• Re: [Carib] King Family jamaica 1745-1865

From andrew dunn@21:1/5 to Chris Codrington on Fri May 19 08:33:27 2023
    On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 7:25:42 PM UTC, Chris Codrington wrote:
    Hi Caribbeanites;

I'm currently pouring over the Jamaica Parish copy registers often page by page trying to verify information on a family (well several branches at times) surname King. Parishes of St George, Portland, St. Thomas, and Kingston(St Andrew)

The traditional oral history is that two male Kings Dr. John King and Capt Kell King came to Jamaica to assume an inheritance in the mid 1700's. From what I can see, the inheritance involved several substantial estates and a few smaller bits. Anyway as I am pulling BDM's for children of Dr John King and his wife Elizabeth Biggs King I come up with 12 children (confirmed by J King's will)

Hi Chris / Group

First a quite apology, I am new to this, first time, and not sure of any etiquette ,,, so I'm just going to throw this out there!

It was great to hear that oral history as I have one much the same, handed to via the Ballantyne family in Innerleithan, Peebles, Scotland.
    John Ballantyne married Alice King in 1869 and built a mansion in Walkerburn called Stoneyhill, after the King's plantation in Jamaica.

John Ballantyne's grandson, b1933, recorded this history

"Dr. King came from Rudston in East Riding of Yorkshire and was accompanied by his brother when he emigrated. It is believed that they inherited a property in Jamaica, but not Stoney Hill. - "It" came into the family from Henrietta Louise, heiress of the
    Chevalier Degoutte who was probably a refuge from Haiti"

On reflection the "It" in the last sentence is probably Stoney Hill - Alice King's father, John King married Henriette Louise Degoutte before 1835. John King's parents were Francis King b1778 and Letitia Ann Hall b1772 - both born in Jamaica

Francis King's father was Dr John King, b1740 in Rudston, England - he may have married Elizabeth Dukes, b1747 in Hampshire, England ... Seems unlikely due to children being born in England, not Jamaica

It is this Dr John King that emigrated to Jamaica, with his brother ... Captain Kell King?

Oddly enough, (on FamilySearch.org), one of Dr Johns grand-daughters via Francis, Ann Stapleford King b1805 married Stewart George Dallas - son of Charles Stuart Dallas and Susanna Seal King. Dallas is apparently of Dallas Castle, Jamaica

Susanna King b1778 is the daughter of a John Kell King b1735 and Elizabeth Biggs b1743 ... one of 12 children
    John Kell King was born in Clarendon, Jamaica and appears as one of only 3 brothers, Francis and Joseph
    John Kell King's father is showing as Francis King, b1670 Port Royal and Francis is son of William King, b1630 in Norfolk, England - died Port Royal 1694 (did he survive the earthquake!)

I'd love to get more details to fill in the above "half truths" ... I didn't know the Kell name was connected until I saw the original post by Chris ... There's obviously something there, but "my" John Kell King never emigrated, though he did marry
    Elizabeth Biggs

If John Kell King and Dr John King are the same person, who is the other brother and where does the Kell name come from

Thanks for reading
    Andrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From andrew dunn@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 19 11:26:57 2023

Oddly enough, (on FamilySearch.org), one of Dr Johns grand-daughters via Francis, Ann Stapleford King b1805 married Stewart George Dallas - son of Charles Stuart Dallas and Susanna Seal King. Dallas is apparently of Dallas Castle, Jamaica

Susanna King b1778 is the daughter of a John Kell King b1735 and Elizabeth Biggs b1743

Some interesting notes on the Dallas family

Charles Stewart Dallas was a son of Dr Robert Charles Dallas, born in Scotland in 1710 and emigrated to Jamaica around 1730

Another son, Robert Charles Dallas, married Sarah Harding Newman - daughter of Benjamin Harding Newman of Blue Hole
    The Hardings appears to originally come from Barbados after leaving England around 1650

Another of Dr Robert's sons was Alexander J Dallas - the 6th US Secretary of the Treasury
    One of Alexander's sons George Mifflin Dallas - the 11th Vice President of the US
    One of Alexander's daughters Sophia Burrell Dallas married Richard Bache Jr, grandson of Benjamin Franklin, via Sarah Franklin

The city of Dallas in Texas is said to be named after this family

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)