabridgecourt (and later Elyot), and was buried with her brother-in-law and sister at Stratfieldsay. Compare Benolt's Hampshire Visitation, where the wife of Thomas Wode and
    wife of Dabridgecourt/Elyot were shown as sisters (Delamares):

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=njp.32101072878133&view=1up&seq=56&skin=2021&q1=sanchett

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From joseph cook@21:1/5 to ravinma...@yahoo.com on Sun Nov 7 18:59:13 2021
    On Wednesday, October 27, 2021 at 4:02:16 PM UTC-4, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:

It appears likely that the first wife of Sir Thomas Wode (d. 1502) predeceased him by a considerable period of time, but was buried with a monumental inscription that has survived. C. H. Josten, ed., _Elias Ashmole (1617-1692): His Autobiographical and
    Historical Notes, his Correspondence, and Other Contemporary Sources Relating to his Life and Work_, 5 vols. (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1966), 3:1039, lists some of the inscriptions copied by the antiquary Ashmole at Stratfieldsay, Hampshire. Among those
    on the fair copy is one for "Thomas Dabryggecourte (d. 8 Oct. 1485) and his wife Alice, a daughter of Sir Thomas Delamere."

In the footnotes of the same page are other M.I.s found only in the rough copy (MS. Rawl. D. 865, ff. 247-8). One of these is for "Elizabeth (d. 17 Jan. 1478), wife of Thomas Wode."

I submit this Elizabeth (elsewhere called Isabel) was sister to Alice, wife of Dabridgecourt (and later Elyot), and was buried with her brother-in-law and sister at Stratfieldsay. Compare Benolt's Hampshire Visitation, where the wife of Thomas Wode and
    wife of Dabridgecourt/Elyot were shown as sisters (Delamares):

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=njp.32101072878133&view=1up&seq=56&skin=2021&q1=sanchett

If Margaret, widow of Robert Leynham is to be excluded as the mother of Anne ux Thos Stewkley on chronological grounds; then I have to agree with you that the Visitations are telling us that Anne was a child most likely of Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas
    Delamare; ....is there any reason to believe Margaret was a Delamere at all?

As for the shield in Tidmarsh, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/berks/vol3/pp433-437 gives " in the top sinister corner is a shield charged with the arms of (1) Lenham quartering (2) Englefield, (3) a bend lozengy and a chief, (4) a fesse between
    six martlets for Russell. In the bottom dexter shield the arms are quartered, 1 and 4 as (2) above, and 2 and 3 as (4) above. In the slab to the north (which is also of Purbeck marble) is the brass of a lady in late 15th-century costume. Below is an
    inscription to Margaret wife of Thomas Wode, a justice of Common Pleas, and formerly wife of Robert Lenham, lord of the manor of Tidmarsh. She died 5 December 1499."

--Joe Cook

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Johnny Brananas@21:1/5 to joe...@gmail.com on Mon Nov 8 06:48:14 2021
    On Sunday, November 7, 2021 at 9:59:14 PM UTC-5, joe...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, October 27, 2021 at 4:02:16 PM UTC-4, ravinma...@yahoo.com wrote:

It appears likely that the first wife of Sir Thomas Wode (d. 1502) predeceased him by a considerable period of time, but was buried with a monumental inscription that has survived. C. H. Josten, ed., _Elias Ashmole (1617-1692): His Autobiographical
    and Historical Notes, his Correspondence, and Other Contemporary Sources Relating to his Life and Work_, 5 vols. (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1966), 3:1039, lists some of the inscriptions copied by the antiquary Ashmole at Stratfieldsay, Hampshire. Among
    those on the fair copy is one for "Thomas Dabryggecourte (d. 8 Oct. 1485) and his wife Alice, a daughter of Sir Thomas Delamere."

I submit this Elizabeth (elsewhere called Isabel) was sister to Alice, wife of Dabridgecourt (and later Elyot), and was buried with her brother-in-law and sister at Stratfieldsay. Compare Benolt's Hampshire Visitation, where the wife of Thomas Wode
    and wife of Dabridgecourt/Elyot were shown as sisters (Delamares):

If Margaret, widow of Robert Leynham is to be excluded as the mother of Anne ux Thos Stewkley on chronological grounds; then I have to agree with you that the Visitations are telling us that Anne was a child most likely of Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas
    Delamare; ....is there any reason to believe Margaret was a Delamere at all?

As for the shield in Tidmarsh, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/berks/vol3/pp433-437 gives " in the top sinister corner is a shield charged with the arms of (1) Lenham quartering (2) Englefield, (3) a bend lozengy and a chief, (4) a fesse between
    six martlets for Russell. In the bottom dexter shield the arms are quartered, 1 and 4 as (2) above, and 2 and 3 as (4) above. In the slab to the north (which is also of Purbeck marble) is the brass of a lady in late 15th-century costume. Below is an
    inscription to Margaret wife of Thomas Wode, a justice of Common Pleas, and formerly wife of Robert Lenham, lord of the manor of Tidmarsh. She died 5 December 1499."

--Joe Cook

Seemingly not, from what the coat of arms tells us. Unless she wasn't an heraldic heiress at all.

I wonder if there isn't some problem with the identification of the brass (was there ever a repair to it?). The Englefield pedigree in the Berkshire Visitations shows Margaret's son Henry Leynham/ Lenham was married to Joane Englefield, daughter of SIr
    Thomas Englefield.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Four_Visitations_of_Berkshire_Made_a/NcFCAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22joane+vx:%22+leynham&pg=PA122&printsec=frontcover

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05