• The Life of Cyril Aloysius Daly (1/3)

From Noahide Videos Bible@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 28 04:12:14 2018
    The Life of Cyril Aloysius Daly

A biography by his son with further autobiographical information and commentary on Daniel's own life

Compiled by Daniel Thomas Andrew Daly

Cyril Aloysius Daly was born on the 11th of August 6086 SC (1922 CE-AD). His father was Peter Paul Daly and Mary Ann Daly (Nee McLean). Cyril was the 7th boy of 9 boys, the boys (in no particular order) being Vincent, Leo, Keith, Stan, Brian, Kevin,
    Peter & Frank, and his sisters being Molly and Philomena. Cyril was raised in Sydney in New South Wales in Australia. His first home was in the suburb of Clovelly, in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney, on the coast. Cyril served in World War II, but did not
    see any personal combat himself (fortunately, or I might never have been born). He worked in telecommunications sort of work in World War II. He was a war hero because he served his country against the terror of the Axis trio of Germany, Italy and Japan.
    After the war Cyril worked in different things, but ended up working for the PMG (Post Masters General) and for Telecom. Cyril worked for the PMG/Telecom area for 38 years. My family still has a painting which was presented to Cyril for his achievement
    from Telecom. It is a lovely painting of the Yaouk valley. Cyril married Mary Daly (Nee Baker) on the 26th of December 1968 in the Christian Calendar, which in the Haven Noahide Fellowship Calendar we would call the 26th of December 6132 SC. Cyril's
    ancestry traces back to Noah and he is a Noahide biologically and naturally. Cyril was raised in Roman Catholic faith and believed that Jesus was the Christ and died with this faith. His wife Mary Daly is, as of early 6175 SC, also still a practicing
    Roman Catholic, yet I (Daniel Thomas Andrew Daly) have been attempting to convert her to Noahide faith to accept Haven Noahide Fellowship.

I have had dreams of Cyril Daly my father in heaven, and he has a beautiful spirit associated with him. I believe in my heart that my father will live forever in heaven, and that my mother Mary Daly, when she dies, will join him. I am hoping that they
    will realize the wisdom of the Rainbow Covenant of Noah and realize, as Genesis teaches, that the Rainbow Covenant is an Everlasting Covenant. I have firm faith in my abilities to convert him should I eventually die and go to heaven, so I truly believe
    that both Cyril and Mary will inevitably become members of Haven Noahide Fellowship once they realize that Jesus was not the Messiah of the Hebrew Scriptures and that the Jewish people were correct in realizing this truth and, further, that Christianity
    displeases God. The Noahide faith is an eternal faith, an everlasting covenant as Scripture maintains, and the Rainbow is a natural and supernatural sign of God’s divine intervention in mankind. The Rainbow Covenant is the family faith of Noah’s
    children and the Daly’s are most probably descended through Noah’s son Japheth to Nigall of the 9 Hostages, and on through to Peter Paul Daly (Cyril’s father) and to Cyril Aloysius Daly and to myself, Daniel Thomas Andrew Daly.

In English Noahide Gematria utilizing Ordinal Equivalents, Cyril equals 67. Daly equals 42. So Cyril Daly is 109. Aloysius is 121. So Cyril Aloysius Daly is 230. Daniel Thomas Andrew Daly is 228 in Noahide Gematria Ordinal Equivalents.

