• Arnulfing to Dagsburg?

From mike davis@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 30 10:14:27 2021
    1. Arnulfing Descent

Having discussed the possible etichonid descent of Bruno of Toul, that
    is Bruno of Eguisheim later Pope Leo IX, which he doesnt himself claim I thought I would look at the descent he does claim. According to french wiki there is a papal bull of Leo iX, where he claims to be a descendant of Arnulf via Drogo of Champagne [
    d708] and names all 4 of his sons. Again the ref for this Settipani's capetian book, p162, but as Fraser has pointed out these refs can be misleading and I wouldnt want to attribute something to mr settipani which is actually an internet fantasy. I
    havnt seen this book or the bull but AIUI, 3 brothers Pepin, Godfrid and Arnulf conspired [723] with the Neustrians to rebel against their uncle Charles Martel, this failed and 2 were
    imprisoned and one died. I believe Settipani has constructed a line of descent from Godfrid, but it seems unlikely to me that Charles Martel, a man not known for being merciful to opponents, would have allowed children of his half brother free again to
    have descendants who might again threaten his own family, although some historians believe he did spare his other nephew Theodebald, Plectrudes grandson.

I dont know if its settipani or someone else who bases this on a much later XIe legend of Godfrid of Flandelum and his wife Pomponia found in another text called the genealogy of St.Aredius. Not having seen Settipanis book only what french websites show
    in lines of descent, it seems Godfrid's sons establish a new family line in Aquitaine first at Bourges in the 8th and later also in Cahors in the 9th. In this version Godfrid had 2 sons Chunibert of Bourges 761-78 and Ct Drogo 753-62. I think this might
    be in his later
    work on Nevers 2000 or la midi noblesse 2004. This Chunibert is seen as the same man as Humbert appointed count of Bourges 778 by Charlemagne but without any mention of kinship, and although there was a Drogo 753-62 under Pippin III, I dont know if there
    is any mention of kinship. He is not the same as the Drogo son of Pippin IIIs brother Carloman, who succeeded his father for a while in Austrasia and resisted Pippin 751/3 until he was
    captured and tonsured.

There may be an alternative view to this descent as on some french sites this line runs through male line of Humbert, on others it runs through a grandaughter of Drogo called Aiga to the counts of Cahors. However I'm unclear how this all connects to
    Bruno of Eguisheim or Hugo of Chaumontois.

2. Dagsburg Origin

My 2nd query concerns Bruno's maternal ancestors. AFAIK nothing is known about his mother Heilwig of Dasburg from medieval sources, except she was a latin [romance speaker] but could also speak teuton the language of her husband Hugo of Eguisheim who
    inherited Dagsburg through her. However in the 17th century, a historian at Moyenmoutier Jean de Bayon said he had found an entry in its archives which named Louis count of Dasburg _avus_ of St.Bruno who he perceived to be Heilwigs father. He went on to
    exult the virtues of Bruno's mother Heilwig, who he said retired to Moyenmoutier and lived there for the last 30 years of her life. In the 18th another historian Schoepflin says he also found a reference to a Louis Otto of Dasburg _avus_ of Pope Leo who
    in 966 founded the priory of St.Quirinus in the Vosges. This evidence was rejected by both Hlawitschka and Legl, but Charles Munier in his article _À propos du millénaire de la naissance du pape Léon IX (1002-1054)_ uses it as the starting point of
    his research into Brunos maternal descent.

Munier identifies this Louis of Dasburg with a story about a Louis 'Count of the alemans' he found in the chronicle of St.Pierre le Vif de Sens 1016/25, who as he was returning from a pilgrimage to Mont st.Michel, fell ill and died at Sens, and gave [V]
    ariscourt to the monks. He says this is the same man, because Jean de Bayon also called him Louis comte aleman! I havnt seen this source so I dont know what to make of this, but there do seem a few other obscure Count Louis floating around at this time
    such as Louis I of Chiny, Louis de Mousson. He goes to to attach Louis of Dasburg to the family of Rainald/Ragenold or Renaud de Roucy, whose origins are a problem in itself and suggest this family was favoured by Bruno of Koln and the Ottonians as they
    were descended from Gerberga sister of Otto the Great and her husband Giselbert of Lorraine/Lotharingia through their daughter Alberada. He names the siblings of Louis of Dagsberg as Giselbert de Roucy, Renaud who became count of Hainault when Bruno of
    Koln divided Lotharingia c959 and was killed at peronne 973, Bruno bishop of Langres, Otto father of Louis of Chiny, Hedwig who married Sigfrid of Luxemburg and Gerberga the wife of Fromond of Sens, 5 of whom he notes took their names from their maternal
    relatives.

There are obviously problems with this not least that Bruno of Langres says in 991 at Verzy synod that he had only one brother, so Louis of Dagsburg would have had to have died by then. Also AIUI the original Renaud de Roucy whoever he was, in fact was a
    strong ally of Louis IV of France in the 940s, so the family must have changed sides abruptly when the king suddenly died leaving a boy of 13. The original Renaud de Roucy is usually marked as dying in 967, but Munier quotes St.Pierre le Vif again to the
    contrary to suggest there were 2 separate Renauds. This chronicle says a famine occured which Munier says is the one mentioned in 942 by Flodard, and the Sens account
    says 3 yrs after this the city was surrendered to Renaud count of Reims [945] but Fromond attacked and broke into the castel of st colombe and Renaud was killed in the rout 27 august.

AIUI Renaud was not really count of Reims but later built a castle at Roucy nearby sometime later, and this account or Muniers interpretation is different to what I see elsewhere, so I wonder if he has made a mistake with the date of this event or if
    its a different Renaud.

Sorry for this long post, but as they are connected I thought it better
    to post these two queries together.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From mike davis@21:1/5 to mike davis on Tue Nov 30 10:16:41 2021
    On Tuesday, November 30, 2021 at 6:14:29 PM UTC, mike davis wrote:
    1. Arnulfing Descent

sorry for the spacing and long lines, either my editor had a glitch
    or posting to sgm mangeled it!

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to mike davis on Wed Dec 1 08:05:38 2021
    On 01-Dec-21 5:14 AM, mike davis wrote:
    1. Arnulfing Descent

is Bruno of Eguisheim later Pope Leo IX, which he doesnt himself claim I thought I would look at the descent he does claim.

The rest of your post will keep for late, but on this point I don't
    think anything can be safely concluded from a pope not boasting of
    descent from either Adalric/Eticho of Alsace or Eberhard of Lure. The
    former was a cruel bully who had wanted to kill his saintly daughter
    because she dishonoured him by being born blind, and the latter was a
    menace to the church in his hereditary stomping ground. I doubt that Leo
    would have wanted attention drawn to such unbefitting forefathers.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to mike davis on Wed Dec 1 12:25:43 2021
    1. Arnulfing Descent

is Bruno of Eguisheim later Pope Leo IX, which he doesnt himself claim I thought I would look at the descent he does claim. According to french wiki there is a papal bull of Leo iX, where he claims to be a descendant of Arnulf via Drogo of Champagne [
    d708] and names all 4 of his sons. Again the ref for this Settipani's capetian book, p162, but as Fraser has pointed out these refs can be misleading and I wouldnt want to attribute something to mr settipani which is actually an internet fantasy.

I haven't had time to look further yet, but unfortunately this is indeed
    in Christian Settipani's book as cited - and it is worthless. I hope he
    will have thought better about it before he publishes the next volume of
    /La préhistoire des Capétiens/.

There is no such bull of Leo IX - the text is a 12th-century forgery
    inserted in the later 'Historia sancti Arnulfi Mettenis'. In this case
    the purported papal bull was probably forged in Trier ca 1120 and may
    represent a preliminary stage in an attempt to assert rights to dubious possessions of Saint-Arnoul abbey by connecting these with the former
    pope. The author evidently knew of Leo IX's relationship with the
    Etichonids and he used both genuine and forged Carolingian royal
    documents in his fabrication, intending to prove that the abbey was a
    royal foundation and that the bishop of Metz had no rights to its property.

Any genealogical speculation based on this is a waste of effort.
    Compounding the problem, Settipani also referred credulously to the
    earlier Saint-Arnoul forgeries speciously linking Hugo of Chaumontois to
    the Arnulfians as part of his evidence for conjecturing a line descended
    from Drogo of Champagne.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to mike davis on Wed Dec 1 13:46:50 2021
    1. Arnulfing Descent

<snip>

I dont know if its settipani or someone else who bases this on a much later XIe legend of Godfrid of Flandelum and his wife Pomponia found in another text called the genealogy of St.Aredius. Not having seen Settipanis book only what french websites
    show in lines of descent, it seems Godfrid's sons establish a new family line in Aquitaine first at Bourges in the 8th and later also in Cahors in the 9th. In this version Godfrid had 2 sons Chunibert of Bourges 761-78 and Ct Drogo 753-62. I think this
    might be in his later
    work on Nevers 2000 or la midi noblesse 2004.

In /Nobless du Midi carolingien/ on p. 225 Settipani gave a table (with
    more dotted and broken lines than I have the puff to read through his
    arguments for) showing Pomponia and Godfrid as putative parents of count Chunibert of Bourges, and the latter with a sister of bishop Aredius as
    parents of bishop Ebroin and Adaltrude, wife of Gauzlin and ancestress
    by him of the Rorgonid counts of Le Mans and consequently of many SGM participants.

Perhaps someone with more taste than I have for heavily-spiced tripe can
    digest this stew of "possibilities". The genealogy of Aredius, a point
    of departure for the prolix speculation, was compiled ca 850 and can be
    found here:
    https://www.dmgh.de/mgh_ss_rer_merov_3/index.htm#page/611/mode/1up.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Wed Dec 1 18:23:02 2021
    On 01-Dec-21 6:18 PM, Peter Stewart wrote:
    The epitaph of
    Louis who died in Sens described him as "regali de stirpe", of the royal bloodline, i.e. as a grandson of king Louis IV rather than of his wife, Bruno's grandmother Gerberga

This is not clear, as Gerberga was grandmother of Louis as well - I
    meant: "i.e. as a grandson of king Louis IV rather than of his wife,
    Bruno's grandmother Gerberga, by her prior marriage to Gislebert of
    Lorraine.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 1 18:18:08 2021
    T24gMDEtRGVjLTIxIDU6MTQgQU0sIG1pa2UgZGF2aXMgd3JvdGU6DQoNCjxzbmlwPg0KDQo+ IDIuIERhZ3NidXJnIE9yaWdpbg0KPiANCj4gTXkgMm5kIHF1ZXJ5IGNvbmNlcm5zIEJydW5v J3MgbWF0ZXJuYWwgYW5jZXN0b3JzLiBBRkFJSyBub3RoaW5nIGlzIGtub3duIGFib3V0IGhp cyBtb3RoZXIgSGVpbHdpZyBvZiBEYXNidXJnIGZyb20gbWVkaWV2YWwgc291cmNlcywgZXhj ZXB0IHNoZSB3YXMgYSBsYXRpbiBbcm9tYW5jZSBzcGVha2VyXSBidXQgY291bGQgYWxzbyBz cGVhayB0ZXV0b24gdGhlIGxhbmd1YWdlIG9mIGhlciBodXNiYW5kIEh1Z28gb2YgRWd1aXNo ZWltIHdobyBpbmhlcml0ZWQgRGFnc2J1cmcgdGhyb3VnaCBoZXIuIEhvd2V2ZXIgaW4gdGhl IDE3dGggY2VudHVyeSwgYSBoaXN0b3JpYW4gYXQgTW95ZW5tb3V0aWVyIEplYW4gZGUgQmF5 b24gc2FpZCBoZSBoYWQgZm91bmQgYW4gZW50cnkgaW4gaXRzIGFyY2hpdmVzIHdoaWNoIG5h bWVkIExvdWlzIGNvdW50IG9mIERhc2J1cmcgX2F2dXNfIG9mIFN0LkJydW5vIHdobyBoZSBw ZXJjZWl2ZWQgdG8gYmUgSGVpbHdpZ3MgZmF0aGVyLiBIZSB3ZW50IG9uIHRvIGV4dWx0IHRo ZSB2aXJ0dWVzIG9mIEJydW5vJ3MgbW90aGVyIEhlaWx3aWcsIHdobyBoZSBzYWlkIHJldGly ZWQgdG8gTW95ZW5tb3V0aWVyIGFuZCBsaXZlZCB0aGVyZSBmb3IgdGhlIGxhc3QgMzAgeWVh cnMgb2YgaGVyIGxpZmUuIEluIHRoZSAxOHRoIGFub3RoZXIgaGlzdG9yaWFuIFNjaG9lcGZs aW4gc2F5cyBoZSBhbHNvIGZvdW5kIGEgcmVmZXJlbmNlIHRvIGEgTG91aXMgT3R0byBvZiBE YXNidXJnIF9hdnVzXyBvZiBQb3BlIExlbyB3aG8gaW4gOTY2IGZvdW5kZWQgdGhlIHByaW9y eSBvZiBTdC5RdWlyaW51cyBpbiB0aGUgVm9zZ2VzLiBUaGlzIGV2aWRlbmNlIHdhcyByZWpl Y3RlZCBieSBib3RoIEhsYXdpdHNjaGthIGFuZCBMZWdsLCBidXQgQ2hhcmxlcyBNdW5pZXIg aW4gaGlzIGFydGljbGUgX8OAIHByb3BvcyBkdSBtaWxsw6luYWlyZSBkZSBsYSBuYWlzc2Fu Y2UgZHUgcGFwZSBMw6lvbiBJWCAoMTAwMi0xMDU0KV8gdXNlcyBpdCBhcyB0aGUgc3RhcnRp bmcgcG9pbnQgb2YgaGlzIHJlc2VhcmNoIGludG8gQnJ1bm9zIG1hdGVybmFsIGRlc2NlbnQu DQo+IA0KPiBNdW5pZXIgaWRlbnRpZmllcyB0aGlzIExvdWlzIG9mIERhc2J1cmcgd2l0aCBh IHN0b3J5IGFib3V0IGEgTG91aXMgJ0NvdW50IG9mIHRoZSBhbGVtYW5zJyBoZSBmb3VuZCBp biB0aGUgY2hyb25pY2xlIG9mIFN0LlBpZXJyZSBsZSBWaWYgZGUgU2VucyAxMDE2LzI1LCB3 aG8gYXMgaGUgd2FzIHJldHVybmluZyBmcm9tIGEgcGlsZ3JpbWFnZSB0byBNb250IHN0Lk1p Y2hlbCwgZmVsbCBpbGwgYW5kIGRpZWQgYXQgU2VucywgYW5kIGdhdmUgW1ZdYXJpc2NvdXJ0 IHRvIHRoZSBtb25rcy4gSGUgc2F5cyB0aGlzIGlzIHRoZSBzYW1lIG1hbiwgYmVjYXVzZSBK ZWFuIGRlIEJheW9uIGFsc28gY2FsbGVkIGhpbSBMb3VpcyBjb210ZSBhbGVtYW4hIEkgaGF2 bnQgc2VlbiB0aGlzIHNvdXJjZSBzbyBJIGRvbnQga25vdyB3aGF0IHRvIG1ha2Ugb2YgdGhp cywgYnV0IHRoZXJlIGRvIHNlZW0gYSBmZXcgb3RoZXIgb2JzY3VyZSBDb3VudCBMb3VpcyBm bG9hdGluZyBhcm91bmQgYXQgdGhpcyB0aW1lIHN1Y2ggYXMgTG91aXMgSSBvZiBDaGlueSwg TG91aXMgZGUgTW91c3Nvbi4gSGUgZ29lcyB0byB0byBhdHRhY2ggTG91aXMgb2YgRGFzYnVy ZyB0byB0aGUgZmFtaWx5IG9mIFJhaW5hbGQvUmFnZW5vbGQgb3IgUmVuYXVkIGRlIFJvdWN5 LCB3aG9zZSBvcmlnaW5zIGFyZSBhIHByb2JsZW0gaW4gaXRzZWxmIGFuZCBzdWdnZXN0IHRo aXMgZmFtaWx5IHdhcyBmYXZvdXJlZCBieSBCcnVubyBvZiBLb2xuIGFuZCB0aGUgT3R0b25p YW5zIGFzIHRoZXkgd2VyZSBkZXNjZW5kZWQgZnJvbSBHZXJiZXJnYSBzaXN0ZXIgb2YgT3R0 byB0aGUgR3JlYXQgYW5kIGhlciBodXNiYW5kIEdpc2VsYmVydCBvZiBMb3JyYWluZS9Mb3Ro YXJpbmdpYSB0aHJvdWdoIHRoZWlyIGRhdWdodGVyIEFsYmVyYWRhLiBIZSBuYW1lcyB0aGUg c2libGluZ3Mgb2YgTG91aXMgb2YgRGFnc2JlcmcgYXMgR2lzZWxiZXJ0IGRlIFJvdWN5LCBS ZW5hdWQgd2hvIGJlY2FtZSBjb3VudCBvZiBIYWluYXVsdCB3aGVuIEJydW5vIG9mIEtvbG4g ZGl2aWRlZCBMb3RoYXJpbmdpYSBjOTU5IGFuZCB3YXMga2lsbGVkIGF0IHBlcm9ubmUgOTcz LCBCcnVubyBiaXNob3Agb2YgTGFuZ3JlcywgT3R0byBmYXRoZXIgb2YgTG91aXMgb2YgQ2hp bnksIEhlZHdpZyB3aG8gbWFycmllZCBTaWdmcmlkIG9mIEx1eGVtYnVyZyBhbmQgR2VyYmVy Z2EgdGhlIHdpZmUgb2YgRnJvbW9uZCBvZiBTZW5zLCA1IG9mIHdob20gaGUgbm90ZXMgdG9v ayB0aGVpciBuYW1lcyBmcm9tIHRoZWlyIG1hdGVybmFsIHJlbGF0aXZlcy4NCj4gDQo+IFRo ZXJlIGFyZSBvYnZpb3VzbHkgcHJvYmxlbXMgd2l0aCB0aGlzIG5vdCBsZWFzdCB0aGF0IEJy dW5vIG9mIExhbmdyZXMgc2F5cyBpbiA5OTEgYXQgVmVyenkgc3lub2QgdGhhdCBoZSBoYWQg b25seSBvbmUgYnJvdGhlciwgc28gTG91aXMgb2YgRGFnc2J1cmcgd291bGQgaGF2ZSBoYWQg dG8gaGF2ZSBkaWVkIGJ5IHRoZW4uIEFsc28gQUlVSSB0aGUgb3JpZ2luYWwgUmVuYXVkIGRl IFJvdWN5IHdob2V2ZXIgaGUgd2FzLCBpbiBmYWN0IHdhcyBhIHN0cm9uZyBhbGx5IG9mIExv dWlzIElWIG9mIEZyYW5jZSBpbiB0aGUgOTQwcywgc28gdGhlIGZhbWlseSBtdXN0IGhhdmUg Y2hhbmdlZCBzaWRlcyBhYnJ1cHRseSB3aGVuIHRoZSBraW5nIHN1ZGRlbmx5IGRpZWQgbGVh dmluZyBhIGJveSBvZiAxMy4gVGhlIG9yaWdpbmFsIFJlbmF1ZCBkZSBSb3VjeSBpcyB1c3Vh bGx5IG1hcmtlZCBhcyBkeWluZyBpbiA5NjcsIGJ1dCBNdW5pZXIgcXVvdGVzIFN0LlBpZXJy ZSBsZSBWaWYgYWdhaW4gdG8gdGhlIGNvbnRyYXJ5IHRvIHN1Z2dlc3QgdGhlcmUgd2VyZSAy IHNlcGFyYXRlIFJlbmF1ZHMuIFRoaXMgY2hyb25pY2xlIHNheXMgYSBmYW1pbmUgb2NjdXJl ZCB3aGljaCBNdW5pZXIgc2F5cyBpcyB0aGUgb25lIG1lbnRpb25lZCBpbiA5NDIgYnkgRmxv ZGFyZCwgYW5kIHRoZSBTZW5zIGFjY291bnQNCj4gc2F5cyAzIHlycyBhZnRlciB0aGlzIHRo ZSBjaXR5IHdhcyBzdXJyZW5kZXJlZCB0byBSZW5hdWQgY291bnQgb2YgUmVpbXMgWzk0NV0g YnV0IEZyb21vbmQgYXR0YWNrZWQgYW5kIGJyb2tlIGludG8gdGhlIGNhc3RlbCBvZiBzdCBj b2xvbWJlIGFuZCBSZW5hdWQgd2FzIGtpbGxlZCBpbiB0aGUgcm91dCAyNyBhdWd1c3QuDQo+ IA0KPiBBSVVJIFJlbmF1ZCB3YXMgbm90IHJlYWxseSBjb3VudCBvZiBSZWltcyBidXQgbGF0 ZXIgYnVpbHQgYSBjYXN0bGUgYXQgUm91Y3kgbmVhcmJ5IHNvbWV0aW1lIGxhdGVyLCAgYW5k IHRoaXMgYWNjb3VudCBvciBNdW5pZXJzIGludGVycHJldGF0aW9uIGlzIGRpZmZlcmVudCB0 byB3aGF0IEkgc2VlIGVsc2V3aGVyZSwgc28gSSB3b25kZXIgaWYgaGUgaGFzIG1hZGUgYSBt aXN0YWtlIHdpdGggdGhlIGRhdGUgb2YgdGhpcyBldmVudCBvciBpZiBpdHMgYSBkaWZmZXJl bnQgUmVuYXVkLg0KDQpSZW5hdWQgKG9yIFJhZ2Vub2xkdXMpIHdhcyByZXBlYXRlZGx5IGNh bGxlZCBjb3VudCBieSBGbG9kb2FyZCBhbmQgaGUgDQp3YXMgZXhjb21tdW5pY2F0ZWQgYnkg YW4gYXJjaGJpc2hvcCBvZiBSZWltcyBmb3IgaGFuZ2luZyBvbiB0byBwcm9wZXJ0eSANCmJl bG9uZ2luZyB0byB0aGUgY2F0aGVkcmFsLCBzbyBoaXMgcG93ZXIgZXZpZGVudGx5IGNvdmVy ZWQgdGhhdCBhcmVhIGFuZCANCnNvbWUgaGlzdG9yaWFucyBjb25jbHVkZSB0aGF0IGhlIHdh cyBjb3VudCBvZiBSZWltcy4NCg0KQXMgZm9yIHRoZSBMb3VpcyAiY29tZXMgQWxlbWFubm9y dW0iIHdobyBkaWVkIGFzIGEgbW9uayBhdCANClNhaW50LVBpZXJyZS1sZS1WaWYgaW4gU2Vu cywgcHJvYmFibHkgY2EgMTAyMywgaGUgd2FzIG5vdCBhIGJyb3RoZXIgYnV0IA0KYSBmaXJz dCBjb3VzaW4gb2YgYmlzaG9wIEJydW5vIG9mIExhbmdyZXMsIGEgc29uIG9mIHRoZSBsYXR0 ZXIncyANCm1hdGVybmFsIHVuY2xlIENoYXJsZXMgb2YgTGFvbiwgZHVrZSBvZiBsb3dlciBM b3JyYWluZS4gVGhlIG5vdGlvbiB0aGF0IA0KTG91aXMgb2YgRGFnc2JvdXJnIHdhcyB0aGlz IG1hbiwgYSBDYXJvbGluZ2lhbiwgaXMgZmFyLWZldGNoZWQgdG8gc2F5IA0KdGhlIGxlYXN0 LiBNdW5pZXIgcmV0dXJuZWQgdG8gdGhpcyBob2JieS1ob3JzZSBzdWJqZWN0IHNldmVuIHll YXJzIGFmdGVyIA0KdGhlIGFydGljbGUgeW91IG1lbnRpb24sIGluICdBIHByb3BvcyBkZSBM b3VpcyBkZSBEYWJvLCBjb21lcyANCkFsZW1hbm9ydW0sIGFpZXVsIGR1IFBhcGUgTMOpb24g SVgnLCAvUmV2dWUgZGUgZHJvaXQgY2Fub25pcXVlLyA1NyAoMjAwOSkgDQotIGJ1dCB0aGUg Y2FzZSBkaWRuJ3QgZ2V0IGFueSBzdHJvbmdlciBpbiB0aGUgaW50ZXJ2YWwuIFRoZSBlcGl0 YXBoIG9mIA0KTG91aXMgd2hvIGRpZWQgaW4gU2VucyBkZXNjcmliZWQgaGltIGFzICJyZWdh bGkgZGUgc3RpcnBlIiwgb2YgdGhlIHJveWFsIA0KYmxvb2RsaW5lLCBpLmUuIGFzIGEgZ3Jh bmRzb24gb2Yga2luZyBMb3VpcyBJViByYXRoZXIgdGhhbiBvZiBoaXMgd2lmZSwgDQpCcnVu bydzIGdyYW5kbW90aGVyIEdlcmJlcmdhOiB0aGlzIGlzIG5vdCBhIGRlc2NyaXB0aW9uIHRo YXQgd291bGQgYmUgDQphcHBsaWVkIGF0IFNlbnMgdG8gc29tZW9uZSB3aG9zZSBuZWFyZXN0 IHJveWFsIGFuY2VzdG9yIHdhcyBIZW5yeSB0aGUgDQpGb3dsZXIsIGZhdGhlciBvZiBhIG1h dGVybmFsIGdyYW5kbW90aGVyLg0KDQpQZXRlciBTdGV3YXJ0DQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 1 02:52:25 2021
    A quarta-feira, 1 de dezembro de 2021 à(s) 10:51:13 UTC, Paulo Ricardo Canedo escreveu:
    A quarta-feira, 1 de dezembro de 2021 à(s) 01:25:48 UTC, pss...@optusnet.com.au escreveu:
    1. Arnulfing Descent

