• Re: Harry Alexander, Herbert Palmer Cox and Roger Swire

From Cheryl C@21:1/5 to IEE...@cs.com on Wed May 17 21:55:54 2023
    On Wednesday, September 24, 2003 at 2:23:24 PM UTC-4, IEE...@cs.com wrote:
    Dear Fellow Listers,
    Having just subscribed to this outstanding list after reading through the List Archives, I am posting my interests.
    I am hoping that someone on the list has Charles Shephard's book "An Historical Account of the island of St. Vincent" and would not mind checking for
    the following individuals.
    Colonel Harry Alexander, British Army officer who was born in Antigua
    about 1727, married Lydia Martin on Antigua or in Jamaica around 1747 and died in
    St. Vincent sometime after 1772. I believe he owned the Estate of Alexander, exact location on the Island of St. Vincent unknown.
    His daughter Jane Alexander married Herbert Palmer Cox, who moved to St. Vincent from England for a military assignment prior to their 1774 marriage in
    Kingstown.
    Their daughter Frances Lydia Palmer Cox (surname is Cox by the way),
    married Roger Swire of Yorkshire, England who came to Antigua and/or St. Vincent
    after inheriting property there. They married either in Antigua, Grenada or St.
    Vincent before 1820, and left St. Vincent between 1827 and 1828, to settle in
    Surrey County, Jamaica, where Roger drowned in Port Antonio in 1841. Roger held a number of prominent posts and was associated with the estates of Stanton
    Harcourt, Unity Valley, Belle Vue and Fort Stewart in Surrey County, Jamaica. Since I am new to Caribbean research, I am hoping the more experienced individuals on the list can point me to some helpful resources.
    Sincerely,
    S. Burnette

Wow, this is so many decades later! I see a Roger Swire who registered slaves on behalf of John Roche Dasent's Union Estate in St. Vincent in 1827. Could this be the same Roger just before he left St. Vincent for Jamaica with his wife?

Cheryl Hazell

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)