• Pierre Genereux la soldat

From jeamyvil2019@outlook.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 6 18:07:23 2019
    Le jeudi 11 juillet 2002 20:20:43 UTC-4, jim simon a écrit :
    Denis,
    In my request as to Jette's source naming La Groye as Pierre's captain,
    you replied:

Likely because he used the list of companies from Roy/Malchelosse.

I have searched the National Library of Canada, Amicus search engine,
    for the works of Roy & Malchelosse. And although I have found many
    references and their work on the Carignan-Sallieres Regiment , I was
    unable to find any works concerning the captains or troops of the
    marines for the period of 1683 to early 1700, the years that both de
    Grais and La Groye were both active captains of the colonial troops.
    Have I over looked something?

Jette himself included both De Grais & La Groye in his dictionary. And I
    have found numerous references to both in my search of the National
    Archives of Canada, Colonial Archives, general correspondences. One particular dated 20 Oct., 1695, mentions them both.

I also searched Jette's Dictionary and found that he identified 19
    persons as soldiers of La Groye. Where did he get this information?

Pierre's marriage record is quite clear that his captain was de Grais,
    but the priest who recorded it may have misunderstood, and wrote De
    Grais instead od La Groye. And Pierre would probably not have known the difference. I do hope Pierre's commander was La Groye, simply because
    how, when, and what group of recruits he took command of is well
    documented, but at this point I am still not sure.

Any and all suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim Simon
    Anchorville Mi.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Danielle Liard@21:1/5 to jeamyv...@outlook.com on Wed Nov 25 21:52:18 2020
    On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 9:07:24 PM UTC-5, jeamyv...@outlook.com wrote:
    Le jeudi 11 juillet 2002 20:20:43 UTC-4, jim simon a écrit :
    Denis,
    In my request as to Jette's source naming La Groye as Pierre's captain, you replied:

Likely because he used the list of companies from Roy/Malchelosse.

I have searched the National Library of Canada, Amicus search engine,
    for the works of Roy & Malchelosse. And although I have found many references and their work on the Carignan-Sallieres Regiment , I was unable to find any works concerning the captains or troops of the
    marines for the period of 1683 to early 1700, the years that both de
    Grais and La Groye were both active captains of the colonial troops.
    Have I over looked something?

Jette himself included both De Grais & La Groye in his dictionary. And I have found numerous references to both in my search of the National Archives of Canada, Colonial Archives, general correspondences. One particular dated 20 Oct., 1695, mentions them both.

I also searched Jette's Dictionary and found that he identified 19
    persons as soldiers of La Groye. Where did he get this information?

Pierre's marriage record is quite clear that his captain was de Grais,
    but the priest who recorded it may have misunderstood, and wrote De
    Grais instead od La Groye. And Pierre would probably not have known the difference. I do hope Pierre's commander was La Groye, simply because
    how, when, and what group of recruits he took command of is well documented, but at this point I am still not sure.

Any and all suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim Simon
    Anchorville Mi.
    Hello all,

This conversation is old, but in regards the officers of the Marine companies to New France, ie Compagnies Franches de la Marine au Canada, there is now a published book about all the officers, by Marcel Fournier as director, covering from 1683-1760.
    ''Les officiers des troupes de la marine au Canada, 1683-1760'', sous la direction de Marcel Fournier, 2017 Éd. Septentrion ISBN 978-2-89448-905-5 also exists in pdf ISBN 978-2-89448-275-9 and e-pub ISBN 978-2-89448-276-6

To summarize the two named captains in this conversation:
    Charles Henri d'Aloigny, marquis de La Groye, he is a lieutenant in Canada in 1683, variations levels of captain between 1688 and 1691, ensign on a ship in 1692, commander in fort Frontenac in 1700 .... (pg 281)

de Graye (variant of de Grais), there are 2 brothers serving in the colony at the same time period:

Claude Charles Le Gouès de Graye et de Merville,.. captain in 1694, ...retired from the army in 1701 and returned to France
    Louis Joseph Le Gouès de Graye et de Préaux, ..captain in 1694, ... and married here to Marguerite Angélique Legardeur de Tilly that year. (pg 408-9)

Neither of the de Graye brothers is listed as a Chevalier de l'Ordre de St-Louis, whereas the Marquis de La Groye was. There has been an assumption that ''chevalier''' only applied to those in that order. Not true, chevalier is a lower level of
    nobility also. Pierre Généreux's marriage reads ''soldat de Monsieur le Chevalier de Grais''. No mention of the ordre de St-Louis there.

Danielle Liard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)