• [Carib] awkward topic: plagiarism and due recognition

From Chris Codrington@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 11 20:23:51 2017
    Hello fellow Carib lurkers out there. I hope this sees you well
    and sorry this is long.

I have had an otherwise uneventful week and a few hours ago
    blundered into what is likely to become a new and unpleasant
    experience in my long apprenticehip in History and Genealogy..

There is a distant relative (and mean really distant) who has an
    amusing blogsite called "Genesurfing" adventures in Genealogy.

https://genesurfing.wordpress.com/2014/11/09/thomas-codrington-s heriff-of-new-york/

I have seen his site a few times but did not spend much
    time on it as I was happy to see another person working on the
    Codrington family stuff particularly the issues in England not
    the Carib episodes and such. The presentation is nice and he's
    sharp and he was doin his homework so Yay History! Etc

Last year I read one page and was miffed because he had ventured
    into my "territory" (Caribbean Cods, stray Codringtons in the
    America, comparative study of existing Gen in the Americas) and
    obviously had read some of the stuff which spilled into the
    internet from Carib-L and Rootsweb and Ancestry and my articles
    on various things and my own website. So we had a short
    correspondence and the way I remember it he doesn't understand
    what I'm all upset about so I said something very moderate about
    it and got busy at work so that was the end of it.

Today with none of that in mind I end up on his site and reading
    his analysis of somethings with great interest and then shift to
    all this stuff I don't remember seeing and begin reading it in
    detail. He had gone on into the Americas from 1600 on and is
    touching on all my pet projects and theorys including the topics
    of various articles I wrote and somethings that really are
    important to me. The stuff is structure similarly its basically
    lifted from work and some of these theories are just NOT common
    topics anywhere and prior to my internet debut did not exist
    anywhere written down.

So I got upset. I wrote him a "note" in the notes section as
    follows:

Mr. Sidney this page particularly the "work" you are presenting
    on Thomas Codrington of New York and New Jersey and the comments
    on William Collins Codrington and Jamaica Codringtons is
    gleaned from my internet work on the subject. I see not one iota
    of new information which cannot be shown to have been written in
    various forms in correspondence or websites, genealogy boards
    etc etc by me prior to 2010....Nowhere do I see a credit or
    acknowledgement as would be customary in fair use of another's
    work. It is plagiarism pure and simple. I'm not in the habit of
    tackling people for this kind of thing but you are going way too
    far sir. You are co opting my work and research.

The material I speak of is well known to other people in the
    Carib history and genealogy circles online the result of hard
    work since 1995. In addition to which on a personal note you
    showed some serious cheek ascribing William Codrington's birth
    to Maudlin Moraine as "of a slave" when in fact there is no
    definitive proof either way and the theory was first presented
    by me via the Historical Society of the Museum of Antigua and
    Barbuda in the '90's and printed in their Bulletin. There are a
    variety of ways Maudlin can be explained along with the language
    of the bequests themselves It is far from a simple issue to
    settle if indeed settlement will be possible. But this was an
    issue publicized and broadcast solely by me. Prior to my
    research and the material assembled by me the bequests noted in
    the two Christopher's wills had been glossed over and given
    virtually no thought by serious history folk. Comparative study
    of the Codrington family resident in the West Indies was frankly
    shoddy at best largely because the lesser members were mere play
    pieces in the constructs hung upon the two Christophers and
    tangential political cant. Only recently two otherwise
    interesting historians have given accounts of the family that
    omit the first Christopher to settle Barbados and show no
    understanding of the workings of the co-partnership which was
    largely responsible for their wealth circa 1710.

I did not wish you anything but good will until I started
    reading your site seriously today and recognized myself in
    nearly every paragraph about the Americas. Then you declared
    William Codrington of Jamaica the son of a slave and that went
    too far. How glib! There is not enough time to articulate all
    the arguments against that likelihood.... Thus far actually

there is no evidence to support that assertion and alot to
    refute it though I have pursued the issue with candor and a
    genuine desire to learn truth. Christopher I think you owe me
    acknowledgement on the research and material you so glibly
    published in your own name. Be that as it may I owed it to
    myself to speak up about it you went too far.

Christopher M Codrington

7/11/2017

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++end panygyric!

So now I am waiting for the" boom" One reason this really got me
    going is that somebody else has scooped my work and he's too big
    to mess with and was fairly intelligent in skirting the
    boundaries of "p"..

Some of you have been in the game along time.what do you think?
    Was I nuts? Is this the final step into delusion and senility?

Laura, Ernest, Madeleine?

