• Looking for Portuguese ancestors in St Vincent

From Juanita Rogers@21:1/5 to Cheryl Hazell on Sat Jan 4 03:33:19 2020
    On Thursday, 9 March 2006 23:12:02 UTC, Cheryl Hazell wrote:
    I'm posting this information on behalf of a young woman who has started out on her family search.

MOTHER'S INFO: (my great grandfather:) JOSEPH OLLIVIERRE born somewhere in Portugal in 18?? and emigrated to St. Vincent where he died, unknown date. He married ANTONIA FERREIRA (Birth paper says Furara but we think it's Ferreira spelt incorrectly) ... same info for birth and death. (grandmother) BALVINA OLLIVIERRE born: May 11, 1881 in Freeland, St. Vincent died: unknown in Trinidad, she married NORMAN GLENROY DA COSTA. their daughter (my mother) LUCIANA DA COSTA, she was born in 1911 in St. Vincent, and still lives... she emigrated to Trinidad and currently Canada. She married NICHOLAS DA SILVA

FATHER'S INFO: Descendants of Emmanuel Da Silva
    EMMANUEL DA SILVA born somewhere in Portugal in 18?? and emigrated to St. Vincent where he died, unknown date. He married MARY DA SILVA ... same info for birth and death. Son (my father) NICHOLAS DA SILVA, b. March 04, 1905, Spring Mountain, St. Vincent, WI; d. November 09, 1993, Ajax Pickering Hospital, Ajax, Ontario. He married LUCIANA DA COSTA, b. October 15, 1911, Mt. Pleasant Mountain, St. Vincent, WI.

We've been told that they originated in Madeira, Portugal, but not sure if that's true. If I could find out how to access records for St. Vincent that would probably help.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl

I've just got a book from Amazon called Madeira's emigration to St Vincent's island in Antilles by Joao Adriano Ribeiro and it also lists the ships (plus a couple of others) which are listed later on in this thread. There was a lot of emigration from
    Madeira between 1845 - 1860 due to several factors: military inscription which many young men wished to avoid, potato blight, the colonial method of farming by which the land workers had to share their profits with the land owners, a grape blight which
    wrecked the grape harvest which made the economy nosedive, and general overpopulation. This emigration, which was largely done illegally and without passports, was driven by British Madeirans who were offering 5000 Reis per passenger. Over 1000
    Madeirans came to St Vincent during these years. I am still trying to find passenger lists for all those boats as even though they would not have had a passport, I'm sure the British Colonial government in St Vincent would not have allowed them to land
    without taking their names. Most of the Madeirans would have ended up as indentured labourers on plantations. Amongst them, I believe, was an Antonio Correia, a shoemaker, who may well have been my great, great, great grandfather.

All the best

Juanita Rogers (de la Rosa, granddaughter of F A Corea/Casson)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From zoedasilva21@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 22 05:46:55 2020
    Do you know if Emmanuel had any siblings called Antonio or Anthony?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Corwin Rodgers@21:1/5 to zoedas...@gmail.com on Sun Sep 13 08:15:20 2020
    On Wednesday, 22 January 2020 at 13:46:56 UTC, zoedas...@gmail.com wrote:
    Do you know if Emmanuel had any siblings called Antonio or Anthony?
    I too have that book, and had been researching my multi-pluralistic paternal bloodlines. I have been all over the world researching for the last 4 decades! Kerwin Elias Teixeira Gomes de Freitas Rodgers.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05