• Re: Oliver of Jussey info requested

From Linda Dawn@21:1/5 to lancast...@gmail.com on Sat Nov 20 01:08:50 2021
    On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 9:04:44 AM UTC-7, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, February 25, 1999 at 9:00:00 AM UTC+1, Bill Martin wrote:
    GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Regulars,

Could anyone tell me anything substantive abut a man known as Oliver of Jussey... the man, his ancestors, and descendents?

In the recent book by Jonathan Riley-Smith, The First Crusaders,
    1095-1131 (1998), he examined all the narrative sources and many cartularies and other collection of documents and established a list of names of Crusaders. He identified 791 individuals who took the cross between 1095 and 1131 and there one finds a man referred to as Oliver of Jussey (1st Crusade)... Jussey is north-east of Dijon in France.

This Oliver of Jussey is believed to be the great-grandfather of Sir Oliver Martyn, who you may remember I've posted previous queries about... whose descendents came to be known as the Martin tribe of Galway,
    Ireland, mentioned in Hardiman's account of Galway and their merchant families whom came to be known as the "Tribes of Galway", which is available online at this URL:

http://www.wombat.ie/galwayguide/history/hardiman/c1.html

From an online account by Adrian James Martyn, Irish author:

"The Martin family of Galway claim descent from Sir Oliver Martyn, great grandson of a Norman [Oliver of Jussey] who accompanied William the Conquorer on the Norman Invasion of England in 1066. Sir Oliver is supposed to have fought under Richard the Lionhearted in the Third
    Crusade (1189-1192), who knighted him and awarded him the family coat of arms. Oliver is alleged to have shared Richard's adventures on his
    journey home and is supposed to have died while imprisoned with him in Austria. A document was found in modern-day Hungary sometime in the last century corroborating this statement. The Martin family is first
    mentioned as living in Galway in 1270, along with other emerging families such as Joyce, Kirwin and Lynch, and at some point in their history, they claimed Oliver as their ancestor".

Yes, I was mistaken about any affiliation with William II in my previous posts... apologies to the ghost of Rufus. Please share what you can with me. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Bill
    Bill for the family of Robert fitzMartin, referred to in one of the replies, in preference to websites start with...

Lyte, Sir Henry Maxwell (1919) “Burci, Falaise and Martin” in the ''Proceedings'' of the Somerset Archaeol. and Nat. Hist. Soc., vol. lxv, pp.1-27 https://archive.org/details/proceedings65some/page/n99

For Robert, the name "fitz Martin" was not a family name but literally just "son of Martin". It does nevertheless appear that he might be one of the earliest traceable ancestors of a Martin family in England. I guess there will have been many Martin
    families founded after him though, and it seems no one has any serious idea of who his father's ancestors were.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 20 03:37:31 2021
    A sábado, 20 de novembro de 2021 à(s) 09:08:51 UTC, Linda Dawn escreveu:
    GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Regulars,

Could anyone tell me anything substantive abut a man known as Oliver of Jussey... the man, his ancestors, and descendents?

In the recent book by Jonathan Riley-Smith, The First Crusaders, 1095-1131 (1998), he examined all the narrative sources and many cartularies and other collection of documents and established a list of names of Crusaders. He identified 791 individuals who took the cross between 1095 and 1131 and there one finds a man referred to as Oliver of Jussey (1st Crusade)... Jussey is north-east of Dijon in France.

This Oliver of Jussey is believed to be the great-grandfather of Sir Oliver Martyn, who you may remember I've posted previous queries about...
    whose descendents came to be known as the Martin tribe of Galway, Ireland, mentioned in Hardiman's account of Galway and their merchant families whom came to be known as the "Tribes of Galway", which is available online at this URL:

"The Martin family of Galway claim descent from Sir Oliver Martyn, great grandson of a Norman [Oliver of Jussey] who accompanied William the Conquorer on the Norman Invasion of England in 1066. Sir Oliver is supposed to have fought under Richard the Lionhearted in the Third Crusade (1189-1192), who knighted him and awarded him the family coat of arms. Oliver is alleged to have shared Richard's adventures on his journey home and is supposed to have died while imprisoned with him in Austria. A document was found in modern-day Hungary sometime in the last century corroborating this statement. The Martin family is first mentioned as living in Galway in 1270, along with other emerging families
    such as Joyce, Kirwin and Lynch, and at some point in their history, they
    claimed Oliver as their ancestor".

Yes, I was mistaken about any affiliation with William II in my previous posts... apologies to the ghost of Rufus. Please share what you can with me. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Bill
    Bill for the family of Robert fitzMartin, referred to in one of the replies, in preference to websites start with...

Lyte, Sir Henry Maxwell (1919) “Burci, Falaise and Martin” in the ''Proceedings'' of the Somerset Archaeol. and Nat. Hist. Soc., vol. lxv, pp.1-27 https://archive.org/details/proceedings65some/page/n99

For Robert, the name "fitz Martin" was not a family name but literally just "son of Martin". It does nevertheless appear that he might be one of the earliest traceable ancestors of a Martin family in England. I guess there will have been many Martin
    families founded after him though, and it seems no one has any serious idea of who his father's ancestors were.

I have never understood why some people quote posts without saying anything, themselves.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Higgins@21:1/5 to Paulo Ricardo Canedo on Sat Nov 20 09:50:30 2021
    On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 3:37:33 AM UTC-8, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Regulars,

Could anyone tell me anything substantive abut a man known as Oliver of
    Jussey... the man, his ancestors, and descendents?

In the recent book by Jonathan Riley-Smith, The First Crusaders, 1095-1131 (1998), he examined all the narrative sources and many cartularies and other collection of documents and established a list of
    names of Crusaders. He identified 791 individuals who took the cross between 1095 and 1131 and there one finds a man referred to as Oliver of
    Jussey (1st Crusade)... Jussey is north-east of Dijon in France.