Having discussed the possible etichonid descent of Bruno of Toul, that is Bruno of Eguisheim later Pope Leo IX, which he doesnt himself claim I thought I would look at the descent he does claim. According to french wiki there is a papal bull of Leo iX, where he claims to be a descendant of Arnulf via Drogo of
    Champagne [d708] and names all 4 of his sons. Again the ref for this Settipani's capetian book, p162, but as Fraser has pointed out these refs can be misleading and I wouldnt want to attribute something to mr settipani which is actually an internet
    fantasy.
    I haven't had time to look further yet, but unfortunately this is indeed in Christian Settipani's book as cited - and it is worthless. I hope he will have thought better about it before he publishes the next volume of /La préhistoire des Capétiens/.

There is no such bull of Leo IX - the text is a 12th-century forgery inserted in the later 'Historia sancti Arnulfi Mettenis'. In this case
    the purported papal bull was probably forged in Trier ca 1120 and may represent a preliminary stage in an attempt to assert rights to dubious possessions of Saint-Arnoul abbey by connecting these with the former pope. The author evidently knew of Leo IX's relationship with the Etichonids and he used both genuine and forged Carolingian royal
    documents in his fabrication, intending to prove that the abbey was a royal foundation and that the bishop of Metz had no rights to its property.

Any genealogical speculation based on this is a waste of effort. Compounding the problem, Settipani also referred credulously to the earlier Saint-Arnoul forgeries speciously linking Hugo of Chaumontois to the Arnulfians as part of his evidence for conjecturing a line descended from Drogo of Champagne.

Peter Stewart
    Thanks for this, Peter. Those conjectures are laid out at https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godefried. I had previously asked about this at https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/OQXiq6cmwI8/m/db4ue0FVBAAJ

Did you remember the discussion?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 1 02:51:11 2021
    A quarta-feira, 1 de dezembro de 2021 à(s) 01:25:48 UTC, pss...@optusnet.com.au escreveu:
    1. Arnulfing Descent

d708] and names all 4 of his sons. Again the ref for this Settipani's capetian book, p162, but as Fraser has pointed out these refs can be misleading and I wouldnt want to attribute something to mr settipani which is actually an internet fantasy.

There is no such bull of Leo IX - the text is a 12th-century forgery inserted in the later 'Historia sancti Arnulfi Mettenis'. In this case
    the purported papal bull was probably forged in Trier ca 1120 and may represent a preliminary stage in an attempt to assert rights to dubious possessions of Saint-Arnoul abbey by connecting these with the former

earlier Saint-Arnoul forgeries speciously linking Hugo of Chaumontois to
    the Arnulfians as part of his evidence for conjecturing a line descended from Drogo of Champagne.

Peter Stewart

Thanks for this, Peter. Those conjectures are laid out at https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godefried. I had previously asked about this at https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/OQXiq6cmwI8/m/db4ue0FVBAAJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mike davis@21:1/5 to pss...@optusnet.com.au on Wed Dec 1 10:05:07 2021
    On Wednesday, December 1, 2021 at 7:18:13 AM UTC, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:
    <snip>
    2. Dagsburg Origin

My 2nd query concerns Bruno's maternal ancestors. AFAIK nothing is known about his mother Heilwig of Dasburg from medieval sources, except she was a latin [romance speaker] but could also speak teuton the language of her husband Hugo of Eguisheim who
    inherited Dagsburg through her. However in the 17th century, a historian at Moyenmoutier Jean de Bayon said he had found an entry in its archives which named Louis count of Dasburg _avus_ of St.Bruno who he perceived to be Heilwigs father. He went on to
    exult the virtues of Bruno's mother Heilwig, who he said retired to Moyenmoutier and lived there for the last 30 years of her life. In the 18th another historian Schoepflin says he also found a reference to a Louis Otto of Dasburg _avus_ of Pope Leo who
    in 966 founded the priory of St.Quirinus in the Vosges. This evidence was rejected by both Hlawitschka and Legl, but Charles Munier in his article _À propos du millénaire de la naissance du pape Léon IX (1002-1054)_ uses it as the starting point of
    his research into Brunos maternal descent.

Apparently jean de Bayon was a 14th century historian, my mistake.

Munier identifies this Louis of Dasburg with a story about a Louis 'Count of the alemans' he found in the chronicle of St.Pierre le Vif de Sens 1016/25, who as he was returning from a pilgrimage to Mont st.Michel, fell ill and died at Sens, and gave [
    V]ariscourt to the monks. He says this is the same man, because Jean de Bayon also called him Louis comte aleman! I havnt seen this source so I dont know what to make of this, but there do seem a few other obscure Count Louis floating around at this time
    such as Louis I of Chiny, Louis de Mousson. He goes to to attach Louis of Dasburg to the family of Rainald/Ragenold or Renaud de Roucy, whose origins are a problem in itself and suggest this family was favoured by Bruno of Koln and the Ottonians as they
    were descended from Gerberga sister of Otto the Great and her husband Giselbert of Lorraine/Lotharingia through their daughter Alberada. He names the siblings of Louis of Dagsberg as Giselbert de Roucy, Renaud who became count of Hainault when Bruno of
    Koln divided Lotharingia c959 and was killed at peronne 973, Bruno bishop of Langres, Otto father of Louis of Chiny, Hedwig who married Sigfrid of Luxemburg and Gerberga the wife of Fromond of Sens, 5 of whom he notes took their names from their maternal
    relatives.

There are obviously problems with this not least that Bruno of Langres says in 991 at Verzy synod that he had only one brother, so Louis of Dagsburg would have had to have died by then. Also AIUI the original Renaud de Roucy whoever he was, in fact
    was a strong ally of Louis IV of France in the 940s, so the family must have changed sides abruptly when the king suddenly died leaving a boy of 13. The original Renaud de Roucy is usually marked as dying in 967, but Munier quotes St.Pierre le Vif again
    to the contrary to suggest there were 2 separate Renauds. This chronicle says a famine occured which Munier says is the one mentioned in 942 by Flodard, and the Sens account
    says 3 yrs after this the city was surrendered to Renaud count of Reims [945] but Fromond attacked and broke into the castel of st colombe and Renaud was killed in the rout 27 august.

AIUI Renaud was not really count of Reims but later built a castle at Roucy nearby sometime later, and this account or Muniers interpretation is different to what I see elsewhere, so I wonder if he has made a mistake with the date of this event or if
    its a different Renaud.
    Renaud (or Ragenoldus) was repeatedly called count by Flodoard and he
    was excommunicated by an archbishop of Reims for hanging on to property belonging to the cathedral, so his power evidently covered that area and some historians conclude that he was count of Reims.

Not having access to this chronicle I dont know if Munier was correct
    in his dating of the events to 945. If this Renaud died 27/8/945 as he claims, it must be a different Renaud who built Roucy c948 and died 967, although
    it seems that Flodoard is refering to just 1 man not 2 under Louis IV.

As for the Louis "comes Alemannorum" who died as a monk at Saint-Pierre-le-Vif in Sens, probably ca 1023, he was not a brother but
    a first cousin of bishop Bruno of Langres, a son of the latter's
    maternal uncle Charles of Laon, duke of lower Lorraine. The notion that Louis of Dagsbourg was this man, a Carolingian, is far-fetched to say
    the least. Munier returned to this hobby-horse subject seven years after
    the article you mention, in 'A propos de Louis de Dabo, comes
    Alemanorum, aieul du Pape Léon IX', /Revue de droit canonique/ 57 (2009)
    - but the case didn't get any stronger in the interval. The epitaph of
    Louis who died in Sens described him as "regali de stirpe", of the royal bloodline, i.e. as a grandson of king Louis IV rather than of his wife, Bruno's grandmother Gerberga: this is not a description that would be applied at Sens to someone whose nearest royal ancestor was Henry the Fowler, father of a maternal grandmother.

So Louis of Dasburg wasnt the same man as mentioned in the Sens account,
    but can the Moyenmoutier evidence be used to establish a maternal ancestry? AIUI the records of Moyenmoutier were all burnt at the revolution, so these claims
    cant be checked.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Paulo Ricardo Canedo on Thu Dec 2 07:04:16 2021
    On 01-Dec-21 9:52 PM, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    A quarta-feira, 1 de dezembro de 2021 à(s) 10:51:13 UTC, Paulo Ricardo Canedo escreveu:
    1. Arnulfing Descent

Having discussed the possible etichonid descent of Bruno of Toul, that >>>> is Bruno of Eguisheim later Pope Leo IX, which he doesnt himself claim I thought I would look at the descent he does claim. According to french wiki there is a papal bull of Leo iX, where he claims to be a descendant of Arnulf via Drogo of Champagne
    [d708] and names all 4 of his sons. Again the ref for this Settipani's capetian book, p162, but as Fraser has pointed out these refs can be misleading and I wouldnt want to attribute something to mr settipani which is actually an internet fantasy.
    I haven't had time to look further yet, but unfortunately this is indeed >>> in Christian Settipani's book as cited - and it is worthless. I hope he
    will have thought better about it before he publishes the next volume of >>> /La préhistoire des Capétiens/.

inserted in the later 'Historia sancti Arnulfi Mettenis'. In this case
    represent a preliminary stage in an attempt to assert rights to dubious
    possessions of Saint-Arnoul abbey by connecting these with the former
    royal foundation and that the bishop of Metz had no rights to its property. >>>
    earlier Saint-Arnoul forgeries speciously linking Hugo of Chaumontois to >>> the Arnulfians as part of his evidence for conjecturing a line descended >>> from Drogo of Champagne.

Peter Stewart

No, Paulo - on a good day I have the memory capacity of a goldfish, and
    even then past SGM discussions are a blank. Frequently in the time it
    takes for a slowish lift mechanism to get me to my feet I've forgotten
    why I wanted to get up in the first place.

