• [Carib] CARIBBEAN Digest, Vol 12, Issue 83

From Jack Fallin@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 16 14:55:31 2017
    Dear Rod and all,

I can’t emphasize enough the importance of Y DNA testing in terms of sorting out the odd spellings foisted on Irish names over the centuries. My case presented a plain problem [as you say “Fallon” looked a better choice] and my original 67-marker
    STR test immediately resolved it in favor of O Faolain - Phelan, Whalen. As an aside “Ph” as an initial consonant could not be more foreign - it apparently didn’t exist in either old English or Gaelic, rather it comes from the Greek. Either some
    pompous English scribe decided to show off his “education” or, worse yet, an Irishman hoping to look “educated” glued it to his own name.

Jack

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 20:25:01 +0000
    To: <caribbean@rootsweb.com>
    Subject: [Carib] Irish origins in the Caribbean
    Message-ID: <001d01d376ab$f9a40ec0$ecec2c40$@odonoghue.co.uk>
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Jack

? Faol?in, ? Faoile?in, ? hAol?in normally leading to (O)Phelan, Whelan, Whalen are good solid Gaelic names as you say. Do you know that your 1671 Charles Fallin did come from the islands?

I must say my first assumption for Fallin would have been Fallon, Falloon based on ? Fallamhain as you say, but anglicised Irish names are a
    minefield.

The fact that you have troubled to establish the originating Gaelic name and potential tribe suggests to me that you have a greater interest than many in your Irish roots. It sounds as if it means something to you.

I hoping that we can find more folk like you who can trace their Irish/Caribbean origins and display an interest in their Irish heritage.

Rod

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)