• Lowe of Shropshire and Staffordshire

From J. Sardina@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 29 10:39:51 2021
    Hello,

I am trying to trace the family of one Humphrey Loe (Lowe?), of unknown origin, possibly from Shropshire or Staffordshire, apparently esq. and possibly living in the first half of the 16th century.

He has been mentioned in a series of posting on the Cuertons since he is shown as the father of one Agnes, wife of George Cuerton, esq. from Ightfield , Shropshire, living in 1558.

His arms are shown as a head, possibly of a wolf, erased, on a background that appears to be grayish or bluish (colors are faded).

Does anybody recognize that family?

I see that the Lowe of Lowe are reported to have somewhat similar arms: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/worcs/vol3/pp442-449'
    "Or a bend cotised sable with three wolves' heads razed or on the bend."

The site mentions Feet of Fines for Worcestershire. 5 Hen. III, no. 22 as well Nash's History of Worcestershire.

J. Sardina

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From taf@21:1/5 to J. Sardina on Sun Aug 29 14:25:12 2021
    On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 10:39:52 AM UTC-7, J. Sardina wrote:

His arms are shown as a head, possibly of a wolf, erased, on a background that appears to be grayish or bluish (colors are faded).

I see that the Lowe of Lowe are reported to have somewhat similar arms: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/worcs/vol3/pp442-449'

Not very similar at all. Different shield tincture, different number of wolves, different part of wolves (one entire, the other just the head), different color of the wolf/wolves, bend vs no bend. The only thing they have in common is that there is
    canine involvement, and that is likely just independent canting (Lowe being vaguely similar to the first syllable of 'lupus' = wolf).

Given all the differences, I would take these arms as an indication the families were probably unrelated.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to J. Sardina on Mon Aug 30 07:07:27 2021

Neither grey nor blue to my eye. It is juxtaposed to the Cuerton arms, where both quarters include elements with blue background clearly different than this background, while the wolf itself is grey (i.e. silver). To me the background looks green,
    which is atypical and probably more recent. That would make the arms 'vert, a wolf's head erased proper', or 'vert, a wolf's head erased argent, langued gules'.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J. Sardina@21:1/5 to taf on Mon Aug 30 10:03:01 2021
    On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 10:07:28 AM UTC-4, taf wrote:
    Neither grey nor blue to my eye. It is juxtaposed to the Cuerton arms, where both quarters include elements with blue background clearly different than this background, while the wolf itself is grey (i.e. silver). To me the background looks green,
    which is atypical and probably more recent. That would make the arms 'vert, a wolf's head erased proper', or 'vert, a wolf's head erased argent, langued gules'.

taf

Thanks for checking again.

The background is definitely green. I was able to obtain a somewhat better scan from the seller.
    I can see the red tongue clearly also. Some areas seem to be darker than green or gray, but it may be due to reaction of the inks over time.
    The outline of the head is quite dark, specially on the back of the head, but I suppose that was done on purpose.

After searching online for Lowe or Loew or Loe families, I haven't found any other lines with this particular design of arms.
    If they are canting arms, would they go back to the 14th or15th centuries?

There seem to have been a few Lowe at Shropshire and Staffordshire, possibly not all of them related, and I have not seen information to determine which ones were esquires and which ones yeomen. I am hoping that the ones you found at the archives are
    of the line in question, but finding arms for that family has not been possible so far. Perhaps they died out in the 16th century.

A couple of them happened to be renting lands from the same priority where Margaret Sandford was prioress since 1510. I am trying to find more entries from the letters of Henry VIII where she appears, and from the corresponding websites to see if more
    Lowes happen to show up at other locations in the same years (first half of 16th century). For some reason, search by keywords does not always seems to work.

J. Sardina

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to J. Sardina on Mon Aug 30 12:52:07 2021
    On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 10:03:03 AM UTC-7, J. Sardina wrote:

After searching online for Lowe or Loew or Loe families, I haven't found any other lines with this particular design of arms.
    If they are canting arms, would they go back to the 14th or15th centuries?

I found neither a Loe/Low/Lowe using it, nor anyone else (the closest is the arms attributed to Hugh Loup, Earl of Cheshire, but thay had a blue background). Canting arms could be from any period. Green backgrounds were less common in earlier arms, so
    I would guess later rather than earlier, but that is just a guess.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to J. Sardina on Tue Aug 31 16:35:43 2021
    Hello,

I am trying to trace the family of one Humphrey Loe (Lowe?), of unknown origin, possibly from Shropshire or Staffordshire, apparently esq. and possibly living in the first half of the 16th century.

He has been mentioned in a series of posting on the Cuertons since he is shown as the father of one Agnes, wife of George Cuerton, esq. from Ightfield , Shropshire, living in 1558.

The site mentions Feet of Fines for Worcestershire. 5 Hen. III, no. 22 as well Nash's History of Worcestershire.

J. Sardina

Perhaps it is the Humphrey /Lowe/ of Lichfield, co Staf and of Halesowen; mercer; Bailiff of Lichfield 1556, 1567, 1573
    He was born by 1523 (if not much earlier) and he was living in 1573
    I have three children for him

Margery (Lowe) Weston d 1587
    m James /Weston/ of St John's Hospital in Lichfield, co Staf d 1589

Michael /Lowe/ of Tamhorn near Lichfield co Staf 1577; Gent 1577; of Tymore, co Staff
    bur 4 Aug 1593 Elford
    m Margaret Biddulph

Isabel Lowe m Edward /Noble/ of the Close of Lichfield, co Staf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J. Sardina@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Tue Aug 31 17:25:02 2021
    On Tuesday, August 31, 2021 at 7:35:44 PM UTC-4, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hello,

J. Sardina
    Perhaps it is the Humphrey /Lowe/ of Lichfield, co Staf and of Halesowen; mercer; Bailiff of Lichfield 1556, 1567, 1573
    He was born by 1523 (if not much earlier) and he was living in 1573
    I have three children for him

Margery (Lowe) Weston d 1587
    m James /Weston/ of St John's Hospital in Lichfield, co Staf d 1589

Michael /Lowe/ of Tamhorn near Lichfield co Staf 1577; Gent 1577; of Tymore, co Staff
    bur 4 Aug 1593 Elford
    m Margaret Biddulph

Isabel Lowe m Edward /Noble/ of the Close of Lichfield, co Staf

Thanks for the information. I have seen information about at least one, two or possibly three different lines of Lowe apparently from Staffordshire. One of those lines would be for Margaret Bromley. At least some of them seem to have been merchants.
    However, i have not been able to find arms for all of them, and the ones i have seen do match the ones painted on the 1558 documents whose pictures I have seen.

Last night I was checking an article of a different set of Loe families, originally from Cheshire. Apparently they had in the 14th century consisting of three wolves, but one of the lines in the 14th century seems to have used one single wolf.

THE LOWES OF DENBY AND ALDERWASLEY.
    LOWE, A E LAWSON, CAPTAIN. The Relinquary : quarterly archaeological journal and review, July 1863-Oct. 1894; London Vol. 12, (Oct 1871): 113-114.

which can be viewed online at

https://www.proquest.com/openview/70058812edbc9ef4/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=2594

and also

Derbyshire Archaeological Society. Journal of the Derbyshire Archaeological and Natural History Society online.

digitized by google

https://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/derbyshire-archaeological-society/journal-of-the-derbyshire-archaeological-and-natural-history-society-goo/page-50-journal-of-the-derbyshire-archaeological-and-natural-history-society-goo.shtml

Unfortunately, I found no connections to Staffordshire or Shropshire.

J. Sardina

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05