• Listserv; Name Variations; Book Recommendations

From Christine De Angelis@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 20 00:51:09 2017
    Copy: janereed707@gmail.com (janereed707@gmail.com)

Hi Jane,
    I believe this Listserv is open to anyone who is interested in Italian genealogy; one does not need to be of Italian descent to participate.
    'My grandmothers name was incorrectly spelled about 4 different ways...'
    Please do not get hung up on name variations, surname or given name. You will save yourself a lot of stress if you learn to let that go.

That said, multiple name variations will increase your search parameters and the time it takes you to do an exhaustive search.  Bear in mind that names and documents were recorded in Latin, regional dialects, and more modernly, in Italian and sometimes
    in combination. 
    I have two book recommendations for you; one is nice if you have time, the other is a must read--must purchase.  You should be able to find used copies for about $20.00 USD.  Alternately, you can request them via interlibrary loan or they might be at
    an LDS Family History Center / genealogy library for browsing.
    1~must read)  Italian Genealogical Records by Trafford R. Cole ISBN:  0-916489-58-2  
    The entire book is outstanding and practical.  Chapter three is 'Meaning and Origin of Italian Surnames'.  He also dedicates a chapter to Italian history which you must not skip.

2~nice)  Our Italian Surnames by Joseph G. Fucilla ISBN:  0-8063-1187-8  This book is really best if you are interested in the etymology of names.

Also, it appears Familysearch.org has your town's records available digitally (Search>>Catalog>>Place)  https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/329003?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Most of the time, marriages took place in the woman's commune / town, so the banns and marriage act will be recorded there.  If the couple lived in the same town, no issues, but if the woman was from another town, things can get challenging.

Good luck!
    Christine De Angelisor D'Angelis or D'Angelo or Di Angelis or Di Angelo or De Angelo or De Angelio...
    depending on which document I find today :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Free Flights to Italy NGO@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 22 06:05:47 2017
    Hi Jane,
    I believe this Listserv is open to anyone who is interested in Italian genealogy

Actually, this is a newsgroup: soc.genealogy.italian
    Listserv is just a way to read the newsgroup, but most users (including
    the person you were replying to) prefer to read the newsgroup without
    using Listserv.

--
    https://www.freeflightstoitaly.ngo/genealogy.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)