• [Carib] Western Cemetery, St. Thomas (Katrina Overstreet)

From Dante C. Beretta@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 12 23:56:40 2017
    Katrina,

I don’t have any pictures of Regjerings Gade, but if you want I can send you a property map that will show you the exact location of 15b- can’t post it here, but if you want it, let me know and I’ll send it directly to your email.

I can probably help you with where to locate records on your family, but I need more information.. For example, your great grandfather Swan, what was his first name, birthdate, death, religion, etc.? This will help to hone it down to your Swans.

I am able to find an Allen George in my records as a best man at a wedding on St. Thomas, March 5, 1931, but as the surname George is fairly common and I don’t really know the timeframe we’re dealing with, not sure if this is useful to you.

Good luck in your search!
    Dante

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 08:01:02 -0700 (PDT)
    To: caribbean@rootsweb.com
    Subject: Re: [Carib] Western Cemetery, St. Thomas
    Message-ID: <9f30777f-156f-45fa-8f63-c2bfbf7c9440@googlegroups.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

On Sunday, September 7, 2003 at 6:22:08 PM UTC-4, Monifa wrote:
    Been meaning to go for such a long time since my last visit and finally just >> went. Unfortunately the day was almost over and I did not have much
    sunlight and because I was not prepared, I did not walk with my camera.
    HOWEVER, this visit was not "project" related, I went to look around and
    happened to find some familiar names and wrote them down in the book I
    had.... The condition of the cemetery, well let's just say it's not the
    Danish Cemetery. The section I was in was Western Cemetery 2, where most
    are not in terrible condition. There are some that had wording that was
    completely worn away. (To find out who was buried in the graves with worn >> or no makers, I'd have to work with the Dept. of Public Works and their
    cemetery records.) Some of the graves are very close to each other,
    blocking the markers on the ones in the back so that one has to climb and
    maneuver to read what is on the ones behind it. I don't know how
    photographing 'each' grave/tombstone is going to work for those congested
    sections of the cemetery.

Also, once the actual photographing and transcription is done and we have
    obtained a map or official layout from the dept. of public works, I was
    thinking the data could be put onto a set of cd's and a searchable index be >> created. Any other ideas?? -- I guess this is a question for the
    gen-methods newsgroup, huh.

Just wanted to post this because I am still VERY MUCH interested in
    conducting a cemetery documentation project and haven't heard much from
    anyone else interested. Anyone living on St. Thomas or know someone here
    who is interested in genealogy and would like to assist? The cemeteries are >> rather large and the project would move a lot faster if a group of us could >> tackle sections at a time.

Anyone else taking the ball on this one on their native islands? Any other >> Caribbean gen. related projects going on?

(Beretta -- you said there was someone here that might be interested, let me >> know or tell that person to contact me.)

Monie
    Hi I am very new to google groups and not really sure if my reply is in the right place but I had to comment because my maternal great grandfather and family lived at 15b Regjerings Gade. They were the Swan's. Is it possible to post pictures of the
    actual street here or can you send it to me via email?

Also, I remember my grandmother talking about the George's. More specifically a Deborah George who I have a picture of with my mother (both toddlers). Grandma Swan (born in Saint Thomas) said Deborah's parents' name was Allen & Carmen George. They were
    from Saint Thomas and Allen was actually in France at the same time my grandfather was there on assignment for the army. Do these names sound familiar to you?

End of CARIBBEAN Digest, Vol 12, Issue 48 *****************************************

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From OOA Q@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 13 16:58:28 2017
    Katrina,
    I have information on that George family.
    Also, Debbie is her nickname, not Deborah.
    Ann

On August 12, 2017, at 9:57 PM, "Dante C. Beretta" <dberetta@meltel.net> wrote:

Katrina,

I don’t have any pictures of Regjerings Gade, but if you want I can send you a property map that will show you the exact location of 15b- can’t post it here, but if you want it, let me know and I’ll send it directly to your email.

I can probably help you with where to locate records on your family, but I need more information.. For example, your great grandfather Swan, what was his first name, birthdate, death, religion, etc.? This will help to hone it down to your Swans.

I am able to find an Allen George in my records as a best man at a wedding on St. Thomas, March 5, 1931, but as the surname George is fairly common and I don’t really know the timeframe we’re dealing with, not sure if this is useful to you.

Good luck in your search!
    Dante

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 08:01:02 -0700 (PDT)
    To: caribbean@rootsweb.com
    Subject: Re: [Carib] Western Cemetery, St. Thomas
    Message-ID: <9f30777f-156f-45fa-8f63-c2bfbf7c9440@googlegroups.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

On Sunday, September 7, 2003 at 6:22:08 PM UTC-4, Monifa wrote:
    Been meaning to go for such a long time since my last visit and finally just >> went. Unfortunately the day was almost over and I did not have much
    sunlight and because I was not prepared, I did not walk with my camera.
    HOWEVER, this visit was not "project" related, I went to look around and
    happened to find some familiar names and wrote them down in the book I
    had.... The condition of the cemetery, well let's just say it's not the
    Danish Cemetery. The section I was in was Western Cemetery 2, where most
    are not in terrible condition. There are some that had wording that was
    completely worn away. (To find out who was buried in the graves with worn >> or no makers, I'd have to work with the Dept. of Public Works and their
    cemetery records.) Some of the graves are very close to each other,
    blocking the markers on the ones in the back so that one has to climb and
    maneuver to read what is on the ones behind it. I don't know how
    photographing 'each' grave/tombstone is going to work for those congested
    sections of the cemetery.

Also, once the actual photographing and transcription is done and we have
    obtained a map or official layout from the dept. of public works, I was
    thinking the data could be put onto a set of cd's and a searchable index be >> created. Any other ideas?? -- I guess this is a question for the
    gen-methods newsgroup, huh.

Just wanted to post this because I am still VERY MUCH interested in
    conducting a cemetery documentation project and haven't heard much from
    anyone else interested. Anyone living on St. Thomas or know someone here
    who is interested in genealogy and would like to assist? The cemeteries are >> rather large and the project would move a lot faster if a group of us could >> tackle sections at a time.

Anyone else taking the ball on this one on their native islands? Any other >> Caribbean gen. related projects going on?

(Beretta -- you said there was someone here that might be interested, let me >> know or tell that person to contact me.)

Monie
    Hi I am very new to google groups and not really sure if my reply is in the right place but I had to comment because my maternal great grandfather and family lived at 15b Regjerings Gade. They were the Swan's. Is it possible to post pictures of the
    actual street here or can you send it to me via email?

Also, I remember my grandmother talking about the George's. More specifically a Deborah George who I have a picture of with my mother (both toddlers). Grandma Swan (born in Saint Thomas) said Deborah's parents' name was Allen & Carmen George. They were
    from Saint Thomas and Allen was actually in France at the same time my grandfather was there on assignment for the army. Do these names sound familiar to you?

End of CARIBBEAN Digest, Vol 12, Issue 48 *****************************************

The Caribbean List now has a Resources Page at Historic Antigua and Barbuda http://www.rootsweb.com/~atgwgw/
    -------------------------------
    To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to CARIBBEAN-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)