• Henderson family of Killyleagh, Co. Down

From Christophe Morand du Puch@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 2 02:21:25 2021
    Dear family historians,

I'm researching the roots of two Irish women, Frances Mary (Fanny, 1845-1902) and Jane Eleonore (1849-1923) Henderson.

They were baptized in Booterstown, near Dublin, daughters of Richard Stafford Henderson (died circa 1854) and Mary Ann Harrington (died 1862). Both girls came to France circa 1860-1865 and married into local families. Fanny is my great-great-grandmother.

They had ties with some prominent families in Ireland and England.

Their maternal uncles were:

- Lord James Henry Monahan (1804-1878), Chief Justice of the Common Pleas, husband of their mother's sister Fanny Harrington. I've been in contact with some of their descendants, and visited their grave in Glasnevin cemetery, Dublin. Unfortunately I
    couldn't get information about the Harringtons through this.

- Nicholas Herbert Harrington (died 1887), postmaster at York (England), reserve officer, playwrite, close friend of Charles Dickens and Edmund Hodgson Yates.

I also have scarce information about their parents Richard Henderson and Mary Ann Harrington:

- they lived in Merrion Parade or Terrace, near Dublin, as it appears from Dublin Almanac and Thom's Irish Almanac. Merrion is very close to Booterstown.

- Mary Ann might have been the daughter of Nicholas Harrington (name given in Lord Monahan's biography) and Elliz Keon, married in Dublin (St. Mary's Pro Cathedral) in 1806 (source: church records; four children are listed for this couple, baptized at
    Saint Michan, including a Marianna in 1814).

- It is documented both in Irish and French documents that Richard Henderson worked as a cashier for the Northern Railway of Ireland company. He might also have been a barrister before that. He's called "Richard Stafford Henderson" in French documents,
    but he might also have been this "Richard Stratton Henderson, second son of Thomas Stafford Henderson, of Killyleagh, Co. Down", that appears in King's Inn and Gray's Inn admissions registers.

- There are genealogical notes for the Henderson family of Killyleagh kept in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (ref. T 1387) covering years 1631-1885. Unfortunately, I don't know what they contain.

In brief, I'd be happy to know whether someone here has come accross or even researched these individuals or their families.

Best wishes from France,

Christophe du Puch

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Leo Isenteze@21:1/5 to Christophe Morand du Puch on Fri Apr 2 22:10:55 2021
    On 4/2/2021 5:21 AM, Christophe Morand du Puch wrote:
    Dear family historians,

I'm researching the roots of two Irish women, Frances Mary (Fanny, 1845-1902) and Jane Eleonore (1849-1923) Henderson.

They were baptized in Booterstown, near Dublin, daughters of Richard Stafford Henderson (died circa 1854) and Mary Ann Harrington (died 1862). Both girls came to France circa 1860-1865 and married into local families. Fanny is my great-great-
    grandmother.

- Lord James Henry Monahan (1804-1878), Chief Justice of the Common Pleas, husband of their mother's sister Fanny Harrington. I've been in contact with some of their descendants, and visited their grave in Glasnevin cemetery, Dublin. Unfortunately I

- Nicholas Herbert Harrington (died 1887), postmaster at York (England), reserve officer, playwrite, close friend of Charles Dickens and Edmund Hodgson Yates.

I also have scarce information about their parents Richard Henderson and Mary Ann Harrington:

- they lived in Merrion Parade or Terrace, near Dublin, as it appears from Dublin Almanac and Thom's Irish Almanac. Merrion is very close to Booterstown.

- Mary Ann might have been the daughter of Nicholas Harrington (name given in Lord Monahan's biography) and Elliz Keon, married in Dublin (St. Mary's Pro Cathedral) in 1806 (source: church records; four children are listed for this couple, baptized at
    Saint Michan, including a Marianna in 1814).

- It is documented both in Irish and French documents that Richard Henderson worked as a cashier for the Northern Railway of Ireland company. He might also have been a barrister before that. He's called "Richard Stafford Henderson" in French documents,
    but he might also have been this "Richard Stratton Henderson, second son of Thomas Stafford Henderson, of Killyleagh, Co. Down", that appears in King's Inn and Gray's Inn admissions registers.

- There are genealogical notes for the Henderson family of Killyleagh kept in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (ref. T 1387) covering years 1631-1885. Unfortunately, I don't know what they contain.

In brief, I'd be happy to know whether someone here has come accross or even researched these individuals or their families.

Best wishes from France,

Christophe du Puch

I see a problem with your information about Richard Stafford Henderson
    (died circa 1854) being a cashier for the Northern Railway of Ireland.

Northern Railway of Ireland did not exist before 1875.

Northern Railway of Ireland was formed by a merger of the Dublin and
    Drogheda Railway (D&D) with the Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway
    (D&BJct) in 1875.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Christophe Morand du Puch@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 3 01:05:39 2021
    Le samedi 3 avril 2021 à 04:11:06 UTC+2, Leo Isenteze a écrit :
    On 4/2/2021 5:21 AM, Christophe Morand du Puch wrote:
    Dear family historians,

They were baptized in Booterstown, near Dublin, daughters of Richard Stafford Henderson (died circa 1854) and Mary Ann Harrington (died 1862). Both girls came to France circa 1860-1865 and married into local families. Fanny is my great-great-
    grandmother.

- Mary Ann might have been the daughter of Nicholas Harrington (name given in Lord Monahan's biography) and Elliz Keon, married in Dublin (St. Mary's Pro Cathedral) in 1806 (source: church records; four children are listed for this couple, baptized
    at Saint Michan, including a Marianna in 1814).

- It is documented both in Irish and French documents that Richard Henderson worked as a cashier for the Northern Railway of Ireland company. He might also have been a barrister before that. He's called "Richard Stafford Henderson" in French
    documents, but he might also have been this "Richard Stratton Henderson, second son of Thomas Stafford Henderson, of Killyleagh, Co. Down", that appears in King's Inn and Gray's Inn admissions registers.

Best wishes from France,

Christophe du Puch

I see a problem with your information about Richard Stafford Henderson
    (died circa 1854) being a cashier for the Northern Railway of Ireland.

Northern Railway of Ireland did not exist before 1875.

Northern Railway of Ireland was formed by a merger of the Dublin and Drogheda Railway (D&D) with the Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway
    (D&BJct) in 1875.

You're right : "RS Henderson" was a cashier for the Dublin and Kingstown Railway Company in 1846 (Slater's National Commercial Directory of Ireland, p. 241).

He may have moved to another company later. The name I incorrectly stated is a mere translation of what is included in his daughter's marriage certificates.

Thanks for your help.

ChP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05