• Ancestry DNA

From Brian Skehan@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 14 15:24:29 2018
    To: GENANZ@rootsweb.com
    To: aus-vic-gippsland@rootsweb.com
    To: aus-tasmania@rootsweb.com

Dear List,
    I hope you don't mind me writing and having a little whinge so to speak.
    To all those people on the list who have taken a DNA test, can I please encourage you to add your families history however small to an Ancestry
    tree.
    If you are not on Ancestry or another site comparing DNA then please even if you just take up a month's subscriptiion to get your tree on there,please
    join because from where I am sitting there is not much point taking the test and then sitting back wondering if there is anyone out there connected.
    You will never find out.I took the test last year and have connected to
    quite a few people which is wonderful but I have just been going through my
    new
    matches and out of about 200 I would say that about 180 of those are wasted because they have no family tree added to Ancestry to look up to find
    where their connection is. I have over 2000 matches all told but only a very small percentage can be checked.I could write to all those people but it
    would make it more interesting and exciting if there were tree's to look at before making contact and save a lot of time.
    Please think about all the people you may connect with.
    Regards,
    Elaine

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Diana@21:1/5 to Brian Skehan on Sun Jan 14 16:14:51 2018
    To: bristol_and_somerset@rootsweb.com
    To: GENANZ@rootsweb.com
    To: aus-vic-gippsland@rootsweb.com
    To: aus-tasmania@rootsweb.com

I agree with you Elaine. Three quarters of my matches have no trees. I
    feel so disappointed with the DNA results. If only they realised how
    exciting it is to find matches.
    Diana

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2018 3:24 PM
    To: bristol_and_somerset@rootsweb.com ; GENANZ@rootsweb.com ; aus-vic-gippsland@rootsweb.com ; aus-tasmania@rootsweb.com
    Subject: Ancestry DNA

Dear List,
    To all those people on the list who have taken a DNA test, can I please encourage you to add your families history however small to an Ancestry
    tree.
    If you are not on Ancestry or another site comparing DNA then please even if you just take up a month's subscriptiion to get your tree on there,please
    join because from where I am sitting there is not much point taking the test and then sitting back wondering if there is anyone out there connected.
    quite a few people which is wonderful but I have just been going through my
    new
    matches and out of about 200 I would say that about 180 of those are wasted because they have no family tree added to Ancestry to look up to find
    where their connection is. I have over 2000 matches all told but only a very small percentage can be checked.I could write to all those people but it
    would make it more interesting and exciting if there were tree's to look at before making contact and save a lot of time.
    Regards,
    Elaine

-------------------------------
    To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to GENANZ-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
    in the subject and the body of the message

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Doug Laidlaw@21:1/5 to Diana on Sun Jan 21 04:09:53 2018
    I found the same thing on Wikitree, which tries to build a world tree.
    One person there has already done my family, and another has done my
    wife's family. I have been in contact with both for some time.
    Ancestry.com, although FTM has an "Australian" edition, still puts U.S.
    matches first, no matter how bad they are.

When I started out with genealogy, I wanted to have a small, compact
    tree of no more than 500 people. Now I have about 5 000.

Doug.

On 14/01/18 16:14, Diana wrote:
    I agree with you Elaine.  Three quarters of my matches have no trees.  I feel so disappointed with the DNA results.  If only they realised how exciting it is to find matches.
    Diana

-----Original Message----- From: Brian Skehan
    Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2018 3:24 PM
    To: bristol_and_somerset@rootsweb.com ; GENANZ@rootsweb.com ; aus-vic-gippsland@rootsweb.com ; aus-tasmania@rootsweb.com
    Subject: Ancestry DNA

Dear List,
    tree.
    If you are not on Ancestry or another site comparing DNA then please
    even if
    you just take up a month's subscriptiion to get your tree on there,please join because from where I am sitting there is not much point taking the
    test
    and then sitting back wondering if there is anyone out there connected.
    quite a few people which is wonderful but I have just been going through my new
    where their connection is. I have over 2000 matches all told but only a
    very
    small percentage can be checked.I could write to all those people but it would make it more interesting and exciting if there were tree's to look at before making contact and save a lot of time.
    Regards,
    Elaine

-------------------------------
    To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to GENANZ-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
    quotes in the subject and the body of the message

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05