ChrisCod

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From mreilly169@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 11 21:38:21 2017
    WW91J3JlIG5vdCBudXRzLCBDaHJpcywgYnV0IGhlJ3MgcHJvYmFibHkgbm90IHZpb2xhdGluZyB5 b3VyIGNvcHlyaWdodCBiZWNhdXNlIGhlIGhhc24ndCB0YWtlbiB5b3VyIGFjdHVhbCB3b3JkcyAo YWx0aG91Z2ggwqB0aGF0IG1heSBiZSBhIMKgY2xvc2UgcXVlc3Rpb24pIGFuZCB1bmxlc3MgaGUn cyBhbiBhY2FkZW1pYyBhbmQgc3ViamVjdCB0byBhIGNvZGUgYmFycmluZyBwbGFnaWFyaXNtLCB0 aGVyZSBtYXkgbm90IGJlIG11Y2ggeW91IGNhbiBkby4gSSd2ZSBydW4gaW50byBteSAoIGZhciBs ZXNzIGRldGFpbGVkIGFuZCBzb3BoaXN0aWNhdGVkKSByZXNlYXJjaCBvbiB0aGUgTERTIHNpdGUs IGZvciBpbnN0YW5jZSwgYW5kIEkgc3VyZSBkaWRuJ3QgcHV0IGl0IHRoZXJlLiDCoE5vciBkaWQg SSBkbyBhbnl0aGluZyBleGNlcHQga2ljayBteXNlbGYgZm9yIHNoYXJpbmcgaXQuCsKgSGUgb3Vn aHQgdG8gYXQgbGVhc3QgYWNrbm93bGVkZ2UgeW91IGFzIGEgJ3NvdXJjZScgdGhvdWdoLgoKClNl bnQgdmlhIHRoZSBTYW1zdW5nIEdhbGF4eSBTOCssIGFuIEFUJlQgNEcgTFRFIHNtYXJ0cGhvbmUK LS0tLS0tLS0gT3JpZ2luYWwgbWVzc2FnZSAtLS0tLS0tLUZyb206IENocmlzIENvZHJpbmd0b24g PGNtY29kQG9wdGltdW0ubmV0PiBEYXRlOiA3LzExLzE3ICA3OjIzIFBNICAoR01ULTA2OjAwKSBU bzogY2FyaWJiZWFuQHJvb3Rzd2ViLmNvbSBTdWJqZWN0OiBbQ2FyaWJdIGF3a3dhcmQgdG9waWM6 IHBsYWdpYXJpc20gYW5kIGR1ZSByZWNvZ25pdGlvbiAKSGVsbG8gZmVsbG93IENhcmliIGx1cmtl cnMgb3V0IHRoZXJlLiBJIGhvcGUgdGhpcyBzZWVzIHlvdSB3ZWxsCmFuZCBzb3JyeSB0aGlzIGlz IGxvbmcuCgogCgpJIGhhdmUgaGFkIGFuIG90aGVyd2lzZSB1bmV2ZW50ZnVsIHdlZWsgYW5kIGEg ZmV3IGhvdXJzIGFnbwpibHVuZGVyZWQgaW50byB3aGF0IGlzIGxpa2VseSB0byBiZWNvbWUgYSBu ZXcgYW5kIHVucGxlYXNhbnQKZXhwZXJpZW5jZSBpbiBteSBsb25nIGFwcHJlbnRpY2VoaXAgaW4g SGlzdG9yeSBhbmQgR2VuZWFsb2d5Li7CoCAKCiAKClRoZXJlIGlzIGEgZGlzdGFudCByZWxhdGl2 ZSAoYW5kIG1lYW4gcmVhbGx5IGRpc3RhbnQpIHdobyBoYXMgYW4KYW11c2luZyBibG9nc2l0ZSBj YWxsZWTCoCAiR2VuZXN1cmZpbmciIGFkdmVudHVyZXMgaW4gR2VuZWFsb2d5LiAKCiAKCmh0dHBz Oi8vZ2VuZXN1cmZpbmcud29yZHByZXNzLmNvbS8yMDE0LzExLzA5L3Rob21hcy1jb2RyaW5ndG9u LXMKaGVyaWZmLW9mLW5ldy15b3JrLwoKIAoKwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoCBJIGhhdmUgc2VlbiBo aXMgc2l0ZSBhIGZldyB0aW1lcyBidXQgZGlkIG5vdCBzcGVuZCBtdWNoCnRpbWUgb24gaXQgYXMg SSB3YXMgaGFwcHkgdG8gc2VlIGFub3RoZXIgcGVyc29uIHdvcmtpbmcgb24gdGhlCkNvZHJpbmd0 b24gZmFtaWx5IHN0dWZmIHBhcnRpY3VsYXJseSB0aGUgaXNzdWVzIGluIEVuZ2xhbmQgbm90CnRo ZSBDYXJpYiBlcGlzb2RlcyBhbmQgc3VjaC4gVGhlIHByZXNlbnRhdGlvbiBpcyBuaWNlIGFuZCBo