This Oliver of Jussey is believed to be the great-grandfather of Sir Oliver Martyn, who you may remember I've posted previous queries about...
    whose descendents came to be known as the Martin tribe of Galway, Ireland, mentioned in Hardiman's account of Galway and their merchant families whom came to be known as the "Tribes of Galway", which is available online at this URL:

"The Martin family of Galway claim descent from Sir Oliver Martyn, great
    grandson of a Norman [Oliver of Jussey] who accompanied William the Conquorer on the Norman Invasion of England in 1066. Sir Oliver is supposed to have fought under Richard the Lionhearted in the Third Crusade (1189-1192), who knighted him and awarded him the family coat of
    arms. Oliver is alleged to have shared Richard's adventures on his journey home and is supposed to have died while imprisoned with him in Austria. A document was found in modern-day Hungary sometime in the last
    century corroborating this statement. The Martin family is first mentioned as living in Galway in 1270, along with other emerging families

Yes, I was mistaken about any affiliation with William II in my previous
    posts... apologies to the ghost of Rufus. Please share what you can with
    me. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Bill

For Robert, the name "fitz Martin" was not a family name but literally just "son of Martin". It does nevertheless appear that he might be one of the earliest traceable ancestors of a Martin family in England. I guess there will have been many
    Martin families founded after him though, and it seems no one has any serious idea of who his father's ancestors were.
    I have never understood why some people quote posts without saying anything, themselves.
    I have never understood why some people feel they need to post on such trivial issues - especially when it accomplishes nothing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Higgins@21:1/5 to Paulo Ricardo Canedo on Sat Nov 20 16:46:17 2021
    On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 4:38:09 PM UTC-8, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    A sábado, 20 de novembro de 2021 à(s) 17:50:31 UTC, jhigg...@yahoo.com escreveu:
    GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Regulars,

In the recent book by Jonathan Riley-Smith, The First Crusaders, 1095-1131 (1998), he examined all the narrative sources and many cartularies and other collection of documents and established a list of
    names of Crusaders. He identified 791 individuals who took the cross
    between 1095 and 1131 and there one finds a man referred to as Oliver of

This Oliver of Jussey is believed to be the great-grandfather of Sir
    Oliver Martyn, who you may remember I've posted previous queries about...
    whose descendents came to be known as the Martin tribe of Galway, Ireland, mentioned in Hardiman's account of Galway and their merchant
    families whom came to be known as the "Tribes of Galway", which is available online at this URL:

grandson of a Norman [Oliver of Jussey] who accompanied William the
    Conquorer on the Norman Invasion of England in 1066. Sir Oliver is supposed to have fought under Richard the Lionhearted in the Third Crusade (1189-1192), who knighted him and awarded him the family coat of
    arms. Oliver is alleged to have shared Richard's adventures on his journey home and is supposed to have died while imprisoned with him in
    Austria. A document was found in modern-day Hungary sometime in the last
    century corroborating this statement. The Martin family is first mentioned as living in Galway in 1270, along with other emerging families

Bill

For Robert, the name "fitz Martin" was not a family name but literally just "son of Martin". It does nevertheless appear that he might be one of the earliest traceable ancestors of a Martin family in England. I guess there will have been many
    Martin families founded after him though, and it seems no one has any serious idea of who his father's ancestors were.
    I have never understood why some people feel they need to post on such trivial issues - especially when it accomplishes nothing.
    It's just for the record.
    Record of what? Of trivial mistakes made by someone trying to access this group? What's the point?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 20 16:38:07 2021
    A sábado, 20 de novembro de 2021 à(s) 17:50:31 UTC, jhigg...@yahoo.com escreveu:
    GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Regulars,

names of Crusaders. He identified 791 individuals who took the cross between 1095 and 1131 and there one finds a man referred to as Oliver of

whose descendents came to be known as the Martin tribe of Galway, Ireland, mentioned in Hardiman's account of Galway and their merchant
    families whom came to be known as the "Tribes of Galway", which is available online at this URL:

grandson of a Norman [Oliver of Jussey] who accompanied William the Conquorer on the Norman Invasion of England in 1066. Sir Oliver is supposed to have fought under Richard the Lionhearted in the Third Crusade (1189-1192), who knighted him and awarded him the family coat of
    arms. Oliver is alleged to have shared Richard's adventures on his journey home and is supposed to have died while imprisoned with him in

Bill

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 21 06:41:13 2021
    A domingo, 21 de novembro de 2021 à(s) 00:46:18 UTC, jhigg...@yahoo.com escreveu:
    On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 4:38:09 PM UTC-8, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Regulars,

names of Crusaders. He identified 791 individuals who took the cross
    between 1095 and 1131 and there one finds a man referred to as Oliver of

This Oliver of Jussey is believed to be the great-grandfather of Sir
    Oliver Martyn, who you may remember I've posted previous queries about...
    whose descendents came to be known as the Martin tribe of Galway,
    Ireland, mentioned in Hardiman's account of Galway and their merchant
    families whom came to be known as the "Tribes of Galway", which is
    available online at this URL:

grandson of a Norman [Oliver of Jussey] who accompanied William the
    Conquorer on the Norman Invasion of England in 1066. Sir Oliver is
    supposed to have fought under Richard the Lionhearted in the Third
    Crusade (1189-1192), who knighted him and awarded him the family coat of
    arms. Oliver is alleged to have shared Richard's adventures on his
    journey home and is supposed to have died while imprisoned with him in

Bill

Record of what? Of trivial mistakes made by someone trying to access this group? What's the point?

I just wanted to note my thoughts. FYI, I am an Asperger's.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05