• The Seven Men of Glenmoriston

From jyoung-young@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to csg...@queens-belfast.ac.uk on Wed Nov 21 10:52:16 2018
    On Thursday, May 2, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, csg...@queens-belfast.ac.uk wrote:
    I could have sworn someone asked about this yesterday, particularly with reference to the Chisholms, but the message is gone today. A while on these newsgroups is enough to make anyone doubt their sanity :-), but if I didn't imagine it, here's something about it.

I'm looking at an article entitled "The Seven Men of Glenmoriston" by
    Alister MacDonald, Inverness ("Gleannach"), on pp 264-9 of a volume
    called "Voices from the hills: Guthan o na Beanntaibh", edited by
    John MacDonald MA, and published by An Comunn Gàidhealach at Glasgow
    in 1927.

The seven men are named as:
    Patrick Grant of Craskie, a near relative of Mac Phàdruig;
    Alexander MacDonald of Aonach, a descendent of the ancestral MacDonalds
    of the Glen, and of the family of "Clann Iain Chaoil";
    Hugh, Alexander and Donald Chisholm, sons of Paul Chisholm, in Blairie;
    John MacDonald, or Campbell, in Craskie;
    Grigor MacGregor, a deserter from the Earl of Loudon's regiment.

It appears that the seven went "on the run" from the marauding Redcoats
    in the aftermath of the '45, and had a base at a cave called Leac Ruairidh
    in Coire Dodha in Upper Glenmoriston. In the course of his attempts to
    elude the Redcoats and escape to France, Teàrlach Òg was looked after for some three weeks by the Seven, first in Glenmoriston and then in Strathglass. Some French officers were reported landed at Poolewe and heading for Lochiel's
    country, so the Seven brought Teàrlach there and returned to Glenmoriston. They got 3 guineas each for their services (there was a reward of 30,000 pounds on Teàrlach's head from the government).

Re the Chisholms, it says that Hugh Chisholm spent some time in Edinburgh
    and met Walter Scott. "He would never give his right hand to anybody after taking farewell of his Prince. The subsequent life-story of the others
    was, on the whole, uneventful." The black pot used for cooking meat by
    the party is "now in Glenmoriston House", according to the article.
    Teàrlach Òg eventually escaped to France about a month afterwards.

Ciarán Ó Duibhín.

Hi All. One of my ancestors was Aeneas / Angus Grant b. abt. 1701 d. 1779, who inherited the Wadset of Duldreggan Glenmoriston Scotland from his greatgrandfather Duncan Grant when he died 1730 aged 100. Aeneas' house was burnt, and he was almost hung, by
    Cumberland's men in aftermath of Culloden 1746. At about same time the Bonnie Prince was in hiding in the hills of Glenmoriston, sheltered by the 7/8 Good Men of Glenmoriston. My John Duldreggan Grant inherited Wadset Duldreggan when Aeneas died 1779,
    and John emigrated to Glengarry Ontario Canada in 1785, arriving in 1786 and obtaining 400 acres as Lots 25&26 SSSBRR Street Road Charlottenburg Glengarry. Many others from Glenmoriston also emigrated there including descendents of these 7/8 Good Men. J.
    Young Cornwall Ontario Canada.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)