ZSdzCnNoYXJwIGFuZCBoZSB3YXMgZG9pbiBoaXMgaG9tZXdvcmsgc28gWWF5IEhpc3RvcnkhIEV0 YyAKCiAKCkxhc3QgeWVhciBJIHJlYWQgb25lIHBhZ2UgYW5kIHdhcyBtaWZmZWQgYmVjYXVzZSBo ZSBoYWQgdmVudHVyZWQKaW50byBteSAidGVycml0b3J5IiAoQ2FyaWJiZWFuIENvZHMsIHN0cmF5 IENvZHJpbmd0b25zIGluIHRoZQpBbWVyaWNhLCBjb21wYXJhdGl2ZSBzdHVkeSBvZiBleGlzdGlu ZyBHZW4gaW4gdGhlIEFtZXJpY2FzKSBhbmQKb2J2aW91c2x5IGhhZCByZWFkIHNvbWUgb2YgdGhl IHN0dWZmIHdoaWNoIHNwaWxsZWQgaW50byB0aGUKaW50ZXJuZXQgZnJvbSBDYXJpYi1MIGFuZCBS b290c3dlYiBhbmQgQW5jZXN0cnkgYW5kIG15IGFydGljbGVzCm9uIHZhcmlvdXMgdGhpbmdzIGFu ZCBteSBvd24gd2Vic2l0ZS4gU28gd2UgaGFkIGEgc2hvcnQKY29ycmVzcG9uZGVuY2UgYW5kIHRo ZSB3YXkgSSByZW1lbWJlciBpdCBoZSBkb2Vzbid0IHVuZGVyc3RhbmQKd2hhdCBJJ20gYWxsIHVw c2V0IGFib3V0IHNvIEkgc2FpZCBzb21ldGhpbmcgdmVyeSBtb2RlcmF0ZSBhYm91dAppdCBhbmTC oCBnb3QgYnVzeSBhdCB3b3JrIHNvIHRoYXQgd2FzIHRoZSBlbmQgb2YgaXQuCgogCgpUb2RheSB3 aXRoIG5vbmUgb2YgdGhhdCBpbiBtaW5kIEkgZW5kIHVwIG9uIGhpcyBzaXRlIGFuZCByZWFkaW5n CmhpcyBhbmFseXNpcyBvZiBzb21ldGhpbmdzIHdpdGggZ3JlYXQgaW50ZXJlc3QgYW5kIHRoZW4g c2hpZnQgdG8KYWxsIHRoaXMgc3R1ZmYgSSBkb24ndCByZW1lbWJlciBzZWVpbmcgYW5kIGJlZ2lu IHJlYWRpbmcgaXQgaW4KZGV0YWlsLiBIZSBoYWQgZ29uZSBvbiBpbnRvIHRoZSBBbWVyaWNhcyBm cm9tIDE2MDAgb24gYW5kIGlzCnRvdWNoaW5nIG9uIGFsbCBteSBwZXQgcHJvamVjdHMgYW5kIHRo ZW9yeXMgaW5jbHVkaW5nIHRoZSB0b3BpY3MKb2YgdmFyaW91cyBhcnRpY2xlcyBJIHdyb3RlIGFu ZCBzb21ldGhpbmdzIHRoYXQgcmVhbGx5IGFyZQppbXBvcnRhbnQgdG8gbWUuIFRoZSBzdHVmZiBp cyBzdHJ1Y3R1cmUgc2ltaWxhcmx5IGl0cyBiYXNpY2FsbHkKbGlmdGVkIGZyb20gd29yayBhbmQg c29tZSBvZiB0aGVzZSB0aGVvcmllcyBhcmUganVzdCBOT1QgY29tbW9uCnRvcGljcyBhbnl3aGVy ZSBhbmQgcHJpb3IgdG8gbXkgaW50ZXJuZXQgZGVidXQgZGlkIG5vdCBleGlzdAphbnl3aGVyZSB3 cml0dGVuIGRvd24uCgpTbyBJIGdvdCB1cHNldC4gSSB3cm90ZSBoaW0gYSAibm90ZSIgaW4gdGhl IG5vdGVzIHNlY3Rpb24gYXMKZm9sbG93czoKCiAKCiAKCk1yLiBTaWRuZXkgdGhpcyBwYWdlIHBh cnRpY3VsYXJseSB0aGUgIndvcmsiIHlvdSBhcmUgcHJlc2VudGluZwpvbiBUaG9tYXMgQ29kcmlu Z3RvbiBvZiBOZXcgWW9yayBhbmQgTmV3IEplcnNleSBhbmQgdGhlIGNvbW1lbnRzCm9uIFdpbGxp YW0gQ29sbGlucyBDb2RyaW5ndG9uIGFuZCBKYW1haWNhIENvZHJpbmd0b25zIGlzCmdsZWFuZWQg ZnJvbSBteSBpbnRlcm5ldCB3b3JrIG9uIHRoZSBzdWJqZWN0LiBJIHNlZSBub3Qgb25lIGlvdGEK b2YgbmV3IGluZm9ybWF0aW9uIHdoaWNoIGNhbm5vdCBiZSBzaG93biB0byBoYXZlIGJlZW4gd3Jp dHRlbiBpbgp2YXJpb3VzIGZvcm1zIGluIGNvcnJlc3BvbmRlbmNlIG9yIHdlYnNpdGVzLCBnZW5l YWxvZ3kgYm9hcmRzCmV0YyBldGMgYnkgbWUgcHJpb3IgdG8gMjAxMC4uLi5Ob3doZXJlIGRvIEkg