• Sharon as an Irish Name?

From libramagyc23@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 28 03:39:18 2016
    Searon

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From keeuler59@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Sharon Krossa on Mon Apr 11 09:49:28 2016
    On Wednesday, December 28, 1994 at 9:14:46 AM UTC-5, Sharon Krossa wrote:
    Greetings all:
    I have been wondering for many years about the "Irishness" of my
    first name: Sharon. I hope this is an appropriate place to post my question.
    In the United States, 'Sharon' is almost universally regarded as
    being an Irish Catholic name, with a smaller number coming from a Jewish background. It's not a particularly common name (I've met less than a dozen Sharon's in the USA) though I'm told its actually on the top 50 names
    list of the last 100 years or so, though near the bottom (again, in the USA).
    All my life I've been told 'Sharon' is an Irish name, and I have
    never met a Sharon in the USA who did not think the same and who was not
    of Irish Catholic ancestry. Now, I know that originally the name comes
    from the _Song of Songs_ in the Bible, from the reference to "the rose of Sharon", the Sharon there being a geographic location (a plain I'm told).
    My question is not about the original source, but about whether Sharon is
    a common name in Ireland, now or in the past, or is Sharon more
    accurately described in the USA as a "Irish-American" name rather than an "Irish" name? Did Sharon only become popular among Irish ancestered
    people *after* they arrived in the USA, or is this a continuation of Irish tradition?
    I have searched Irish and Scots Gaelic name lists in vain for a
    gaelic version of Sharon (as a name), which I would have expected if it
    was a longstanding traditional name (Just as one finds all the popular saints names from the bible in Irish form...). Does Sharon exist as a
    name in Irish (Gaelic)?
    If Sharon isn't and wasn't ever a popular Irish Catholic name (in Ireland) -- where did the American perception that it is/was come from?
    Anyway, I hope you can help me solve this mystery!
    Thank you,
    Sharon Krossa, s.krossa@aberdeen.ac.uk (don't be fooled by my email
    address -- I really am an American!)
    PS I am aware of the amazing popularity and rather unflattering
    stereotypes associated with the name Sharon in England and Scotland --
    was rather a shock coming from the USA where all it meant was you were probably Irish and *that* is regarded in the USA as being a *good* thing! ;-)

My name is Sharron O'Brien definitely Iris-Catholic descent however, I also have met few Sharon's and in particular spelt the same as mine w 2 re's, my son lived on Ireland for a year and told me the favourite nick name for Sharron's was Shazza....I
    love it

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From sailintigger@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Apr 23 16:46:26 2017
    I'm an Scot/Irish Sharon, however my mom spelled my name SHARAN. No she's not from either country, she's from Arkansas. I thinks that just about says it all LOL. Oh she also decided messing up my first name wasn't enough she sees my middle name MAREE.
    Yes it's supposed to be Marie. All I can say is Arkansas.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From sm.mcneely@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Sharon Krossa on Mon Dec 25 13:45:48 2017
    On Wednesday, December 28, 1994 at 8:14:46 AM UTC-6, Sharon Krossa wrote:
    Greetings all:
    I have been wondering for many years about the "Irishness" of my
    first name: Sharon. I hope this is an appropriate place to post my question.
    In the United States, 'Sharon' is almost universally regarded as
    being an Irish Catholic name, with a smaller number coming from a Jewish background. It's not a particularly common name (I've met less than a dozen Sharon's in the USA) though I'm told its actually on the top 50 names
    list of the last 100 years or so, though near the bottom (again, in the USA).
    All my life I've been told 'Sharon' is an Irish name, and I have
    never met a Sharon in the USA who did not think the same and who was not
    of Irish Catholic ancestry. Now, I know that originally the name comes
    from the _Song of Songs_ in the Bible, from the reference to "the rose of Sharon", the Sharon there being a geographic location (a plain I'm told).
    My question is not about the original source, but about whether Sharon is
    a common name in Ireland, now or in the past, or is Sharon more
    accurately described in the USA as a "Irish-American" name rather than an "Irish" name? Did Sharon only become popular among Irish ancestered
    people *after* they arrived in the USA, or is this a continuation of Irish tradition?
    I have searched Irish and Scots Gaelic name lists in vain for a
    gaelic version of Sharon (as a name), which I would have expected if it
    was a longstanding traditional name (Just as one finds all the popular
    saints names from the bible in Irish form...). Does Sharon exist as a
    name in Irish (Gaelic)?
    If Sharon isn't and wasn't ever a popular Irish Catholic name (in Ireland) -- where did the American perception that it is/was come from?
    Anyway, I hope you can help me solve this mystery!
    Thank you,
    Sharon Krossa, s.krossa@aberdeen.ac.uk (don't be fooled by my email
    address -- I really am an American!)
    PS I am aware of the amazing popularity and rather unflattering
    stereotypes associated with the name Sharon in England and Scotland --
    was rather a shock coming from the USA where all it meant was you were probably Irish and *that* is regarded in the USA as being a *good* thing! ;-)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

I am Sharon Marie, of the Irish Catholic culture. Both sides of my family are of solid lineage back to Ireland. My experience is exactly the same as you describe Sharon Krossa!

I enjoyed reading the feedback (of the pleasant kind:), and I enjoy the Hebrew connection.

I was just enjoying a bit to eat before Christmas dinner and I decided to google my name. I have long been aware of the Hebrew origin, but I never pursued how the name fits in Ireland. All of my sibs have very Irish names.

Thank you- very enjoyable!

Sharon sm.mcneely@gmail.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From hudsonsharon56@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 10 20:49:56 2018
    I am also Sharon I knew My name was Hebrew,But My Maternal Grandma was born in Ireland and told me its an Irish name,My children are Erin,Megan and Brandon keeping a bit Irish still

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From sharonachiles@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 1 00:47:05 2018
    My name is Sharon too,just given by our neighbor without any ideas where the name came from or it's origin. But based on my research it was a Hebrew name means plain. I'm a Filipino, I thought my name is an American name. Now I'm amazed how my name is
    very interesting and meaningful in the history.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MissyMay1998@me.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 14 18:37:56 2018
    My last name is Sharon. It's Scottish/Irish background. It was originally spelt different when my ansestors lived in England.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From saellis6612@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 1 07:55:59 2020
    My name is Sharon Fitzgerald. Catholic Irish? You bet!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sharon Azar@21:1/5 to saell...@gmail.com on Thu Aug 18 10:09:43 2022
    I always thought my name (Sharon) was Irish!! But it seems it's an ancient Hebrew name meaning 'fertile plain'!! On Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 8:56:00 AM UTC-7, saell...@gmail.com wrote:
    My name is Sharon Fitzgerald. Catholic Irish? You bet!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05