• More History

From Noahide Videos Bible@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 28 04:11:06 2018
    Victoria's England

Historical Notes of Daniel from 6178 SC

Victoria's England. I remember it. Sort of. Not really in the actual living history of experiencing it firsthand, but in the repercussions of her tenures, which are still felt today. You see her on those half crown coins, that noble face, that staunch
    old English maid, who a nation worshipped and prayed for the salvation of, and knew herself a goddess over the world's biggest Empire, surely to rule the waves eternal. You see it these days, the emblems of the Victorian era, in our still tradition of
    good dress, and fine speech, and intelligent British conversation. A culture shaped linguistically so much since the time of Shakespeare, but born again in Jane Austen, and seeing life clearly in Thomas Hardy. Mary Poppins may have indeed popped in to
    many a home, but those values were staunchly British, and the Empire was onwards forever. I think of Victoria as the Grand Matriarch of British Society, and despite Cromwell's protestations, the young Churchill as its deepest advocate of the British way
    of life. They fought wars, and built Empire, and Victoria's name and rule was known from far flung India, to the heart of deepest, darkest Afryka. I see it still in our English teaching Institutions, were strict headmasters bring out the cane, and
    enforce discipline, and I think that Tom Brown's school days were difficult times, with not much mercy I often felt, but which was the making of you in the end. Victoria, actually, did have liberal spirit as well. She was a woman of her era, when virtues
    were stricter, but there was a merriment in life also. Agatha Christie was born from such a world, and young J R R Tolkien's Middle Earth had so much of its culture shaped from the generation of Victoria's rulership. The Victorian era. A great name for
    Antique collectors, for it is all Antique now in the British requirements of a century of age having been reached, and while she is not ancient history quite yet, it is an era steeped in its own one day realized sense of myth, like ancient Britain is,
    with its Arthur’s and Robin Hoods, and while we have so much historical fact from the era, there is so much fantasy of the Victorian spirit which lives on to this day, and continues to shape our modern English culture. It was a time when Britain went
    through great Industrial change, and jobs changed all the time, waking up from the classical and middle ages eras, into a growing and more technologically emerging world. Lucy Potter would not quite have been burned at the stake in those days, which were
    a little bit more tolerable of the magic arts, but a witch was still a witch. She seemed to know how to be a queen. How to rule. How to curb the Empire to her will almost. How to instil respect in England's institutions, and how to maintain that respect
    long after her passing. Cricket really emerged strongly through the Victorian era, as did the football codes, and the British Empire eclipsed Rome under Victoria's steady hand as the biggest and most influential, and to this day the Anglosphere is the
    largest and most widespread cultural reality on the planet. Victoria was a real person. Victoria was a true person. She lived her life, did her duty, and was that pinnacle of Aristocracy the Empire probably really did need, which continued proud
    traditions, and made Britain strong and great. In some ways we live in the shadow of Victoria still, although Elizabeth the Second has eclipsed her service in this year of 6178 SC, and I think, despite the great majority of King's the Empire has had, it
    is her Queen's which have seemed to have risen to the greatest of prominence and fame with the recollections of history. Long may we say God save the Queen.

The Life of Winston Churchill

A biography by Daniel Thomas Andrew Daly

(Written 14th of September 6180 SC / 2017 CE)

Winston Churchill was a Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. He came to prominence especiall during World War II, in leading Britain against the evils of Nazi Germany under Adolph Hitler. Winston was traditional in his ways, but would act boldly at
    time, and break rules to get things done. He inspired England during the war with determined speeches to oppose the blitzkrieg of Germany, to fight them on the beaches and in the air and to defend the British Way of Life. England had declared war on
    Germany in 1939 after Germany had invaded Poland. This had crossed the line in British political opinion, and so war unfortunately had to be waged. Prominent during the war was the Spitfire, a British plane, which was a key asset in the Battle of
    Britain, the airwar fought with Germany in the skies over Britain. Germany didn’t win that fight, in the end. They left off, and Britain eventually, when the American’s joined the fight, pushed into Europe with D Day, and eventually conquered the
    German’s attempt at building another reich for the glory of Germany. Winston Churchill lived on after the war, and was one of the most influential people of the 20th century. He was also an artist, and our family have a jug with some of his artwork
    on it. After resigning from Government in 1955 he painted over 500 pieces of artwork as a hobby of his. Winston was born on the 30th of November 1874 in Blenheim Castle in Woodstock, Oxfordshire and died at his London home, aged 90, on the 24th of
    January 1965.