c2VlIGEgY3JlZGl0IG9yCmFja25vd2xlZGdlbWVudCBhcyB3b3VsZCBiZSBjdXN0b21hcnkgaW4g ZmFpciB1c2Ugb2YgYW5vdGhlcidzCndvcmsuIEl0IGlzIHBsYWdpYXJpc20gcHVyZSBhbmQgc2lt cGxlLiBJJ20gbm90IGluIHRoZSBoYWJpdCBvZgp0YWNrbGluZyBwZW9wbGUgZm9yIHRoaXMga2lu ZCBvZiB0aGluZyBidXQgeW91IGFyZSBnb2luZyB3YXkgdG9vCmZhciBzaXIuwqAgWW91IGFyZSBj byBvcHRpbmcgbXkgd29yayBhbmQgcmVzZWFyY2guIAoKIAoKVGhlIG1hdGVyaWFsIEkgc3BlYWsg b2YgaXMgd2VsbCBrbm93biB0byBvdGhlciBwZW9wbGUgaW4gdGhlCkNhcmliIGhpc3RvcnkgYW5k IGdlbmVhbG9neSBjaXJjbGVzIG9ubGluZSB0aGUgcmVzdWx0IG9mIGhhcmQKd29yayBzaW5jZSAx OTk1LiBJbiBhZGRpdGlvbiB0byB3aGljaCBvbiBhIHBlcnNvbmFsIG5vdGUgeW91CnNob3dlZCBz b21lIHNlcmlvdXMgY2hlZWsgYXNjcmliaW5nIFdpbGxpYW0gQ29kcmluZ3RvbidzIGJpcnRoCnRv IE1hdWRsaW4gTW9yYWluZSBhcyAib2YgYSBzbGF2ZSIgd2hlbiBpbiBmYWN0IHRoZXJlIGlzIG5v CmRlZmluaXRpdmUgcHJvb2YgZWl0aGVyIHdheSBhbmQgdGhlIHRoZW9yeSB3YXMgZmlyc3QgcHJl c2VudGVkCmJ5IG1lIHZpYSB0aGUgSGlzdG9yaWNhbCBTb2NpZXR5IG9mIHRoZSBNdXNldW0gb2Yg QW50aWd1YSBhbmQKQmFyYnVkYSBpbiB0aGUgJzkwJ3MgYW5kIHByaW50ZWQgaW4gdGhlaXIgQnVs bGV0aW4uIFRoZXJlIGFyZSBhCnZhcmlldHkgb2Ygd2F5cyBNYXVkbGluIGNhbiBiZSBleHBsYWlu ZWQgYWxvbmcgd2l0aCB0aGUgbGFuZ3VhZ2UKb2YgdGhlIGJlcXVlc3RzIHRoZW1zZWx2ZXPCoCBJ dCBpcyBmYXIgZnJvbSBhIHNpbXBsZSBpc3N1ZSB0bwpzZXR0bGUgaWYgaW5kZWVkIHNldHRsZW1l bnQgd2lsbCBiZSBwb3NzaWJsZS4gQnV0IHRoaXMgd2FzIGFuCmlzc3VlIHB1YmxpY2l6ZWQgYW5k IGJyb2FkY2FzdCBzb2xlbHkgYnkgbWUuIFByaW9yIHRvIG15CnJlc2VhcmNoIGFuZCB0aGUgbWF0 ZXJpYWwgYXNzZW1ibGVkIGJ5IG1lIHRoZSBiZXF1ZXN0cyBub3RlZCBpbgp0aGUgdHdvIENocmlz dG9waGVyJ3Mgd2lsbHMgaGFkIGJlZW4gZ2xvc3NlZCBvdmVyIGFuZCBnaXZlbgp2aXJ0dWFsbHkg bm8gdGhvdWdodCBieSBzZXJpb3VzIGhpc3RvcnkgZm9say4gQ29tcGFyYXRpdmUgc3R1ZHkKb2Yg dGhlIENvZHJpbmd0b24gZmFtaWx5IHJlc2lkZW50IGluIHRoZSBXZXN0IEluZGllcyB3YXMgZnJh bmtseQpzaG9kZHkgYXQgYmVzdCBsYXJnZWx5IGJlY2F1c2UgdGhlIGxlc3NlciBtZW1iZXJzIHdl cmUgbWVyZSBwbGF5CnBpZWNlcyBpbiB0aGUgY29uc3RydWN0cyBodW5nIHVwb24gdGhlIHR3byBD aHJpc3RvcGhlcnMgYW5kCnRhbmdlbnRpYWwgcG9saXRpY2FsIGNhbnQuIE9ubHkgcmVjZW50bHkg dHdvIG90aGVyd2lzZQppbnRlcmVzdGluZyBoaXN0b3JpYW5zIGhhdmUgZ2l2ZW4gYWNjb3VudHMg b2YgdGhlIGZhbWlseSB0aGF0Cm9taXQgdGhlIGZpcnN0IENocmlzdG9waGVyIHRvIHNldHRsZSBC YXJiYWRvcyBhbmQgc2hvdyBubwp1bmRlcnN0YW5kaW5nIG9mIHRoZSB3b3JraW5ncyBvZiB0aGUg Y28tcGFydG5lcnNoaXAgd2hpY2ggd2FzCmxhcmdlbHkgcmVzcG9uc2libGUgZm9yIHRoZWlyIHdl