• Cant find a birth cert

From eddieclarke1@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 2 08:25:00 2020
    I have traced my family history for years with all the usual difficulties but cant
    trace one family member he is my wife's grandfather i have his death cert for 1902 he in the census of 1901 and his marriage cert for 1897 he died of TB and his wife also.
    This is were it ends i cant trace his ancestors any further i cant find a birth cert it should be 1869, the only info i have is his fathers name from the marriage cert.
    All suggestions are welcome

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ian Goddard@21:1/5 to eddiec...@hotmail.com on Thu Sep 3 11:43:24 2020
    On 02/09/2020 16:25, eddiec...@hotmail.com wrote:
    I have traced my family history for years with all the usual difficulties but cant
    trace one family member he is my wife's grandfather i have his death cert for 1902 he in the census of 1901 and his marriage cert for 1897 he died of TB and his wife also.
    This is were it ends i cant trace his ancestors any further i cant find a birth cert it should be 1869, the only info i have is his fathers name from the marriage cert.

Was he born in Ireland?

We (wife's cousin and I) have a similar situation in my wife's family.
    His name was Charles Thomas so there's a distinct possibility that he
    was Welsh. Looking for the right Charles Thomas in Wales would be a
    needle in haystack job.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Therese Burke@21:1/5 to Ian Goddard on Fri Jan 1 15:37:28 2021
    On Thursday, 3 September 2020 at 11:43:26 UTC+1, Ian Goddard wrote:
    On 02/09/2020 16:25, eddiec...@hotmail.com wrote:

Was he born in Ireland?

We (wife's cousin and I) have a similar situation in my wife's family.
    His name was Charles Thomas so there's a distinct possibility that he
    was Welsh. Looking for the right Charles Thomas in Wales would be a
    needle in haystack job.

Hi
    I have the same problem with my maternal grandfather. He died in 1960 in his nineties.
    I cannot find a birth record for him anywhere. I have searched for over thirty years. It is possible he was never registered at all.
    Neither can I locate a marriage cert, though I found him in 1901 and 1911 census married. This is a mystery that has me stumped.
    I also have both death certs and their children's birth certs etc. He was John Farrell and she was Elizabeth nee McLoughlin.
    I would give anything to solve this puzzle.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Patrick Aki@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 2 21:53:37 2021
    Hi
    I have the same problem with my maternal grandfather. He died in 1960 in his nineties.
    I cannot find a birth record for him anywhere. I have searched for over thirty years. It is possible he was never registered at all.
    Neither can I locate a marriage cert, though I found him in 1901 and 1911 census married. This is a mystery that has me stumped.
    I also have both death certs and their children's birth certs etc. He was John Farrell and she was Elizabeth nee McLoughlin.
    I would give anything to solve this puzzle.

I looked through all 130+ John Farrells in the 1911 census. I then looked at the 1901 and 1911 census. In 1911 the family is in Cork and all the kids were either born in Westmeath or Dublin. In 1901, Joseph is 6 months old and Elizabeth was probably
    pregnant when she got married circa 1900.

My 3X great grandparents were in a similar situation. They registered the birth of their son, but never bothered to register their marriage as she was pregnant.

If they married in a Roman Catholic church in Westmeath or Dublin, your best bet to find a record would be with rootsireland. If they did register the marriage, then you should be able to order it via the GRO.

It might be difficult to find John Farrell's birth record as his birthdate keeps changing. In 1901 he claims to be 31, in 1911 he claims to be 43, and on his death record it states he is 94. He does claim to have been born in Dublin in both censuses, so
    at least that seems like a fact.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05