• Iran launches missile saying Death to Isreal, but in the news it's a su

From Beach Runner@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 10 23:46:46 2016
    This was found under
    WHAT TO SAY WHEN YOUR CO-WORKER CALLS IN "SICK" AND THEN POSTS A VACATION PIC...

Bold move. Yesterday, North Korea said it's developed technology that makes it possible to launch nuclear warheads really, really far. Happy Thursday. Reminder: North Korea does not play well with others. Earlier this year, the country said it
    successfully tested a hydrogen bomb . But NK's media is about as reliable as wifi on a plane, so the US called the country's bluff. Yesterday's news could also be BS. But if it's true, it would be a huge red flag to the US and the international community.
    Speaking of countries doing things they shouldn't, Iran is also in the doghouse. Earlier this week, the country launched missiles that the US says could violate a UN rule. And then yesterday, the country tested even more missiles, which Iran says are
    capable of reaching its enemies in Israel. Comforting, since the missiles reportedly have "Israel must be wiped out" written on them in Hebrew. So sweet.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Beach Runner@21:1/5 to Beach Runner on Mon Mar 14 23:49:09 2016
    On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 3:39:27 PM UTC-8, Beach Runner wrote:
    This was found under
    WHAT TO SAY WHEN YOUR CO-WORKER CALLS IN "SICK" AND THEN POSTS A VACATION PIC...

Bold move. Yesterday, North Korea said it's developed technology that makes it possible to launch nuclear warheads really, really far. Happy Thursday. Reminder: North Korea does not play well with others. Earlier this year, the country said it
    successfully tested a hydrogen bomb . But NK's media is about as reliable as wifi on a plane, so the US called the country's bluff. Yesterday's news could also be BS. But if it's true, it would be a huge red flag to the US and the international community.
    Speaking of countries doing things they shouldn't, Iran is also in the doghouse. Earlier this week, the country launched missiles that the US says could violate a UN rule. And then yesterday, the country tested even more missiles, which Iran says are
    capable of reaching its enemies in Israel. Comforting, since the missiles reportedly have "Israel must be wiped out" written on them in Hebrew. So sweet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/01/07/music-lessons-spur-emotional-and-behavioral-growth-in-children-new-study-says/?tid=a_inl

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From malcolm.mclean5@btinternet.com@21:1/5 to Beach Runner on Tue Mar 15 16:33:35 2016
    On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 11:41:47 PM UTC, Beach Runner wrote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/01/07/music-lessons-spur-emotional-and-behavioral-growth-in-children-new-study-says/?tid=a_inl

They will of course control for social class. But maybe being forced to learn a musical
    instrument is a better predictor of a middle class mummy than the measures used to define the controls, such as parental income.

The main drawback with music lessons is that children very seldom spontaneously compose their own pieces, or even learn to play music which hasn't been assigned.
    It's a bad way of opening a child's creativity, certainly relative to the resources
    invested in it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman Rubin@21:1/5 to malcolm.mclean5@btinternet.com on Wed Mar 16 17:06:44 2016
    On 2016-03-15, malcolm.mclean5@btinternet.com <malcolm.mclean5@btinternet.com> wrote:

They will of course control for social class. But maybe being forced
    to learn a musical
    instrument is a better predictor of a middle class mummy than the measures used
    to define the controls, such as parental income.

The main drawback with music lessons is that children very seldom
    spontaneously > compose their own pieces, or even learn to play music
    which hasn't been assigned. > It's a bad way of opening a child's
    creativity, certainly relative to the resources
    invested in it.

I do not see the relevance of music ability as a predictor of
    overall ability; I am am extreme counterexample.

--
    This address is for information only. I do not claim that these views
    are those of the Statistics Department or of Purdue University.
    Herman Rubin, Department of Statistics, Purdue University hrubin@stat.purdue.edu Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shelly@21:1/5 to Herman Rubin on Wed Mar 16 18:58:04 2016
    On 3/16/2016 1:06 PM, Herman Rubin wrote:
    On 2016-03-15, malcolm.mclean5@btinternet.com <malcolm.mclean5@btinternet.com> wrote:

They will of course control for social class. But maybe being forced
    to learn a musical
    instrument is a better predictor of a middle class mummy than the measures used
    to define the controls, such as parental income.

The main drawback with music lessons is that children very seldom
    spontaneously > compose their own pieces, or even learn to play music
    which hasn't been assigned. > It's a bad way of opening a child's creativity, certainly relative to the resources
    invested in it.

...and poor Shelly half-note here makes that two extreme counterexamples.