Cyril had 5 children – in order of birth, Matthew, Brigid, Daniel, Jacinta and Gregory. His grandchildren in order of birth are. Madalene, Jayden, Georgia, Ronan, Amelia, James & Rachel so far.Madalene, Jayden and Georgia are Brigid’s children
    through David Bridges. Ronan, Amelia and Rachel are Jacinta’s children through Alan Bradley. James is Gregory’s child through Christie Daly (nee Gonzaga). Cyril died in 2007 in the Christian or Common Era Calendar which would be 6171 SC in the Haven
    Noahide Fellowship calendar. His funeral Service was well attended. Trish Kirby gave the eulogy for Cyril Daly as she did for my brother Matthew. It was excellent on both occasions. Cyril liked to take photographs, and we as a family still have many of
    them. As a family we used to go to Buckenderra in New South Wales, for Telecom Christmas parties. These were wonderful times for the family, and I have good memories of them. I remember some early memories of Cyril and myself in Berridale. I was being
    cheeky and say Zee instead of Zed. Cyril said if I said Zed he would let me have a biscuit (and I think it might have been a Granita biscuit). I obeyed him, but when I had the biscuit I cheekily said Zee anyway. I was a bit of a devil. I remember another
    memory being in the verandah of 7 Bent Street in Berridale and saying to dad I will stay up all night with you. I didn’t do that in the end, but the memory is still with me. I remember playing in a box which dad had brought home from Cooma, and then
    the Goodies came on TV. I played in the box for a while longer, then went inside. I remember the time which dad brought home a clock, and we still have that clock here at 29 Merriman Crescent. One of the hands of the clock is currently unattached, but it
    can be put back on if it needs to be. The clock was made in Korea. This goes back to the 1970s. I have recently thought the clock might be a bit of a collectable, but the family should really keep the clock forever. I have some photos of my dad Cyril
    Aloysius Daly and I want to keep them forever.

I remember being up in Sydney recently when Auntie Molly had just turned 100, just before she died, and looking at her I was speaking with my mum Mary and saying, doesn’t she look just like dad, and mum agreed. We went up to Sydney with Gregory and
    Christie and James I think, and we visited Auntie Shirlie (Uncle Stan Daly’s wife) in Caringbah, were we talked about family things. I saw a picture of my cousin Colin, who looks a lot like my brother Matthew. Coming back from that trip to Sydney we
    listened to a CD, and I was really enjoying the final song by the Pretender’s (500 Miles) which finished perfectly just as we got back home to 29 Merriman Crescent. I was thinking to myself what a good celtic song to sing. I remember another time with
    Cyril and the family near Nimmitabel were there was a telecom office, up in the forest. We stayed the night and played Monopoly. It was a lovely memory. I think we might possibly have gone more than once. I remember many visits to Tathra as a kid with
    the family. We would collect shells and swim in the ocean and play on the rocks. And I remember a time when in Infants school my mum Mary was chosen to accompany a school visit to Tathra. It was a lovely time for me. I remember a family visit to Uncle
    Peter’s in Sydney with the family and there were other uncles there. I made some jokes and I think it was Auntie Pat who said I was clever or something like that. I remember we stayed at Uncle Kevin’s with Auntie Pat’s a lot.

There was this time in 1989 CE when Cyril took me and my friend, whose nickname was noodles, up to Sydney to see the Bon Jovi concert. Me and Noodles were up the back a long way from the stage, but I did see Jon Bon Jovi and the Bon Jovi band in person,
    even if from a long distance. There were two girls in front of us who we thought were cool. I bought a Bon Jovi T Shirt with a heart on the front of it at that concert, and I remember seeing a guy with a Skid Row T Shirt which I thought was very cool.
    Bon Jovi have been one of my favourite bands for a long time. I have listened to the Albums Bon Jovi, 7800 degrees Fahrenheit, Slippery When Wet, New Jersey, Keep the faith, These Days, Crush, Bounce, Have a Nice Day & Lost Highway. Hopefully I will get
    around to hearing the rest of their albums in due course. My brother Gregory recently saw Bon Jovi live in Perth with Christie. He said they were good. I remember listening to Bon Jovi on the radio in Perth when we visited just last year in September,
    and the song ‘When We Were Beautiful’ was playing, and it was a very touching experience for me. I have had a number of dreams about Bon Jovi, very cool ones, and I love the band heaps. I remember when I was younger listening to the Bon Jovi song ‘
    Bad Medicine’ being played in the Cooma Pinball Parlour. The first Bon Jovi album I owned was a tape copy of ‘Slippery When Wet’ which Damien Asanovsci had given to me. Later on I bought New Jersey on tape and I loved the album after a while. I
    thought it was not very good on the first listening, apart from Bad Medicine and 99 in the Shade, but after a while I adored the album. There was a time me, Damien Asanovsci and Peter Dradrach were working up at the Jindabyne Trout farm, and I had
    brought along my tape player and I played Bon Jovi up there. The trout farm was a great place, and I have good memories of my time there. They had a clock, like our current grandfather clock, which you had to pull down the bars to make the clock work.
    Damien rolled a Ute on the farm for the short while we were working there, but he didn’t get into too much trouble. When I got back to Cooma I talked with my family about the time, and I remember the time with Brigid when we talked a bit about it. I
    think I had a tan when I got back. It was good work, not too hard, but we pinched some drinks a little bit because we were thirsty. But we definitely earned our money, and it was about the first paid job I had. I got a cheque for the work, which I cashed
    probably at St George, probably in the bank account which I still have. It was a building society in those days, but is now a Bank and has recently merged with Westpac.

