• [CARIBBEAN-L] McNish and Hawkins of St. Kitts and Jamaica

From Amanda Hanna@21:1/5 to Robin Downie on Thu Apr 11 18:02:58 2019
    Hi Robin, I have info for Terri Ann Clark but I can't retrieve her email. Could you send it to me please?

On Monday, March 29, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Robin Downie wrote:
    This is an e-mail that was sent to me by Terri Ann Clark. I am forwarding it on to the list in case anyone may be researching the same names. Please respond directly to her as she is not on this list. Thanks, Robin Downie.

<terriann@deseretonline.com>

Can you tell me how I would find out (and/or advertize) if there is anyone doing research on the family and ancestry of Robert Hawkins and Hannah Higsby Hawkins in the West Indies? One of their daughters, Isabella Louisa Hawkins, married Thomas McNish and had five of her six children on St. Kitts where she also died in 1878. I have the ancestry of her father....might have the christening of her mother (London). I know the names of her siblings and her birth year from her buriel record. But I do not have the marriage of her parents nor the birth dates or places of birth of Isabella or any of her siblings. Family records indicate that Robert Hawkins was a minister who labored in the West Indies. His first wife, Maria Wood (their marriage record was extracted and is on the IGI) died on Antigua...but her buriel is not in the Anglican Church records for the island that I searched at the London Society of Genealogist in October of '98....so I suspect that Robert Hawkins was not of the Anglican faith...

Basically, it is to learn more about my Isabella Louisa Hawkins McNish that I am making this trip to St. Kitts in June, though I still want all of the information available in the archives on Thomas McNish, his three wives and his 16 children. Because Thomas was a prominent business and served for about 10 years on the island legislative council, I am hoping that the newspapers have good information on the family.

My Thomas McNish (born 1844 in Calton, Glasgow, Scotland), died 19 November 1909 at Philadelphia when he was visiting my great grandfather, Thomas McNish. My grandfather would have been old enough to remember his grandfather and his illness in his home.

I know from passenger lists in and out of New York that Rosalie McNish, my 2nd great grandfather's 3rd wife and mother of
    his last six children (Ronald, Robert, Jennie, Mildred, Elsie and Ian) remainded in Jamaica after Thomas's death but made fairly regular trips to the States into the 1920s. I do not know her death date. Haven't found it in the Jamaican deaths... haven't looked to hard because I believe there is no index? Are their indexes for the deaths?

Some additional information of this family ....Jennie McNish married Harold Vincent Lindo (she was on the island in the
    1940s)...Mildred married Cecil Alexander DeLisser.. And Jessie Agnes McNish, the only surviving child of Thomas's 2nd marriage to Ann Gittens (there were four children) married James McKay ...all of these marriages took place on
    Jamaica. Ronald married a Jacqulin ______ somewhere in New York....both were residents of Panama at the time. He worked for his father out of that country. Robert married an Edna ______, probably in the US, for they
    lived in Kentucky in the 1940s. When the 1930 census is released I will probably find them in Chicago (N.Y. passeenger list information). It was Robert who was visiting his sister, Jennie Lindo, in Jamaica in the 1940s (again, passenger list info.)

With warm regards...

Terri Ann

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)