--
    Shelly

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From malcolm.mclean5@btinternet.com@21:1/5 to Herman Rubin on Wed Mar 16 21:47:09 2016
    On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 4:59:19 PM UTC, Herman Rubin wrote:

The main drawback with music lessons is that children very seldom spontaneously compose their own pieces, or even learn to play music
    which hasn't been assigned. It's a bad way of opening a child's creativity, certainly relative to the resources
    invested in it.

Ability in one area predicts ability in another.

Some children are more "arts side", good at subjects like English
    and history. Others are more "science side", and prefer subjects
    like chemistry and physics. But most selective schools are simply
    "selectives" - the good historians are almost always also reasonably
    good mathematicians. They also tend to be the better football
    players.
    You do get some exceptions, there's certainly a type who is good
    academically but not good at games, and another who is very good
    at games but not at all academic. And few people are good at
    absolutely everything, there are usually one or two areas of
    weakness. But as a predictor, success in one area is very good
    for success in another.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Beach Runner@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 17 04:28:49 2016
    I have to admit, I accidently posted the URL about
    music and the brain. I thought I was in another window
    where it would have been relevant.

Actually, the study of the psychology and neurosciences of how
    people learn music, and the effect of serious music study on the
    brain has been one of my prime areas of research and expertise
    for the last 35 years or so.

There is a lot of great scholarly research in the area. So much of what
    people think of as "Talents" are the result of early learning or can be taught. In fact, the origin of the word "Talent" was a Roman coin, and with enough talents you could do anything.

There really is not question that serious study of music has been
    shown to improve academic performance, abstract thinking and even intelligence. It has been shown that people who study music develop data structures in their brain, MRI and PET scans show these same data structures light up and are active
    during abstract concepts in math, science and physics.

Einstein credited his abilities on learning the violin as a toddler. It was his lifelong love.

Once Horowitz gave a concert at Princeton. Afterwards there was a party for Horowitz and the faculty. Einstein brought his fiddle and cajoled Horowitz into playing a violin concerto with him. After about 15 minutes and very frustrated Horowitz said to
    Einstein "What's the matter, can't you count."

If we want to create a nation of scientists and engineers we don't want to teach
    them rote arithmetic, we want them to study music, solve problems, fail at things and learn to pick themselves back up, and work with other people. none of which is done in most schools today.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shelly@21:1/5 to Beach Runner on Thu Mar 17 12:03:48 2016
    On 3/17/2016 12:28 AM, Beach Runner wrote:

There is a lot of great scholarly research in the area. So much of what people think of as "Talents" are the result of early learning or can be taught.
    In fact, the origin of the word "Talent" was a Roman coin, and with enough talents you could do anything.

shown to improve academic performance, abstract thinking and even intelligence.
    It has been shown that people who study music develop data structures in their brain, MRI and PET scans show these same data structures light up and are active

Einstein credited his abilities on learning the violin as a toddler. It was his lifelong love.

Once Horowitz gave a concert at Princeton. Afterwards there was a party for Horowitz and the faculty. Einstein brought his fiddle and cajoled Horowitz into playing a violin concerto with him. After about 15 minutes and very frustrated Horowitz said
    to Einstein "What's the matter, can't you count."

If we want to create a nation of scientists and engineers we don't want to teach
    them rote arithmetic, we want them to study music, solve problems, fail at things and learn to pick themselves back up, and work with other people. none of which is done in most schools today.

Personally, I think a connection between music and success elsewhere is
    because it takes time, dedication, and practice to succeed in music and
    those are the qualities that transfer to other fields. It, IMO, has
    nothing to do with music specifically, but rather could be in the study
    of any other field that required those qualities.

--
    Shelly

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Yisroel Markov@21:1/5 to lowhertz@gmail.com on Thu Mar 17 15:52:22 2016
    On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 04:28:49 +0000 (UTC), Beach Runner
    <lowhertz@gmail.com> said:

There is a lot of great scholarly research in the area. So much of what >people think of as "Talents" are the result of early learning or can be taught.
    In fact, the origin of the word "Talent" was a Roman coin, and with enough >talents you could do anything.

The Roman talent weighed over 70 pounds. That's some coin :-)

A propos of that, the biblical kikar was probably the same or about
    the same weight as the Roman talent. The gold gathered for the
    portable sanctuary in the desert, as reported in my professional sedra
    last week (its common name can be roughly translated as "accounting"),
    was 29 talents 730 shekels, about a metric ton, worth about $40
    million at yesterday's closing price.

It has been shown that people who study music develop data structures in their brain, MRI and PET scans show these same data structures light up and are active

Once Horowitz gave a concert at Princeton. Afterwards there was a party for Horowitz and the faculty. Einstein brought his fiddle and cajoled Horowitz into playing a violin concerto with him. After about 15 minutes and very frustrated Horowitz said to
    Einstein "What's the matter, can't you count."