This wikipedia page reflects a lapse in scholarship that I trust
    Christian Settipani will correct - though it may be too late to get this misguided conjecture out of circulation now. The obvious place to check
    for the authenticity of a papal bull and for references to follow about
    the question is *Regesta Imperii*, where the problem with this forged
    document of Leo IX is set out (as summarised in my post above) by Karl
    Augustin Frech in *Papstregesten 1024-1058* part 2 (2011) pp. 236-237
    no. †650.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 2 07:34:11 2021
    T24gMDItRGVjLTIxIDU6MDUgQU0sIG1pa2UgZGF2aXMgd3JvdGU6DQo+IE9uIFdlZG5lc2Rh eSwgRGVjZW1iZXIgMSwgMjAyMSBhdCA3OjE4OjEzIEFNIFVUQywgcHNzLi4uQG9wdHVzbmV0 LmNvbS5hdSB3cm90ZToNCj4+IE9uIDAxLURlYy0yMSA1OjE0IEFNLCBtaWtlIGRhdmlzIHdy b3RlOg0KPj4gPHNuaXA+DQo+Pj4gMi4gRGFnc2J1cmcgT3JpZ2luDQo+Pj4NCj4+PiBNeSAy bmQgcXVlcnkgY29uY2VybnMgQnJ1bm8ncyBtYXRlcm5hbCBhbmNlc3RvcnMuIEFGQUlLIG5v dGhpbmcgaXMga25vd24gYWJvdXQgaGlzIG1vdGhlciBIZWlsd2lnIG9mIERhc2J1cmcgZnJv bSBtZWRpZXZhbCBzb3VyY2VzLCBleGNlcHQgc2hlIHdhcyBhIGxhdGluIFtyb21hbmNlIHNw ZWFrZXJdIGJ1dCBjb3VsZCBhbHNvIHNwZWFrIHRldXRvbiB0aGUgbGFuZ3VhZ2Ugb2YgaGVy IGh1c2JhbmQgSHVnbyBvZiBFZ3Vpc2hlaW0gd2hvIGluaGVyaXRlZCBEYWdzYnVyZyB0aHJv dWdoIGhlci4gSG93ZXZlciBpbiB0aGUgMTd0aCBjZW50dXJ5LCBhIGhpc3RvcmlhbiBhdCBN b3llbm1vdXRpZXIgSmVhbiBkZSBCYXlvbiBzYWlkIGhlIGhhZCBmb3VuZCBhbiBlbnRyeSBp biBpdHMgYXJjaGl2ZXMgd2hpY2ggbmFtZWQgTG91aXMgY291bnQgb2YgRGFzYnVyZyBfYXZ1 c18gb2YgU3QuQnJ1bm8gd2hvIGhlIHBlcmNlaXZlZCB0byBiZSBIZWlsd2lncyBmYXRoZXIu IEhlIHdlbnQgb24gdG8gZXh1bHQgdGhlIHZpcnR1ZXMgb2YgQnJ1bm8ncyBtb3RoZXIgSGVp bHdpZywgd2hvIGhlIHNhaWQgcmV0aXJlZCB0byBNb3llbm1vdXRpZXIgYW5kIGxpdmVkIHRo ZXJlIGZvciB0aGUgbGFzdCAzMCB5ZWFycyBvZiBoZXIgbGlmZS4gSW4gdGhlIDE4dGggYW5v dGhlciBoaXN0b3JpYW4gU2Nob2VwZmxpbiBzYXlzIGhlIGFsc28gZm91bmQgYSByZWZlcmVu Y2UgdG8gYSBMb3VpcyBPdHRvIG9mIERhc2J1cmcgX2F2dXNfIG9mIFBvcGUgTGVvIHdobyBp biA5NjYgZm91bmRlZCB0aGUgcHJpb3J5IG9mIFN0LlF1aXJpbnVzIGluIHRoZSBWb3NnZXMu IFRoaXMgZXZpZGVuY2Ugd2FzIHJlamVjdGVkIGJ5IGJvdGggSGxhd2l0c2Noa2EgYW5kIExl Z2wsIGJ1dCBDaGFybGVzIE11bmllciBpbiBoaXMgYXJ0aWNsZSBfw4AgcHJvcG9zIGR1IG1p bGzDqW5haXJlIGRlIGxhIG5haXNzYW5jZSBkdSBwYXBlIEzDqW9uIElYICgxMDAyLTEwNTQp XyB1c2VzIGl0IGFzIHRoZSBzdGFydGluZyBwb2ludCBvZiBoaXMgcmVzZWFyY2ggaW50byBC cnVub3MgbWF0ZXJuYWwgZGVzY2VudC4NCj4gDQo+IEFwcGFyZW50bHkgamVhbiBkZSBCYXlv biB3YXMgYSAxNHRoIGNlbnR1cnkgaGlzdG9yaWFuLCBteSBtaXN0YWtlLg0KDQpFYXJseS0x NHRoIC0gaGlzIGNocm9uaWNsZSB3YXMgd3JpdHRlbiBpbiAxMzI2Lg0KDQo+Pj4NCj4+PiBN dW5pZXIgaWRlbnRpZmllcyB0aGlzIExvdWlzIG9mIERhc2J1cmcgd2l0aCBhIHN0b3J5IGFi b3V0IGEgTG91aXMgJ0NvdW50IG9mIHRoZSBhbGVtYW5zJyBoZSBmb3VuZCBpbiB0aGUgY2hy b25pY2xlIG9mIFN0LlBpZXJyZSBsZSBWaWYgZGUgU2VucyAxMDE2LzI1LCB3aG8gYXMgaGUg d2FzIHJldHVybmluZyBmcm9tIGEgcGlsZ3JpbWFnZSB0byBNb250IHN0Lk1pY2hlbCwgZmVs bCBpbGwgYW5kIGRpZWQgYXQgU2VucywgYW5kIGdhdmUgW1ZdYXJpc2NvdXJ0IHRvIHRoZSBt b25rcy4gSGUgc2F5cyB0aGlzIGlzIHRoZSBzYW1lIG1hbiwgYmVjYXVzZSBKZWFuIGRlIEJh eW9uIGFsc28gY2FsbGVkIGhpbSBMb3VpcyBjb210ZSBhbGVtYW4hIEkgaGF2bnQgc2VlbiB0 aGlzIHNvdXJjZSBzbyBJIGRvbnQga25vdyB3aGF0IHRvIG1ha2Ugb2YgdGhpcywgYnV0IHRo ZXJlIGRvIHNlZW0gYSBmZXcgb3RoZXIgb2JzY3VyZSBDb3VudCBMb3VpcyBmbG9hdGluZyBh cm91bmQgYXQgdGhpcyB0aW1lIHN1Y2ggYXMgTG91aXMgSSBvZiBDaGlueSwgTG91aXMgZGUg TW91c3Nvbi4gSGUgZ29lcyB0byB0byBhdHRhY2ggTG91aXMgb2YgRGFzYnVyZyB0byB0aGUg ZmFtaWx5IG9mIFJhaW5hbGQvUmFnZW5vbGQgb3IgUmVuYXVkIGRlIFJvdWN5LCB3aG9zZSBv cmlnaW5zIGFyZSBhIHByb2JsZW0gaW4gaXRzZWxmIGFuZCBzdWdnZXN0IHRoaXMgZmFtaWx5 IHdhcyBmYXZvdXJlZCBieSBCcnVubyBvZiBLb2xuIGFuZCB0aGUgT3R0b25pYW5zIGFzIHRo ZXkgd2VyZSBkZXNjZW5kZWQgZnJvbSBHZXJiZXJnYSBzaXN0ZXIgb2YgT3R0byB0aGUgR3Jl YXQgYW5kIGhlciBodXNiYW5kIEdpc2VsYmVydCBvZiBMb3JyYWluZS9Mb3RoYXJpbmdpYSB0 aHJvdWdoIHRoZWlyIGRhdWdodGVyIEFsYmVyYWRhLiBIZSBuYW1lcyB0aGUgc2libGluZ3Mg b2YgTG91aXMgb2YgRGFnc2JlcmcgYXMgR2lzZWxiZXJ0IGRlIFJvdWN5LCBSZW5hdWQgd2hv IGJlY2FtZSBjb3VudCBvZiBIYWluYXVsdCB3aGVuIEJydW5vIG9mIEtvbG4gZGl2aWRlZCBM b3RoYXJpbmdpYSBjOTU5IGFuZCB3YXMga2lsbGVkIGF0IHBlcm9ubmUgOTczLCBCcnVubyBi aXNob3Agb2YgTGFuZ3JlcywgT3R0byBmYXRoZXIgb2YgTG91aXMgb2YgQ2hpbnksIEhlZHdp ZyB3aG8gbWFycmllZCBTaWdmcmlkIG9mIEx1eGVtYnVyZyBhbmQgR2VyYmVyZ2EgdGhlIHdp ZmUgb2YgRnJvbW9uZCBvZiBTZW5zLCA1IG9mIHdob20gaGUgbm90ZXMgdG9vayB0aGVpciBu YW1lcyBmcm9tIHRoZWlyIG1hdGVybmFsIHJlbGF0aXZlcy4NCj4+Pg0KPj4+IFRoZXJlIGFy ZSBvYnZpb3VzbHkgcHJvYmxlbXMgd2l0aCB0aGlzIG5vdCBsZWFzdCB0aGF0IEJydW5vIG9m IExhbmdyZXMgc2F5cyBpbiA5OTEgYXQgVmVyenkgc3lub2QgdGhhdCBoZSBoYWQgb25seSBv bmUgYnJvdGhlciwgc28gTG91aXMgb2YgRGFnc2J1cmcgd291bGQgaGF2ZSBoYWQgdG8gaGF2 ZSBkaWVkIGJ5IHRoZW4uIEFsc28gQUlVSSB0aGUgb3JpZ2luYWwgUmVuYXVkIGRlIFJvdWN5 IHdob2V2ZXIgaGUgd2FzLCBpbiBmYWN0IHdhcyBhIHN0cm9uZyBhbGx5IG9mIExvdWlzIElW IG9mIEZyYW5jZSBpbiB0aGUgOTQwcywgc28gdGhlIGZhbWlseSBtdXN0IGhhdmUgY2hhbmdl ZCBzaWRlcyBhYnJ1cHRseSB3aGVuIHRoZSBraW5nIHN1ZGRlbmx5IGRpZWQgbGVhdmluZyBh IGJveSBvZiAxMy4gVGhlIG9yaWdpbmFsIFJlbmF1ZCBkZSBSb3VjeSBpcyB1c3VhbGx5IG1h cmtlZCBhcyBkeWluZyBpbiA5NjcsIGJ1dCBNdW5pZXIgcXVvdGVzIFN0LlBpZXJyZSBsZSBW aWYgYWdhaW4gdG8gdGhlIGNvbnRyYXJ5IHRvIHN1Z2dlc3QgdGhlcmUgd2VyZSAyIHNlcGFy YXRlIFJlbmF1ZHMuIFRoaXMgY2hyb25pY2xlIHNheXMgYSBmYW1pbmUgb2NjdXJlZCB3aGlj aCBNdW5pZXIgc2F5cyBpcyB0aGUgb25lIG1lbnRpb25lZCBpbiA5NDIgYnkgRmxvZGFyZCwg YW5kIHRoZSBTZW5zIGFjY291bnQNCj4+PiBzYXlzIDMgeXJzIGFmdGVyIHRoaXMgdGhlIGNp dHkgd2FzIHN1cnJlbmRlcmVkIHRvIFJlbmF1ZCBjb3VudCBvZiBSZWltcyBbOTQ1XSBidXQg RnJvbW9uZCBhdHRhY2tlZCBhbmQgYnJva2UgaW50byB0aGUgY2FzdGVsIG9mIHN0IGNvbG9t YmUgYW5kIFJlbmF1ZCB3YXMga2lsbGVkIGluIHRoZSByb3V0IDI3IGF1Z3VzdC4NCj4+Pg0K Pj4+IEFJVUkgUmVuYXVkIHdhcyBub3QgcmVhbGx5IGNvdW50IG9mIFJlaW1zIGJ1dCBsYXRl ciBidWlsdCBhIGNhc3RsZSBhdCBSb3VjeSBuZWFyYnkgc29tZXRpbWUgbGF0ZXIsIGFuZCB0 aGlzIGFjY291bnQgb3IgTXVuaWVycyBpbnRlcnByZXRhdGlvbiBpcyBkaWZmZXJlbnQgdG8g d2hhdCBJIHNlZSBlbHNld2hlcmUsIHNvIEkgd29uZGVyIGlmIGhlIGhhcyBtYWRlIGEgbWlz dGFrZSB3aXRoIHRoZSBkYXRlIG9mIHRoaXMgZXZlbnQgb3IgaWYgaXRzIGEgZGlmZmVyZW50 IFJlbmF1ZC4NCj4+IFJlbmF1ZCAob3IgUmFnZW5vbGR1cykgd2FzIHJlcGVhdGVkbHkgY2Fs bGVkIGNvdW50IGJ5IEZsb2RvYXJkIGFuZCBoZQ0KPj4gd2FzIGV4Y29tbXVuaWNhdGVkIGJ5 IGFuIGFyY2hiaXNob3Agb2YgUmVpbXMgZm9yIGhhbmdpbmcgb24gdG8gcHJvcGVydHkNCj4+ IGJlbG9uZ2luZyB0byB0aGUgY2F0aGVkcmFsLCBzbyBoaXMgcG93ZXIgZXZpZGVudGx5IGNv dmVyZWQgdGhhdCBhcmVhIGFuZA0KPj4gc29tZSBoaXN0b3JpYW5zIGNvbmNsdWRlIHRoYXQg aGUgd2FzIGNvdW50IG9mIFJlaW1zLg0KPiANCj4gTm90IGhhdmluZyBhY2Nlc3MgdG8gdGhp cyBjaHJvbmljbGUgSSBkb250IGtub3cgaWYgTXVuaWVyIHdhcyBjb3JyZWN0DQo+IGluIGhp cyBkYXRpbmcgb2YgdGhlIGV2ZW50cyB0byA5NDUuIElmIHRoaXMgUmVuYXVkIGRpZWQgMjcv OC85NDUgYXMgaGUgY2xhaW1zLA0KPiBpdCBtdXN0IGJlIGEgZGlmZmVyZW50IFJlbmF1ZCB3 aG8gYnVpbHQgUm91Y3kgYzk0OCBhbmQgZGllZCA5NjcsIGFsdGhvdWdoDQo+IGl0IHNlZW1z IHRoYXQgRmxvZG9hcmQgaXMgcmVmZXJpbmcgdG8ganVzdCAxIG1hbiBub3QgMiB1bmRlciBM b3VpcyBJVi4NCg0KVGhlcmUgaXMgdW5jZXJ0YWludHkgYWJvdXQgd2hvIHdhcyB3aG8sIG9u ZSBtYW4gb3IgdHdvIC0gRmxvZG9hcmQgDQptZW50aW9uZWQgYSBWaWtpbmcgbGVhZGVyICdS YWdlbm9sZHVzLCBwcmluY2VwcyBOb3JkbWFubm9ydW0nIGEgZmV3IA0KdGltZXMgaW4gdGhl IDkyMHM6IGluIDkyNCBoZSB3YXMgZGV2YXN0YXRpbmcgdGhlIGxhbmRzIG9mIEh1Z28gTWFn bnVzLCANCmR1a2Ugb2YgdGhlIEZyYW5rcywgYmVjYXVzZSBoZSBoYWQgbm90IHlldCBiZWVu IGdpdmVuIHBvc3Nlc3Npb25zIG9mIGhpcyANCm93biB3aXRoaW4gRnJhbmNpYTsgaGUgbWFk ZSBhIHBhY3Qgd2l0aCBIdWdvIGluIHRoZSBzYW1lIHllYXIgYW5kIHdlbnQgDQpvZmYgdG8g cGlsbGFnZSBpbiBCdXJndW5keSBpbnN0ZWFkOyBieSB0aGUgZW5kIG9mIHRoYXQgeWVhciAo ZGVzY3JpYmVkIA0KYXQgdGhlIHN0YXJ0IG9mIDkyNSBieSBGbG9kb2FyZCkgaGUgd2FzIHB1 cnN1ZWQgYnkgSHVnbydzIGJyb3RoZXItaW4tbGF3IA0KUm9kdWxmLCBieSB0aGVuIGtpbmcg b2YgdGhlIEZyYW5rcywgd2l0aCBhIGZvcmNlIGluY2x1ZGluZyBzb2xkaWVycyBmcm9tIA0K UmVpbXMuIEFmdGVyIHRoYXQsIG5vdGhpbmcgaXMgaGVhcmQgb2YgaGltIHVudGlsIGVhcmx5 IGluIDk0NCB3aGVuIExvdWlzIA0KSVYgZ2F2ZSB0aGUgY2FzdHJ1bSBvZiBNb250aWdueSBu ZWFyIFNvaXNzb25zICh3aGljaCBoYWQgYmVsb25nZWQgdG8gDQpIZXJpYmVydCBJSSBvZiBW ZXJtYW5kb2lzKSB0byBhIFJhZ2Vub2xkLCB3aG9tIEZsb2RvYXJkIG5hbWVkIHdpdGhvdXQg DQpxdWFsaWZpY2F0aW9uLiBUaGUgdXBzaG90IHdhcyBhIGdvb2QgZGVhbCBvZiBzdHJpZmUg YmFjayBhbmQgZm9ydGggd2l0aCANCkhlcmliZXJ0J3MgZm9sbG93ZXJzIHVudGlsIDk0NSB3 aGVuIExvdWlzIHJhaXNlZCBhIGZvcmNlIG9mIFZpa2luZ3MgdG8gDQpyYXZhZ2UgVmVybWFu ZG9pcy4gSHVnbyBNYWdudXMgd29uIGEgdmljdG9yeSBvdmVyIHRoZSBWaWtpbmdzLCBleHBl bGxpbmcgDQp0aGVtIGZyb20gaGlzIGxhbmRzLCBhbmQgcHJvbXB0bHkgc2VudCBob3N0YWdl cyB0byBSZWltcyBzbyB0aGF0IA0KUmFnZW5vbGQgd291bGQgbWVldCB3aXRoIGhpbSBvbiB0 aGUga2luZydzIGJlaGFsZi4gRnJvbSB0aGlzIHRpbWUgb24gDQp0aGVyZSBpcyBhIGNvbnNp c3RlbnQgcmVjb3JkIG9mIGEgUmVuYXVkIGFzIGNvdW50IGF0IFJlaW1zIGFuZCBhbHNvIGlu IA0KOTQ4IGVyZWN0aW5nIGEgY2FzdHJ1bSBhdCBSb3VjeSBmcm9tIHdoaWNoIGhpcyBwcmVz dW1lZCBkZXNjZW5kYW50cyB0b29rIA0KdGhlaXIgdGl0bGUgLSBpbiB0aGlzIGNvbnRleHQg aGUgaXMgZGVzY3JpYmVkIGFzIGEgY291bnQgb2YgTG91aXMgSVYgDQooInF1YW5kYW0gbXVu aXRpb25lbSwgcXVhbSBSYWdlbm9sZHVzLCBjb21lcyBMdWRvd2ljaSwgc3VwZXIgQXhvbmFt IA0KZmx1dml1bSwgaW4gbG9jbyBxdWkgZGljaXR1ciBSYXVjaWFjdXMsIGFlZGlmaWNhYmF0 IikuDQoNCj4+DQo+PiBBcyBmb3IgdGhlIExvdWlzICJjb21lcyBBbGVtYW5ub3J1bSIgd2hv IGRpZWQgYXMgYSBtb25rIGF0DQo+PiBTYWludC1QaWVycmUtbGUtVmlmIGluIFNlbnMsIHBy b2JhYmx5IGNhIDEwMjMsIGhlIHdhcyBub3QgYSBicm90aGVyIGJ1dA0KPj4gYSBmaXJzdCBj b3VzaW4gb2YgYmlzaG9wIEJydW5vIG9mIExhbmdyZXMsIGEgc29uIG9mIHRoZSBsYXR0ZXIn cw0KPj4gbWF0ZXJuYWwgdW5jbGUgQ2hhcmxlcyBvZiBMYW9uLCBkdWtlIG9mIGxvd2VyIExv cnJhaW5lLiBUaGUgbm90aW9uIHRoYXQNCj4+IExvdWlzIG9mIERhZ3Nib3VyZyB3YXMgdGhp cyBtYW4sIGEgQ2Fyb2xpbmdpYW4sIGlzIGZhci1mZXRjaGVkIHRvIHNheQ0KPj4gdGhlIGxl YXN0LiBNdW5pZXIgcmV0dXJuZWQgdG8gdGhpcyBob2JieS1ob3JzZSBzdWJqZWN0IHNldmVu IHllYXJzIGFmdGVyDQo+PiB0aGUgYXJ0aWNsZSB5b3UgbWVudGlvbiwgaW4gJ0EgcHJvcG9z IGRlIExvdWlzIGRlIERhYm8sIGNvbWVzDQo+PiBBbGVtYW5vcnVtLCBhaWV1bCBkdSBQYXBl IEzDqW9uIElYJywgL1JldnVlIGRlIGRyb2l0IGNhbm9uaXF1ZS8gNTcgKDIwMDkpDQo+PiAt IGJ1dCB0aGUgY2FzZSBkaWRuJ3QgZ2V0IGFueSBzdHJvbmdlciBpbiB0aGUgaW50ZXJ2YWwu IFRoZSBlcGl0YXBoIG9mDQo+PiBMb3VpcyB3aG8gZGllZCBpbiBTZW5zIGRlc2NyaWJlZCBo aW0gYXMgInJlZ2FsaSBkZSBzdGlycGUiLCBvZiB0aGUgcm95YWwNCj4+IGJsb29kbGluZSwg aS5lLiBhcyBhIGdyYW5kc29uIG9mIGtpbmcgTG91aXMgSVYgcmF0aGVyIHRoYW4gb2YgaGlz IHdpZmUsDQo+PiBCcnVubydzIGdyYW5kbW90aGVyIEdlcmJlcmdhOiB0aGlzIGlzIG5vdCBh IGRlc2NyaXB0aW9uIHRoYXQgd291bGQgYmUNCj4+IGFwcGxpZWQgYXQgU2VucyB0byBzb21l b25lIHdob3NlIG5lYXJlc3Qgcm95YWwgYW5jZXN0b3Igd2FzIEhlbnJ5IHRoZQ0KPj4gRm93 bGVyLCBmYXRoZXIgb2YgYSBtYXRlcm5hbCBncmFuZG1vdGhlci4NCj4gDQo+IFNvIExvdWlz IG9mIERhc2J1cmcgd2FzbnQgdGhlIHNhbWUgbWFuIGFzIG1lbnRpb25lZCBpbiB0aGUgU2Vu cyBhY2NvdW50LA0KPiBidXQgY2FuIHRoZSBNb3llbm1vdXRpZXIgZXZpZGVuY2UgYmUgdXNl ZCB0byBlc3RhYmxpc2ggYSBtYXRlcm5hbCBhbmNlc3RyeT8NCj4gQUlVSSB0aGUgcmVjb3Jk cyBvZiBNb3llbm1vdXRpZXIgd2VyZSBhbGwgYnVybnQgYXQgdGhlIHJldm9sdXRpb24sIHNv IHRoZXNlIGNsYWltcw0KPiBjYW50IGJlIGNoZWNrZWQuDQoNCkFjY29yZGluZyB0byBGcmFu eiBMZWdsIGFsbW9zdCBub3RoaW5nIGNhbiBiZSBsZWFybmVkIGFib3V0IHRoZSANCmFuY2Vz dG9ycyBvZiBMZW8gSVgncyBtb3RoZXIgSGVpbHdpZyBvZiBEYWdzYm91cmcsIGFuZCB0aGUg b3JpZ2luIG9mIGhlciANCm1vdGhlciBpcyBjb21wbGV0ZWx5IG9ic2N1cmUuIEZyb20gdGhl IG1lbnRpb24gb2YgaGVyIGZpcnN0IGxhbmd1YWdlLCBhcyANCnlvdSBoYXZlIGFscmVhZHkg bm90ZWQsIExlZ2wgYXNzdW1lZCB0aGF0IGhlciBwYXJlbnRzIHByb2JhYmx5IGNhbWUgZnJv bSANCmFuIGFyZWEgb3JpZW50ZWQgdG93YXJkcyB0aGUgV2VzdCBGcmFua2lzaCBraW5nZG9t LCBidXQgbm90aGluZyBiZXlvbmQgdGhhdC4NCg0KUGV0ZXIgU3Rld2FydA0K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Thu Dec 2 09:16:33 2021
    On 02-Dec-21 7:34 AM, Peter Stewart wrote:
    On 02-Dec-21 5:05 AM, mike davis wrote:
    On Wednesday, December 1, 2021 at 7:18:13 AM UTC,
    pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:
    <snip>
    2. Dagsburg Origin

My 2nd query concerns Bruno's maternal ancestors. AFAIK nothing is
    known about his mother Heilwig of Dasburg from medieval sources,
    except she was a latin [romance speaker] but could also speak teuton
    the language of her husband Hugo of Eguisheim who inherited Dagsburg
    through her. However in the 17th century, a historian at
    Moyenmoutier Jean de Bayon said he had found an entry in its
    archives which named Louis count of Dasburg _avus_ of St.Bruno who
    he perceived to be Heilwigs father. He went on to exult the virtues
    of Bruno's mother Heilwig, who he said retired to Moyenmoutier and
    lived there for the last 30 years of her life. In the 18th another
    historian Schoepflin says he also found a reference to a Louis Otto
    of Dasburg _avus_ of Pope Leo who in 966 founded the priory of
    St.Quirinus in the Vosges. This evidence was rejected by both
    Hlawitschka and Legl, but Charles Munier in his article _À propos du
    millénaire de la naissance du pape Léon IX (1002-1054)_ uses it as
    the starting point of his research into Brunos maternal descent.

Apparently jean de Bayon was a 14th century historian, my mistake.

Early-14th - his chronicle was written in 1326.

Munier identifies this Louis of Dasburg with a story about a Louis
    'Count of the alemans' he found in the chronicle of St.Pierre le Vif
    de Sens 1016/25, who as he was returning from a pilgrimage to Mont
    st.Michel, fell ill and died at Sens, and gave [V]ariscourt to the
    monks. He says this is the same man, because Jean de Bayon also
    called him Louis comte aleman! I havnt seen this source so I dont
    know what to make of this, but there do seem a few other obscure
    Count Louis floating around at this time such as Louis I of Chiny,
    Louis de Mousson. He goes to to attach Louis of Dasburg to the
    family of Rainald/Ragenold or Renaud de Roucy, whose origins are a
    problem in itself and suggest this family was favoured by Bruno of
    Koln and the Ottonians as they were descended from Gerberga sister
    of Otto the Great and her husband Giselbert of Lorraine/Lotharingia
    through their daughter Alberada. He names the siblings of Louis of
    Dagsberg as Giselbert de Roucy, Renaud who became count of Hainault
    when Bruno of Koln divided Lotharingia c959 and was killed at
    peronne 973, Bruno bishop of Langres, Otto father of Louis of Chiny,
    Hedwig who married Sigfrid of Luxemburg and Gerberga the wife of
    Fromond of Sens, 5 of whom he notes took their names from their
    maternal relatives.

There are obviously problems with this not least that Bruno of
    Langres says in 991 at Verzy synod that he had only one brother, so
    Louis of Dagsburg would have had to have died by then. Also AIUI the
    original Renaud de Roucy whoever he was, in fact was a strong ally
    of Louis IV of France in the 940s, so the family must have changed
    sides abruptly when the king suddenly died leaving a boy of 13. The
    original Renaud de Roucy is usually marked as dying in 967, but
    Munier quotes St.Pierre le Vif again to the contrary to suggest
    there were 2 separate Renauds. This chronicle says a famine occured
    which Munier says is the one mentioned in 942 by Flodard, and the
    Sens account
    says 3 yrs after this the city was surrendered to Renaud count of
    Reims [945] but Fromond attacked and broke into the castel of st
    colombe and Renaud was killed in the rout 27 august.

AIUI Renaud was not really count of Reims but later built a castle
    at Roucy nearby sometime later, and this account or Muniers
    interpretation is different to what I see elsewhere, so I wonder if
    he has made a mistake with the date of this event or if its a
    different Renaud.
    was excommunicated by an archbishop of Reims for hanging on to property
    belonging to the cathedral, so his power evidently covered that area and >>> some historians conclude that he was count of Reims.

in his dating of the events to 945. If this Renaud died 27/8/945 as he
    claims,
    it must be a different Renaud who built Roucy c948 and died 967, although

There is uncertainty about who was who, one man or two - Flodoard
    mentioned a Viking leader 'Ragenoldus, princeps Nordmannorum' a few
    times in the 920s: in 924 he was devastating the lands of Hugo Magnus,
    duke of the Franks, because he had not yet been given possessions of his
    own within Francia; he made a pact with Hugo in the same year and went
    off to pillage in Burgundy instead; by the end of that year (described
    at the start of 925 by Flodoard) he was pursued by Hugo's brother-in-law Rodulf, by then king of the Franks, with a force including soldiers from Reims. After that, nothing is heard of him until early in 944 when Louis
    IV gave the castrum of Montigny near Soissons (which had belonged to
    Heribert II of Vermandois) to a Ragenold, whom Flodoard named without qualification. The upshot was a good deal of strife back and forth with Heribert's followers until 945 when Louis raised a force of Vikings to
    ravage Vermandois.

