• Buccinese Society...

From nancybargisen@gmail.com@21:1/5 to pjf...@gmail.com on Wed May 18 07:31:23 2016
    On Saturday, March 1, 2014 at 4:08:48 PM UTC-5, pjf...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, March 27, 2005 10:20:01 AM UTC-5, GloriaAnn Lardieri wrote:
    Does anyone has any information on this organization?

My grandfather was one of the founding members of it in Altoona, PA in
    the early 1900's but know little of it. From what I understand it is
    make up of individuals from the Campania region and those specifically
    from the city of Buccino. I've done google searches on it with no luck.
    I would be curious to see if anyone knows of it.

Gloria Ann

My grandfather was also a founding member of the society and I called the club and was given the name of 2 men that might know the history of the club. It appears to be a bar/restaurant now and in the summer I will go there and ask around. I'm afraid
    that 100 years is to long a time to try and piece together much history. There was a club in Newark N.J. that has since been torn down. I went there many times and have found memories of it. My uncle was the president for a number of years. If anyone
    can add to this post it would be appreciated.
    Patrick Fernicola

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From nancybargisen@gmail.com@21:1/5 to pjf...@gmail.com on Wed May 18 07:41:06 2016
    On Saturday, March 1, 2014 at 4:08:48 PM UTC-5, pjf...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, March 27, 2005 10:20:01 AM UTC-5, GloriaAnn Lardieri wrote:

Gloria Ann

My grandfather was also a founding member of the society and I called the club and was given the name of 2 men that might know the history of the club. It appears to be a bar/restaurant now and in the summer I will go there and ask around. I'm afraid
    that 100 years is to long a time to try and piece together much history. There was a club in Newark N.J. that has since been torn down. I went there many times and have found memories of it. My uncle was the president for a number of years. If anyone
    can add to this post it would be appreciated.
    Patrick Fernicola

Does anyone have information about the Buccinese club that was in Newark,NJ. Where was it located in Newark? My Grandparents, Joseph & Concetta (Nee Colucci or Golucci) Marasco moved from Altoona to
    Newark and were involved with both the Altoona and Newark clubs.
    Peter Sorge

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From stephieg714@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 29 20:56:06 2017
    The one in Newark is nomore, they moved it to Pennsylvania many years ago, it is still there. I know because of my relatives

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From cevans505.ce@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 19 13:04:42 2017
    Hi, my family name is Fasano and my family is also founders of the Buccinese society. We celebrated our family reunion at the club in Altoona this past summer.
    If you'd like to chat I'm on Facebook.
    Thank,
    Christine Fasano

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Free Flights to Italy NGO@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 20 07:47:53 2017
    Hi, my family name is Fasano and my family is also founders of the Buccinese society. We celebrated our family reunion at the club in Altoona this past summer.
    We have several members from Buccino (Italy) too.

--
    https://freeflightstoitaly.ngo
    https://freeflightstoitaly.ngo/genealogy.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bashueglin@gmail.com@21:1/5 to GloriaAnn Lardieri on Fri Jul 3 12:51:39 2020
    On Sunday, March 27, 2005 at 11:20:01 AM UTC-4, GloriaAnn Lardieri wrote:

Gloria Ann

Hi Gloria, My grandfather also was one of the founding members of the club. His name was Joseph Branda. Your grandfather’s name was one I heard when he and my mom would talk at the dinner table. The club was founded in 1910 apparently by immigrants
    to Altoona from Buccini who came to work on the railroad. The club was a social club as well as a club that provided various kinds of assistance to the Italians from their town. I remember that members of the Buccinese Society showed up at Santella’s
    Funeral Home when my uncle died and said some prayers and sang a hymn.

My cousins from the Hungarian side of the family remembers goi g to the club on Friday nights for pasta e fagioli that cost 25 cents a bowl. It was also a place where you could get a drink after closing time.

The Buccinese Society was one of a number of Italian Clubs in Altoona that were formed by groups representing g various sections of Italy. My aunt’s family belonged to a club for the Italians from the Abruzzi region. Here is one link to an article.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/29692975/buccinese-society-founding/

https://hsp.org/sites/default/files/legacy_files/migrated/buccinese.pdf

The second site is an article and picture of the club. I think you will find your grandfather there somewhere.
    I sadly have never been to the club. I grew up in Pittsburgh and when I visited my grandparents I just never got there. I believe it is still in Altoona although the 25 cents pasta is most likely gone.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05