• THE TINNEY SURNAME

From vctinney@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 24 10:37:27 2018
    THE TINNEY SURNAME

The Tinney surname was in Ireland through military expeditions, as well as the heretofore mention of linguistic ties, back and forth between the various sections of the British Isles. [The British Isles are a group of islands off the north-western coast
    of continental Europe that consist of the islands of Great Britain, Ireland and over six thousand smaller isles. - Encyclopædia Britannica] The Irish Tinney line as an anglicized version of a Celtic phrase meaning "son of the fox" ties it all together,
    as the Conservation of Irish Habitats and Species does indicate that the red fox is Ireland’s only member of the Canidae family. They are easily recognizable by their small doglike appearance. Coloration consists of a reddish to brown tint with a long
    bushy tail often with a white tip. As a madra rua, in maturing, the coat colour changes from its original dark brown to foxy red. In Irish, red fur, is rua (roo-uh), and dyed or painted red is called dearg (jar ug). The military connection is found, as
    well as merchant activities, in that: In the earliest times in Ireland, as elsewhere, beacon fires were in common use, for the guidance of travellers or to alarm the country in any sudden emergency. The spots where signal or festival fires used to be
    lighted are still, in many cases, indicated by the names, though in almost all these places the custom has, for ages, fallen into disuse. One of the names used was teine [tinne]. It is found in:Kiltinny near Coleraine, the wood of the fire; Duntinny in
    Donegal, (dun, a fort), thus the Donegal Tinney "of the fire" at the fort; etc. It also appears that this idea, of fire, as a source of light, a beacon, has followed down traditionally in the Tinia variations noted by Edward O'Reilly in An Irish-English
    Dictionary, published in Dublin, Ireland, in A.D. 1864. Here, the 16th letter of the Irish alphabet is listed as: Tinne, a. meaning "wonderful, strange"; adv. meaning almost. Tinne, s. meaning "a chain; the name of the letter 'T'." "T" is the 16th letter
    of the Irish alphabet and ranked among the hard consonants. Also, tin, s.f., a beginning, fire; [as in Cornish Tan: fire; Cornish Tehan: a firebrand; to light; kindle]; a gross, corpulent, fat [as in Cornish Tenn: rude; rustic]; also, tender [as in
    Cornish Tyner: tender], soft [as in Cornish Tene: sucking (too young to be weaned; Cornish Tena: to suck)]; thin [as in Cornish Tanau: thin, slender, small, lean]. tine, s.f., fire, a link; [the link, the constant attachment there is betwixt the tongue (
    which is the fire) of the eloquent, and the ears of the audience.] tin or tion, v. to melt or dissolve, O'B. tinn, adj., sick; inflection of teann, brave, etc. [See: Antiquities, Historical and Monumental, of the County of Cornwall, published 1769, by
    William Borlase, LL.D., F.R.S., pages 103, 106; also A Cornish-English Vocabulary.] Tinney was anciently interchanged with Tynney, etc. R. Morton Nance, Ed., A Cornish-English Dictionary, [England], (1967 reprint [first published by the Federation Of Old
    Cornwall Societies, 1955]), p. 92, wherein: ten, m. pl. -now, pull, pulling, drag, . . . drawing of breath . . . tenna, vb. to pull, pluck, haul, drag, draw, take off, extract. This in turn relates to p. 98, tyn, f. or m. pl. -yon, fast ground left in
    mine working, end (of material, etc.). Greek: Teino; Cornish: Tedna; English: Draw]. Therefore, it appears the base tyn relates to the work involved in and the efforts made to extract Tin (Tynne) from the ground. Tin/Tynne, from the Camden Society, [
    England], Publications, Vol. 12, The Egerton Papers, pages 283-285, C. J. Popham's Letter Regarding Tin, dated the ixth of August 1598, "To the Q(ueen). Most excelent Matie" [Elizabeth I]. . . The cawse that hath hytherunto moved me to forbeare to wryte
    touchyng the matter of Tynne, as your Matie gave me in charge, hath ben for that I desyered fyrst to have spoken with one whome I may trust, that came very latelye out of the liberty, by whome I expected (if I cold have gotten hym) to have ben better
    informed off the trewe valewe of Tynne in those partes: for I well know that ordynarye merchantes are not to be dealt with therin, who seke by all meanes to conceale the great benefytt of their trades, whether it growe through the Englishe or forrein
    comodytes; and I can not thynke that by meanes of the generall companyes of Merchantes your Matie shalbe able to advance suche benyfytt to your selff off the Tynne as ys sett downe in the notes, but some other way must be thought off to rayse that, or
    happely some greater commodyte, which upon conferens hadd with the partie that gate the information (who as yt seemeth hathe muche and to purpose labored in the cawse) may be effected as I am perswaded. Upon my conferens off late with Mr. Myddelton, I
    fynd ther can not be so muche Tynne . . . weight off Tynne . . . At Wellington, the ixth of August, A.D. 1598

The LORD Jesus Christ, Jews, The House of Joseph, Gentiles and Heathens: A Careful Study of the TINNEY Surname from Worldwide Origins.
    http://www.academic-genealogy.com/thelordjesuschristjewsjosephgentilesheathenstinneyelijah.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)