Incidentally, in the course of this strife count Ragenold/Renaud of
    Roucy may have married his sister to Waldric, count of Soissons - and if
    so they may have been children of the 920s Viking Ragenold. At any rate
    Guido, successor and probably son of Waldric in Soissons, was described
    as a first cousin by bishop Bruno of Langres at the same council in 991
    when he called Renaud's presumed son Gislebert his only brother. Guido
    of Soissons did not belong to the Vermandois family as often mistakenly asserted.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Thu Dec 2 12:21:59 2021

<snip>

claims,
    it must be a different Renaud who built Roucy c948 and died 967, although

Munier's date of 27 July (not August) 945 comes from misunderstanding
    the chronicle of Saint-Pierre-le-Vif - according to this, count Renaud
    escaped a counter-attack in Sens by viscount Fromond on 29 July in the
    third year after the famine that Flodoard had reported under 942.
    Fromond slaughtered many of Renaud's men, who were resting around
    midday, while the rest ran off. Munier wrongly thought that 'IIII
    kalendas augusti' means 27 rather than correctly 29 July, and he did not
    know enough Latin to realise that 'Rainaldus comes fuga lapsus est'
    means that he slipped away, not that he passed away.

The interval of two decades whenh Ragenold/Renaud is not mentioned may
    be just a period during which he settled with his followers in the Reims
    area, or it may be that Flodoard was writing about two different
    namesakes, in that case probably father and son, on either side of the interval. However, if Renaud of Roucy was the man active in the early
    920s he appears to have taken a long time to get married and have
    children since his wife's son Bruno of Langres was aged 24 when ordained
    in 981, i.e. born in 957. Also, if Bruno's first cousin Guy, count of
    Soissons, was son of a sister of Renaud then the latter more probably
    belonged to a generation born after Ragenold the Viking had invaded
    Francia - unless of course he had brought along a sister raiding with
    him who was (much later) thought a suitable bride for a Frankish count.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Thu Dec 2 16:31:44 2021
    On 01-Dec-21 6:18 PM, Peter Stewart wrote:

<snip>

2. Dagsburg Origin

My 2nd query concerns Bruno's maternal ancestors. AFAIK nothing is
    known about his mother Heilwig of Dasburg from medieval sources,
    except she was a latin [romance speaker] but could also speak teuton
    the language of her husband Hugo of Eguisheim who inherited Dagsburg
    through her. However in the 17th century, a historian at Moyenmoutier
    Jean de Bayon said he had found an entry in its archives which named
    Louis count of Dasburg _avus_ of St.Bruno who he perceived to be
    Heilwigs father. He went on to exult the virtues of Bruno's mother
    Heilwig, who he said retired to Moyenmoutier and lived there for the
    last 30 years of her life. In the 18th another historian Schoepflin
    says he also found a reference to a Louis Otto of Dasburg _avus_ of
    Pope Leo who in 966 founded the priory of St.Quirinus in the Vosges.
    This evidence was rejected by both Hlawitschka and Legl, but Charles
    Munier in his article _À propos du millénaire de la naissance du pape
    Léon IX (1002-1054)_ uses it as the starting point of his research
    into Brunos maternal descent.

Munier identifies this Louis of Dasburg with a story about a Louis
    'Count of the alemans' he found in the chronicle of St.Pierre le Vif
    de Sens 1016/25, who as he was returning from a pilgrimage to Mont
    st.Michel, fell ill and died at Sens, and gave [V]ariscourt to the
    monks. He says this is the same man, because Jean de Bayon also called
    him Louis comte aleman! I havnt seen this source so I dont know what
    to make of this, but there do seem a few other obscure Count Louis
    floating around at this time such as Louis I of Chiny, Louis de
    Mousson. He goes to to attach Louis of Dasburg to the family of
    Rainald/Ragenold or Renaud de Roucy, whose origins are a problem in
    itself and suggest this family was favoured by Bruno of Koln and the
    Ottonians as they were descended from Gerberga sister of Otto the
    Great and her husband Giselbert of Lorraine/Lotharingia through their
    daughter Alberada. He names the siblings of Louis of Dagsberg as
    Giselbert de Roucy, Renaud who became count of Hainault when Bruno of
    Koln divided Lotharingia c959 and was killed at peronne 973, Bruno
    bishop of Langres, Otto father of Louis of Chiny, Hedwig who married
    Sigfrid of Luxemburg and Gerberga the wife of Fromond of Sens, 5 of
    whom he notes took their names from their maternal relatives.

There are obviously problems with this not least that Bruno of Langres
    says in 991 at Verzy synod that he had only one brother, so Louis of
    Dagsburg would have had to have died by then. Also AIUI the original
    Renaud de Roucy whoever he was, in fact was a strong ally of Louis IV
    of France in the 940s, so the family must have changed sides abruptly
    when the king suddenly died leaving a boy of 13. The original Renaud
    de Roucy is usually marked as dying in 967, but Munier quotes
    St.Pierre le Vif again to the contrary to suggest there were 2
    separate Renauds. This chronicle says a famine occured which Munier
    says is the one mentioned in 942 by Flodard, and the Sens account
    says 3 yrs after this the city was surrendered to Renaud count of
    Reims [945] but Fromond attacked and broke into the castel of st
    colombe and Renaud was killed in the rout 27 august.

AIUI Renaud was not really count of Reims but later built a castle at
    Roucy nearby sometime later,  and this account or Muniers
    interpretation is different to what I see elsewhere, so I wonder if he
    has made a mistake with the date of this event or if its a different
    Renaud.

was excommunicated by an archbishop of Reims for hanging on to property belonging to the cathedral, so his power evidently covered that area and
    some historians conclude that he was count of Reims.

Opinions of historians differ starkly on the question of whether or not
    Renaud was count of Reims or of Roucy.

Fernand Vercauteren in 1930 took many past historians to task over this, insisting they must be wrong to call Renaud count of Reims. His evidence
    for this was argument simply because Flodoard wrote that the countship
    was granted to archbishop Artaud in 940: Vercauteren assumed that this
    must logically mean there could be no more lay counts afterwards. He
    dismissed two later sourcs explicitly calling him count of Reims but
    then adduced an even later one in support of his idea that Renaud's
    grandson Ebles had acquired the countship of Reims only when he was
    elected archbishop in 1021.

However, Flodoard also wrote that in 947 count Renaud along with
    archbishop Artaud's brother and soldiers of Reims defended property of
    the diocese against a former archbishop's nephew, who was plundering
    from a fortress ("munitio") he had built on the Marne. In 957 Flodoard described Roucy as a fortress (also "munitio") of Renaud, not specifying
    it as the base of his countship as Vercauteren assumed it to be.

Vercauteren offered no reason why Renaud, and explicitly titled count
    and owning Roucy (approximately 25 kms from Reims) could not have been effectively advocate of the archdiocese and principal feudatory of the archbishop, whether or not he was ever formally titled count 'of Reims'.
    In a similar way, for instance, Immed IV was diocesan count of Utrecht a
    few decades later - arrangements such as this were more common in
    Lotharingia than in Francia, but not unexampled as Vercauteren
    arbitrarily supposed.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mike davis@21:1/5 to pss...@optusnet.com.au on Thu Dec 2 10:13:41 2021
    On Thursday, December 2, 2021 at 1:22:06 AM UTC, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:
    <snip>
    claims,
    it must be a different Renaud who built Roucy c948 and died 967, although >> it seems that Flodoard is refering to just 1 man not 2 under Louis IV. Munier's date of 27 July (not August) 945 comes from misunderstanding
    the chronicle of Saint-Pierre-le-Vif - according to this, count Renaud escaped a counter-attack in Sens by viscount Fromond on 29 July in the
    third year after the famine that Flodoard had reported under 942.
    Fromond slaughtered many of Renaud's men, who were resting around
    midday, while the rest ran off. Munier wrongly thought that 'IIII
    kalendas augusti' means 27 rather than correctly 29 July, and he did not
    know enough Latin to realise that 'Rainaldus comes fuga lapsus est'
    means that he slipped away, not that he passed away.

I thought that Munier must have been wrong on this, so thankyou
    for pointing out this error. my latin isnt good enough to risk correcting others in public.

The interval of two decades whenh Ragenold/Renaud is not mentioned may
    be just a period during which he settled with his followers in the Reims area, or it may be that Flodoard was writing about two different
    namesakes, in that case probably father and son, on either side of the interval. However, if Renaud of Roucy was the man active in the early
    920s he appears to have taken a long time to get married and have
    children since his wife's son Bruno of Langres was aged 24 when ordained
    in 981, i.e. born in 957. Also, if Bruno's first cousin Guy, count of Soissons, was son of a sister of Renaud then the latter more probably belonged to a generation born after Ragenold the Viking had invaded
    Francia - unless of course he had brought along a sister raiding with
    him who was (much later) thought a suitable bride for a Frankish count.

Peter Stewart

if Bruno of Langres was only born in 957, that does have implications for the rest of
    the roucy family. Even if Giselbert and perhaps Louis were 10 years older than Bruno, its hard to see how a man that young can be the "Louis Otto of Dagsburg" who Schoepflin says he found referenced as the founder of St.Quirinus in the Vosges.
    in 966. So either Schoepflin was mistaken, or Munier is wrong to attach him to the
    Roucy family. I'm assuming that Jean de Bayon and Schoepflin didnt make Louis up
    that is. I know that Renaud's wife Alberada is only assumed to be his wife from other evidence rather than a definite statement, but if she is definitely the daughter of
    Giselbert of LTR and Gerberga of Saxony [and not an earlier union] then she probably
    was born after 928, so I assume she became the ward of her stepfather Louis IV and
    he gave her to Renaud sometime in the 940s or at any rate before 954? Either way the
    idea of Louis of Dagsburg coming from Roucy family despite the onomastic accord
    that Munier cites, seems more unlikely.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fraser McNair@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 2 10:58:32 2021
    <big snip>

Beyond the fact they've got a version of the same name, there really is no reason whatsoever to connect the Viking leader Rognvald with Ragenold of Roucy. Rognvald's career is pretty straightforward - he shows up on the Loire c. 920, is omnipresent in
    Flodoard's annals for about five years, then leads his host into a battle at Chaumont, is crushed, and utterly disappears. It's almost certain he's killed. Ragenold of Roucy shows up two decades later with the same name, but by the same token so does,
    say, Viscount Rainald of Aubusson.

As for whether he's count of Roucy or Rheims: on one hand, he shows up in _Chartes de Cluny_, no. 730, as Rainaldus Remensis comitis [sic], which is as good by way of evidence as anything. However, I think getting hung up, like Vercauteren, on whether
    person X was count of 'place X' or 'place Y' rather misses the point. Counts - especially men like Ragenold whose status was so heavily tied to royal favour - didn't _have_ to be counts of anywhere in particular. (See on this Charles West, 'Principautés
    et territoires: comtes et comtés'; but Charles the Simple's favourite Hagano, in the generation prior to Ragenold's, is a case in point.) Comital title could be as much about status as about jurisdiction. Ragenold was rich, well-connected, and up in
    your face, and that was evidently good enough for contemporaries.

F

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to mike davis on Fri Dec 3 08:41:26 2021
    On 03-Dec-21 5:13 AM, mike davis wrote:

<snip>

if Bruno of Langres was only born in 957, that does have implications for the rest of
    the roucy family. Even if Giselbert and perhaps Louis were 10 years older than
    Bruno, its hard to see how a man that young can be the "Louis Otto of Dagsburg"
    who Schoepflin says he found referenced as the founder of St.Quirinus in the Vosges.
    in 966. So either Schoepflin was mistaken, or Munier is wrong to attach him to the
    Roucy family. I'm assuming that Jean de Bayon and Schoepflin didnt make Louis up
    that is. I know that Renaud's wife Alberada is only assumed to be his wife from
    other evidence rather than a definite statement, but if she is definitely the daughter of
    Giselbert of LTR and Gerberga of Saxony [and not an earlier union] then she probably
    was born after 928, so I assume she became the ward of her stepfather Louis IV and
    he gave her to Renaud sometime in the 940s or at any rate before 954? Either way the

Bruno's birth in 957 is indicated in an obituary notice from
    Saint-Bénigne de Dijon stating that he was in his 60th year when he died
    (in 1016), and according to the chronicle of the same abbey he was aged
    24 when ordained in 981.

Munier is wrong in trying to identify any count Louis as a brother of
    Gislebert and Bruno, unquestionably. They were certainly sons of
    Alberada, and if there had been a half-brother on their father's side disregarded in Bruno's "only brother" statement he would necessarily
    have been older than Gislebert since Alberada outlived Renaud of Roucy. Gislebert disposed of half and kept half of the viscountcy of Reims
    according to a tract written at Saint-Remi ca 1100, that contradicts Vercauteren's idea about his (probable) son Ebles only acquiring comital
    rights there when elected archbishop. No Louis occurs as a successor to
    Renaud in either Reims or Roucy, and Renaud does not occur in Dagsbourg. Onomastics have misled better researchers than Munier.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Fraser McNair on Fri Dec 3 08:21:26 2021
    On 03-Dec-21 5:58 AM, Fraser McNair wrote:
    <big snip>

Beyond the fact they've got a version of the same name, there really is no reason whatsoever to connect the Viking leader Rognvald with Ragenold of Roucy. Rognvald's career is pretty straightforward - he shows up on the Loire c. 920, is omnipresent in
    Flodoard's annals for about five years, then leads his host into a battle at Chaumont, is crushed, and utterly disappears. It's almost certain he's killed. Ragenold of Roucy shows up two decades later with the same name, but by the same token so does,
    say, Viscount Rainald of Aubusson.

Except that Aubusson is nowhere near Reims, the area in which both
    Ragenolds appear within two decades of each other. Also the orthography
    used for both by Flodoard (Ragenoldus, rather than Rainaldus that was
    more frequent in the mid-10th century) has been taken to suggest that
    the original Norse name may have been Ragnvald, following a pattern of
    baptism with a vaguely similar or alliterative name (e.g. Rollo/Robert). Flodoard distinguished between some namesakes, for instance by the use
    of second names (such as Albus for Hugo Magnus, possibly a
    mistranscription of Abbas), but gave no indication of this in the
    occurrences of Ragenold/s except in the change between calling one
    leader of the Northmen ("princeps Nordmannorum") and the other "comes"
    without a territorial designation (that was anyway not usually stated
    for counts in his time, as you point out).

As for whether he's count of Roucy or Rheims: on one hand, he shows up in _Chartes de Cluny_, no. 730, as Rainaldus Remensis comitis [sic], which is as good by way of evidence as anything. However, I think getting hung up, like Vercauteren, on whether
    person X was count of 'place X' or 'place Y' rather misses the point. Counts - especially men like Ragenold whose status was so heavily tied to royal favour - didn't _have_ to be counts of anywhere in particular. (See on this Charles West, 'Principautés
    et territoires: comtes et comtés'; but Charles the Simple's favourite Hagano, in the generation prior to Ragenold's, is a case in point.) Comital title could be as much about status as about jurisdiction. Ragenold was rich, well-connected, and up in
    your face, and that was evidently good enough for contemporaries.

Vercauteren would have rejected the Cluny charter evidence on the same
    basis as the two chronicles calling Renaud count of Reims, that this was retrospective from a century or more later - in this case, a
    semi-literate mention from the second half of the 11th century in the
    cartulary of abbot Aimard, here: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b10545027z/f307.item ("Rainald[us] REMENS[IS] COMITIS" at the end of no. 29 just above the red rubric for
    no. 30).

A count who did not exercise authority in a particular place would not
    normally be found leading soldiery from a particular place to defend possessions of its prelate. Flodoard called Renaud (whom I think to be
    the second namesake) "count of Louis [IV]", but this doesn't necessarily indicate a count palatine or some kind of roving commission.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fraser McNair@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 2 14:02:46 2021
    <snip?
    the original Norse name may have been Ragnvald, following a pattern of baptism with a vaguely similar or alliterative name (e.g. Rollo/Robert). Flodoard distinguished between some namesakes, for instance by the use
    mistranscription of Abbas), but gave no indication of this in the occurrences of Ragenold/s except in the change between calling one
    leader of the Northmen ("princeps Nordmannorum") and the other "comes" without a territorial designation (that was anyway not usually stated

Except that Rognvald the viking leader doesn't show up in Rheims. Flodoard says that he's the leader of the Northmen on the Loire, that he briefly crosses the Oise in 923 but returns to Artois shortly afterwards. Then there's raiding and counter-raiding
    across the Oise, before Rognvald returns to the Loire - where he's clearly identified as being based - to raid there for 924. Then, Hugh the Great and William the Younger of Aquitaine - so, magnates either side of the Loire - make a deal with him to go
    and raid in Burgundy, which he therefore does before being defeat and, probably, killed at Chaumont. I will grant he gets closer to Rheims than Aubusson, but his base of operations is clearly identified as being on the Loire.

As for distinguishing between namesakes, he clearly felt that a Frankish aristocrat from the 940s was in no danger of being confused with a Viking raider from 920s. See for instance his failure to distinguish between Reginar II (last in his annals s.a.
    928) and Reginar III (first appearance s.a. 953).

Vercauteren would have rejected the Cluny charter evidence on the same
    basis as the two chronicles calling Renaud count of Reims, that this was retrospective from a century or more later - in this case, a
    semi-literate mention from the second half of the 11th century in the cartulary of abbot Aimard, here: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b10545027z/f307.item ("Rainald[us] REMENS[IS] COMITIS" at the end of no. 29 just above the red rubric for
    no. 30).

On consideration, I don't have any objection to Vercauteren's objection to the Cluny charter, having made similar objections myself to an alleged 'count of Boulogne' in Ghent charters.

A count who did not exercise authority in a particular place would not normally be found leading soldiery from a particular place to defend possessions of its prelate. Flodoard called Renaud (whom I think to be
    the second namesake) "count of Louis [IV]", but this doesn't necessarily indicate a count palatine or some kind of roving commission.

In theory, I agree about the question of exercising authority, but differ about what that means. Does one have to have a specific administrative or jurisdictional competence to exercise authority in a place? Clearly not: if one had lands, family and/or
    allies, that is good enough. (Off the top of my head, one can see in the latter part of the tenth century Count Lambert of Chalon exercising authority in both Autunois and Mâconnais on precisely these grounds.) Ragenold's authority in Rheims appears to
    have derived from his closeness to the king, his allies in the region, and his landed estates, rather than whether or not he was or was not 'count of Rheims' (he may have been, he may not have been, it probably didn't matter all that much). The 947
    attack is a case in point, as Ragenold's part came from the fact that he, like Dodo, was a trusted ally of and proven military commander for Louis IV and Archbishop Artald - the same reason he led troops against Vitry in 952 and Poitiers in 955 (this
    latter obviously not under Louis IV but Lothar inherited his father's allies during his early years).