My father supported the Eastern Suburbs Roosters Rugby League side, as he was from that part of Sydney. My mother Mary also supports the roosters, and I assume she did so to support her husband's team. Matthew, my brother, initially supported the St
    George Dragons when he was younger, but supported the Roosters later on in life, perhaps because of Cyril. Dad was quite a placid gentleman of a father, though he occasionally had a temper. He never beat us, though, but did bring out the strap rarely
    when we were younger and gave us a very mild strapping. There was never anything fierce in Cyril's punishments, and he was an excellent father and very appropriate disciplinarian. Of course, dad enjoyed Classical music, and I do remember us watching '
    Amadeus' here at 29 Merriman Crescent a number of years ago. Dad liked comedies like 'The Two Ronnies' and 'Open All Hours', but shared with me once that the 'Porrige' comedy was about criminals, and he had a few issues with the show because of it.
    Obviously he felt that criminals probably shouldn't be glorified in some way, which likely reflected his understanding of his faith. I think, from memory, mum was possibly a lot more social at church than dad, but I can't really remember for sure. Dad
    was usually with mum out the front of St Pats after church service, and I guess he probably did talk a lot with the congregation. He went faithfully to church every sunday his whole life and was a very devout Roman Catholic, and prayed the Rosary all the
    time. He read those mini pamphlets which Catholicism produces quite a lot, but I don't recall a big devotion to the old Bible we had in the family, yet I assume he probably knew it well enough. He was a very competent driver of the family car, and didn't
    speed ever. In fact, I remember in trips from Berridale and to Cooma as well as Canberra always asking dad to go faster. Fortunately he was wise enough to ignore me. When we moved from Cooma to Canberra, we did the move ourselves (or most of it –
    details are fuzzy) and me and dad went down a couple of times in the station wagon and filled it up with stuff from 6 Bradley to take it to our new rented home in Kambah. He did a basic load, but I insisted on adding a few more things to fill up the car
    properly. I think he was mainly concerned with getting beds and things up to Canberra on these trips. I remember one time dad took me and Greg out to the Murrumbidgee river because I had hassled him to do so. I didn't even want to go that badly, and we
    went to the other section with the large bridge. I jumped off it once, and Greg had done a little bit of swimming, but we didn't stay terribly long that time, and went home. But dad had taken us anyway which was kind of him. Dad kept a lot of notes in
    notebooks related to his work, a lot of it on jobs and things he did for Telecom, going here and there to fix things up. He seemed a competent enough worker at Telecom, though he didn't terribly highly in the organisation, but he always did his work and
    worked until retirement age. He was a faithful man to work and his occupation and I look back now very proud of a father who raised his children, saw to their schooling and ensure we never went without. We also had enough toys, entertainment, and
    although mum was the driving force behind it, we definitely had a good share of holidays. Mum and dad argued from time to time, but the definitely loved each other. The undertook Marriage Encounter weekends with their church, were they developed their
    relationship with each other. I am extremely grateful to have a father which lasted the distance in his marriage and didn't cop out when the going quite possibly got tough. I will always remember that if and when I get married. Dad had a host of tools
    and enjoyed gardening. He built our first billy cart, and we learned to build them ourselves later, and he taught us to us hammers and nails and screwdrivers and saws. In the garage he had stacks of boxes of those transistors they used in old
    telecommunication equipment. There were all sorts of odds and ends in the garage, and much of our youth, especially in Cooma, was tinkering around with this or that. He made a little phone system for us in Cooma, which was a wire running between two
    boxes, were you could speak in one end and hear in the other. It was loads of fun as kids.

