• [Carib] Hurricane

From Comcast@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 2 10:53:38 2017
    Has anyone heard from St. Croix? Peter Moll? Dante?

On Oct 2, 2017, at 10:47 AM, mav6946@gmail.com wrote:

Ok, so I have his maritime records. He was reported as missing on March 3 1925 on a fyffes and elder banana boat which sailed from Kingston, Jamaica via Tela, honduras on its way back to avonmouth, Bristol. I believe the boat was the Ss Bayano.
    Official records not him as disappeared!
    The plot thickens
    The Caribbean List now has a Resources Page at Historic Antigua and Barbuda http://www.rootsweb.com/~atgwgw/
    -------------------------------
    To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to CARIBBEAN-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ernest Wiltshire@21:1/5 to Comcast on Mon Oct 2 14:05:11 2017
    I have been wondering about this myself: there has been no mention on
    our Canadian news broadcasts of the situation in the American or British
    Virgin Islands, as they seem concerned only with Puerto Rico.
    I do hope that the problem is lack of electricity or telecommunications,
    and that all are well.
    Any ideas Cod?

On 2017-10-02 12:53 PM, Comcast wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mreilly169@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 2 15:59:51 2017
    SXQgaXMgaGlnaGx5IHVubGlrZWx5IG1hbnkgcGVvcGxlIHRoZXJlIGhhdmUgZWxlY3RyaWNpdHkg eWV0LCBvciBwaG9uZSBzZXJ2aWNlLsKgIFZlcnkgaGVhdnkgZGFtYWdlIGhhcyBiZWVuIHJlcG9y dGVkIG9uIHN0LiBUaG9tYXMgYW5kIHN0LiBDcm9peCwgYnV0IGZldyBmYXRhbGl0aWVzLsKgIEkg c2F3IGEgcmVwb3J0IHRoYXQgdGhpbmdzIGFyZSBiYWQgZW5vdWdoIHRoYXQgcGVvcGxlIHdlcmUg ZXZhY3VhdGluZyB0byBQdWVydG8gUmljbyBieSBzbWFsbCBib2F0LsKgIFRoZXJlIG11c3Qgc29t ZSBwcm9ncmVzcyB0aG91Z2ggYmVjYXVzZSB0aGV5IGFubm91bmNlZCB0aGUgc2Nob29scyB3aWxs IHJlb3BlbiBvbiBzdC4gSm9obiBhbmQgc3QuIFRob21hcyBuZXh0IHdlZWsuCgpTZW50IHZpYSB0 aGUgU2Ftc3VuZyBHYWxheHkgUzgrLCBhbiBBVCZUIDRHIExURSBzbWFydHBob25lCi0tLS0tLS0t IE9yaWdpbmFsIG1lc3NhZ2UgLS0tLS0tLS1Gcm9tOiBFcm5lc3QgV2lsdHNoaXJlIDxtdXJjb3RA c3luYXBzZS5uZXQ+IERhdGU6IDEwLzIvMTcgIDE6MDUgUE0gIChHTVQtMDY6MDApIFRvOiBjYXJp YmJlYW5Acm9vdHN3ZWIuY29tIFN1YmplY3Q6IFJlOiBbQ2FyaWJdIEh1cnJpY2FuZSAKSSBoYXZl IGJlZW4gd29uZGVyaW5nIGFib3V0IHRoaXMgbXlzZWxmOiB0aGVyZSBoYXMgYmVlbiBubyBtZW50 aW9uIG9uIApvdXIgQ2FuYWRpYW4gbmV3cyBicm9hZGNhc3RzIG9mIHRoZSBzaXR1YXRpb24gaW4g dGhlIEFtZXJpY2FuIG9yIEJyaXRpc2ggClZpcmdpbiBJc2xhbmRzLCBhcyB0aGV5IHNlZW0gY29u Y2VybmVkIG9ubHkgd2l0aCBQdWVydG8gUmljby4KSSBkbyBob3BlIHRoYXQgdGhlIHByb2JsZW0g aXMgbGFjayBvZiBlbGVjdHJpY2l0eSBvciB0ZWxlY29tbXVuaWNhdGlvbnMsIAphbmQgdGhhdCBh bGwgYXJlIHdlbGwuCkFueSBpZGVhcyBDb2Q/CgpPbiAyMDE3LTEwLTAyIDEyOjUzIFBNLCBDb21j YXN0IHdyb3RlOgo+IEhhcyBhbnlvbmUgaGVhcmQgZnJvbSBTdC4gQ3JvaXg/IFBldGVyIE1vbGw/ IERhbnRlPwoKwqDCoMKgwqAgKioqKioqKioqKioqKioqKioqKioqKioqKioqClRoZSBDYXJpYmJl YW4gTGlzdCBub3cgaGFzIGEgUmVzb3VyY2VzIFBhZ2UgYXQgSGlzdG9yaWMgQW50aWd1YSBhbmQg QmFyYnVkYSBodHRwOi8vd3d3LnJvb3Rzd2ViLmNvbS9+YXRnd2d3LwotLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0t LS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tClRvIHVuc3Vic2NyaWJlIGZyb20gdGhlIGxpc3QsIHBsZWFzZSBzZW5k IGFuIGVtYWlsIHRvIENBUklCQkVBTi1yZXF1ZXN0QHJvb3Rzd2ViLmNvbSB3aXRoIHRoZSB3b3Jk ICd1bnN1YnNjcmliZScgd2l0aG91dCB0aGUgcXVvdGVzIGluIHRoZSBzdWJqZWN0IGFuZCB0aGUg Ym9keSBvZiB0aGUgbWVzc2FnZQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Codrington@21:1/5 to Comcast on Tue Oct 3 09:36:19 2017
    Hi Ernest
    Yes they sure did move all their attention to PR!!! I've been
    picking up some news off Facebook because there are a group of
    former classmates down in St. John,
    And St Croix. The Nat Guard has been very active distributing
    food and nec supplies. They got an ice plant running on St Croix
    and have been distributing ice to help with refrigeration. They
    have eased curfews abit to facilitate recovery work. Friends on
    St. John said everyone was ok but they would be living
    primitively for some time.I haven't heard much from St Martin or
    Dominica but there is a stream of correspondents reporting in
    online at the Caribbean Hurricane Network