YWx0aCBjaXJjYSAxNzEwLiAKCkkgZGlkIG5vdCB3aXNoIHlvdSBhbnl0aGluZyBidXQgZ29vZCB3 aWxsIHVudGlsIEkgc3RhcnRlZApyZWFkaW5nIHlvdXIgc2l0ZcKgIHNlcmlvdXNseSB0b2RheSBh bmQgcmVjb2duaXplZCBteXNlbGYgaW4KbmVhcmx5IGV2ZXJ5IHBhcmFncmFwaCBhYm91dCB0aGUg QW1lcmljYXMuIFRoZW4geW91IGRlY2xhcmVkCldpbGxpYW0gQ29kcmluZ3RvbiBvZiBKYW1haWNh IHRoZSBzb24gb2YgYSBzbGF2ZSBhbmQgdGhhdCB3ZW50CnRvbyBmYXIuIEhvdyBnbGliISBUaGVy ZSBpcyBub3QgZW5vdWdoIHRpbWUgdG8gYXJ0aWN1bGF0ZSBhbGwKdGhlIGFyZ3VtZW50cyBhZ2Fp bnN0IHRoYXQgbGlrZWxpaG9vZC4uLi4gVGh1cyBmYXIgYWN0dWFsbHkKCnRoZXJlIGlzIG5vIGV2 aWRlbmNlIHRvIHN1cHBvcnTCoCB0aGF0IGFzc2VydGlvbiBhbmQgYWxvdCB0bwpyZWZ1dGUgaXQg dGhvdWdoIEkgaGF2ZSBwdXJzdWVkIHRoZSBpc3N1ZSB3aXRoIGNhbmRvciBhbmQgYQpnZW51aW5l IGRlc2lyZSB0byBsZWFybiB0cnV0aC4gQ2hyaXN0b3BoZXIgSSB0aGluayB5b3Ugb3dlIG1lCmFj a25vd2xlZGdlbWVudCBvbiB0aGUgcmVzZWFyY2ggYW5kIG1hdGVyaWFsIHlvdSBzbyBnbGlibHkK cHVibGlzaGVkIGluIHlvdXIgb3duIG5hbWUuIEJlIHRoYXQgYXMgaXQgbWF5IEkgb3dlZCBpdCB0 bwpteXNlbGYgdG8gc3BlYWsgdXAgYWJvdXQgaXQgeW91IHdlbnQgdG9vIGZhci4KCkNocmlzdG9w aGVyIE0gQ29kcmluZ3RvbgoKNy8xMS8yMDE3CgogCgorKysrKysrKysrKysrKysrKysrKysrKysr KysrKysrKysrKysrK2VuZCBwYW55Z3lyaWMhCgogCgpTbyBub3cgSSBhbSB3YWl0aW5nIGZvciB0 aGUiIGJvb20iIE9uZSByZWFzb24gdGhpcyByZWFsbHkgZ290IG1lCmdvaW5nIGlzIHRoYXQgc29t ZWJvZHkgZWxzZSBoYXMgc2Nvb3BlZCBteSB3b3JrIGFuZCBoZSdzIHRvbyBiaWcKdG8gbWVzcyB3 aXRoIGFuZCB3YXMgZmFpcmx5IGludGVsbGlnZW50IGluIHNraXJ0aW5nIHRoZQpib3VuZGFyaWVz IG9mICJwIi4uCgogCgpTb21lIG9mIHlvdSBoYXZlIGJlZW4gaW4gdGhlIGdhbWUgYWxvbmcgdGlt ZS53aGF0IGRvIHlvdSB0aGluaz8KV2FzIEkgbnV0cz8gSXMgdGhpcyB0aGUgZmluYWwgc3RlcCBp bnRvIGRlbHVzaW9uIGFuZCBzZW5pbGl0eT8KCsKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDC oMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqAgTGF1cmEsIEVybmVzdCwgTWFkZWxlaW5lPwoKQ2hyaXND b2QKCiAKCsKgwqDCoMKgICoqKioqKioqKioqKioqKioqKioqKioqKioqKgpUaGUgQ2FyaWJiZWFu IExpc3Qgbm93IGhhcyBhIFJlc291cmNlcyBQYWdlIGF0IEhpc3RvcmljIEFudGlndWEgYW5kIEJh cmJ1ZGEgaHR0cDovL3d3dy5yb290c3dlYi5jb20vfmF0Z3dndy8KLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0t LS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLQpUbyB1bnN1YnNjcmliZSBmcm9tIHRoZSBsaXN0LCBwbGVhc2Ugc2VuZCBh biBlbWFpbCB0byBDQVJJQkJFQU4tcmVxdWVzdEByb290c3dlYi5jb20gd2l0aCB0aGUgd29yZCAn dW5zdWJzY3JpYmUnIHdpdGhvdXQgdGhlIHF1b3RlcyBpbiB0aGUgc3ViamVjdCBhbmQgdGhlIGJv ZHkgb2YgdGhlIG1lc3NhZ2UK