A lot of the family holidays were along the NSW south coast. When we were younger the family went to Tathra beach a lot, and I remember coming home sunburnt a heck of a lot. Dad and mum didn't go in the water to swim with us terribly much, and usually
    stayed up on the beach on the towels. But they might walk in the ripples with us a little, but not usually swim. Sometimes there were exceptions to this, but the norm was for them to stay on the sand as we went swimming or off to the rock pools to
    collect shells and cuttlefish and things. A holiday home in Terrigal in Gosford was visited a bit, but as we got older we went to Milton near Ulladulla a couple of times I think. Dad was usually the quieter one, driving the car, and talking with mum,
    while we kids were snapped at not to do this and that by mum an awful lot, and played and had our fun. Dad occasionally played cricket with us over the years, in the back yard at Berridale and Cooma, and here and there, but this diminished, naturally, as
    he got older. He was an indoors man a lot of the time, but he loved to tinker around in the garage and do things in there. Dad once taught me the secret of batting was to keep your eye on the ball, which I think he learned from Don Bradman's teaching on
    the issue. I think – I might be mistaken – but he also said the Don usually hit the ball along the ground a lot and was not caught out much because of it. Dad's book collection (which we still own) was mostly scientific technical sort of books, and
    he had a lot of work related Telecom manuals on hand. In many ways Matt took on dad's stylings in this department, as Matt kept his electronics studies material, and kept his notes and things, and is reminiscent of Cyril in many ways on these things.
    Matt liked to collect cables and cords and little electronic knick-knacks of various types, and gadgets and things, and I think a lot of that is Cyril's type of behaviour as well. I have probably inherited Cyril's religious genes, being very religious
    like he was, while Greg has probably got more of Dad's studious type of mentality and his academic scholasticism. It is sort of like Cyril's qualities were divided up among his sons. Dad had an old desk, which is still sitting her in this front room at
    29 merriman were I am typing, and a lot of his notes and things are still in files in the desk, untouched by mum for the most part. If he came back from the dead today he could resume his life to a fair degree, and Matt also. The Camera dad have, Matthew
    seemed to have inherited, but I have it now, in the wooden cupboard in my room which had belonged to Matthew. I moved into Matt's room recently just before Greg got here again recently, and have settled into it. Naturally, we have turfed a whole lot of
    Matt's studied paperwork now, because nobody in the family really needs it, and its mostly just clutter now. There are many things for both dad and matt that we have retained, though, mostly the important and essential memorabilia of their lives. We
    still have dad's projector and his films, and Greg got it up and running a couple of years back, but it mostly sits in the closet now, as mum is starting to get on in life, and nobody in the family has much of an interest in those things. Jacinta seems
    to have a desire – or something mum said relating to that – to own the projector and films, so they will probably go to her one of these days. I will likely inherit dad and matt's book collection and mum is leaving me her book collection also when
    she eventually passes on. I do have a scrapbook of my father's of movie promo newspaper articles which dad cut out and pasted into the book. It is one of the permanent pieces from dad that I will keep forever. All his photos are still in the cupboard in