F

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 3 09:35:02 2021
    T24gMDMtRGVjLTIxIDk6MDIgQU0sIEZyYXNlciBNY05haXIgd3JvdGU6DQo+IDxzbmlwPw0K Pj4gRXhjZXB0IHRoYXQgQXVidXNzb24gaXMgbm93aGVyZSBuZWFyIFJlaW1zLCB0aGUgYXJl YSBpbiB3aGljaCBib3RoDQo+PiBSYWdlbm9sZHMgYXBwZWFyIHdpdGhpbiB0d28gZGVjYWRl cyBvZiBlYWNoIG90aGVyLiBBbHNvIHRoZSBvcnRob2dyYXBoeQ0KPj4gdXNlZCBmb3IgYm90 aCBieSBGbG9kb2FyZCAoUmFnZW5vbGR1cywgcmF0aGVyIHRoYW4gUmFpbmFsZHVzIHRoYXQg d2FzDQo+PiBtb3JlIGZyZXF1ZW50IGluIHRoZSBtaWQtMTB0aCBjZW50dXJ5KSBoYXMgYmVl biB0YWtlbiB0byBzdWdnZXN0IHRoYXQNCj4+IHRoZSBvcmlnaW5hbCBOb3JzZSBuYW1lIG1h eSBoYXZlIGJlZW4gUmFnbnZhbGQsIGZvbGxvd2luZyBhIHBhdHRlcm4gb2YNCj4+IGJhcHRp c20gd2l0aCBhIHZhZ3VlbHkgc2ltaWxhciBvciBhbGxpdGVyYXRpdmUgbmFtZSAoZS5nLiBS b2xsby9Sb2JlcnQpLg0KPj4gRmxvZG9hcmQgZGlzdGluZ3Vpc2hlZCBiZXR3ZWVuIHNvbWUg bmFtZXNha2VzLCBmb3IgaW5zdGFuY2UgYnkgdGhlIHVzZQ0KPj4gb2Ygc2Vjb25kIG5hbWVz IChzdWNoIGFzIEFsYnVzIGZvciBIdWdvIE1hZ251cywgcG9zc2libHkgYQ0KPj4gbWlzdHJh bnNjcmlwdGlvbiBvZiBBYmJhcyksIGJ1dCBnYXZlIG5vIGluZGljYXRpb24gb2YgdGhpcyBp biB0aGUNCj4+IG9jY3VycmVuY2VzIG9mIFJhZ2Vub2xkL3MgZXhjZXB0IGluIHRoZSBjaGFu Z2UgYmV0d2VlbiBjYWxsaW5nIG9uZQ0KPj4gbGVhZGVyIG9mIHRoZSBOb3J0aG1lbiAoInBy aW5jZXBzIE5vcmRtYW5ub3J1bSIpIGFuZCB0aGUgb3RoZXIgImNvbWVzIg0KPj4gd2l0aG91 dCBhIHRlcnJpdG9yaWFsIGRlc2lnbmF0aW9uICh0aGF0IHdhcyBhbnl3YXkgbm90IHVzdWFs bHkgc3RhdGVkDQo+PiBmb3IgY291bnRzIGluIGhpcyB0aW1lLCBhcyB5b3UgcG9pbnQgb3V0 KS4NCj4gDQo+IEV4Y2VwdCB0aGF0IFJvZ252YWxkIHRoZSB2aWtpbmcgbGVhZGVyIGRvZXNu J3Qgc2hvdyB1cCBpbiBSaGVpbXMuIEZsb2RvYXJkIHNheXMgdGhhdCBoZSdzIHRoZSBsZWFk ZXIgb2YgdGhlIE5vcnRobWVuIG9uIHRoZSBMb2lyZSwgdGhhdCBoZSBicmllZmx5IGNyb3Nz ZXMgdGhlIE9pc2UgaW4gOTIzIGJ1dCByZXR1cm5zIHRvIEFydG9pcyBzaG9ydGx5IGFmdGVy d2FyZHMuIFRoZW4gdGhlcmUncyByYWlkaW5nIGFuZCBjb3VudGVyLXJhaWRpbmcgYWNyb3Nz IHRoZSBPaXNlLCBiZWZvcmUgUm9nbnZhbGQgcmV0dXJucyB0byB0aGUgTG9pcmUgLSB3aGVy ZSBoZSdzIGNsZWFybHkgaWRlbnRpZmllZCBhcyBiZWluZyBiYXNlZCAtIHRvIHJhaWQgdGhl cmUgZm9yIDkyNC4gVGhlbiwgSHVnaCB0aGUgR3JlYXQgYW5kIFdpbGxpYW0gdGhlIFlvdW5n ZXIgb2YgQXF1aXRhaW5lIC0gc28sIG1hZ25hdGVzIGVpdGhlciBzaWRlIG9mIHRoZSBMb2ly ZSAtIG1ha2UgYSBkZWFsIHdpdGggaGltIHRvIGdvIGFuZCByYWlkIGluIEJ1cmd1bmR5LCB3 aGljaCBoZSB0aGVyZWZvcmUgZG9lcyBiZWZvcmUgYmVpbmcgZGVmZWF0IGFuZCwgcHJvYmFi bHksIGtpbGxlZCBhdCBDaGF1bW9udC4gSSB3aWxsIGdyYW50IGhlIGdldHMgY2xvc2VyIHRv IFJoZWltcyB0aGFuIEF1YnVzc29uLCBidXQgaGlzIGJhc2Ugb2Ygb3BlcmF0aW9ucyBpcyBj bGVhcmx5IGlkZW50aWZpZWQgYXMgYmVpbmcgb24gdGhlIExvaXJlLg0KDQpJIG1lbnRpb25l ZCBpbiBhbiBlYXJsaWVyIHBvc3QgdGhhdCB1bmRlciA5MjUgRmxvZG9hcmQgc2FpZCBLaW5n IFJvZHVsZiANCnB1cnN1ZWQgUmFnZW5vbGQgaW4gQnVyZ3VuZHkgd2l0aCBzb2xkaWVycyBm cm9tIFJlaW1zIC0gSSBkb24ndCBzdXBwb3NlIA0KaGUgdG9vayB0aGVtIHZpYSB0aGUgTG9p cmUgdmFsbGV5LiBWaWtpbmcgcmFpZGVycyB3ZXJlIG5vdCBjb25maW5lZCB0byANCmVzdGFi bGlzaGVkIGJhc2VzLg0KDQo+IEFzIGZvciBkaXN0aW5ndWlzaGluZyBiZXR3ZWVuIG5hbWVz YWtlcywgaGUgY2xlYXJseSBmZWx0IHRoYXQgYSBGcmFua2lzaCBhcmlzdG9jcmF0IGZyb20g dGhlIDk0MHMgd2FzIGluIG5vIGRhbmdlciBvZiBiZWluZyBjb25mdXNlZCB3aXRoIGEgVmlr aW5nIHJhaWRlciBmcm9tIDkyMHMuIFNlZSBmb3IgaW5zdGFuY2UgaGlzIGZhaWx1cmUgdG8g ZGlzdGluZ3Vpc2ggYmV0d2VlbiBSZWdpbmFyIElJIChsYXN0IGluIGhpcyBhbm5hbHMgcy5h LiA5MjgpIGFuZCBSZWdpbmFyIElJSSAoZmlyc3QgYXBwZWFyYW5jZSBzLmEuIDk1MykuDQoN ClRoZXNlIFJlZ2luYXJzIHdlcmUgZmF0aGVyIGFuZCBzb24gLSB5b3VyIGFyZ3VtZW50LCB0 byB3aGljaCBJIHdhcyANCmRpcmVjdGx5IHJlc3BvbmRpbmcsIHdhcyB0aGF0ICJ0aGVyZSBy ZWFsbHkgaXMgbm8gcmVhc29uIHdoYXRzb2V2ZXIgdG8gDQpjb25uZWN0IHRoZSBWaWtpbmcg bGVhZGVyIFJvZ252YWxkIHdpdGggUmFnZW5vbGQgb2YgUm91Y3kiLiBBcyBmb3IgDQpjbGFy aXR5LCB3aHkgZG8geW91IHRoaW5rIGhpc3RvcmlhbnMgaGF2ZSBkZWJhdGVkIHdoZXRoZXIg RmxvZG9hcmQgDQpyZWZlcnJlZCB0byBvbmUgUmFnZW5vbGQgb3IgdHdvIGlmIGhpcyBpbnRl bnRpb24gaXMgY2xlYXI/DQoNCj4gDQo+PiBWZXJjYXV0ZXJlbiB3b3VsZCBoYXZlIHJlamVj dGVkIHRoZSBDbHVueSBjaGFydGVyIGV2aWRlbmNlIG9uIHRoZSBzYW1lDQo+PiBiYXNpcyBh cyB0aGUgdHdvIGNocm9uaWNsZXMgY2FsbGluZyBSZW5hdWQgY291bnQgb2YgUmVpbXMsIHRo YXQgdGhpcyB3YXMNCj4+IHJldHJvc3BlY3RpdmUgZnJvbSBhIGNlbnR1cnkgb3IgbW9yZSBs YXRlciAtIGluIHRoaXMgY2FzZSwgYQ0KPj4gc2VtaS1saXRlcmF0ZSBtZW50aW9uIGZyb20g dGhlIHNlY29uZCBoYWxmIG9mIHRoZSAxMXRoIGNlbnR1cnkgaW4gdGhlDQo+PiBjYXJ0dWxh cnkgb2YgYWJib3QgQWltYXJkLCBoZXJlOg0KPj4gaHR0cHM6Ly9nYWxsaWNhLmJuZi5mci9h cms6LzEyMTQ4L2J0djFiMTA1NDUwMjd6L2YzMDcuaXRlbSAoIlJhaW5hbGRbdXNdDQo+PiBS RU1FTlNbSVNdIENPTUlUSVMiIGF0IHRoZSBlbmQgb2Ygbm8uIDI5IGp1c3QgYWJvdmUgdGhl IHJlZCBydWJyaWMgZm9yDQo+PiBuby4gMzApLg0KPiANCj4gT24gY29uc2lkZXJhdGlvbiwg SSBkb24ndCBoYXZlIGFueSBvYmplY3Rpb24gdG8gVmVyY2F1dGVyZW4ncyBvYmplY3Rpb24g dG8gdGhlIENsdW55IGNoYXJ0ZXIsIGhhdmluZyBtYWRlIHNpbWlsYXIgb2JqZWN0aW9ucyBt eXNlbGYgdG8gYW4gYWxsZWdlZCAnY291bnQgb2YgQm91bG9nbmUnIGluIEdoZW50IGNoYXJ0 ZXJzLg0KDQpWZXJjYXV0ZXJlbiBkaWRuJ3Qgb2JqZWN0IHRvIHRoZSBDbHVueSBjaGFydGVy IC0gaGUgZGlkbid0IG1lbnRpb24gaXQ6IA0KdGhhdCBpcyB3aHkgSSB3cm90ZSAid291bGQg aGF2ZSByZWplY3RlZCAuLi4iLiBIZSBhbHNvIGRpZCBub3Qgbm90aWNlIA0KdGhhdCB0aGUg Y2hyb25pY2xlIG9mIFNhaW50LVBpZXJyZS1sZS1WaWYgKHdyaXR0ZW4gMTEwOC85KSBoYWQg Y29waWVkIA0KdGhlIHRpdGxlICJjb3VudCBvZiBSZWltcyIgZnJvbSB0aGUgZWFybGllciBT ZW5zIGhpc3RvcnkgKHdyaXR0ZW4gDQoxMDE1LzM0KSBpbiBhbm90aGVyIHBhc3NhZ2UgdGhh dCBoZSBvbWl0dGVkLCBhbmQgdGhhdCB0aGlzIHdhcyBhbHNvIA0KY29waWVkIGluIGEgdGhp cmQgc291cmNlIHdyaXR0ZW4gbGF0ZXIgYXQgU2Vucy4gSGUgdGhvdWdodCB0aGF0IHRoZXNl IA0KYXV0aG9ycyB3ZXJlIHdyaXRpbmcgZmFyIGZyb20gUmVpbXMgYW5kIGZyb20gdGhlaXIg ZGlzdGFuY2UgbHVtcGVkIFJlaW1zIA0KYW5kIFJvdWN5IHRvZ2V0aGVyLCBuZWdsZWN0aW5n IHRoYXQgUmVuYXVkIGhhZCBicmllZmx5IGhlbGQgU2VucyBpbiA5NDUgDQpiZWZvcmUgYmVp bmcgY2hhc2VkIG91dCBhcyBtaXNyZXByZXNlbnRlZCBieSBNdW5pZXIuDQoNCj4gDQo+PiBB IGNvdW50IHdobyBkaWQgbm90IGV4ZXJjaXNlIGF1dGhvcml0eSBpbiBhIHBhcnRpY3VsYXIg cGxhY2Ugd291bGQgbm90DQo+PiBub3JtYWxseSBiZSBmb3VuZCBsZWFkaW5nIHNvbGRpZXJ5 IGZyb20gYSBwYXJ0aWN1bGFyIHBsYWNlIHRvIGRlZmVuZA0KPj4gcG9zc2Vzc2lvbnMgb2Yg aXRzIHByZWxhdGUuIEZsb2RvYXJkIGNhbGxlZCBSZW5hdWQgKHdob20gSSB0aGluayB0byBi ZQ0KPj4gdGhlIHNlY29uZCBuYW1lc2FrZSkgImNvdW50IG9mIExvdWlzIFtJVl0iLCBidXQg dGhpcyBkb2Vzbid0IG5lY2Vzc2FyaWx5DQo+PiBpbmRpY2F0ZSBhIGNvdW50IHBhbGF0aW5l IG9yIHNvbWUga2luZCBvZiByb3ZpbmcgY29tbWlzc2lvbi4NCj4gDQo+IA0KPiBJbiB0aGVv cnksIEkgYWdyZWUgYWJvdXQgdGhlIHF1ZXN0aW9uIG9mIGV4ZXJjaXNpbmcgYXV0aG9yaXR5 LCBidXQgZGlmZmVyIGFib3V0IHdoYXQgdGhhdCBtZWFucy4gRG9lcyBvbmUgaGF2ZSB0byBo YXZlIGEgc3BlY2lmaWMgYWRtaW5pc3RyYXRpdmUgb3IganVyaXNkaWN0aW9uYWwgY29tcGV0 ZW5jZSB0byBleGVyY2lzZSBhdXRob3JpdHkgaW4gYSBwbGFjZT8gQ2xlYXJseSBub3Q6IGlm IG9uZSBoYWQgbGFuZHMsIGZhbWlseSBhbmQvb3IgYWxsaWVzLCB0aGF0IGlzIGdvb2QgZW5v dWdoLiAoT2ZmIHRoZSB0b3Agb2YgbXkgaGVhZCwgb25lIGNhbiBzZWUgaW4gdGhlIGxhdHRl ciBwYXJ0IG9mIHRoZSB0ZW50aCBjZW50dXJ5IENvdW50IExhbWJlcnQgb2YgQ2hhbG9uIGV4 ZXJjaXNpbmcgYXV0aG9yaXR5IGluIGJvdGggQXV0dW5vaXMgYW5kIE3DomNvbm5haXMgb24g cHJlY2lzZWx5IHRoZXNlIGdyb3VuZHMuKSBSYWdlbm9sZCdzIGF1dGhvcml0eSBpbiBSaGVp bXMgYXBwZWFycyB0byBoYXZlIGRlcml2ZWQgZnJvbSBoaXMgY2xvc2VuZXNzIHRvIHRoZSBr aW5nLCBoaXMgYWxsaWVzIGluIHRoZSByZWdpb24sIGFuZCBoaXMgbGFuZGVkIGVzdGF0ZXMs IHJhdGhlciB0aGFuIHdoZXRoZXIgb3Igbm90IGhlIHdhcyBvciB3YXMgbm90ICdjb3VudCBv ZiBSaGVpbXMnIChoZSBtYXkgaGF2ZSBiZWVuLCBoZSBtYXkgbm90IGhhdmUgYmVlbiwgaXQg cHJvYmFibHkgZGlkbid0IG1hdHRlciBhbGwgdGhhdCBtdWNoKS4gVGhlIDk0NyBhdHRhY2sg aXMgYSBjYXNlIGluIHBvaW50LCBhcyBSYWdlbm9sZCdzIHBhcnQgY2FtZSBmcm9tIHRoZSBm YWN0IHRoYXQgaGUsIGxpa2UgRG9kbywgd2FzIGEgdHJ1c3RlZCBhbGx5IG9mIGFuZCBwcm92 ZW4gbWlsaXRhcnkgY29tbWFuZGVyIGZvciBMb3VpcyBJViBhbmQgQXJjaGJpc2hvcCBBcnRh bGQgLSB0aGUgc2FtZSByZWFzb24gaGUgbGVkIHRyb29wcyBhZ2FpbnN0IFZpdHJ5IGluIDk1 MiBhbmQgUG9pdGllcnMgaW4gOTU1ICh0aGlzIGxhdHRlciBvYnZpb3VzbHkgbm90IHVuZGVy IExvdWlzIElWIGJ1dCBMb3RoYXIgaW5oZXJpdGVkIGhpcyBmYXRoZXIncyBhbGxpZXMgZHVy aW5nIGhpcyBlYXJseSB5ZWFycykuDQoNClNlZSBteSBwcmlvciBwb3N0IGFib3V0IEdpc2xl YmVydCBhbmQgdGhlIHZpc2NvdW50Y3kgb2YgUmVpbXMgLSB0aGlzIGlzIA0KZXZpZGVuY2Ug Zm9yIGp1cmlzZGljdGlvbiBpbiB0aGUgY2l0eSBhIGdlbmVyYXRpb24gYWZ0ZXIgUmVuYXVk LCBub3QgZm9yIA0KaW50ZXJmZXJlbmNlIHRoZXJlIGJ5IGEgbWFnbmF0ZSBmcm9tIHRoZSB2 aWNpbml0eS4NCg0KUGV0ZXIgU3Rld2FydA0K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fraser McNair@21:1/5 to but it's been years since I read it on Thu Dec 2 16:21:54 2021
    <snip>

I mentioned in an earlier post that under 925 Flodoard said King Rodulf pursued Ragenold in Burgundy with soldiers from Reims - I don't suppose
    he took them via the Loire valley. Viking raiders were not confined to established bases.

Ralph probably did lead them against a fleet based on the Loire, actually, or close enough to. The most obvious interpretation of Rognvald's activities in 924/5 is that the 'leader of the Northmen who dwelled on the Loire' raided Hugh the Great's lands
    from the Loire, then made peace with Hugh and William the Younger (south of the Loire) to go to Burgundy - i.e., continue down the Loire, from when he carried out the raids which ultimately led to the defeat at Chauont. Whether or not this supposition is
    right, though, the point is that there's no connection between Rognvald and Rheims at all.

These Reginars were father and son - your argument, to which I was
    directly responding, was that "there really is no reason whatsoever to connect the Viking leader Rognvald with Ragenold of Roucy". As for
    clarity, why do you think historians have debated whether Flodoard
    referred to one Ragenold or two if his intention is clear?

...Honestly? Historiographically speaking, as far as I can tell, because Henri de Moranville came up with a wrong argument and his article on Ragenold of Roucy was the go-to for long enough that it became embedded even though there's no good reason for
    it. There might be a longer history to that particular identification; but ultimately it doesn't really matter whether or not nineteenth-century historians were confused or not (and I will say that this is not a live question in modern scholarship) -
    Flodoard clearly had no reason to think that his contemporaries would be confused by two people with the same names when they were from completely different backgrounds several decades apart. This was the point of bringing up the Reginars - Flodoard
    doesn't distinguish between them even though they _were_ related and active in the same place, because they were far apart enough chronologically that it didn't matter. A similar case is his Count Bernards: he doesn't distinguish between the Count
    Bernard of 933 and the two Count Bernards of 945, even though the 933 Bernard cannot have been both, presumably because the distinction would have been entirely evident to a tenth-century audience.

Vercauteren didn't object to the Cluny charter - he didn't mention it:
    that is why I wrote "would have rejected ...". He also did not notice
    that the chronicle of Saint-Pierre-le-Vif (written 1108/9) had copied
    the title "count of Reims" from the earlier Sens history (written
    1015/34) in another passage that he omitted, and that this was also
    copied in a third source written later at Sens. He thought that these authors were writing far from Reims and from their distance lumped Reims
    and Roucy together, neglecting that Renaud had briefly held Sens in 945 before being chased out as misrepresented by Munier.

You know, I didn't _think_ Vercauteren knew that charter, but it's been years since I read it and I don't have it on hand to check. Like I originally said, personally I'm happy that, at some point, Ragenold of Roucy was at one point or another called '
    count of Rheims', but I also think it's pretty evident that his nominal administrative jurisdiction was a secondary part of his authority.

See my prior post about Gislebert and the viscountcy of Reims - this is evidence for jurisdiction in the city a generation after Renaud, not for interference there by a magnate from the vicinity.

The _Libellus discordiae_, a twelfth-century polemical text complete with twelfth-century style _comitatus_ and _vicecomitatus_, clearly in context reified financial rights treated as property rather than Carolingian-style jurisdictions, has its limits
    as a guide to tenth century conditions. The monks who wrote it had their own concerns and their own understandings of centuries past which made Gislebert's holding of specific _comitatus_ rights important to them. Personally, I am rather happier to note
    that when an exact contemporary, Flodoard, described Ragenold, he saw him as a _comes Ludowici_ - that is, a man whose authority fundamentally rested on closeness to the king rather than nominal jurisdiction. Like I say, I'm quite happy to accept that
    Ragenold, at some points in his career, was count of Rheims - I wouldn't have brought up that Cluny charter otherwise - but splitting hairs, like Vercauteren, over whether or not he was or was not count of 'place X' or 'place Y', isn't the most useful
    way of understanding his political position.