The Life of Peter Paul Daly

A biography by his Grand-Son Daniel Thomas Andrew Daly

I never met Peter Paul. He died before I was born. Dad (Cyril) tells me he was a hard man, and I get the feeling dad didn’t appreciate it that much. I think dad said he had a taste for classical music, so he must have had some records. Mum also told me
    that Peter Paul played the fiddle, so obviously he had a fondness of music. Peter Paul was the son of Peter Daly, who worked as a Grocer in Mullingar (who dad recalls as also being Peter Paul Daly) and Maria Daly nee Molloy, and he was born in Earl
    Street, Mullingar in Ireland on the 6th of July 1876. Peter Paul's father, Peter Daly, was on the Town Council of Mullingar, serving as Chairman of the Board from 1888 to 1899. Of Course, Peter Paul Daly was born at Earl Street in Mullingar. Also from
    that time period we have this online record of Denis Daly and his family. The address was 3 Earl Street in Mullingar from the 1911 Census. Denis was born about 1857, which potentially makes him a brother of 'Peter Daly' the Town Commissioner, due to the
    Earl Street Residence were Peter Paul Daly was born.

Peter Paul Daly was baptized into the Roman Catholic Church on the 11th of July 1876. Funnily enough my brother Gregory was born 100 years after Grand-pa, in 1976. At one point in Peter's life he worked as a Tutor in Orange, NSW and at another he worked
    as a cellarman in one of the Pubs on one of the main streets of Sydney (ie Pitt or Elizabeth or York street or something like that). Peter married Mary Ann McLean (born 26th of June 1885 in Sydney, the daughter of Duncan McLean and Mary McLean nee Finn)
    at St Mary's Cathedral in Sydney on the 10th of February 1908. Joseph Daly, his brother, witnessed the marriage and signed on the certificate. They had 1 girl, Molly, followed by 9 boys (in no particular order) Stan, Keith, Frank, Leo, Vincent, Cyril,
    Brian, Peter & Kevin, followed by another girl, Philomena who was last of all. Here at 29 Merriman crescent we have a photo of Peter Paul with some of his boys, as well as a photo of him with his wife (my grandmother) Mary Ann. Peter lived at 43 Arden
    Street in Clovelly in Sydney where the family was initially raised in Cyril's years, and it would have been a tight fit with so many children. The whole family was Roman Catholic, and it appears they were quite religious and Grandfather probably went to
    church every Sunday like dad. His son Leo was a Marist Brother, and the whole Clan were involved with Church throughout their lives and kept the faith. I remember going along to St Vincent de Paul with uncle Kevin in Sydney one time, and that uncle Frank
    went to the latin mass later on in life. Each of the Daly boys seemed actively involved with the Church. Peter Paul used to go to Mass every morning, and he would read the papers in the park before work. He went to Mass up in Waverly at Immaculate Heart
    instead of Arden Street church, because he preferred those priests who wore the brown habits. At home in Arden street, it was a small 2 bedroom place, with a lounge room, and the family would sit in the kitchen, while Peter Paul sat alone in the lounge
    room very often. An anecdote from the family is that every afternoon, on radio 2BL, Peter Paul would be listening and 'God save the King' would come on the radio at 4 O'Clock, and he would storm down the hallway in a huff (In true Irish fashion). Auntie
    Shirlie provided that anecdote for me. His wife Mary Ann died on the 5th of July 1939 at 43 Arden Street, and this was recorded in the Sydney Morning Herald in the obituaries on Thursday the 6th of July 1939 (available to view online). There was a
    requiem mass for the repose of her soul held at St Anthony's church, Clovelly, on the Thursday morning at 9 O'Clock. The funeral party would leave the church, after Mass, for the Botany Cemetery. By request there would be no flowers. According to online
    records found at the 'Ancestry' website, Peter lived at Waverly in Sydney in 1915, Coogee in Sydney in 1930, Coogee in Sydney in 1937, Waverly in Sydney in 1943 and Clovelly in Sydney in 1963. He died on the 20th of June 1965 aged 88. Grandpa Peter has '
    Daly' features in photos of him from younger years, and I can see were his son's get their looks. I am grateful to my grandfather for having my father, and without him I would not be here. I am sure he is in the heavenlies, receiving his reward and
    enjoying his rest, and my prayers and best wishes are for him.

Daniel Thomas Andrew Daly

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)