• [Carib] CARIBBEAN Digest, Vol 12, Issue 48

From Rosa Petrovich@21:1/5 to caribbean-request@rootsweb.com on Sat Aug 12 20:53:20 2017
    Wish I could help you catalog the names in the cemetery! I am very
    interested in finding information on my maternal ancestors. Her great grandparents were Luis and Berenice Marsan, who I found in the October 1846 census of Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas. Her grandfather, Huberto, was just a
    boy still living at home. I am very new to ancestry in St Thomas and have
    no idea where to go from there. Any help or direction would be very much appreciated.

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 2:00 AM <caribbean-request@rootsweb.com> wrote:

Send CARIBBEAN mailing list submissions to
    caribbean@rootsweb.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
    http://lists2.rootsweb.ancestry.com/mailman/listinfo/caribbean
    or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
    caribbean-request@rootsweb.com

You can reach the person managing the list at
    caribbean-owner@rootsweb.com

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
    than "Re: Contents of CARIBBEAN digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. Re: Western Cemetery, St. Thomas (Katrina Overstreet)
    2. Re: Western Cemetery, St. Thomas (Katrina Overstreet)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 08:01:02 -0700 (PDT)
    To: caribbean@rootsweb.com
    Subject: Re: [Carib] Western Cemetery, St. Thomas
    Message-ID: <9f30777f-156f-45fa-8f63-c2bfbf7c9440@googlegroups.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

On Sunday, September 7, 2003 at 6:22:08 PM UTC-4, Monifa wrote:
    Been meaning to go for such a long time since my last visit and finally
    just
    went. Unfortunately the day was almost over and I did not have much sunlight and because I was not prepared, I did not walk with my camera. HOWEVER, this visit was not "project" related, I went to look around and happened to find some familiar names and wrote them down in the book I had.... The condition of the cemetery, well let's just say it's not the Danish Cemetery. The section I was in was Western Cemetery 2, where most are not in terrible condition. There are some that had wording that was completely worn away. (To find out who was buried in the graves with
    worn
    or no makers, I'd have to work with the Dept. of Public Works and their cemetery records.) Some of the graves are very close to each other, blocking the markers on the ones in the back so that one has to climb and maneuver to read what is on the ones behind it. I don't know how photographing 'each' grave/tombstone is going to work for those congested sections of the cemetery.

Also, once the actual photographing and transcription is done and we have obtained a map or official layout from the dept. of public works, I was thinking the data could be put onto a set of cd's and a searchable index
    be
    created. Any other ideas?? -- I guess this is a question for the gen-methods newsgroup, huh.

Just wanted to post this because I am still VERY MUCH interested in conducting a cemetery documentation project and haven't heard much from anyone else interested. Anyone living on St. Thomas or know someone here who is interested in genealogy and would like to assist? The cemeteries
    are
    rather large and the project would move a lot faster if a group of us
    could
    tackle sections at a time.

Anyone else taking the ball on this one on their native islands? Any
    other
    Caribbean gen. related projects going on?

(Beretta -- you said there was someone here that might be interested,
    let me
    know or tell that person to contact me.)

Monie
    Hi I am very new to google groups and not really sure if my reply is in
    the right place but I had to comment because my maternal great grandfather and family lived at 15b Regjerings Gade. They were the Swan's. Is it
    possible to post pictures of the actual street here or can you send it to
    me via email?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 08:07:08 -0700 (PDT)
    To: caribbean@rootsweb.com
    Subject: Re: [Carib] Western Cemetery, St. Thomas
    Message-ID: <9443c5b1-79c3-4526-9c53-82469e8e3a7d@googlegroups.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

On Sunday, September 7, 2003 at 6:22:08 PM UTC-4, Monifa wrote:
    Been meaning to go for such a long time since my last visit and finally
    just
    went. Unfortunately the day was almost over and I did not have much sunlight and because I was not prepared, I did not walk with my camera. HOWEVER, this visit was not "project" related, I went to look around and happened to find some familiar names and wrote them down in the book I had.... The condition of the cemetery, well let's just say it's not the Danish Cemetery. The section I was in was Western Cemetery 2, where most are not in terrible condition. There are some that had wording that was completely worn away. (To find out who was buried in the graves with
    worn
    or no makers, I'd have to work with the Dept. of Public Works and their cemetery records.) Some of the graves are very close to each other, blocking the markers on the ones in the back so that one has to climb and maneuver to read what is on the ones behind it. I don't know how photographing 'each' grave/tombstone is going to work for those congested sections of the cemetery.

Also, once the actual photographing and transcription is done and we have obtained a map or official layout from the dept. of public works, I was thinking the data could be put onto a set of cd's and a searchable index
    be
    created. Any other ideas?? -- I guess this is a question for the gen-methods newsgroup, huh.

Just wanted to post this because I am still VERY MUCH interested in conducting a cemetery documentation project and haven't heard much from anyone else interested. Anyone living on St. Thomas or know someone here who is interested in genealogy and would like to assist? The cemeteries
    are
    rather large and the project would move a lot faster if a group of us
    could
    tackle sections at a time.

Anyone else taking the ball on this one on their native islands? Any
    other
    Caribbean gen. related projects going on?

(Beretta -- you said there was someone here that might be interested,
    let me
    know or tell that person to contact me.)

Monie

Also, I remember my grandmother talking about the George's. More
    specifically a Deborah George who I have a picture of with my mother (both toddlers). Grandma Swan (born in Saint Thomas) said Deborah's parents' name was Allen & Carmen George. They were from Saint Thomas and Allen was
    actually in France at the same time my grandfather was there on assignment for the army. Do these names sound familiar to you?

End of CARIBBEAN Digest, Vol 12, Issue 48 *****************************************

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)