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ernest Wiltshire@21:1/5 to Chris Codrington on Wed Jul 12 10:52:43 2017
    Bravo Chris: you have done the right thing: I applaud you for speaking
    out publicly and am behind you one hundred percent.
    I have had two such nasty & experiences with relatives, close and far,
    who have got hold of my research material.
    In one case I foolishly shared a GEDCOM family file (something I have
    since then ceased to do) and posted the whole thing online as his own work!
    In another case, a close relative surreptitiously gained access to the research I was doing with another cousin, & submitted it in its
    entirety to the LDS in Salt Lake City as his own work: it was an early
    working file, riddled with uncorrected errors, and I have never been
    able to have it removed from the internet. He got quite a blast from me
    I can tell you.
    But I learnt my lesson: I have never had any more dealings with either
    of them and I am very careful about what I share and with whom.

Fortunately, there are many reputable researchers and authors who I have assisted in their work, and without exception they have not only
    acknowledged my contributions, but have thanked me in the forewords,
    footnotes or bibliographies; some of the academics have even been so
    kind as to send me offprints of their papers from academic journals, or complimentary copies of their books.

C.A. (Cheryl?) Quinn is absolutely correct in stating so eleoquently:

/"Plagiarism is more than just using another's written words without attribution. It's also presenting another's ideas as one's own original thoughts".

/Unfortunately, along with the internet has come the widespread attitude
    that is causing so much hardship for writers, artists, performers, photographers (I am one): those who see nothing wrong with stealing
    others' work/, /because theft is what it really is.

So once again Chris, Bravo!
    Ernest/
    ///_
    _On 2017-07-11 8:23 PM, Chris Codrington wrote:
    extracts
    Hello fellow Carib lurkers out there. I hope this sees you well and sorry this is long. I have had an otherwise uneventful week and a few hours ago blundered into what is likely to become a new and unpleasant experience in my long apprenticehip in
    History and Genealogy..
    Last year I read one page and was miffed because he had ventured into my "territory" (Caribbean Cods, stray Codringtons in the America, comparative study of existing Gen in the Americas) and obviously had read some of the stuff which spilled into the
    internet from Carib-L and Rootsweb and Ancestry and my articles on various things and my own website. So we had a short correspondence and the way I remember it he doesn't understand what I'm all upset about so I said something very moderate about it and
    got busy at work so that was the end of it.
    Today with none of that in mind I end up on his site and reading his analysis of somethings with great interest and then shift to all this stuff I don't remember seeing and begin reading it in detail. He had gone on into the Americas from 1600 on and
    is touching on all my pet projects and theorys including the topics of various articles I wrote and somethings that really are important to me. The stuff is structure similarly its basically lifted from work and some of these theories are just NOT common
    topics anywhere and prior to my internet debut did not exist anywhere written down.
    So I got upset. I wrote him a "note" in the notes section as follows:
    Mr. Sidney this page particularly the "work" you are presenting on Thomas Codrington of New York and New Jersey and the comments on William Collins Codrington and Jamaica Codringtons is gleaned from my internet work on the subject. I see not one iota
    of new information which cannot be shown to have been written in various forms in correspondence or websites, genealogy boards etc etc by me prior to 2010....Nowhere do I see a credit or as would be customary in fair use of another's work. It is
    plagiarism pure and simple. I'm not in the habit of tackling people for this kind of thing but you are going way too far sir. You are co opting my work and research.
    I did not wish you anything but good will until I started reading your site seriously today and recognized myself in nearly every paragraph about the Americas. Then you declared ... Christopher I think you owe me acknowledgement on the research and
    material you so glibly published in your own name. Be that as it may I owed it to myself to speak up about it you went too far.
    Christopher M Codrington
    7/11/2017

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John W@21:1/5 to Ernest Wiltshire on Wed Jul 12 16:42:56 2017
    The most awkward thing, even though it does not anger in quite the same
    way, is when you are quoted as author but misquoted. Dysplagiarism?
    John Weiss

On 12/07/2017 15:52, Ernest Wiltshire wrote:
    Bravo Chris: you have done the right thing: I applaud you for speaking
    [ ... ]

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Codrington@21:1/5 to Ernest Wiltshire on Wed Jul 12 12:36:44 2017
    "The most awkward thing, even though it does not anger in quite
    the same way, is when you are quoted as author but misquoted.
    Dysplagiarism?
    John Weiss"

Indeed John....which is why it is a good policy to ask people to
    do submissions for approval even if it could be misconstrued as
    haughty!
    Point well taken!

-----Original Message-----
    [mailto:caribbean-bounces+cmcod=optimum.net@rootsweb.com] On
    Behalf Of John W
    Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 11:43 AM
    To: caribbean@rootsweb.com
    Subject: Re: [Carib] awkward topic: plagiarism and due
    recognition

The most awkward thing, even though it does not anger in quite
    the same way, is when you are quoted as author but misquoted.
    Dysplagiarism?
    John Weiss

On 12/07/2017 15:52, Ernest Wiltshire wrote:
    Bravo Chris: you have done the right thing: I applaud you for
    speaking
    [ ... ]
    The Caribbean List now has a Resources Page at Historic Antigua
    and Barbuda http://www.rootsweb.com/~atgwgw/
    -------------------------------
    To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to CARIBBEAN-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe'
    without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Codrington@21:1/5 to Chris Codrington on Wed Jul 12 12:34:01 2017
    In response to mReilly, Cheryl Quinn, and Ernest

Thank you for your supportive feedback. My natural response was
    to swallow hard and not raise any hell! Anyway, yeah I felt it
    right to say something this time. I appreciate your opinions
    very much, thank you.