http://stormcarib.com

The US Coast Guard and Navy got into the Virgins pretty quick,
    buit I don't have any hard information on it.
    Barbuda evac order was rescinded to allow some people to begin
    recovery work
    Cod

-----Original Message-----
    [mailto:caribbean-bounces+cmcod=optimum.net@rootsweb.com] On
    Behalf Of Ernest Wiltshire
    Sent: Monday, October 2, 2017 2:05 PM
    To: caribbean@rootsweb.com
    Subject: Re: [Carib] Hurricane

I have been wondering about this myself: there has been no
    mention on our Canadian news broadcasts of the situation in the
    American or British Virgin Islands, as they seem concerned only
    with Puerto Rico.
    I do hope that the problem is lack of electricity or
    telecommunications, and that all are well.
    Any ideas Cod?

On 2017-10-02 12:53 PM, Comcast wrote:

The Caribbean List now has a Resources Page at Historic Antigua
    and Barbuda http://www.rootsweb.com/~atgwgw/
    To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to CARIBBEAN-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe'
    without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dante C. Beretta@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 4 01:25:36 2017
    The word from my family on St. Thomas is that they are ok- lots of damage on the islands, but supplies getting in. communication spotty at times but I’ve been able to talk by phone, text and communicate by Facebook. Some areas starting again with
    power, with expectation to restore all by December?. Mail service just starting up again.