F

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 3 14:06:42 2021
    T24gMDMtRGVjLTIxIDExOjIxIEFNLCBGcmFzZXIgTWNOYWlyIHdyb3RlOg0KPiA8c25pcD4N Cj4gDQo+PiBJIG1lbnRpb25lZCBpbiBhbiBlYXJsaWVyIHBvc3QgdGhhdCB1bmRlciA5MjUg RmxvZG9hcmQgc2FpZCBLaW5nIFJvZHVsZg0KPj4gcHVyc3VlZCBSYWdlbm9sZCBpbiBCdXJn dW5keSB3aXRoIHNvbGRpZXJzIGZyb20gUmVpbXMgLSBJIGRvbid0IHN1cHBvc2UNCj4+IGhl IHRvb2sgdGhlbSB2aWEgdGhlIExvaXJlIHZhbGxleS4gVmlraW5nIHJhaWRlcnMgd2VyZSBu b3QgY29uZmluZWQgdG8NCj4+IGVzdGFibGlzaGVkIGJhc2VzLg0KPiANCj4gUmFscGggcHJv YmFibHkgZGlkIGxlYWQgdGhlbSBhZ2FpbnN0IGEgZmxlZXQgYmFzZWQgb24gdGhlIExvaXJl LCBhY3R1YWxseSwgb3IgY2xvc2UgZW5vdWdoIHRvLiBUaGUgbW9zdCBvYnZpb3VzIGludGVy cHJldGF0aW9uIG9mIFJvZ252YWxkJ3MgYWN0aXZpdGllcyBpbiA5MjQvNSBpcyB0aGF0IHRo ZSAnbGVhZGVyIG9mIHRoZSBOb3J0aG1lbiB3aG8gZHdlbGxlZCBvbiB0aGUgTG9pcmUnIHJh aWRlZCBIdWdoIHRoZSBHcmVhdCdzIGxhbmRzIGZyb20gdGhlIExvaXJlLCB0aGVuIG1hZGUg cGVhY2Ugd2l0aCBIdWdoIGFuZCBXaWxsaWFtIHRoZSBZb3VuZ2VyIChzb3V0aCBvZiB0aGUg TG9pcmUpIHRvIGdvIHRvIEJ1cmd1bmR5IC0gaS5lLiwgY29udGludWUgZG93biB0aGUgTG9p cmUsIGZyb20gd2hlbiBoZSBjYXJyaWVkIG91dCB0aGUgcmFpZHMgd2hpY2ggdWx0aW1hdGVs eSBsZWQgdG8gdGhlIGRlZmVhdCBhdCBDaGF1b250LiBXaGV0aGVyIG9yIG5vdCB0aGlzIHN1 cHBvc2l0aW9uIGlzIHJpZ2h0LCB0aG91Z2gsIHRoZSBwb2ludCBpcyB0aGF0IHRoZXJlJ3Mg bm8gY29ubmVjdGlvbiBiZXR3ZWVuIFJvZ252YWxkIGFuZCBSaGVpbXMgYXQgYWxsLg0KDQpT byB3aHkgd291bGQgUmFvdWwgcmVseSBvbiBzb2xkaWVyeSBvZiB0aGUgUmVpbXMgYXJjaGRp b2Nlc2UgKCJtaWxpdGlidXMgDQpzY2lsaWNldCBSZW1lbnNpcyBhZWNjbGVzaWFlIikgaWYg dGhlaXIgaG9tZSBoYWQgbm90IGJlZW4gbWVuYWNlZCBieSANClJhZ2Vub2xkPyBJIGRvdWJ0 IHRoYXQgdGhpcyB3YXMgaGFwaGF6YXJkLiBVbmxlc3MgeW91IGNvbnNpZGVyIHRoYXQgdGhl IA0KZmlyc3QgUmFnZW5vbGQgd2FzIG9mIHN1Y2ggbWFqb3IgY29uY2VybiB0aHJvdWdob3V0 IEZyYW5jaWEgdGhhdCBtZW4gDQpmcm9tIGFueXdoZXJlIG1pZ2h0IGJlIGNhbGxlZCBvbiB0 byBjaGFzZSBoaW0gZG93biBhbmQgdGhlcmVmb3JlIGhlIA0KbWlnaHQgYmUgZXhwZWN0ZWQg dG8gc2hvdyB1cCBpbiBzb3VyY2VzIHdpdGggYSBicm9hZGVyIG9yIGRpZmZlcmVudCANCnB1 cnZpZXcgdGhhbiBGbG9kb2FyZCdzIHdyaXR0ZW4gYXQgUmVpbXMsIEkgY2FuJ3Qgc2VlIHdo eSB5b3UgYXJlIA0KaW5zaXN0aW5nIG9uIHRoaXMuDQoNCj4+IFRoZXNlIFJlZ2luYXJzIHdl cmUgZmF0aGVyIGFuZCBzb24gLSB5b3VyIGFyZ3VtZW50LCB0byB3aGljaCBJIHdhcw0KPj4g ZGlyZWN0bHkgcmVzcG9uZGluZywgd2FzIHRoYXQgInRoZXJlIHJlYWxseSBpcyBubyByZWFz b24gd2hhdHNvZXZlciB0bw0KPj4gY29ubmVjdCB0aGUgVmlraW5nIGxlYWRlciBSb2dudmFs ZCB3aXRoIFJhZ2Vub2xkIG9mIFJvdWN5Ii4gQXMgZm9yDQo+PiBjbGFyaXR5LCB3aHkgZG8g eW91IHRoaW5rIGhpc3RvcmlhbnMgaGF2ZSBkZWJhdGVkIHdoZXRoZXIgRmxvZG9hcmQNCj4+ IHJlZmVycmVkIHRvIG9uZSBSYWdlbm9sZCBvciB0d28gaWYgaGlzIGludGVudGlvbiBpcyBj bGVhcj8NCj4gDQo+IA0KPiAuLi5Ib25lc3RseT8gSGlzdG9yaW9ncmFwaGljYWxseSBzcGVh a2luZywgYXMgZmFyIGFzIEkgY2FuIHRlbGwsIGJlY2F1c2UgSGVucmkgZGUgTW9yYW52aWxs ZSBjYW1lIHVwIHdpdGggYSB3cm9uZyBhcmd1bWVudCBhbmQgaGlzIGFydGljbGUgb24gUmFn ZW5vbGQgb2YgUm91Y3kgd2FzIHRoZSBnby10byBmb3IgbG9uZyBlbm91Z2ggdGhhdCBpdCBi ZWNhbWUgZW1iZWRkZWQgZXZlbiB0aG91Z2ggdGhlcmUncyBubyBnb29kIHJlYXNvbiBmb3Ig aXQuIFRoZXJlIG1pZ2h0IGJlIGEgbG9uZ2VyIGhpc3RvcnkgdG8gdGhhdCBwYXJ0aWN1bGFy IGlkZW50aWZpY2F0aW9uOyBidXQgdWx0aW1hdGVseSBpdCBkb2Vzbid0IHJlYWxseSBtYXR0 ZXIgd2hldGhlciBvciBub3QgbmluZXRlZW50aC1jZW50dXJ5IGhpc3RvcmlhbnMgd2VyZSBj b25mdXNlZCBvciBub3QgKGFuZCBJIHdpbGwgc2F5IHRoYXQgdGhpcyBpcyBub3QgYSBsaXZl IHF1ZXN0aW9uIGluIG1vZGVybiBzY2hvbGFyc2hpcCkgLSBGbG9kb2FyZCBjbGVhcmx5IGhh ZCBubyByZWFzb24gdG8gdGhpbmsgdGhhdCBoaXMgY29udGVtcG9yYXJpZXMgd291bGQgYmUg Y29uZnVzZWQgYnkgdHdvIHBlb3BsZSB3aXRoIHRoZSBzYW1lIG5hbWVzIHdoZW4gdGhleSB3 ZXJlIGZyb20gY29tcGxldGVseSBkaWZmZXJlbnQgYmFja2dyb3VuZHMgc2V2ZXJhbCBkZWNh ZGVzIGFwYXJ0LiBUaGlzIHdhcyB0aGUgcG9pbnQgb2YgYnJpbmdpbmcgdXAgdGhlIFJlZ2lu YXJzIC0gRmxvZG9hcmQgZG9lc24ndCBkaXN0aW5ndWlzaCBiZXR3ZWVuIHRoZW0gZXZlbiB0 aG91Z2ggdGhleSBfd2VyZV8gcmVsYXRlZCBhbmQgYWN0aXZlIGluIHRoZSBzYW1lIHBsYWNl LCBiZWNhdXNlIHRoZXkgd2VyZSBmYXIgYXBhcnQgZW5vdWdoIGNocm9ub2xvZ2ljYWxseSB0 aGF0IGl0IGRpZG4ndCBtYXR0ZXIuIEEgc2ltaWxhciBjYXNlIGlzIGhpcyBDb3VudCBCZXJu YXJkczogaGUgZG9lc24ndCBkaXN0aW5ndWlzaCBiZXR3ZWVuIHRoZSBDb3VudCBCZXJuYXJk IG9mIDkzMyBhbmQgdGhlIHR3byBDb3VudCBCZXJuYXJkcyBvZiA5NDUsIGV2ZW4gdGhvdWdo IHRoZSA5MzMgQmVybmFyZCBjYW5ub3QgaGF2ZSBiZWVuIGJvdGgsIHByZXN1bWFibHkgYmVj YXVzZSB0aGUgZGlzdGluY3Rpb24gd291bGQgaGF2ZSBiZWVuIGVudGlyZWx5IGV2aWRlbnQg dG8gYSB0ZW50aC1jZW50dXJ5IGF1ZGllbmNlLg0KDQpBbmQgRmxvZG9hcmQgaXMgc28gY2xl YXIgYW91dCB0aGlzIHRoYXQgdGhlIEJlcm5hcmRzIGhhdmUgbmV2ZXIgYmVlbiANCmNvbmNs dXNpdmVseSBzb3J0ZWQgb3V0Li4uDQoNClRoZSBpZGVudGlmaWNhdGlvbiBvZiBSYWdlbm9s ZCB0aGUgcmFpZGVyIGNoaWVmIHdpdGggUmVuYXVkIHRoZSBjb3VudCANCndhcyBtYWRlIGJ5 IE1lbGxldmlsbGUgYmVmb3JlIE1vcmFudmlsbMOpLiBZb3UgYXJlIGFyZ3VpbmcgaW4gYW4g DQp1bmJlY29taW5nbHkgZWdvY2VudHJpYyBjaXJjbGUgaW4gYXNzZXJ0aW5nIHRoYXQgRmxv ZG9hcmQgY2xlYXJseSBtZWFudCANCmp1c3Qgd2hhdCB5b3UgdGFrZSBoaW0gdG8gbWVhbiBh bmQgbm90aGluZyBlbHNlLiBJIGFncmVlIHRoYXQgdGhlcmUgd2VyZSANCm1vc3QgcHJvYmFi bHkgdHdvIGRpc3RpbmN0IFJhZ2Vub2xkcywgYnV0IG15IGFncmVlbWVudCBkb2Vzbid0IG1h a2UgaXQgDQpmYWN0dWFsbHkgc28gYW55IG1vcmUgdGhhbiBkb2VzIHlvdXIgcmVhZGluZyBv ZiBGbG9kb2FyZCdzIHRob3VnaHRzLiANClNjaHdlbm5pY2tlIGFuZCBvdGhlcnMgaGF2ZSBt dWNoIG1vcmUgcmVjZW50bHkgdGFrZW4sIGFuZCBwcm9wYWdhdGVkLCBhIA0KZGlmZmVyZW50 IHZpZXcuDQoNCj4+IFZlcmNhdXRlcmVuIGRpZG4ndCBvYmplY3QgdG8gdGhlIENsdW55IGNo YXJ0ZXIgLSBoZSBkaWRuJ3QgbWVudGlvbiBpdDoNCj4+IHRoYXQgaXMgd2h5IEkgd3JvdGUg IndvdWxkIGhhdmUgcmVqZWN0ZWQgLi4uIi4gSGUgYWxzbyBkaWQgbm90IG5vdGljZQ0KPj4g dGhhdCB0aGUgY2hyb25pY2xlIG9mIFNhaW50LVBpZXJyZS1sZS1WaWYgKHdyaXR0ZW4gMTEw OC85KSBoYWQgY29waWVkDQo+PiB0aGUgdGl0bGUgImNvdW50IG9mIFJlaW1zIiBmcm9tIHRo ZSBlYXJsaWVyIFNlbnMgaGlzdG9yeSAod3JpdHRlbg0KPj4gMTAxNS8zNCkgaW4gYW5vdGhl ciBwYXNzYWdlIHRoYXQgaGUgb21pdHRlZCwgYW5kIHRoYXQgdGhpcyB3YXMgYWxzbw0KPj4g Y29waWVkIGluIGEgdGhpcmQgc291cmNlIHdyaXR0ZW4gbGF0ZXIgYXQgU2Vucy4gSGUgdGhv dWdodCB0aGF0IHRoZXNlDQo+PiBhdXRob3JzIHdlcmUgd3JpdGluZyBmYXIgZnJvbSBSZWlt cyBhbmQgZnJvbSB0aGVpciBkaXN0YW5jZSBsdW1wZWQgUmVpbXMNCj4+IGFuZCBSb3VjeSB0 b2dldGhlciwgbmVnbGVjdGluZyB0aGF0IFJlbmF1ZCBoYWQgYnJpZWZseSBoZWxkIFNlbnMg aW4gOTQ1DQo+PiBiZWZvcmUgYmVpbmcgY2hhc2VkIG91dCBhcyBtaXNyZXByZXNlbnRlZCBi eSBNdW5pZXIuDQo+IA0KPiBZb3Uga25vdywgSSBkaWRuJ3QgX3RoaW5rXyBWZXJjYXV0ZXJl biBrbmV3IHRoYXQgY2hhcnRlciwgYnV0IGl0J3MgYmVlbiB5ZWFycyBzaW5jZSBJIHJlYWQg aXQgYW5kIEkgZG9uJ3QgaGF2ZSBpdCBvbiBoYW5kIHRvIGNoZWNrLiBMaWtlIEkgb3JpZ2lu YWxseSBzYWlkLCBwZXJzb25hbGx5IEknbSBoYXBweSB0aGF0LCBhdCBzb21lIHBvaW50LCBS YWdlbm9sZCBvZiBSb3VjeSB3YXMgYXQgb25lIHBvaW50IG9yIGFub3RoZXIgY2FsbGVkICdj b3VudCBvZiBSaGVpbXMnLCBidXQgSSBhbHNvIHRoaW5rIGl0J3MgcHJldHR5IGV2aWRlbnQg dGhhdCBoaXMgbm9taW5hbCBhZG1pbmlzdHJhdGl2ZSBqdXJpc2RpY3Rpb24gd2FzIGEgc2Vj b25kYXJ5IHBhcnQgb2YgaGlzIGF1dGhvcml0eS4NCj4gDQo+PiBTZWUgbXkgcHJpb3IgcG9z dCBhYm91dCBHaXNsZWJlcnQgYW5kIHRoZSB2aXNjb3VudGN5IG9mIFJlaW1zIC0gdGhpcyBp cw0KPj4gZXZpZGVuY2UgZm9yIGp1cmlzZGljdGlvbiBpbiB0aGUgY2l0eSBhIGdlbmVyYXRp b24gYWZ0ZXIgUmVuYXVkLCBub3QgZm9yDQo+PiBpbnRlcmZlcmVuY2UgdGhlcmUgYnkgYSBt YWduYXRlIGZyb20gdGhlIHZpY2luaXR5Lg0KPiANCj4gVGhlIF9MaWJlbGx1cyBkaXNjb3Jk aWFlXywgYSB0d2VsZnRoLWNlbnR1cnkgcG9sZW1pY2FsIHRleHQgY29tcGxldGUgd2l0aCB0 d2VsZnRoLWNlbnR1cnkgc3R5bGUgX2NvbWl0YXR1c18gYW5kIF92aWNlY29taXRhdHVzXywg Y2xlYXJseSBpbiBjb250ZXh0IHJlaWZpZWQgZmluYW5jaWFsIHJpZ2h0cyB0cmVhdGVkIGFz IHByb3BlcnR5IHJhdGhlciB0aGFuIENhcm9saW5naWFuLXN0eWxlIGp1cmlzZGljdGlvbnMs IGhhcyBpdHMgbGltaXRzIGFzIGEgZ3VpZGUgdG8gdGVudGggY2VudHVyeSBjb25kaXRpb25z LiBUaGUgbW9ua3Mgd2hvIHdyb3RlIGl0IGhhZCB0aGVpciBvd24gY29uY2VybnMgYW5kIHRo ZWlyIG93biB1bmRlcnN0YW5kaW5ncyBvZiBjZW50dXJpZXMgcGFzdCB3aGljaCBtYWRlIEdp c2xlYmVydCdzIGhvbGRpbmcgb2Ygc3BlY2lmaWMgX2NvbWl0YXR1c18gcmlnaHRzIGltcG9y dGFudCB0byB0aGVtLiBQZXJzb25hbGx5LCBJIGFtIHJhdGhlciBoYXBwaWVyIHRvIG5vdGUg dGhhdCB3aGVuIGFuIGV4YWN0IGNvbnRlbXBvcmFyeSwgRmxvZG9hcmQsIGRlc2NyaWJlZCBS YWdlbm9sZCwgaGUgc2F3IGhpbSBhcyBhIF9jb21lcyBMdWRvd2ljaV8gLSB0aGF0IGlzLCBh IG1hbiB3aG9zZSBhdXRob3JpdHkgZnVuZGFtZW50YWxseSByZXN0ZWQgb24gY2xvc2VuZXNz IHRvIHRoZSBraW5nIHJhdGhlciB0aGFuIG5vbWluYWwganVyaXNkaWN0aW9uLiBMaWtlIEkg c2F5LCBJJ20gcXVpdGUgaGFwcHkgdG8gYWNjZXB0IHRoYXQgUmFnZW5vbGQsIGF0IHNvbWUg cG9pbnRzIGluIGhpcyBjYXJlZXIsIHdhcyBjb3VudCBvZiBSaGVpbXMgLSBJIHdvdWxkbid0 IGhhdmUgYnJvdWdodCB1cCB0aGF0IENsdW55IGNoYXJ0ZXIgb3RoZXJ3aXNlIC0gYnV0IHNw bGl0dGluZyBoYWlycywgbGlrZSBWZXJjYXV0ZXJlbiwgb3ZlciB3aGV0aGVyIG9yIG5vdCBo ZSB3YXMgb3Igd2FzIG5vdCBjb3VudCBvZiAncGxhY2UgWCcgb3IgJ3BsYWNlIFknLCBpc24n dCB0aGUgbW9zdCB1c2VmdWwgd2F5IG9mIHVuZGVyc3RhbmRpbmcgaGlzIHBvbGl0aWNhbCBw b3NpdGlvbi4NCg0KTWljaGVsIEJ1ciB1bmRlcnN0b29kIGZyb20gdGhlIFNhaW50LVJlbWkg c2lkZSBvZiB0aGUgY29udHJvdmVyc3kgdGhhdCANCkdpc2xlYmVydCB3YXMgdmlzY291bnQg b2YgUmVpbXMsIHRob3VnaCBpdCBzZWVtcyB0byBtZSBoZSB3YXMgY291bnQgKGFzIA0KdGl0 bGVkIGluIHRoZSBzb3VyY2UpIHdoZW4gZGl2aWRpbmcgdGhlIHZpc2NvdW50Y3kgaW4gaGFs ZiAtIGlmIHRoZSANCnN0b3J5IGlzIHRydWUuDQoNCkJ1ciB0aG91Z2h0IHRoYXQgdGhlIGVs ZGVyIFJlbmF1ZCB3YXMgZmF0aGVyIChieSBhIGZpcnN0IHdpZmUpIG9mIGNvdW50IA0KV2Fs ZHJpYyBvZiBTb2lzc29ucyBhbmQgKGJ5IGEgc2Vjb25kKSBvZiBjb3VudCBSZW5hdWQgb2Yg Um91Y3ksIA0KYWNjb3VudGluZyBmb3IgdGhlIGNvdXNpbiByZWxhdGlvbnNoaXAgYmV0d2Vl biBiaXNob3AgQnJ1bm8gb2YgTGFuZ3JlcyANCmFuZCBjb3VudCBHdXkgb2YgU29pc3NvbnMs IGFuZCBhbHNvIHRoYXQgV2FsZHJpYyB3YXMgcGVyaGFwcyByZWxhdGVkIHRvIA0KdGhlIGNv dW50cyBvZiBBbmpvdS4gVGhlIGxhc3QgaXMgYSB3ZWFrIGNhc2UgYmFzZWQgb25seSBvbiBo aXMgDQpzdWJzY3JpYmluZywgYWxvbmcgd2l0aCBjb3VudCBHZW9mZnJveSBHcmlzZWdvbmVs bGUncyB1bmNsZSBiaXNob3AgR3V5IA0Kb2YgU29pc3NvbnMsIGFuIHVuZGF0ZWQgY2hhcnRl ciByZWZvcm1pbmcgYW4gQW5nZXZpbiBhYmJleSBhcHBhcmVudGx5IA0KaXNzdWVkIG9uIDE5 IEp1bmUgaW4gZWl0aGVyIDk2NiBvciAobW9yZSBwcm9iYWJseSkgOTYzLg0KDQpQZXRlciBT dGV3YXJ0DQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Fri Dec 3 15:04:05 2021
    On 02-Dec-21 4:31 PM, Peter Stewart wrote:

<snip>

Vercauteren offered no reason why Renaud, and explicitly titled count
    and owning Roucy (approximately 25 kms from Reims) could not have been effectively advocate of the archdiocese and principal feudatory of the archbishop, whether or not he was ever formally titled count 'of Reims'.
    In a similar way, for instance, Immed IV was diocesan count of Utrecht a
    few decades later - arrangements such as this were more common in
    Lotharingia than in Francia, but not unexampled as Vercauteren
    arbitrarily supposed.

It is notable in this context that Richer named a 'Ragenerus Remensium vicedominus' at the synod of Mouzon in 995, here (lines 11-12) https://www.dmgh.de/mgh_ss_38/index.htm#page/300/mode/1up - in other
    words, a vidame exercising comital powers for the archbishop. Whether or
    not such an office had been instituted some 50 years earlier, and held
    then by count Renaud, the practice of delegating authority to a layman
    was hardly as unthinkable after the grant of 940 as Vercauteren supposed.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Fri Dec 3 16:09:32 2021
    On 03-Dec-21 2:06 PM, Peter Stewart wrote:

<snip>

Bur thought that the elder Renaud was father (by a first wife) of count Waldric of Soissons and (by a second) of count Renaud of Roucy,
    accounting for the cousin relationship between bishop Bruno of Langres
    and count Guy of Soissons, and also that Waldric was perhaps related to
    the counts of Anjou. The last is a weak case based only on his
    subscribing, along with count Geoffroy Grisegonelle's uncle bishop Guy
    of Soissons, an undated charter reforming an Angevin abbey apparently
    issued on 19 June in either 966 or (more probably) 963.

I hadn't noticed before how widespread is the dating of this important
    charter to 966 - Olivier Guillot in /Le comte d'Anjou et son entourage
    au XIe siècle/ (1972) and many historians since have accepted without
    question the dating explanation given in /Cartulaire de l'abbaye de
    Saint-Aubin d'Angers/, vol. 1 (1896), p. 4 no. 2 note 2, following the frequently inaccurate annals of the abbey under 966 stating that on 19
    June in that year the canons were replaced by monks ("De monasterio
    Sancti Albini canonici sunt ejecti et monachi sunt intromissi XIII
    kalendas julii"). This was the business of the charter in question.

However, the editor had apparently forgotten a charter of the first
    regular abbot, Widbold (named as newly-appointed in the charter
    subscribed by Waldric) that is dated May 964 (vol. 1 pp. 326-327 no.
    285: "Widboldus, abba ex monasterio Sancti Albini ... Data mense maio,
    anno decimo regnante Hlothario rege").

The annalist for this period, evidently working at the end of the 10th
    century, or more likely a later copyist probably misread the year 963, 'DCCCCLXIII', as if ending with 'VI' instead of 'III'.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Fri Dec 3 20:21:13 2021
    On 03-Dec-21 8:21 AM, Peter Stewart wrote:
    <big snip>

Beyond the fact they've got a version of the same name, there really
    is no reason whatsoever to connect the Viking leader Rognvald with
    Ragenold of Roucy. Rognvald's career is pretty straightforward - he
    shows up on the Loire c. 920, is omnipresent in Flodoard's annals for
    about five years, then leads his host into a battle at Chaumont, is
    crushed, and utterly disappears. It's almost certain he's killed.
    Ragenold of Roucy shows up two decades later with the same name,  but
    by the same token so does, say, Viscount Rainald of Aubusson.

the original Norse name may have been Ragnvald, following a pattern of baptism with a vaguely similar or alliterative name (e.g. Rollo/Robert). Flodoard distinguished between some namesakes, for instance by the use
    mistranscription of Abbas), but gave no indication of this in the
    occurrences of Ragenold/s except in the change between calling one
    leader of the Northmen ("princeps Nordmannorum") and the other "comes" without a territorial designation (that was anyway not usually stated

Interestingly, Flodoard himself used the form Rainaldus for an earlier
    count of this name, plainly a Frank, who had correspondence with
    archbishop Hincmar (between 845 & 882) about property of the Reims
    archdiocese that had been recovered from plunderers, see here (lines
    12-13): https://www.dmgh.de/mgh_ss_36/index.htm#page/343/mode/1up.

