• Any info on Family Silecchia in Grumo Appula...Thanks!

From Rich Florio@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 1 10:07:04 2015
    My paternal ancestors were Silecchias from Grumo Apula in Bari. Some emigrated to New York City around the turn of the Century. From my limited searching the surname does not appear to be a common one in Italy or America. I also have some papers listing
    a parcel of land in Grumo Apula which was in the family at least until the mid 1950's. Looking for any info at all. I have to say that with my maternal ancestors being from Scotland, I was very spoiled doing research on that side of the family. The
    Italian side is sooooo much harder, And not just because of the language barrier! Thanks for any help you can offer!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Retired@21:1/5 to Rich Florio on Tue Dec 1 13:33:03 2015
    On 12/1/15 1:07 PM, Rich Florio wrote:
    My paternal ancestors were Silecchias from Grumo Apula in Bari. Some emigrated to New York City around the turn of the Century. From my limited searching the surname does not appear to be a common one in Italy or America. I also have some papers
    listing a parcel of land in Grumo Apula which was in the family at least until the mid 1950's. Looking for any info at all. I have to say that with my maternal ancestors being from Scotland, I was very spoiled doing research on that side of the family.
    The Italian side is sooooo much harder, And not just because of the language barrier! Thanks for any help you can offer!

Have you tried the FamilySearch.org website?

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3ASilecchia

gets over a thousand hits for last name Silecchia. Two (Mary and
    Rocco) are listed as born in Bari (Barri) in 1899, in 1940 Census in
    NYC with 5 children.

Re maternal/paternal side, I have same problem. I can trace my
    father's English side back to 1630 immigrant to the colonies, and
    farther back in England. My mother was born in Italy (Abruzzo) in 1921.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Retired@21:1/5 to Rich Florio on Tue Dec 1 13:42:40 2015
    My paternal ancestors were Silecchias from Grumo Apula in Bari. Some emigrated to New York City around the turn of the Century. From my limited searching the surname does not appear to be a common one in Italy or America. I also have some papers
    listing a parcel of land in Grumo Apula which was in the family at least until the mid 1950's. Looking for any info at all. I have to say that with my maternal ancestors being from Scotland, I was very spoiled doing research on that side of the family.
    The Italian side is sooooo much harder, And not just because of the language barrier! Thanks for any help you can offer!

Also, have you looked at Ellis Island records at http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html

Just enter Last Name, leave all other defaults, should get 50 hits,
    almost all from Bari area.

To see the actual records, create a Free account to sign in.

---

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rich Florio@21:1/5 to Retired on Tue Dec 1 16:38:48 2015
    On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 1:33:05 PM UTC-5, Retired wrote:

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3ASilecchia

NYC with 5 children.

Yes I have found a decent amount of information, I think Rocco is my great-Uncle! I was hoping for some info from anyone familiar with the Bari region...particularly Grumo Appula. Thanks for your help!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rich Florio@21:1/5 to Retired on Tue Dec 1 16:40:22 2015
    On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 1:33:05 PM UTC-5, Retired wrote:

NYC with 5 children.

e found some good records including my Great-Grandfather Vitantonio Silecchia who emigrated from Grumo Appula, Bari in January 1909. Thanks!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05