Dante

On Oct 2, 2017, at 3:59 PM, caribbean-request@rootsweb.com wrote:

Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 10:53:38 -0600
    From: Comcast <lwa101@comcast.net <mailto:lwa101@comcast.net>>
    To: caribbean@rootsweb.com <mailto:caribbean@rootsweb.com>
    Subject: [Carib] Hurricane
    Message-ID: <A954E4AF-A5D9-41C3-9C46-EDD1D1D14AEB@comcast.net <mailto:A954E4AF-A5D9-41C3-9C46-EDD1D1D14AEB@comcast.net>>
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ernest Wiltshire@21:1/5 to Peter Moll on Mon Dec 11 16:46:51 2017
    Dear Peter: So glad to have news of you: the press has a very short
    attention span, and we have had absolutely no news of the islands. Happy
    that you are well, but saddened by the hardships you are all still
    suffering.
    Please keep us informed of your progress and of anything we might be
    able to do to help.
    Ernest Wiltshire

On 2017-12-11 4:36 PM, Peter Moll wrote:
    Hurricanes took away our roof, power and phone lines. Living in a fairly untouched apartment below, with a generator on a few hours at night.
    Fighting mould a big problem. Just written off several books we had had on display, including Caribbean in Sepia and Jill Walker's lovely pictorial
    book on Barbados
    Only very recent access to email.
    Thanks, Listers, for your concern.
    just interviewed for an upcoming book, The Irma Diaries by Angela Burnett Peter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Moll@21:1/5 to Chris Codrington via on Mon Dec 11 17:36:16 2017
    Hurricanes took away our roof, power and phone lines. Living in a fairly untouched apartment below, with a generator on a few hours at night.
    Fighting mould a big problem. Just written off several books we had had on display, including Caribbean in Sepia and Jill Walker's lovely pictorial
    book on Barbados

On Oct 4, 2017 2:26 AM, "Dante C. Beretta" <dberetta@meltel.net> wrote:

The word from my family on St. Thomas is that they are ok- lots of damage
    on the islands, but supplies getting in. communication spotty at times but I’ve been able to talk by phone, text and communicate by Facebook. Some areas starting again with power, with expectation to restore all by December?. Mail service just starting up again.

Dante

Message-ID: <A954E4AF-A5D9-41C3-9C46-EDD1D1D14AEB@comcast.net <mailto:
    A954E4AF-A5D9-41C3-9C46-EDD1D1D14AEB@comcast.net>>

The Caribbean List now has a Resources Page at Historic Antigua and
    Barbuda http://www.rootsweb.com/~atgwgw/
    To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to CARIBBEAN-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
    quotes in the subject and the body of the message

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Codrington@21:1/5 to Dante C. Beretta on Mon Dec 11 17:39:06 2017
    Hi Peter
    Glad to hear you came through "relatively" intact I know from many the damage was just plain stunning in some locales and poor Barbuda is nearly undone...
    How the island will rebuild itself and in what form are yet to be seen....Have friends on Vieques who are also living on generators, battling mold and learning the tricks to refrigeration without reliable power..over there the supply chain is just
    beginning to open up abit. Some friends on St. John's (Swan family) had reported being alive and well but busting it trying to re-establish adequate shipments of basic building materials and hardware (part of their business)
    Best wishes it eases up
    And boy it is true about the US media...the islands were covered until P.R. went critical and then No Island But!
    I've been posting updates from BBC and others onto my Facebook groups to spread a little news and awareness, but we're a bit more connected than many others stateside because we're all saltwater folk: surfers sailors and wake makers. Best wishes to your
    family and friends and may the spirit of Tesla visit your electrical grid!
    Cod

From: CARIBBEAN [mailto:caribbean-bounces+cmcod=optimum.net@rootsweb.com] On Behalf Of Peter Moll
    Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 4:36 PM
    To: Chris Codrington via <caribbean@rootsweb.com>

Fighting mould a big problem. Just written off several books we had had on display, including Caribbean in Sepia and Jill Walker's lovely pictorial book on Barbados Only very recent access to email.

The word from my family on St. Thomas is that they are ok- lots of
    damage on the islands, but supplies getting in. communication spotty
    at times but I’ve been able to talk by phone, text and communicate by Facebook. Some areas starting again with power, with expectation to
    restore all by December?. Mail service just starting up again.