A friend pointed out that if anything nasty happened in
    response, the one good thing of having my Carib-L
    correspondences of the past 17 years splashed all over the net
    is that time stamps are on everything and in "source" the
    original stamps show up no matter what. That serves as a body of
    proof quite nicely.
    Incidentally this hoohah did not pertain so much to my gedcoms
    or tree work as to story lines and analysis of how these people
    operated who they knew, and my attempts to do a reappraisal of
    the material printed and disseminated over the past about the
    family at large. Though Ernest I also has someone take my
    gedcoms and deposit them in all sorts of places when they
    were/are still far from ready for prime time!

Some of the people involved feature often in general Carib
    history and it is amazing how bad some of that history is! Half
    the websites providing information on those Governors (for
    instance) routinely recite sources which are wrong. Two recent
    books that deal with them in depth (along with many others)
    repeat these errors. Some of this is due to a long failure of
    historians to recognize family history as a usefull element in
    their own work.. Family and commercial nets were pervasive in
    the past and far more influential than now. How do you know that
    a William is the William son of William when there's so many
    Williams in St. John? (hee hee)
    But I think in fairness a lot of the writing is varnish for
    tourism more than genuine record keeping and it gets mixed up
    with the serious stuff because historians in the past tended to
    be quite dismissive of family history as pertinent to their "science"....Frankly it's all gumbo in the information stream.

After all my reason for starting all this is that after a
    childhood of listening to these marvelous stories by the
    fireside, I looked over the paperwork while cleaning up my
    parents possessions and said to myself "this doesn't sound
    right" hell it was wonky! Since then it's been my pleasure to
    learn how to learn and how to research the lives of people and
    in so doing like many of you I was lucky enough to answer a few
    private questions as well.

In my mind I am lucky to have some sort of trail to follow when
    so many have so much less to guide them... but what actually has
    made it interesting are the unknowns and the regular folk along
    the way.

[mailto:caribbean-bounces+cmcod=optimum.net@rootsweb.com] On
    Behalf Of Ernest Wiltshire
    Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 10:53 AM
    To: caribbean@rootsweb.com
    Subject: Re: [Carib] awkward topic: plagiarism and due
    recognition

Bravo Chris: you have done the right thing: I applaud you for
    speaking out publicly and am behind you one hundred percent.
    I have had two such nasty & experiences with relatives, close
    and far, who have got hold of my research material.
    In one case I foolishly shared a GEDCOM family file (something I
    have since then ceased to do) and posted the whole thing online
    as his own work!
    In another case, a close relative surreptitiously gained access
    to the research I was doing with another cousin, & submitted
    it in its entirety to the LDS in Salt Lake City as his own work:
    it was an early working file, riddled with uncorrected errors,
    and I have never been able to have it removed from the internet.
    He got quite a blast from me I can tell you.
    But I learnt my lesson: I have never had any more dealings with
    either of them and I am very careful about what I share and with
    whom.

Fortunately, there are many reputable researchers and authors
    who I have assisted in their work, and without exception they
    have not only acknowledged my contributions, but have thanked me
    in the forewords, footnotes or bibliographies; some of the
    academics have even been so kind as to send me offprints of
    their papers from academic journals, or complimentary copies of
    their books.

C.A. (Cheryl?) Quinn is absolutely correct in stating so
    eleoquently:

/"Plagiarism is more than just using another's written words
    without attribution. It's also presenting another's ideas as
    one's own original thoughts".

/Unfortunately, along with the internet has come the widespread
    attitude that is causing so much hardship for writers, artists,
    performers, photographers (I am one): those who see nothing
    wrong with stealing others' work/, /because theft is what it
    really is.

So once again Chris, Bravo!
    Ernest/
    ///_
    _On 2017-07-11 8:23 PM, Chris Codrington wrote:
    extracts
    Hello fellow Carib lurkers out there. I hope this sees you
    well and sorry this is long. I have had an otherwise uneventful
    week and a few hours ago blundered into what is likely to become
    a new and unpleasant experience in my long apprenticehip in
    History and Genealogy..
    Last year I read one page and was miffed because he had
    ventured into my "territory" (Caribbean Cods, stray Codringtons
    in the America, comparative study of existing Gen in the
    Americas) and obviously had read some of the stuff which spilled
    into the internet from Carib-L and Rootsweb and Ancestry and my
    articles on various things and my own website. So we had a short
    Today with none of that in mind I end up on his site and
    reading his analysis of somethings with great interest and then
    shift to all this stuff I don't remember seeing and begin
    reading it in detail. He had gone on into the Americas from 1600
    on and is touching on all my pet projects and theorys including
    the topics of various articles I wrote and somethings that
    really are important to me. The stuff is structure similarly its
    basically lifted from work and some of these theories are just
    NOT common topics anywhere and prior to my internet debut did
    not exist anywhere written down.
    follows:
    Mr. Sidney this page particularly the "work" you are
    presenting on Thomas Codrington of New York and New Jersey and
    the comments on William Collins Codrington and Jamaica
    Codringtons is gleaned from my internet work on the subject. I
    see not one iota of new information which cannot be shown to
    have been written in various forms in correspondence or
    websites, genealogy boards etc etc by me prior to
    2010....Nowhere do I see a credit or as would be customary in
    fair use of another's work. It is plagiarism pure and simple.
    I'm not in the habit of tackling people for this kind of thing
    but you are going way too far sir. You are co opting my work
    and research.
    nearly every paragraph about the Americas. Then you declared ...
    Christopher I think you owe me acknowledgement on the research
    and material you so glibly published in your own name. Be that
    as it may I owed it to myself to speak up about it you went too
    far.
    Christopher M Codrington
    7/11/2017