    the room connected to this one, and it looks like they will just sit there until mum passes, at which point I intend to get copies of them all from all the negatives the family still retains of them. There is a photo of dad and mum's wedding right beside
    me on the wall here in the lounge room and mum has her marriage certificate faithfully on the wall near her bed. Many things have changed since dad's passing (and Matt's also) but many things remain just the same. James, Greg's boy, is getting older, and
    he reminds me of Cyril in many ways. Soft like dad, and gentle, and of good manners. Mum says he is not close to her at times and feels at a distance somewhat from him, but he opens up to me all the time when he is around and we get along really well.
    James Daly is an awesome kid and I am very proud of Greg and Christie for producing him. I love him heaps. James full name is James Adelino Cyril Daly, and he takes his middle names from both his grandfathers. He is in Perth at the moment with his mum
    Christie and they are living at Christie's parents place in Forrestfield, while the home is being rented out, as the family tries to resolve its living situation and work situation. Greg's work at Centrelink is on a contract, and if that ends and he
    doesn't get alternative work, he will probably go back to Perth, but time will tell either way. As far as I understand it Christie still works at Medicare in Perth, so the family has two incomes at the moment. I am sure they will resolve their challenges
    in life in time. In latter years, when dad's parkinson's disease became quite prevalent in his life, he was on a wheelchair to get him around a lot of the time, and had become quite a frail old man and of soft speech. It was challenging to talk to him
    because he was very frail, but things could be said when necessary. We had a lot of carers who helped take care of dad, and they were good for the family and I miss some of them somewhat – without that help it could have been a real challenge taking
    care of dad. When Matt died, my sister Brigid started going back to the Catholic Church regularly, and now goes each sunday to the church mum goes to, Holy Family church in Corpus Christ parish. That was dad's church in his Macarthur years, and I
    attended there regularly briefly for a few months in my early 20s when I returned to Christian faith, although after that I went off to Pentecostalism. But Brigid goes regulalry now, and seems to have become somewhat faithful in the way and example mum
    and dad always set, and mum still does. If it was still my religion I would be going every Sunday myself and, knowing me, all the weekday services as well. Because there are no real believers in my faith in my community here in Canberra I have to do all
    my religious observances on my own, but I would definitely be very regular in a church if I was still a Christian. So, instead, I read the bible a lot and pray a lot and do things online. It is how I keep my faith and, perhaps many ways, how I walk in
    the religious tradition of my parents and those before them. The religion may have changed, but the tradition of fidelity to God and King remains the same. I think, of all the things Cyril Daly instilled in his children, it was most definitely a strong
    religious observance of going to religious assembly and honouring God. Perhaps more than anything else vital to a soul, dad instilled that in us, which gave us so much potential for have a relationship with God and knowing his salvation that, when it all
    comes down to it, without that in your life, what really matters that much anyway? Thank God dad and Mum care a lot about that issue as far as I am concerned, and will always be grateful for what knowledge of God they did in fact impart to the life of
    Daniel Thomas Andrew Daly.