Dante

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to CARIBBEAN-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
    quotes in the subject and the body of the message
    The Caribbean List now has a Resources Page at Historic Antigua and Barbuda http://www.rootsweb.com/~atgwgw/
    To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to CARIBBEAN-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From margL@21:1/5 to Dante C. Beretta on Tue Dec 12 05:10:23 2017
    HI Chris, do you have a facebook page for the Carribean researchers?I hope everyone is recovering from the hurricane and all are safe and well.Margaret 

On Tuesday, 12 December 2017, 9:39:16 am AEDT, Chris Codrington <cmcod@optimum.net> wrote:

Hi Peter
    Glad to hear you came through "relatively" intact I know from many the damage was just plain stunning in some locales and poor Barbuda is nearly undone...
    How the island will rebuild itself and in what form are  yet to be seen....Have friends on Vieques who are also living on generators, battling mold and learning the tricks to refrigeration without reliable power..over there the supply chain is just
    beginning to open up abit. Some friends on St. John's (Swan family) had reported being alive and well but busting it trying to re-establish adequate shipments of basic building materials and hardware (part of their business)
    Best wishes it eases up
    And boy it is true about the US media...the islands were covered until P.R. went critical and then No Island But!
    I've been posting updates from BBC and others onto my Facebook groups to spread a little news and awareness, but we're a bit more connected than many others stateside because we're all saltwater folk: surfers sailors and wake makers. Best wishes to your
    family and friends and may the spirit of Tesla visit your electrical grid!
    Cod

From: CARIBBEAN [mailto:caribbean-bounces+cmcod=optimum.net@rootsweb.com] On Behalf Of Peter Moll

Fighting mould a big problem. Just written off several books we had had on display, including Caribbean in Sepia and Jill Walker's lovely pictorial book on Barbados Only very recent access to email.
    just interviewed for an upcoming book, The Irma  Diaries by Angela Burnett Peter

at times but I’ve been able to talk by phone, text and communicate by Facebook.  Some areas starting again with power, with expectation to restore all by December?.  Mail service just starting up again.

Dante

Content-Type: text/plain;    charset=us-ascii

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dante C. Beretta@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 11 23:31:01 2017
    Hey Peter,

I was wondering how you fared- Good to hear from you. Will have to look up the Irma Diaries.
    My mother and brother on St. Thomas waiting for power- Maybe Christmas? Like you they have a generator on a few hours a day which has made life better for them.

It is a shame on our response and the media coverage.
    All the best to you and your family. Thanks for letting us know how you are doing.

Dante

On Dec 11, 2017, at 4:39 PM, caribbean-request@rootsweb.com wrote:

book on Barbados

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Comcast@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 12 01:25:58 2017
    Peter, let us know what you need that we can help with. I could send you, for example, a fruitcake :-)

Regarding the comment about the "media" (as though it were one entity), I must say there are very few journalists left, actually. Remember that newspaper subscription you cancelled? Remember how you now get your news for free in the web? So please ask
    yourself which journalists you're now supporting before you criticize the few who are scrambling to cover what they can. Then go subscribe to something. We all rely on newspapers for a lot of major ancestral research. And remember, most of our ancestors
    probably bought the newspaper. And that how we pay for the journalists you and I long for when we need someone we trust to be our eyes and ears when we cannot personally go and see.

Ok. I will now take my soapbox and go back to my corner!

Laura

On Dec 11, 2017, at 5:39 PM, Chris Codrington <cmcod@optimum.net> wrote:

Hi Peter
    How the island will rebuild itself and in what form are yet to be seen....Have friends on Vieques who are also living on generators, battling mold and learning the tricks to refrigeration without reliable power..over there the supply chain is just
    Best wishes it eases up
    I've been posting updates from BBC and others onto my Facebook groups to spread a little news and awareness, but we're a bit more connected than many others stateside because we're all saltwater folk: surfers sailors and wake makers. Best wishes to
    your family and friends and may the spirit of Tesla visit your electrical grid!
    Cod

at times but I’ve been able to talk by phone, text and communicate by
    Facebook. Some areas starting again with power, with expectation to
    restore all by December?. Mail service just starting up again.