Nor will it be done while the schools remain effectively a government
    monopoly and not accountable to parents.
    --
    Yisroel "Godwrestler Warriorson" Markov - Boston, MA Member www.reason.com -- for a sober analysis of the world DNRC --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Judge, and be prepared to be judged" -- Ayn Rand

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Beach Runner@21:1/5 to shel...@thevillages.net on Thu Mar 17 18:00:07 2016
    On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 4:56:22 AM UTC-7, shel...@thevillages.net wrote:

There is a lot of great scholarly research in the area. So much of what people think of as "Talents" are the result of early learning or can be taught.
    In fact, the origin of the word "Talent" was a Roman coin, and with enough talents you could do anything.

Once Horowitz gave a concert at Princeton. Afterwards there was a party for Horowitz and the faculty. Einstein brought his fiddle and cajoled Horowitz into playing a violin concerto with him. After about 15 minutes and very frustrated Horowitz said

Personally, I think a connection between music and success elsewhere is because it takes time, dedication, and practice to succeed in music and those are the qualities that transfer to other fields. It, IMO, has

--
    Shelly

Shelly,

With all due respect, the behaviors you write are indeed associated with success in other fields.

However, there is much more to it. There is extensive research that serious musical study actually changes the brain in a variety of ways. New data structures are created, circuity is created, even new neurons grown. Looking
    at a musician and non musician doing abstract math under on Pet Scan shows significant differences. It really isn't an opinion.

I have a summary of research on the effect of music on the brain on one of my pages at www.comarow.com

Just click on the brain and music.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shelly@21:1/5 to Beach Runner on Thu Mar 17 18:43:18 2016
    On 3/17/2016 2:00 PM, Beach Runner wrote:

There is a lot of great scholarly research in the area. So much of what >>> people think of as "Talents" are the result of early learning or can be taught.
    In fact, the origin of the word "Talent" was a Roman coin, and with enough >>> talents you could do anything.

--
    Shelly

Shelly,

With all due respect, the behaviors you write are indeed associated with success in other fields.

However, there is much more to it. There is extensive research that serious musical study actually changes the brain in a variety of ways. New data structures are created, circuity is created, even new neurons grown. Looking
    at a musician and non musician doing abstract math under on Pet Scan shows significant differences. It really isn't an opinion.

I have a summary of research on the effect of music on the brain on one of my pages at www.comarow.com

With all due respect, you are missing my point as well. I don't
    challenge that serious study of music can sharpen the brain and transfer
    to other things. However, so can serious study in many other fields
    transfer to yet other fields. It is the act of dedication to study, and
    not the specific topic, that is the reason for this. I would say that
    serious study of doing Sudoku puzzles for example can, and probably
    does, have the same beneficial effect.

The point here is that this does not lead to a conclusion that music
    should be emphasized as a field of study so as to sharpen the brain for
    other areas. It is but ONE way, but clearly not the only way. My brain,
    for example, was sharpened not by study of music, but early on composing
    long strings of multiplication of fractions which I then reduced to
    lowest form. Is that the way for everyone? Not at all.

So, while music study can be valuable as far as having side benefits, it
    is not THE path for all. Reading books and writing analyses of the
    characters can be another. Composing poems or short stories can be
    another. Intricate woodworking can be another. There are so many methods
    that it is impossible to list them all. Music is but one, valuable for some(you), but worthless for others(me).

--
    Shelly

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DoD@21:1/5 to Shelly on Thu Mar 17 19:07:05 2016
    "Shelly" <sheldonlg@thevillages.net> wrote in message news:ncet7t$dt0$1@dont-email.me...
    On 3/17/2016 2:00 PM, Beach Runner wrote:
    On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 4:56:22 AM UTC-7, shel...@thevillages.net
    wrote:

There is a lot of great scholarly research in the area. So much of
    what
    people think of as "Talents" are the result of early learning or can be >>>> taught.
    In fact, the origin of the word "Talent" was a Roman coin, and with
    enough
    talents you could do anything.

shown to improve academic performance, abstract thinking and even
    intelligence.
    It has been shown that people who study music develop data structures
    in their brain, MRI and PET scans show these same data structures light >>>> up and are active

Einstein credited his abilities on learning the violin as a toddler.
    It was his lifelong love.

Once Horowitz gave a concert at Princeton. Afterwards there was a party >>>> for Horowitz and the faculty. Einstein brought his fiddle and cajoled >>>> Horowitz into playing a violin concerto with him. After about 15
    minutes and very frustrated Horowitz said to Einstein "What's the
    matter, can't you count."

