• Accuracy of IGI?

From ellenfromdownunder@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Philip O'Rourke on Thu Dec 7 21:02:08 2017
    On Monday, April 3, 2000 at 5:00:00 PM UTC+10, Philip O'Rourke wrote:
    ----- Original Message -----
    Coincidence or Incorrect date? I was looking for my gg Uncle in the IGI. Joseph Brannigan, son of John Patrick Brannigan and Mary Dwyer, born @
    in Ireland. Found Joseph Brannigan, son of John Brannigan and Mary Dwyer, born 1864 in Ireland. Can we trust the dates given?
    Rob
    (Flanagan, Finnegan, Tighe, Brannigan, Kennedy, Conroy, Forsyth(e),
    Clarke,
    Fitzpatrick, Walsh, Smith and Dwyer)

The IGI is a secondary source, as you will be cautioned at Family Search.
    The final responsibility for the accuracy of information lies with the researcher themselves and as a rule no secondary source of information
    should be used as the final source but should be corroborated at all times, where possible, in all available records. I have found over the years, to
    my consternation, that the accuracy of information becomes less each time it is passed from one source to another. I find it helpful to document the source as well as the information. Far too many people, including my self, have been set astray for long periods by others who state uncorroborated information as indisputable fact. I now use secondary sources as leads to
    be followed up.

Regards
    Philip
    http://www.familytreemaker.com/users/o/r/o/Philip-J-Orourke/

Also researching:
    BANFIELD..................................... of Kerry>Cork KEANE........................................... of West Cork DALTON........................................ of Carrick-on-Suir>Kerry COUGHLAN................................... of West Cork O'ROURKE/ROURKE/RORKE..... of Wexford FURLONG...................................... of Wexford
    O'BRIEN /BRYAN.......................... of Limerick>Kilkenny BRENNAN...................................... of Kilkenny MEEHAN........................................ of Kerry TAFFE............................................. of Kerry FARRELL........................................ of Kilkenny

Hi Philip,
    Would you please be able to share with me what you have on the Daltons of Carrick-on-Suir? I am trying to track the family of my ancestor James Dalton who was arrested in Tralee in 1841 and transported to Tasmania, AUS. He was from Clonmeen, near Kanturk,
    Co. Cork per his convict record, which seems to be in the vague vicinity of Carrick-on-Suir. I have no leads and am looking for anything I can to see if there is any connection.
    Cheers!
    Ellen

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)