• [Carib] Newspapering & emigration

From lwa101@comcast.net@21:1/5 to Caribbean List on Sat Dec 16 08:55:18 2017
    Dear Chris,
    I am just reading emails now and your sage response. Heavens, fella, you mustn’t think I would ever set out to purposefully rap knuckles, so the only viable choice is that my missive (missile?) was meant to provoke a bit of thoughtful reflection by all
    those of us who benefit from journalism yet decline to actually support it.

Which reminds me, thank goodness our forefathers got the news in print and not the ether. Whilst digital media are marvels for storage, the newspapers are bastions of retrieval via microfilm. No matter who introduces what new operating system, there will
    always be magnifying glasses.

Onward.

Could someone suggest good sources to aid my understanding of the Scotland-Caribbean (DWI) connection in the late 1700s, early 1800s? I am looking for economic/cultural reasons for migration from the former to the latter. Looking for why my Thomas Gray,
    stone mason, came out of Haddington (20 miles east of Edinburgh) and thence to St. Croix.

Cheers from a teeth-chattering North Carolina,
    Laura

On Dec 12, 2017, at 8:37 AM, Chris Codrington <cmcod@optimum.net> wrote:

Laura
    Being 65 I spent most of my life reading newspapers and lugging bags of Sunday NYTimes to the curb. I also went to Newhouse school of journalism at Syracuse University although I transferred and changed major rather than continuing in that direction. It
    was unnecessary to defend journalists against a simple and very general observation that coverage of the West Indies is often nearly non existent in the more common US sources. I was speaking of television and or newspaper news orgs usually observed
    here in the Northeast corridor of the United States.
    I have at least three friends or family members who are journalists of various descriptions so I rely on them to correct me when I am ruthlessly unjust.
    I believe this was the first time I have uttered such a criticism for a long long time and am a flagrant liberal anyway.
    So no harm no foul but if there is any sort of inter personal issue underlying this drop me a private line
    In the meantime freedom of the press is safe from me.
    Cod

-----Original Message-----
    From: CARIBBEAN [mailto:caribbean-bounces+cmcod=optimum.net@rootsweb.com] On Behalf Of Comcast
    Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:26 AM
    To: caribbean@rootsweb.com
    Subject: Re: [Carib] Hurricane

Peter, let us know what you need that we can help with. I could send you, for example, a fruitcake :-)

Regarding the comment about the "media" (as though it were one entity), I must say there are very few journalists left, actually. Remember that newspaper subscription you cancelled? Remember how you now get your news for free in the web? So please ask
    yourself which journalists you're now supporting before you criticize the few who are scrambling to cover what they can. Then go subscribe to something. We all rely on newspapers for a lot of major ancestral research. And remember, most of our ancestors
    probably bought the newspaper. And that how we pay for the journalists you and I long for when we need someone we trust to be our eyes and ears when we cannot personally go and see.

Ok. I will now take my soapbox and go back to my corner!

Laura

The Caribbean List now has a Resources Page at Historic Antigua and Barbuda http://www.rootsweb.com/~atgwgw/
    -------------------------------
    To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to CARIBBEAN-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Chris Codrington@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 16 09:40:13 2017
    Hi Laura
    Thanks for your note.
    Indeed...I must be a bit hyper vigilant due to a very intrusive case of lumbar stenosis....
    So excuse me...I love your contributions to this list!

Ive been reading letters and notes in a digitized version of VL Oliver's History of Antigua
    My pattern of study has been to run searches of certain Scots or Irish names and then browse the references, I've had an opportunity to scan many bits of correspondence associated with these folk. It is amazing just how closely linked many were.
    Very few are going out to the islands "cold" and a lot of people moved around too. The Kin and business "webs" were the primary means of securing opportunities and there were it seems always a few who were more adept at networking than others. For
    instance Dr Walter Tullideph was very active in keeping track of the comings and goings of Scots in the leewards during his time. His surviving letters are full of chat noting the movements of this person or that and their developing or deteriorating
    fortunes. His letterbooks are in Edinburgh but I keep hoping to find a digital copy one of these days as he mentions people I need to study.

It's very likely Thomas Grey would have had references and or a letter of recommendation to someone on St Croix. Naturally most of this is invisible to us but traces often survive and sometimes doing a broad reconnoitering of the surviving info on the
    community can yield a clue or two. I wish there were more compendiums of mercantile correspondence from the time as that would yield such goodies.
    Im still a raw amateur.
    Cod

-----Original Message-----
    From: CARIBBEAN [mailto:caribbean-bounces+cmcod=optimum.net@rootsweb.com] On Behalf Of lwa101@comcast.net
    Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2017 8:55 AM
    To: Caribbean List <caribbean@rootsweb.com>
    Subject: [Carib] Newspapering & emigration

Dear Chris,
    I am just reading emails now and your sage response. Heavens, fella, you mustn’t think I would ever set out to purposefully rap knuckles, so the only viable choice is that my missive (missile?) was meant to provoke a bit of thoughtful reflection by all
    those of us who benefit from journalism yet decline to actually support it.

Which reminds me, thank goodness our forefathers got the news in print and not the ether. Whilst digital media are marvels for storage, the newspapers are bastions of retrieval via microfilm. No matter who introduces what new operating system, there will
    always be magnifying glasses.

Onward.

Could someone suggest good sources to aid my understanding of the Scotland-Caribbean (DWI) connection in the late 1700s, early 1800s? I am looking for economic/cultural reasons for migration from the former to the latter. Looking for why my Thomas Gray,
    stone mason, came out of Haddington (20 miles east of Edinburgh) and thence to St. Croix.

Cheers from a teeth-chattering North Carolina, Laura

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)