• [Carib] John DePass - question for you

From linval.depass@gmail.com@21:1/5 to lwa...@comcast.net on Wed Dec 6 17:17:38 2017
    On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 8:36:13 AM UTC-7, lwa...@comcast.net wrote:
    Hi, Charles,
    What an interesting progenitor you have. Now, please tell us what records you already have. Did you check NARA, Louisiana archives, and the PRO?

Cheers,
    Laura

On Aug 21, 2016, at 1:18 PM, cwdavidson1125@gmail.com wrote:

John DePass

I'm investigating the genealogy of my third grand father John Jacob DePass. He was one of only 128 black commissioned officers in the Civil War staring with the 1st regiment of the Louisiana Native Guard which later became the 73rd regiment or the
    USCT (United States Colored Troops). I find, through records listed in Jamaica Family Search, Sephardic Jewish Congregation Kingston Jamaica, that he was married to Rebecca and had four children, Abraham (b 8/26/1852), Egbert(b 9/11/1853), Jane A (b 16/
    8/1857 and Moses (b 29/7/1855). I have also found (census for New Orleans 1860) that a child (Augustus Simon my great grandfather) was born in New Orleans around 1859-1860.

I have not any indication of marriage for John DePass in the records of theSephardic Jewish Congregation, but did find a record of Jacob DePass of Abraham to Rebecca of Moses Pereina D'Costa. Is there any prof that this is the same person?

Rebecca and the children returned to Jamaica where she died in St Andrews Parish on
    July 20, 1907.

John DePass resigned from the Army on Feb 27, 1863 saying that he had property in Kingston. However, I find he Married Mary married Mary Celestial Butts in Norfolk Virginia Jan 11, 1866 and died in Albany, NY on June 3,1892.

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Charles W. Davidson
    Long Valley, Nj

The Caribbean List now has a Resources Page at Historic Antigua and Barbuda http://www.rootsweb.com/~atgwgw/
    -------------------------------
    To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to CARIBBEAN-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

Hello Charles,

I was checking information on John Jacob DePass, my great grandfather, and i saw your note. I agree with much of what you said and i do believe that the Jacob DePass who married Rebecca D'Costa was the same person. However, i'm not sure that the John
    dePass who married in Virginia and died in Albany is the same person. Our John said that he was returning to England after stopping in Jamaica. I don't know where he ended up. i do know that there were at least 2 persons in that era named John Jacob
    dePass. Let me know if you uncovered any more information after you sent this email.

Happy holidays!

Linval

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Comcast@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 6 23:14:25 2017
    Hello, everyone,
    I have a general question for you. Does anyone know of a particular connection, possibly trade but perhaps religious, between the Caribbean and Albany, NY? I have a progenitor from Haddington, Scotland, who settled in St. Croix, DWI, and married a woman,
    said to be from Albany, in the late 1700s/early 1800s. Her maiden name was Gruesbeck (loads of alternate spellings, among them Grosbeck, Gruesbeck, Gruesbeck, etc.). I’m wondering why she happened to be in St. Croix.

Cheers to all from a very chilly North Carolina (snow expected),
    Laura

On Dec 6, 2017, at 8:17 PM, linval.depass@gmail.com wrote:

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 8:36:13 AM UTC-7, lwa...@comcast.net wrote:
    Hi, Charles,
    What an interesting progenitor you have. Now, please tell us what records you already have. Did you check NARA, Louisiana archives, and the PRO?

Cheers,
    Laura

On Aug 21, 2016, at 1:18 PM, cwdavidson1125@gmail.com wrote:

John DePass

I'm investigating the genealogy of my third grand father John Jacob DePass. He was one of only 128 black commissioned officers in the Civil War staring with the 1st regiment of the Louisiana Native Guard which later became the 73rd regiment or the
    USCT (United States Colored Troops). I find, through records listed in Jamaica Family Search, Sephardic Jewish Congregation Kingston Jamaica, that he was married to Rebecca and had four children, Abraham (b 8/26/1852), Egbert(b 9/11/1853), Jane A (b 16/
    8/1857 and Moses (b 29/7/1855). I have also found (census for New Orleans 1860) that a child (Augustus Simon my great grandfather) was born in New Orleans around 1859-1860.

I have not any indication of marriage for John DePass in the records of theSephardic Jewish Congregation, but did find a record of Jacob DePass of Abraham to Rebecca of Moses Pereina D'Costa. Is there any prof that this is the same person?

Rebecca and the children returned to Jamaica where she died in St Andrews Parish on
    July 20, 1907.

John DePass resigned from the Army on Feb 27, 1863 saying that he had property in Kingston. However, I find he Married Mary married Mary Celestial Butts in Norfolk Virginia Jan 11, 1866 and died in Albany, NY on June 3,1892.

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Charles W. Davidson
    Long Valley, Nj

The Caribbean List now has a Resources Page at Historic Antigua and Barbuda http://www.rootsweb.com/~atgwgw/
    To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to CARIBBEAN-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

Hello Charles,

I was checking information on John Jacob DePass, my great grandfather, and i saw your note. I agree with much of what you said and i do believe that the Jacob DePass who married Rebecca D'Costa was the same person. However, i'm not sure that the John
    dePass who married in Virginia and died in Albany is the same person. Our John said that he was returning to England after stopping in Jamaica. I don't know where he ended up. i do know that there were at least 2 persons in that era named John Jacob
    dePass. Let me know if you uncovered any more information after you sent this email.

Happy holidays!

Linval

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)