According to the editor (note 90) nothing more is known about this count.

Reims of course had long been a favoured target of Vikings, and Hincmar
    died in 882 while taking refuge from an attack on the city. Louis IV
    while residing there in 945 raised a force of Normans to ravage
    Vermandois, so they can't have been based too far away at that time.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Fri Dec 3 20:35:18 2021
    On 03-Dec-21 8:21 PM, Peter Stewart wrote:
    On 03-Dec-21 8:21 AM, Peter Stewart wrote:
    <big snip>

Beyond the fact they've got a version of the same name, there really
    is no reason whatsoever to connect the Viking leader Rognvald with
    Ragenold of Roucy. Rognvald's career is pretty straightforward - he
    shows up on the Loire c. 920, is omnipresent in Flodoard's annals for
    about five years, then leads his host into a battle at Chaumont, is
    crushed, and utterly disappears. It's almost certain he's killed.
    Ragenold of Roucy shows up two decades later with the same name,  but
    by the same token so does, say, Viscount Rainald of Aubusson.

Ragenolds appear within two decades of each other. Also the
    orthography used for both by Flodoard (Ragenoldus, rather than
    Rainaldus that was more frequent in the mid-10th century) has been
    taken to suggest that the original Norse name may have been Ragnvald,
    following a pattern of baptism with a vaguely similar or alliterative
    name (e.g. Rollo/Robert). Flodoard distinguished between some
    namesakes, for instance by the use of second names (such as Albus for
    Hugo Magnus, possibly a mistranscription of Abbas), but gave no
    indication of this in the occurrences of Ragenold/s except in the
    change between calling one leader of the Northmen ("princeps
    Nordmannorum") and the other "comes" without a territorial designation
    (that was anyway not usually stated for counts in his time, as you
    point out).

archbishop Hincmar (between 845 & 882) about property of the Reims archdiocese that had been recovered from plunderers, see here (lines

And see the index (here: https://www.dmgh.de/mgh_ss_36/index.htm#page/524/mode/1up) for four
    mentions of Renaud of Roucy, repeating information already discussed
    from the annals, each time using Ragenoldus or Ragenaldus instead of
    Rainaldus that he had earlier used for someone else. On the theory that Flodoard was always adequately clear about identities, what does this distinction indicate?

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fraser McNair@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 3 03:11:45 2021
    So why would Raoul rely on soldiery of the Reims archdiocese ("militibus scilicet Remensis aecclesiae") if their home had not been menaced by Ragenold? I doubt that this was haphazard.

The church of Rheims owed the king military service. That's why they go to Burgundy; it's why, a little later on, they go to Eu under the command of Heribert of Vermandois. Flodoard is clear that Rognvald's raiders were going back and forth over the Oise;
    he doesn't say they got anywhere near Rheims.

Unless you consider that the
    first Ragenold was of such major concern throughout Francia that men
    from anywhere might be called on to chase him down and therefore he
    might be expected to show up in sources with a broader or different
    purview than Flodoard's written at Reims

Yes, explicitly so: later in 925, Ralph issued the general call-out of the kingdom's army. This makes sense: at this point Rognvald is a threat to the kingdom's security who has menaced a fair chunk of the realm, including Artois, Neustria and Burgundy -
    but not the area around Rheims.

As for expecting him to show up in other contemporary sources - it would be remarkable if he did, given Flodoard is the _only_ contemporary narrative from the West Frankish kingdom during these decades. In terms of near contemporary sources, though, he
    does actually appear in the _Miracula Sancti Benedicti_ of Aimoin of Fleury, where he seems to have left a memory as threatening as Flodoard shows him to have been at the time.

And Flodoard is so clear aout this that the Bernards have never been conclusively sorted out...

Precisely - they're not clear to _us_. My point is part of the reason they're not clear to us is because a contemporary reader would have known who Flodoard was talking about without him having to distinguish in the way he does between, e.g., the
    different Hughs all active at the same time.

The identification of Ragenold the raider chief with Renaud the count
    was made by Melleville before Moranvillé. You are arguing in an unbecomingly egocentric circle in asserting that Flodoard clearly meant
    just what you take him to mean and nothing else.

Speaking of unbecoming, let's leave out the personal attacks. There are plenty of good, scholarly reasons not to be convinced by this weak, weak identification.

archbishop Hincmar (between 845 & 882) about property of the Reims archdiocese that had been recovered from plunderers, see here (lines

That's not strictly accurate. This part of Flodoard's _Historia Remensis Ecclesiae_ is a summary of a letter of Archbishop Hincmar, and so 'Rainaldus' is coming straight from the source (a quick check of Hincmar's work does indeed show that he normally
    uses 'Rain-' for that particular radical, as in his letter to Bishop Hildebold of Soissons or his Opuscules concerning Hincmar of Laon). Flodoard seems to do this with his orthography in the _Historia_ - so, for instance, the name 'Adalgar' is '
    Adalgarius' when he's copying from Archbishop Hincmar's letters and 'Adalgerius' when copying from Archbishop Fulk's.

However, bringing in the _Historia_ isn't relevant to what Flodoard does in the _Annals_, which is the text under discussion. There, he uses 'Ragen-' or 'Ragin-' for that particular radical (thus, 'Ragenarius', 'Ragenardus') in every case. With that in
    mind, within his annals he makes relevant distinctions between people who could be confused (e.g. 939, where he does distinguish between 'Hugh son of Richard', 'Hugh son of Robert', and 'Hugh the Cisalpine' because it's important to know which Hugh is
    which), and does not bother doing so between people whom none of his readers would confuse (so, for instance, he does not distinguish between 'Ralph bishop of Laon' [meaning Ralph I] and 'Ralph bishop of Laon' [meaning Ralph II]; or any of the different
    Pope Johns).

Rheims had indeed been under attack from Vikings in the 880s, and that's about it. Not exactly a 'favoured target' for Northman fleets. As for Louis' Northman army in 945, at the time he had just taken control of Rouen, and was actively fighting Hugh the
    Great over which of them got to rule (what later became) Normandy. These particular Northmen come from his newly acquired Rouennais supporters and have no bearing on Ragenold's background.

Let's bring this back to first principles. Being as even-handed as possible, here is the evidence for the Viking raider Rognvald being the same as Ragenold of Roucy:

1) They have the same name.
    2) Flodoard does not explicitly say that they are different people.

Against the identification:

1) They lived decades apart.
    2) They operated in different areas of the kingdom.
    3) No source says they are the same person. This is especially significant because:
    4) Flodoard had a chip on his shoulder about Normans - thus, the Romance-speaking, Christian, born-in-Gaul Counts of Rouen William Longsword and Richard the Fearless are always identified as 'Northmen' - but Ragenold isn't.

Quite frankly, points 3) and 4) against seems redundant when comparing points 1) and 2) against with point 1) for. Tenth-century figures can be arbitrarily combined or separated at leisure, but to do so on such a flimsy basis adds nothing useful or
    evidentially based to our understanding of the period.

F

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Fraser McNair on Sat Dec 4 09:55:29 2021
    On 03-Dec-21 10:11 PM, Fraser McNair wrote:
    So why would Raoul rely on soldiery of the Reims archdiocese ("militibus
    scilicet Remensis aecclesiae") if their home had not been menaced by
    Ragenold? I doubt that this was haphazard.

The church of Rheims owed the king military service. That's why they go to Burgundy; it's why, a little later on, they go to Eu under the command of Heribert of Vermandois. Flodoard is clear that Rognvald's raiders were going back and forth over the
    Oise; he doesn't say they got anywhere near Rheims.

Yes, explicitly so: later in 925, Ralph issued the general call-out of the kingdom's army. This makes sense: at this point Rognvald is a threat to the kingdom's security who has menaced a fair chunk of the realm, including Artois, Neustria and Burgundy
    - but not the area around Rheims.

As for expecting him to show up in other contemporary sources - it would be remarkable if he did, given Flodoard is the _only_ contemporary narrative from the West Frankish kingdom during these decades. In terms of near contemporary sources, though, he
    does actually appear in the _Miracula Sancti Benedicti_ of Aimoin of Fleury, where he seems to have left a memory as threatening as Flodoard shows him to have been at the time.

And Flodoard is so clear aout this that the Bernards have never been
    conclusively sorted out...

Precisely - they're not clear to _us_. My point is part of the reason they're not clear to us is because a contemporary reader would have known who Flodoard was talking about without him having to distinguish in the way he does between, e.g., the
    different Hughs all active at the same time.

So on the basis of Flodoard's using the form "Ragenold" you have assumed
    that the Viking leader was indeed named Rognvald but that the evidently
    younger man for whom he used the same name form was not? Your initial
    claim was that Flodoard is perfectly clear to you and thus implicitly
    should be also to me and others today.

The identification of Ragenold the raider chief with Renaud the count
    was made by Melleville before Moranvillé. You are arguing in an
    unbecomingly egocentric circle in asserting that Flodoard clearly meant
    just what you take him to mean and nothing else.

Speaking of unbecoming, let's leave out the personal attacks. There are plenty of good, scholarly reasons not to be convinced by this weak, weak identification.

It was an observation directly on the logic of your presentation of the
    issue at hand, not a personal attack - criticism can't be deflected that easily. Saying "there are plenty [a loaded word here for several] of
    good scholarly reasons not to be convinced" of something is much more reasonable in this context than asserting as you did yesterday that
    "Beyond the fact they've got a version of the same name, there really is
    no reason whatsoever to connect the Viking leader Rognvald with Ragenold
    of Roucy". Not being convinced by a weak (once will do in rational
    debate) case and finding no reason whatsoever are somewhat different
    positions. I find the case for making Flodoard's two Ragenolds into one
    person to be weak, but it is still widely current and appealing to the authority of "modern scholarship" against "nineteenth-century
    historians" (for some of whom Flodoard obviously wasn't as clear as you
    seem to think) is not helpful to SGM readers.

The case for two distinct Ragenolds was put forward by Henri de Roussen
    de Florival in his 1907 École nationale des chartes thesis, but this is
    not readily accessible. However, having lived in the nineteenth century
    may not be a disqualification for understanding Flodoard or for taking
    careful note of chronology.

archbishop Hincmar (between 845 & 882) about property of the Reims
    archdiocese that had been recovered from plunderers, see here (lines

That's not strictly accurate. This part of Flodoard's _Historia Remensis Ecclesiae_ is a summary of a letter of Archbishop Hincmar, and so 'Rainaldus' is coming straight from the source (a quick check of Hincmar's work does indeed show that he normally
    uses 'Rain-' for that particular radical, as in his letter to Bishop Hildebold of Soissons or his Opuscules concerning Hincmar of Laon). Flodoard seems to do this with his orthography in the _Historia_ - so, for instance, the name 'Adalgar' is '
    Adalgarius' when he's copying from Archbishop Hincmar's letters and 'Adalgerius' when copying from Archbishop Fulk's.

Again, I fail to see how your opinion - however strongly it may be held
    - can render my straightforward statement "not strictly accurate".
    Flodoard wrote his history, not Hincmar. You and I, along with everyone
    else, have no way of knowing exactly what orthography was used in
    Hincmar's letter or even who had copied it in the version seen by
    Flodoard (that was presumably not an autograph retrieved from the
    recipient). My point was that the form "Rainaldus" was commonly used in
    the mid-10th century, and Flodoard wrote his history in 948. If he had
    an idiosyncratic preference for "Ragenold/Ragenald" for every Frankish occurrence and was clear to his contemporaries (as if he thought of
    himself as a journalist telling them more about people they already knew without a thought for posterity), who could he not read "Rainaldo" and
    turn this into "Ragenoldo"? Hincmar was not holy writ.

However, bringing in the _Historia_ isn't relevant to what Flodoard does in the _Annals_, which is the text under discussion. There, he uses 'Ragen-' or 'Ragin-' for that particular radical (thus, 'Ragenarius', 'Ragenardus') in every case. With that in
    mind, within his annals he makes relevant distinctions between people who could be confused (e.g. 939, where he does distinguish between 'Hugh son of Richard', 'Hugh son of Robert', and 'Hugh the Cisalpine' because it's important to know which Hugh is
    which), and does not bother doing so between people whom none of his readers would confuse (so, for instance, he does not distinguish between 'Ralph bishop of Laon' [meaning Ralph I] and 'Ralph bishop of Laon' [meaning Ralph II]; or any of the different
    Pope Johns).

He certainly made such a distinction with the name Charles, adding
    Constantine to distinguish one who is never elsewhere called by that
    name - and yet "modern scholarship" has made a genealogical dog's
    breakfast out of this.

Rheims had indeed been under attack from Vikings in the 880s, and that's about it. Not exactly a 'favoured target' for Northman fleets. As for Louis' Northman army in 945, at the time he had just taken control of Rouen, and was actively fighting Hugh
    the Great over which of them got to rule (what later became) Normandy. These particular Northmen come from his newly acquired Rouennais supporters and have no bearing on Ragenold's background.

Attacks in February 880, November 882 and the winter of 886-887 seem to
    me evidence for interest in Reims that can be termed longstanding from
    the perspective of the third decade in the next century. Where in the
    course of four words ("collecto secum Nortmannorum exercitu") does
    Flodoard clearly specify that this force used by Louis against
    Vermandois had come across from Rouen?

Let's bring this back to first principles. Being as even-handed as possible, here is the evidence for the Viking raider Rognvald being the same as Ragenold of Roucy:

1) They have the same name.
    2) Flodoard does not explicitly say that they are different people.

Against the identification:

1) They lived decades apart.
    2) They operated in different areas of the kingdom.
    3) No source says they are the same person. This is especially significant because:
    4) Flodoard had a chip on his shoulder about Normans - thus, the Romance-speaking, Christian, born-in-Gaul Counts of Rouen William Longsword and Richard the Fearless are always identified as 'Northmen' - but Ragenold isn't.

Quite frankly, points 3) and 4) against seems redundant when comparing points 1) and 2) against with point 1) for. Tenth-century figures can be arbitrarily combined or separated at leisure, but to do so on such a flimsy basis adds nothing useful or
    evidentially based to our understanding of the period.

Your understanding of Flodoard evidently does not lead to a full
    understanding of my point in this exchange. I am not arguing for the identification of the 920s Ragenold with the 940s namesake, but just acknowledging that this is still a current and (although barely) tenable
    view. For instance, interested SGM readers are likely to find it
    acknowledged (in a slightly more positive way than I would put it) in
    the Henry Project page for Renaud of Roucy here: https://fasg.org/projects/henryproject/data/ragen000.htm ("This
    identification is possible, but uncertain.") I would be more inclined to
    say "not impossible, but highly implausible".

However, my point in the context of your "no reason whatsoever to
    connect the Viking leader Rognvald with Ragenold of Roucy" is to
    distinguish between identifying two people as one man and connecting
    them to each other.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Fraser McNair on Sat Dec 4 15:34:53 2021
    On 03-Dec-21 11:21 AM, Fraser McNair wrote:
    <snip>

I mentioned in an earlier post that under 925 Flodoard said King Rodulf
    pursued Ragenold in Burgundy with soldiers from Reims - I don't suppose
    he took them via the Loire valley. Viking raiders were not confined to
    established bases.

Ralph probably did lead them against a fleet based on the Loire, actually, or close enough to. The most obvious interpretation of Rognvald's activities in 924/5 is that the 'leader of the Northmen who dwelled on the Loire' raided Hugh the Great's lands
    from the Loire, then made peace with Hugh and William the Younger (south of the Loire) to go to Burgundy - i.e., continue down the Loire, from when he carried out the raids which ultimately led to the defeat at Chauont. Whether or not this supposition is
    right, though, the point is that there's no connection between Rognvald and Rheims at all.

This leaves out Ragenold's activities further north - in 923 after
    entreaties from Charles the Simple, he crossed the Oise and was joined
    by many Normans from Rouen ("Ragenoldus, princeps Nordmannorum qui in
    fluvio Ligeri versabantur, Karoli frequentibus missis jampridem excitus, Franciam trans Isaram, conjunctis sibi plurimus ex Rodomo,
    depraedatur"). They ranged as far as Artois ("Ragenoldus exagitatus
    furore in pagum Atrabatensem praedatum progreditur"). When defeated
    there Ragenold and his followers withdrew hurriedly into fortresses they
    had established and continued raiding as effectively as they could ("cum
    quibus Ragenoldus ad munitionum suarum properat refugia, indeque quantas
    potest exercere non desinit praedas et latrocinia"), including in the Beauvaisis ("rex Rodulfus ... accitus de Burgundia venit ad Compendia
    super Isaram; et audito quod Nordmanni pagum Belvacensem depraedabantur,
    illo transiit"). Later in the year they were still raiding beyond the
    Oise from Reims, and Franks were retaliating in territory they held
    ("Interea Nordmannis quosdam pagos nostros trans Isaram et nostratibus
    eorum terram depraedantibus").

These activities were surely not all carried out from a base on the
    Loire. In 925, while Ragenold was in Burgundy, Normans from Rouen
    (presumably those who had tired of Rollo's settlement and accepted
    Ragenold's command in 923) menaced a swathe of northern Francia
    including the Beauvaisis, Amiénois and Noyon where they set fire to the outskirts ("Ragenoldus cum suis Nordmannis Burgundiam depopulabatur ... Nordmanni de Rodomo foedus quod olim pepigerant irrumpentes, pagum
    Belvacensem atque Ambianensem depopulantur ... Nordmanni usque ad
    Noviomagum praedatum veniunt, et suburbana succendunt"). If I had been
    living in Reims at that time, with Viking pillagers active to my
    south-east and north-west, I would have considered my city urgently in
    danger from their leader Ragenold.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mike davis@21:1/5 to pss...@optusnet.com.au on Sat Dec 4 07:41:14 2021
    On Thursday, December 2, 2021 at 9:41:33 PM UTC, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:

<snip>
    who Schoepflin says he found referenced as the founder of St.Quirinus in the Vosges.
    other evidence rather than a definite statement, but if she is definitely the daughter of
    Saint-Bénigne de Dijon stating that he was in his 60th year when he died (in 1016), and according to the chronicle of the same abbey he was aged
    24 when ordained in 981.

Munier is wrong in trying to identify any count Louis as a brother of Gislebert and Bruno, unquestionably. They were certainly sons of
    Alberada, and if there had been a half-brother on their father's side disregarded in Bruno's "only brother" statement he would necessarily
    have been older than Gislebert since Alberada outlived Renaud of Roucy. Gislebert disposed of half and kept half of the viscountcy of Reims according to a tract written at Saint-Remi ca 1100, that contradicts Vercauteren's idea about his (probable) son Ebles only acquiring comital rights there when elected archbishop. No Louis occurs as a successor to Renaud in either Reims or Roucy, and Renaud does not occur in Dagsbourg. Onomastics have misled better researchers than Munier.

Yes I think Munier was convinced that because Bruno of Langres was
    related to Bruno of Koln [great nephew?] , so Bruno of Eguisheim must have
    been so named after his 'uncle' Bruno of Langres. Plus Heilwigs own name recalled the saxon dynasty, but there might be any number of reasons they
    chose these names. Also his father Hugo of Eguisheim was stated to be
    the consobrinus or first cousin of Conrad II, because his mother Adelaide
    was the sister of Hugos father. Do we know that for sure, or is it assumed because Hugo is called consobrinus of Conrad?

The only thing I liked about Muniers ramblings was the idea that 'Louis Otto count of Dagsburg' was named to honour Louis IV, Renaud's patron, and his
    wife Gerberga who was sister of Otto the Great, and then her brother Archbishop
    Bruno found him an obscure lordship in the Vosges. Disregarding the half-bro idea,
    any such individual must have died by 991, but the whole scheme is obviously too flimsy.

Another line I found on these web geni sites was that Louis of Dagsburg was a son of
    Rudolf I of Burgundy, who some think married a sister of Aethelstan based on a confusion
    with a Louis of Aquitaine mentioned by William of Malmesbury. I think this has been
    discussed here many times before, but I've never seen this Welf chap id with Louis of
    Dagsburg! It seems a generation too early anyway. Another fantastical suggestion was
    that he was a son perhaps illegitimate of Charles Constantine, but he didnt call either
    of his sons Louis, and Dagsburg is a long way from Vienne.

mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to mike davis on Sun Dec 5 14:06:36 2021
    On 05-Dec-21 2:41 AM, mike davis wrote:
    On Thursday, December 2, 2021 at 9:41:33 PM UTC, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:

<snip>
    Saint-Bénigne de Dijon stating that he was in his 60th year when he died
    (in 1016), and according to the chronicle of the same abbey he was aged
    24 when ordained in 981.

Munier is wrong in trying to identify any count Louis as a brother of
    Gislebert and Bruno, unquestionably. They were certainly sons of
    Alberada, and if there had been a half-brother on their father's side
    disregarded in Bruno's "only brother" statement he would necessarily
    have been older than Gislebert since Alberada outlived Renaud of Roucy.
    Gislebert disposed of half and kept half of the viscountcy of Reims
    according to a tract written at Saint-Remi ca 1100, that contradicts
    Vercauteren's idea about his (probable) son Ebles only acquiring comital
    rights there when elected archbishop. No Louis occurs as a successor to
    Renaud in either Reims or Roucy, and Renaud does not occur in Dagsbourg.
    Onomastics have misled better researchers than Munier.