One of the big things for us as kids was the yearly trip to Buckenderra on Lake Eucumbene for the annual Telecom Christmas party. Dad drove us there and the whole family went, fitting into the station wagon, all 7 of us, some of the kids in the boot,
    were I usually was, as we drove out to the four mile and took the off-road up towards Adaminaby and up to Lake Eucumbene. We would get things like cans of soft drink for free and I think there were always things like potato crisps and there was usually a
    barbecue with sausage rolls and probably steaks with fried onions. Dad would have obviously caught up with his workmates at such a gathering, and mum was incessantly mingling with all the people she came along in life anyway. We would have a rug or
    something, were mum and dad would sleep, and we might play along the shore of Lake Eucumbene, notice the birdshit from the seagulls I think (possibly), but the thrill of the day was when some old chum showed up in a Santa suit and gave all the kids
    presents. It sure made our day. When the day ended it was a long drive home, but there were lots of long drives home in those early years, especially back from Canberra. That is part of my deepest and fondest memories, the drive in the station wagon home
    from Canberra at evening after we had done our business in Canberra for the day, and I am sure dad and mum have memories of fondness from those times as well. I remember getting lost in what, I now remember as, the Canberra Centre when we were kids. It
    gave me bad memories for years, and I was delighted when dad walked past and out the entrance and me and Greg went and chased after him. I don't think dad had even noticed me and Greg had disappeared. Some of the big memories of our trips to Canberra
    were seeing the giant red golf ball at the golf course in Narrabundah (I think) just near Symonston. We didn't travel through Tuggeranong in those days to come to Canberra, but up the Monaro and past Fyshwick into Manuka, which is were we usually first
    got into Canberra from. Mum and Dad liked to shop in a Catholic bookstore called 'Pellegrinis' in Manuka in those days, and we went occasionally to a catholic outlet just across the road from St Christopher's cathedral in Manuka. Early childhood is a lot
    of memories of us going to this or that Catholic place or church ororganisation, especially Vinnies in Cooma were dad did volunteer work and mum as well from time to time. I even did a little volunteering there myself on just a few occasions. That was
    dad's religion and that was dad's faith, and it kept his life very busy and was probably his biggest thing in life, looking back, apart from his work and things. Dad usually watched TV with us, and the family was usually around the TV set in the 80s for
    the Friday Night and Saturday Night movies which were a big deal for us as kids. We got a VCR as a family some time in the mid 80s and then movies became a more and more common thing, but they were pretty big news before that for us as a family in the
    earlier 80s, and TV was what we had and watched. I think our TV was a rental back than, but we owned later on and, as a lot of people can relate, they tended to proliferate in the household when they became more affordable. Ironically, these days it is
    not so much the fuss of paying for the TV, but paying for someone to take the damn old tube one away. In fact, life tends to accumulate a lot of crap in the average Aussie household I think these days and as your family grows in age and wealth it is more
    of a matter of where I am going to put the damned new things I have gotten. We're not exactly hoarders as a family, but we hardly need anything new these days. Almost more of a recycling thing really, with out with the old and in with the new, and
    sometimes it doesn't even have to be that old before we let go of it. Just the way of the world at the moment. Dad, in younger years, would have been more used to toasters that you toast one side at a time and then open the lids, turn the bread around,
    and toast the other side. I could imagine that would have been exactly what he had. But later on, like kettles and things, they became more elaborate. Obviously dad, being born in 1922 and dying in 2007 lived through a turbulent time of not only
    conflicts, but vast technological change as well. He probably would have seen the advent of TV and Computers and probably got something of a concept of the Internet, even though he was a bit old and out of touch by the time it was starting to really
    emerge. Dad was never a PC Computer man at home, dabbling with older technologies like 70s calculators and telephones of his era and things, but he is the kind of man who would have been had they been around in his generation. Quite possibly would have
    been an IT man if he was born in later generations. Amongst his old letters and work envelopes and things he had a lot of letters with 'O.H.M.S' on them, which I think were related to his time in Post Master's General. He worked in various places, and of
    course working up in the snow a lot of time during the Snowy Mountains Scheme years, though mum tells me now that he didn't actually work on the scheme itself, but did work up there during the time-frame. Ironically the Snowy TV mini series from the 90s
    I think it was, was set in Cooma, but it wasn't actually Cooma were they filmed because all the places were different. Dad enjoyed his TV, and watched a lot of it in Canberra years in retirement. He lived a quiet enough life I guess for the most part,
    and wasn't given to going on a huge number of trips personally, though he went with mum a lot. In latter years Greg and Mum and me and Matt and Dad would travel a lot here and there around the Canberra region on various trips with dad, getting him in and
    out of his chair and helping him to get along. Really, despite dad's frailty, they were enjoyable times, and in many ways the best years of my life. A lot of that was the early 2000s before dad died in 2007, and I hope dad enjoyed those years, despite
    his frail condition. One trip was out to the tracking station in Tidbinbilla, and I remember pushing dad along in his wheelchair, and pointing out the big dishes to him which he enjoyed looking at. Dad's sort of stuff, really. They were good times, those
    years. Really, quite good times. I was young in my Noahide faith, but happy with it, and I enjoyed my life with my family, and was, even though I might not have expressed it, very happy to be part of a family with a good father at the head. Since then,
    life has become gradually a bit more sedate, and I think that will go on for some more time yet, but I sense change is coming one day, and a more interactive life will start happening for Daniel Daly again. Not yet, but I'll get there. Naturally, dad had
    incontinence problems in later years, and the carers did great work, as did mum, in taking care of him properly. Dad WAS taken care of very well in his latter years. He had an active life, despite his frail condition, and mum was a wonderful lady to
    stand so dutifully by her husband and ensure he had the best of care for him in his latter years. He deserved it as well, and I have very fond memories of our final years together.

[continued in next message]

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)