Dante

On Oct 2, 2017, at 3

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Codrington@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 12 08:37:00 2017
    Laura
    Being 65 I spent most of my life reading newspapers and lugging bags of Sunday NYTimes to the curb. I also went to Newhouse school of journalism at Syracuse University although I transferred and changed major rather than continuing in that direction. It
    was unnecessary to defend journalists against a simple and very general observation that coverage of the West Indies is often nearly non existent in the more common US sources. I was speaking of television and or newspaper news orgs usually observed
    here in the Northeast corridor of the United States.
    I have at least three friends or family members who are journalists of various descriptions so I rely on them to correct me when I am ruthlessly unjust.
    I believe this was the first time I have uttered such a criticism for a long long time and am a flagrant liberal anyway.
    So no harm no foul but if there is any sort of inter personal issue underlying this drop me a private line
    In the meantime freedom of the press is safe from me.
    Cod

From: CARIBBEAN [mailto:caribbean-bounces+cmcod=optimum.net@rootsweb.com] On Behalf Of Comcast
    Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:26 AM

Peter, let us know what you need that we can help with. I could send you, for example, a fruitcake :-)

Regarding the comment about the "media" (as though it were one entity), I must say there are very few journalists left, actually. Remember that newspaper subscription you cancelled? Remember how you now get your news for free in the web? So please ask
    yourself which journalists you're now supporting before you criticize the few who are scrambling to cover what they can. Then go subscribe to something. We all rely on newspapers for a lot of major ancestral research. And remember, most of our ancestors
    probably bought the newspaper. And that how we pay for the journalists you and I long for when we need someone we trust to be our eyes and ears when we cannot personally go and see.

Laura

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Moll@21:1/5 to Chris Codrington via on Fri Dec 15 08:21:37 2017
    Copy: vernapennmoll@gmail.com (Verna Penn Moll)
    Copy: freemanrogers@gmail.com (Freeman Rogers)

My only (unpaid) occupation prior to Irma was as a contributor to the Bvi Beacon. I worked from 2012 on a project to commemorate the Great Storm of
    1867, including tracing descendants of some victims and proposing DNA
    tests on graves which Irma has now washed away.
    I switched to writing a series of off-topic Memories of Malawi after I was
    told I was stepping on the Tourist Board's toes.
    The Beacon Island Sun and ZBVI Radio have been vital sources of information since Irma
    Any suggestion for a commercial publisher for The Irma Diaries (Google)?
    Peter
    Tortola BVI

On Dec 12, 2017 9:37 AM, "Chris Codrington" <cmcod@optimum.net> wrote:

Laura
    Being 65 I spent most of my life reading newspapers and lugging bags of Sunday NYTimes to the curb. I also went to Newhouse school of journalism at Syracuse University although I transferred and changed major rather than continuing in that direction. It was unnecessary to defend journalists against a simple and very general observation that coverage of the West Indies is often nearly non existent in the more common US sources. I was speaking of television and or newspaper news orgs usually observed here in the Northeast corridor of the United States.
    I have at least three friends or family members who are journalists of various descriptions so I rely on them to correct me when I am ruthlessly unjust.
    I believe this was the first time I have uttered such a criticism for a
    long long time and am a flagrant liberal anyway.
    So no harm no foul but if there is any sort of inter personal issue underlying this drop me a private line
    In the meantime freedom of the press is safe from me.
    Cod

From: CARIBBEAN [mailto:caribbean-bounces+cmcod=optimum.net@rootsweb.com]
    On Behalf Of Comcast
    Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:26 AM

Peter, let us know what you need that we can help with. I could send you,
    for example, a fruitcake :-)

Regarding the comment about the "media" (as though it were one entity), I must say there are very few journalists left, actually. Remember that newspaper subscription you cancelled? Remember how you now get your news
    for free in the web? So please ask yourself which journalists you're now supporting before you criticize the few who are scrambling to cover what
    they can. Then go subscribe to something. We all rely on newspapers for a
    lot of major ancestral research. And remember, most of our ancestors
    probably bought the newspaper. And that how we pay for the journalists you and I long for when we need someone we trust to be our eyes and ears when
    we cannot personally go and see.

Laura

quotes in the subject and the body of the message.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05