• Ireland Genealogy New search method?

From John Gilmour@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 18 17:51:47 2021
    When I was unable to locate any ancestors through the Birth - Marriage - Death Film Records, I thought I had reached a dead end, and began going through material gathered during my search years! I came across a land owners list of 1865, but held on to it,
    not knowing why right away? a week later it dawned on me that ireland lands are leased for life, Father to Son, and it came to me that , that would indicate your neighbours are your neighbours for life, and then my mind? I have insational Curiosity, I
    wondered if I might Find in the current Phone listings, anyone having a name on that 1865 document, and had any connection at all to the TOwnland, of interest, I might just get lucky?
    Well I found a family name (none of my ancestors, however 3 family's with a surname listed on the 1865 land-owners list, I prepared and sent inquiry letters to all three of the families, one family responded, and indicated the other two families were too
    young to be able to help! this sweet lady, gave me the Name Address and suggested I contact Him, and she said, he would be thrilled!
    I sent the same inquiry letter to the man listed as being the owner of my GGGGrandfathers Homestead, and he was so excited about the connection, He phoned me direct, over time exchanging information and photo's, I had planned on paying a visit in 2009,
    however I suffered a Stroke, and that pretty well ended my Dream of visiting my ancient ancestors Homestead, it was such an emotional moment for me, I went euphoric, I was literally ""FLOATING""! Don't Give up, If there is a Will, there is a Way!! best
    wishes on your Search!
    John Gilmour Toronto Canada

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From RoddyMcCorley@21:1/5 to John Gilmour on Mon Sep 20 00:11:09 2021
    On 9/18/2021 8:51 PM, John Gilmour wrote:
    When I was unable to locate any ancestors through the Birth - Marriage - Death Film Records, I thought I had reached a dead end, and began going through material gathered during my search years! I came across a land owners list of 1865, but held on to
    it, not knowing why right away? a week later it dawned on me that ireland lands are leased for life, Father to Son, and it came to me that , that would indicate your neighbours are your neighbours for life, and then my mind? I have insational Curiosity,
    I wondered if I might Find in the current Phone listings, anyone having a name on that 1865 document, and had any connection at all to the TOwnland, of interest, I might just get lucky?
    Well I found a family name (none of my ancestors, however 3 family's with a surname listed on the 1865 land-owners list, I prepared and sent inquiry letters to all three of the families, one family responded, and indicated the other two families were
    too young to be able to help! this sweet lady, gave me the Name Address and suggested I contact Him, and she said, he would be thrilled!
    I sent the same inquiry letter to the man listed as being the owner of my GGGGrandfathers Homestead, and he was so excited about the connection, He phoned me direct, over time exchanging information and photo's, I had planned on paying a visit in 2009,
    however I suffered a Stroke, and that pretty well ended my Dream of visiting my ancient ancestors Homestead, it was such an emotional moment for me, I went euphoric, I was literally ""FLOATING""! Don't Give up, If there is a Will, there is a Way!! best
    wishes on your Search!
    John Gilmour Toronto Canada

Thanks for that bit of info on leases for life. Where in Ireland is your
    family from?

Dennis

--
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
    practice, there is." Ruben Goldberg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)