The Caribbean List now has a Resources Page at Historic Antigua
    and Barbuda http://www.rootsweb.com/~atgwgw/
    To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to CARIBBEAN-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe'
    without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From NancyFfrench@21:1/5 to Chris Codrington on Wed Jul 12 11:17:03 2017
    On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 01:36:55 UTC+1, Chris Codrington wrote:
    and sorry this is long.

https://genesurfing.wordpress.com/2014/11/09/thomas-codrington-s heriff-of-new-york/

anywhere written down.

follows:

Christopher M Codrington

7/11/2017

boundaries of "p"..

ChrisCod

Happens all the time! Once you post something on the internet you lose it. But its a question of good manners as I see it. Why would any civilised person not want to give credit to the source? Common courtesy. Keith

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lwa101@comcast.net@21:1/5 to Caribbean List on Sat Jul 15 00:59:45 2017
    Dear fellow searchers,
    I have read your posts (I pasted them all below) with much interest; all of them are strong. May I add some ideas to think on?

First, while plagiarism can’t be prevented, here’s what I’ve had modest success with:
    -Putting my copyright at the top of the page instead of the bottom, right alongside my byline, also prominently displayed, with a note that says please ask for permission to use the material and an invitation to link to my page.
    -Putting alongside the above the citation wording that I want them to use when giving me credit for the work.

Second, LOL, I troubled for several years over a mysterious person who kept coming up in various online family trees. Both forename and surname were always misspelled in the same way, but I could never find this person in any documentation. Finally, I
    tracked down the perpetrator--who admitted he had tucked the mystery person into his tree for the sole purpose of tracking who was plagiarizing his tree!

Third, one cannot lay claim to general knowledge. For example, the fact that Edward Bulwer-Lytton was born May 25, 1803, in London can’t be plagiarized simply because it can’t be owned, no matter who originally dug out that fact. That said, one can
    definitely copyright an essay of original ideas that mentions his birth. (If I’ve piqued your interest, visit http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/2016win.html).

Probably not of much use, but there it is.

Cheers all and happy hunting,
    Laura

On Jul 11, 2017, at 8:23 PM, Chris Codrington <cmcod@optimum.net> wrote:

and sorry this is long.

anywhere written down.

follows:

Christopher M Codrington

7/11/2017

boundaries of "p"..

ChrisCod

The Caribbean List now has a Resources Page at Historic Antigua and Barbuda http://www.rootsweb.com/~atgwgw/
    To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to CARIBBEAN-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Codrington@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 15 11:13:51 2017
    Thanks Laura

The website has some real gems thanks for posting the url!
    Cod

From: CARIBBEAN [mailto:caribbean-bounces+cmcod=optimum.net@rootsweb.com] On Behalf Of lwa101@comcast.net
    Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2017 1:00 AM
    To: Caribbean List <caribbean@rootsweb.com>
    Subject: Re: [Carib] awkward topic: plagiarism and due recognition

Dear fellow searchers,
    I have read your posts (I pasted them all below) with much interest; all of them are strong. May I add some ideas to think on?

First, while plagiarism can’t be prevented, here’s what I’ve had modest success with:
    -Putting my copyright at the top of the page instead of the bottom, right alongside my byline, also prominently displayed, with a note that says please ask for permission to use the material and an invitation to link to my page.
    -Putting alongside the above the citation wording that I want them to use when giving me credit for the work.

Second, LOL, I troubled for several years over a mysterious person who kept coming up in various online family trees. Both forename and surname were always misspelled in the same way, but I could never find this person in any documentation. Finally, I
    tracked down the perpetrator--who admitted he had tucked the mystery person into his tree for the sole purpose of tracking who was plagiarizing his tree!

Third, one cannot lay claim to general knowledge. For example, the fact that Edward Bulwer-Lytton was born May 25, 1803, in London can’t be plagiarized simply because it can’t be owned, no matter who originally dug out that fact. That said, one can
    definitely copyright an essay of original ideas that mentions his birth. (If I’ve piqued your interest, visit http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/2016win.html).

Probably not of much use, but there it is.

Cheers all and happy hunting,
    Laura

On Jul 11, 2017, at 8:23 PM, Chris Codrington <cmcod@optimum.net> wrote:

and sorry this is long.

anywhere written down.

follows:

Christopher M Codrington

7/11/2017

boundaries of "p"..

ChrisCod

The Caribbean List now has a Resources Page at Historic Antigua and Barbuda http://www.rootsweb.com/~atgwgw/
    To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to CARIBBEAN-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05