• Margaret Sandford, prioress

From J. Sardina@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 29 10:12:27 2021
    Hello,
    Looking through the wikipedia and the sources it mentions in relation to the "White Ladies Priory", St Leonard at Brewood, the article
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Ladies_Priory

mentions some information about its last prioress, one Margaret Sandford.

The article mentions

" In 1521 it was found that, although the priory was actually not in debt, the prioress, probably Margaret Sandford, did not know how to render accounts."

It appears she was the prioress by 1510, from the same article. She was still the prioress in 1538, when the monastery was dissolved:

"A pension of £5 went to the prioress, Margaret Sandford (rendered as Stamford)."

A reference is made to
    Letters and Papers of Henry VIII, volume 13, part 1, p. 561-89, nos. 40b, 74, 77, 100b, 101b, 21
    and other entries

Summaries of those letters and papers can be consulted online.

Question: Does anybody know who were her parents?

She appears to have resided at Bridgnorth, and leased lands as ex-prioress.

There is at least one entry for her at:
    Lists and Indexes - Issue 51 - Page 226 - Google Books Resulthttps://books.google.com › books
    Great Britain. Public Record Office · 1963 · ‎Great Britain

6-7 Margaret SANDFORD of Bridgnorth , late prioress of Brewood , v . Ralph and John HAWKYN , husbandmen . Sheep entrusted to defendants for half profits .

J. Sardina

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From taf@21:1/5 to J. Sardina on Sun Aug 29 14:11:41 2021
    On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 10:12:28 AM UTC-7, J. Sardina wrote:

Lists and Indexes - Issue 51 - Page 226 - Google Books Resulthttps://books.google.com › books

6-7 Margaret SANDFORD of Bridgnorth , late prioress of Brewood , v . Ralph and John HAWKYN , husbandmen . Sheep entrusted to defendants for half profits .

p. 72 of same volume:

41-43 William DEVE v. Margaret SANFORD, late prioress of Brewood, and William BARBAR. Forcible entry, cutting of apple trees, and seizure of deeds at Rudge, in contempt of an order of the Council of the Marches. HEREFORD.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J. Sardina@21:1/5 to taf on Mon Aug 30 10:18:55 2021
    On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 5:11:43 PM UTC-4, taf wrote:
    On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 10:12:28 AM UTC-7, J. Sardina wrote:

p. 72 of same volume:

41-43 William DEVE v. Margaret SANFORD, late prioress of Brewood, and William BARBAR. Forcible entry, cutting of apple trees, and seizure of deeds at Rudge, in contempt of an order of the Council of the Marches. HEREFORD.

taf

Yes. I am trying to find another entry where a Lowe is mentioned, but I lost the text and exact location, and finding it again has not been possible. There is another entry for another Lowe in the same period, and I would like to see if it is also
    related to Brewood lands. And of course, I don't know if Margaret might have been a member of the Sandford of the Lee branch.

If she was, then she would have been related to my Cuertons directly and possibly to the Lowe by marriage.

I am still trying to track down Cuerton's inquisition papers to see if by any chance they happen to mention his references in England when he applied to become a member, which was accepted. I would think he would have mentioned having a relative being a
    prioress if they were related as "positive act" proving the Catholicism of his family.

For reasons unknown, a few years late, John Cuerton was stripped of his post as familiar of the Inquisition, and fought back to regain it at Bilbao. I don't know the result of the lawsuit. A little bit ironically, his widow was later punished by the
    Inquisition with a fine for being too familiar with certain English Protestants that had been lodged at his houses temporarily. Apparently the Cuertons were denounced as having allowed a Protestant direct prayers at the dinning table. Unfortunately,
    I have seen just mentions of the case, but not the contents of the case itself.

J. Sardina

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05