Yes I think Munier was convinced that because Bruno of Langres was
    related to Bruno of Koln [great nephew?] , so Bruno of Eguisheim must have been so named after his 'uncle' Bruno of Langres. Plus Heilwigs own name recalled the saxon dynasty, but there might be any number of reasons they chose these names. Also his father Hugo of Eguisheim was stated to be
    the consobrinus or first cousin of Conrad II, because his mother Adelaide
    was the sister of Hugos father. Do we know that for sure, or is it assumed because Hugo is called consobrinus of Conrad?

Bruno of Langres was a great-nephew of his namesake - his mother
    Alberada was daughter of Bruno of Cologne's sister Gerberga.

The statement that Bruno of Eguisheim's (pope Leo IX's) father Hugo was
    a cousin of emperor Konrad II is independently supported by Wipo, who in
    'Gesta Chuonradi II imperatoris' called Hugo a kinsman of the emperor ("Ernestus dux Alamanniae, privignus imperatoris Chuonradi ... Alsatiam provinciam vastavit et castella Hugonis comitis, qui erat consanguineus imperatoris, desolavit.") The Vita also repeats a statement attributed
    to Konrad himself acknowledging reciprocal affection with Bruno due to
    their grandparental kinship ("consanguineus invicem affectus avitae propinquitatis"). It is probable that Konrad's mother Adelheid was a
    niece of Bruno's paternal grandmother, though this is not certain.

The only thing I liked about Muniers ramblings was the idea that 'Louis Otto count of Dagsburg' was named to honour Louis IV, Renaud's patron, and his wife Gerberga who was sister of Otto the Great, and then her brother Archbishop
    Bruno found him an obscure lordship in the Vosges. Disregarding the half-bro idea,
    any such individual must have died by 991, but the whole scheme is obviously too flimsy.

The mindset that can ascribe in print any name that fits into a
    predetermined scheme to family onomastics, and any name that doesn't to honouring a patron or some such cop-out, always mystifies me. It would
    be quicker and easier just to place an ad in the publication admitting
    to being a fool with no scruples.

Another line I found on these web geni sites was that Louis of Dagsburg was a son of
    Rudolf I of Burgundy, who some think married a sister of Aethelstan based on a confusion
    with a Louis of Aquitaine mentioned by William of Malmesbury. I think this has been
    discussed here many times before, but I've never seen this Welf chap id with Louis of
    Dagsburg! It seems a generation too early anyway. Another fantastical suggestion was
    that he was a son perhaps illegitimate of Charles Constantine, but he didnt call either
    of his sons Louis, and Dagsburg is a long way from Vienne.

The Welf Louis was count in the Thurgau in the 920s, not even remotely
    possible as father of Heilwig of Dagsbourg who married ca 995. He does
    however show that the name Louis was not a sacrosanct possession of
    agnatic Carolingians, as some have misrepresented. Charles 'Constantine'
    of Vienne is already the subject of genealogical nonsense and stubborn
    denial of evidence for his maternal ancestry without adding more of this
    to his offspring as well.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Fraser McNair on Sun Dec 5 19:01:16 2021
    On 03-Dec-21 10:11 PM, Fraser McNair wrote:

<snip>

Yes, explicitly so: later in 925, Ralph issued the general call-out of the kingdom's army. This makes sense: at this point Rognvald is a threat to the kingdom's security who has menaced a fair chunk of the realm, including Artois, Neustria and Burgundy
    - but not the area around Rheims.

I forgot to comment on this shift from what I had written - by "might be expected to show up in sources with a broader or different purview" I
    did not mean, and should not be represented as implying, "other
    contemporary sources".

Under 921 Flodoard reported that after a failed siege of five months a devastated Brittany was ceded by Robert (later king) along with the
    Nantais to the Vikings established on the Loire, who were starting to
    convert to Christianity ("Rotbertus comes Nordmannos qui Ligerim fluvium occupaverant per quinque menses obsedit ... Britanniam ipsis, quam
    vastaverant, cum Namnetico pago concessit; quique fidem Xρisti coeperunt suscipere"). For one instance to my point, the chronicle of Nantes
    (compiled in the mid-11th century from earlier sources) reports on the
    Viking incursion but does not mention Ragenold. From his Frankish name (Rainaldus in the miracles of St Benedict, Ragenoldus in Flodoard) he
    was presumably one of the converts.

It is notable that the Viking raiders seem to have left the area not
    many years afterwards, so that following Alan II's return in 936 they no
    longer prevented reestablishment of Breton government and reassertion of
    rights in the Nantais. These Vikings obviously did not vanish into thin
    air - some probably joined the Normans of Rouen, who were looking for
    new recruits from Scandinavia according (for the little his say-so is
    worth) to Dudo of Saint-Quentin. Others may have settled elsewhere in
    northern Francia, although extant evidence is not directly helpful for
    this supposition. Flodoard reported that the break-out across the Oise
    under Ragenold occurred after he had not been given lands as he wanted
    in Francia, and however this demand came to be settled after 925
    (whether or not Ragenold himself was still living) his followers
    presumably did not all take to their boats and go home to Scandinavia. Archbishop Seulf of Reims had led Frankish forces against them and their reinforcements from Rouen (so that soldiery from Reims had already
    joined the campaign before Raoul took some off to Burgundy), along with Heribert II of Vermandois, and there was an obvious motive to settle any
    of Ragenold's followers away from the Loire and distant enough from
    Rouen that they could not quickly coalesce with Normans from there in
    future. Somewhere such as Roucy, not far from Reims in the direction of Heribert's power base in Saint-Quentin, would seem to be a likely
    locality, especially given that their fellow Frankish magnates had
    already given up much more territory to the west and south-west when
    called on.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 6 16:13:48 2021
    A quarta-feira, 1 de dezembro de 2021 à(s) 20:04:26 UTC, pss...@optusnet.com.au escreveu:
    1. Arnulfing Descent

Having discussed the possible etichonid descent of Bruno of Toul, that >>>> is Bruno of Eguisheim later Pope Leo IX, which he doesnt himself claim I thought I would look at the descent he does claim. According to french wiki there is a papal bull of Leo iX, where he claims to be a descendant of Arnulf via Drogo of
    Champagne [d708] and names all 4 of his sons. Again the ref for this Settipani's capetian book, p162, but as Fraser has pointed out these refs can be misleading and I wouldnt want to attribute something to mr settipani which is actually an internet
    fantasy.
    I haven't had time to look further yet, but unfortunately this is indeed >>> in Christian Settipani's book as cited - and it is worthless. I hope he >>> will have thought better about it before he publishes the next volume of >>> /La préhistoire des Capétiens/.

inserted in the later 'Historia sancti Arnulfi Mettenis'. In this case >>> the purported papal bull was probably forged in Trier ca 1120 and may >>> represent a preliminary stage in an attempt to assert rights to dubious >>> possessions of Saint-Arnoul abbey by connecting these with the former >>> pope. The author evidently knew of Leo IX's relationship with the
    documents in his fabrication, intending to prove that the abbey was a >>> royal foundation and that the bishop of Metz had no rights to its property.

earlier Saint-Arnoul forgeries speciously linking Hugo of Chaumontois to >>> the Arnulfians as part of his evidence for conjecturing a line descended >>> from Drogo of Champagne.

Peter Stewart

Christian Settipani will correct - though it may be too late to get this misguided conjecture out of circulation now. The obvious place to check
    the question is *Regesta Imperii*, where the problem with this forged document of Leo IX is set out (as summarised in my post above) by Karl Augustin Frech in *Papstregesten 1024-1058* part 2 (2011) pp. 236-237
    no. †650.

Peter Stewart

I emailed Settipani about this and he said those conjectured were mentioned in a mere footnote and that he noted the author behind them was otherwise fanciful and had to be taken with all reservations. What author is that?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Paulo Ricardo Canedo on Tue Dec 7 13:16:59 2021
    On 07-Dec-21 11:13 AM, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    A quarta-feira, 1 de dezembro de 2021 à(s) 20:04:26 UTC, pss...@optusnet.com.au escreveu:
    1. Arnulfing Descent

Having discussed the possible etichonid descent of Bruno of Toul, that >>>>>> is Bruno of Eguisheim later Pope Leo IX, which he doesnt himself claim I thought I would look at the descent he does claim. According to french wiki there is a papal bull of Leo iX, where he claims to be a descendant of Arnulf via Drogo of
    fantasy.
    I haven't had time to look further yet, but unfortunately this is indeed >>>>> in Christian Settipani's book as cited - and it is worthless. I hope he >>>>> will have thought better about it before he publishes the next volume of >>>>> /La préhistoire des Capétiens/.

There is no such bull of Leo IX - the text is a 12th-century forgery >>>>> inserted in the later 'Historia sancti Arnulfi Mettenis'. In this case >>>>> the purported papal bull was probably forged in Trier ca 1120 and may >>>>> represent a preliminary stage in an attempt to assert rights to dubious >>>>> possessions of Saint-Arnoul abbey by connecting these with the former >>>>> pope. The author evidently knew of Leo IX's relationship with the
    documents in his fabrication, intending to prove that the abbey was a >>>>> royal foundation and that the bishop of Metz had no rights to its property.

earlier Saint-Arnoul forgeries speciously linking Hugo of Chaumontois to >>>>> the Arnulfians as part of his evidence for conjecturing a line descended >>>>> from Drogo of Champagne.

Peter Stewart

Christian Settipani will correct - though it may be too late to get this
    misguided conjecture out of circulation now. The obvious place to check
    the question is *Regesta Imperii*, where the problem with this forged
    no. †650.

Peter Stewart

I emailed Settipani about this and he said those conjectured were mentioned in a mere footnote and that he noted the author behind them was otherwise fanciful and had to be taken with all reservations. What author is that?

Are you sure he understood your question and actually meant "a mere
    footnote"? Even if trying to brush off an unwelcome query, what kind of historian could seriously say such a thing or suppose it made any
    difference where on the page in his own work the lapse I posted about
    was printed?

The author in question who is "otherwise fanciful" is A.
    (Lieutenant-colonel) Larose, but he is definitely NOT responsible in any
    way for Settipani's own ideas - in the main text of p. 162, about Drogo
    of Champagne's son Arnulf, he wrote: "Peut-être laissa-t-il une
    posterérité fondue dans l'aristocratie lorraine?". To this in note 120
    on the same page he added the first lapse I meant: "Ce qui pourrait le
    faire croire c'est la mention dans une bulle du pape Léon IX de son
    ancêtre Arnulf et de ses parents" - NB this is before he noted Larose's "généalogie absolument fantaisiste" making Drogo the direct ancestor of
    Leo IX. Settipani then added another credulous lapse by suggesting:
    "Dans cette hypothèse, on pourrait sous toute réserve rattacher à cette souche le comte Drogo connu en 753 et 762 ..., Hugo, comte de
    Chaumonotis (c. 910), issu des Arnulfiens [mais non explicitement des Carolingiens!], père du comte Arnulf et de l'évêque Odalric de Reims († 969)".

The sources for both Leo IX's alleged ancestry claim and for deriving
    Hugo of Chaumontois from the Arnulfians are forgeries. Omitting any
    mention of that, in a footnote or anywhere else, needs explicitly
    admitting and correcting by a self-respecting researcher.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 7 01:42:05 2021
    A terça-feira, 7 de dezembro de 2021 à(s) 02:17:06 UTC, pss...@optusnet.com.au escreveu:
    1. Arnulfing Descent

is Bruno of Eguisheim later Pope Leo IX, which he doesnt himself claim I thought I would look at the descent he does claim. According to french wiki there is a papal bull of Leo iX, where he claims to be a descendant of Arnulf via Drogo of
    fantasy.

There is no such bull of Leo IX - the text is a 12th-century forgery >>>>> inserted in the later 'Historia sancti Arnulfi Mettenis'. In this case >>>>> the purported papal bull was probably forged in Trier ca 1120 and may >>>>> represent a preliminary stage in an attempt to assert rights to dubious
    possessions of Saint-Arnoul abbey by connecting these with the former >>>>> pope. The author evidently knew of Leo IX's relationship with the >>>>> Etichonids and he used both genuine and forged Carolingian royal
    documents in his fabrication, intending to prove that the abbey was a >>>>> royal foundation and that the bishop of Metz had no rights to its property.

Compounding the problem, Settipani also referred credulously to the >>>>> earlier Saint-Arnoul forgeries speciously linking Hugo of Chaumontois to
    from Drogo of Champagne.

Peter Stewart

No, Paulo - on a good day I have the memory capacity of a goldfish, and >> even then past SGM discussions are a blank. Frequently in the time it

Christian Settipani will correct - though it may be too late to get this >> misguided conjecture out of circulation now. The obvious place to check >> for the authenticity of a papal bull and for references to follow about >> the question is *Regesta Imperii*, where the problem with this forged
    no. †650.

Peter Stewart

Are you sure he understood your question and actually meant "a mere footnote"? Even if trying to brush off an unwelcome query, what kind of historian could seriously say such a thing or suppose it made any
    was printed?

The author in question who is "otherwise fanciful" is A. (Lieutenant-colonel) Larose, but he is definitely NOT responsible in any
    of Champagne's son Arnulf, he wrote: "Peut-être laissa-t-il une posterérité fondue dans l'aristocratie lorraine?". To this in note 120
    faire croire c'est la mention dans une bulle du pape Léon IX de son ancêtre Arnulf et de ses parents" - NB this is before he noted Larose's "généalogie absolument fantaisiste" making Drogo the direct ancestor of Leo IX. Settipani then added another credulous lapse by suggesting:
    "Dans cette hypothèse, on pourrait sous toute réserve rattacher à cette souche le comte Drogo connu en 753 et 762 ..., Hugo, comte de
    Chaumonotis (c. 910), issu des Arnulfiens [mais non explicitement des Carolingiens!], père du comte Arnulf et de l'évêque Odalric de Reims († 969)".

Peter Stewart
    Settipani might not have been aware they were forgeries at the time.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jean-luc soler@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 7 01:54:48 2021
    Surely he is reading soc.gen.medieval

JL

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Paulo Ricardo Canedo on Tue Dec 7 23:43:41 2021
    On 07-Dec-21 8:42 PM, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    A terça-feira, 7 de dezembro de 2021 à(s) 02:17:06 UTC, pss...@optusnet.com.au escreveu:
    1. Arnulfing Descent

Having discussed the possible etichonid descent of Bruno of Toul, that >>>>>>>> is Bruno of Eguisheim later Pope Leo IX, which he doesnt himself claim I thought I would look at the descent he does claim. According to french wiki there is a papal bull of Leo iX, where he claims to be a descendant of Arnulf via Drogo of
    fantasy.
    in Christian Settipani's book as cited - and it is worthless. I hope he >>>>>>> will have thought better about it before he publishes the next volume of

There is no such bull of Leo IX - the text is a 12th-century forgery >>>>>>> inserted in the later 'Historia sancti Arnulfi Mettenis'. In this case >>>>>>> the purported papal bull was probably forged in Trier ca 1120 and may >>>>>>> represent a preliminary stage in an attempt to assert rights to dubious >>>>>>> possessions of Saint-Arnoul abbey by connecting these with the former >>>>>>> pope. The author evidently knew of Leo IX's relationship with the >>>>>>> Etichonids and he used both genuine and forged Carolingian royal >>>>>>> documents in his fabrication, intending to prove that the abbey was a >>>>>>> royal foundation and that the bishop of Metz had no rights to its property.

Any genealogical speculation based on this is a waste of effort. >>>>>>> Compounding the problem, Settipani also referred credulously to the >>>>>>> earlier Saint-Arnoul forgeries speciously linking Hugo of Chaumontois to
    from Drogo of Champagne.

Peter Stewart

No, Paulo - on a good day I have the memory capacity of a goldfish, and >>>> even then past SGM discussions are a blank. Frequently in the time it
    takes for a slowish lift mechanism to get me to my feet I've forgotten >>>> why I wanted to get up in the first place.

Christian Settipani will correct - though it may be too late to get this >>>> misguided conjecture out of circulation now. The obvious place to check >>>> for the authenticity of a papal bull and for references to follow about >>>> the question is *Regesta Imperii*, where the problem with this forged
    document of Leo IX is set out (as summarised in my post above) by Karl >>>> Augustin Frech in *Papstregesten 1024-1058* part 2 (2011) pp. 236-237
    no. †650.

Peter Stewart

footnote"? Even if trying to brush off an unwelcome query, what kind of
    historian could seriously say such a thing or suppose it made any
    was printed?

(Lieutenant-colonel) Larose, but he is definitely NOT responsible in any
    of Champagne's son Arnulf, he wrote: "Peut-être laissa-t-il une
    posterérité fondue dans l'aristocratie lorraine?". To this in note 120
    ancêtre Arnulf et de ses parents" - NB this is before he noted Larose's
    "généalogie absolument fantaisiste" making Drogo the direct ancestor of
    Leo IX. Settipani then added another credulous lapse by suggesting:
    "Dans cette hypothèse, on pourrait sous toute réserve rattacher à cette >> souche le comte Drogo connu en 753 et 762 ..., Hugo, comte de
    Chaumonotis (c. 910), issu des Arnulfiens [mais non explicitement des
    Carolingiens!], père du comte Arnulf et de l'évêque Odalric de Reims († >> 969)".

Peter Stewart

Of course he wasn't aware of this, Paulo - are you posting in your sleep?

Failing to realise that the documents with ancestral claims regarding
    Hugo of Chaumontois and Pope Leo IX were forgeries from late-11th and
    early 12th centuries respectively is precisely the lapse I meant.

There is no suggestion that Settipani deliberately withheld this
    information from readers, but rather that he ventured hazy speculation
    about a possible descent from Drogo of Champagne without properly
    assessing the flawed evidence behind it.

I can only assume that he did not follow what you were emailing him
    about if his response implied that Larose's fantasy was somehow at issue
    and not his own conjecture.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 7 16:56:44 2021
    A terça-feira, 7 de dezembro de 2021 à(s) 12:43:47 UTC, pss...@optusnet.com.au escreveu:
    On 07-Dec-21 8:42 PM, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    1. Arnulfing Descent

is Bruno of Eguisheim later Pope Leo IX, which he doesnt himself claim I thought I would look at the descent he does claim. According to french wiki there is a papal bull of Leo iX, where he claims to be a descendant of Arnulf via Drogo of
    fantasy.

There is no such bull of Leo IX - the text is a 12th-century forgery >>>>>>> inserted in the later 'Historia sancti Arnulfi Mettenis'. In this case
    represent a preliminary stage in an attempt to assert rights to dubious
    possessions of Saint-Arnoul abbey by connecting these with the former
    pope. The author evidently knew of Leo IX's relationship with the >>>>>>> Etichonids and he used both genuine and forged Carolingian royal >>>>>>> documents in his fabrication, intending to prove that the abbey was a

Any genealogical speculation based on this is a waste of effort. >>>>>>> Compounding the problem, Settipani also referred credulously to the >>>>>>> earlier Saint-Arnoul forgeries speciously linking Hugo of Chaumontois to
    from Drogo of Champagne.

Peter Stewart

No, Paulo - on a good day I have the memory capacity of a goldfish, and >>>> even then past SGM discussions are a blank. Frequently in the time it >>>> takes for a slowish lift mechanism to get me to my feet I've forgotten >>>> why I wanted to get up in the first place.

Christian Settipani will correct - though it may be too late to get this
    misguided conjecture out of circulation now. The obvious place to check >>>> for the authenticity of a papal bull and for references to follow about >>>> the question is *Regesta Imperii*, where the problem with this forged >>>> document of Leo IX is set out (as summarised in my post above) by Karl >>>> Augustin Frech in *Papstregesten 1024-1058* part 2 (2011) pp. 236-237 >>>> no. †650.

Peter Stewart

footnote"? Even if trying to brush off an unwelcome query, what kind of >> historian could seriously say such a thing or suppose it made any
    was printed?

(Lieutenant-colonel) Larose, but he is definitely NOT responsible in any >> way for Settipani's own ideas - in the main text of p. 162, about Drogo >> of Champagne's son Arnulf, he wrote: "Peut-être laissa-t-il une
    posterérité fondue dans l'aristocratie lorraine?". To this in note 120 >> on the same page he added the first lapse I meant: "Ce qui pourrait le
    ancêtre Arnulf et de ses parents" - NB this is before he noted Larose's >> "généalogie absolument fantaisiste" making Drogo the direct ancestor of >> Leo IX. Settipani then added another credulous lapse by suggesting:
    "Dans cette hypothèse, on pourrait sous toute réserve rattacher à cette
    souche le comte Drogo connu en 753 et 762 ..., Hugo, comte de
    Chaumonotis (c. 910), issu des Arnulfiens [mais non explicitement des
    Carolingiens!], père du comte Arnulf et de l'évêque Odalric de Reims (†
    969)".

Peter Stewart
    Of course he wasn't aware of this, Paulo - are you posting in your sleep?

Failing to realise that the documents with ancestral claims regarding
    Hugo of Chaumontois and Pope Leo IX were forgeries from late-11th and
    early 12th centuries respectively is precisely the lapse I meant.

There is no suggestion that Settipani deliberately withheld this
    information from readers, but rather that he ventured hazy speculation
    about a possible descent from Drogo of Champagne without properly
    assessing the flawed evidence behind it.

I can only assume that he did not follow what you were emailing him
    about if his response implied that Larose's fantasy was somehow at issue
    and not his own conjecture.

Peter Stewart

I posted right after leaving bed. I am busy recently. Anyways, Settipani said he was busy and did not check the thread.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05