If we want to create a nation of scientists and engineers we don't want >>>> to teach
    them rote arithmetic, we want them to study music, solve problems, fail >>>> at things and learn to pick themselves back up, and work with other
    people. none of which is done in most schools today.

--
    Shelly

Shelly,

With all due respect, the behaviors you write are indeed associated with
    success in other fields.

However, there is much more to it. There is extensive research that
    serious
    musical study actually changes the brain in a variety of ways. New data
    structures are created, circuity is created, even new neurons grown.
    Looking
    at a musician and non musician doing abstract math under on Pet Scan
    shows
    significant differences. It really isn't an opinion.

I have a summary of research on the effect of music on the brain on one
    of my
    pages at www.comarow.com

With all due respect, you are missing my point as well. I don't challenge that serious study of music can sharpen the brain and transfer to other things. However, so can serious study in many other fields transfer to yet other fields. It is the act of dedication to study, and not the specific topic, that is the reason for this. I would say that serious study of
    doing Sudoku puzzles for example can, and probably does, have the same beneficial effect.

The point here is that this does not lead to a conclusion that music
    should be emphasized as a field of study so as to sharpen the brain for
    other areas. It is but ONE way, but clearly not the only way. My brain,
    for example, was sharpened not by study of music, but early on composing
    long strings of multiplication of fractions which I then reduced to lowest form. Is that the way for everyone? Not at all.

So, while music study can be valuable as far as having side benefits, it
    is not THE path for all. Reading books and writing analyses of the characters can be another. Composing poems or short stories can be
    another. Intricate woodworking can be another. There are so many methods
    that it is impossible to list them all. Music is but one, valuable for some(you), but worthless for others(me).

Actually I have an issue of PopSci that debunks brain myths.... You are right... In the FULL
    issue they said that music doesn't do anymore for you than puzzles etc...
    they said the
    best way to keep the brain sharp (which is in the online preview)

1.) Get the Blood Flowing
    2.) Eat Your Greens
    3.) Talk to People

http://www.popsci.com/10-brain-myths-busted

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman Rubin@21:1/5 to Beach Runner on Fri Mar 18 17:03:46 2016
    On 2016-03-17, Beach Runner <lowhertz@gmail.com> wrote:

With all due respect, the behaviors you write are indeed associated
    with success in other fields.

serious > musical study actually changes the brain in a variety of ways.
    New data structures are created, circuity is created, even new neurons
    grown. Looking > at a musician and non musician doing abstract math under
    on Pet Scan shows > significant differences. It really isn't an opinion.

With due respect, I do not see that much of an effect. I am not bragging,
    but my ability at abstract math is acknowledged. My son was doing abstract math before he was six, and while he did learn to play the violing without screeching, and he does sing well, he is in no way a musician. If they
    graded on the ability to keep on key singing, I would have flunked.

I have no problem understanding the physics of music, and I can compare
    pitch well, but that is as far as I go. My daughter went further in music,
    and she can understand abstract mathematics reasonably well, but she is
    not what mathematicians would consider to be an abstract mathematician.
    So it is not surprising that I do not think that there is that much of
    an effect, at least from music to mathematics.

--
    Herman Rubin, Department of Statistics, Purdue University hrubin@stat.purdue.edu Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Beach Runner@21:1/5 to Herman Rubin on Fri Mar 18 22:19:52 2016
    On Friday, March 18, 2016 at 9:56:18 AM UTC-7, Herman Rubin wrote:
    On 2016-03-17, Beach Runner <lowhertz@gmail.com> wrote:

With all due respect, the behaviors you write are indeed associated
    with success in other fields.

serious > musical study actually changes the brain in a variety of ways.
    New data structures are created, circuity is created, even new neurons
    grown. Looking > at a musician and non musician doing abstract math under
    on Pet Scan shows > significant differences. It really isn't an opinion.

I have a summary of research on the effect of music on the brain on one of my
    pages at www.comarow.com

With due respect, I do not see that much of an effect. I am not bragging, but my ability at abstract math is acknowledged. My son was doing abstract math before he was six, and while he did learn to play the violing without screeching, and he does sing well, he is in no way a musician. If they graded on the ability to keep on key singing, I would have flunked.

I have no problem understanding the physics of music, and I can compare
    pitch well, but that is as far as I go. My daughter went further in music, and she can understand abstract mathematics reasonably well, but she is
    not what mathematicians would consider to be an abstract mathematician.
    So it is not surprising that I do not think that there is that much of
    an effect, at least from music to mathematics.

--

I have no doubt you have some natural abilities with abstract concepts in
    math and science. Musical training would probably strengthen them, not simply scratching on a violin. The science is that it does create data structures in the brain and has other effects on the brain.

I do doubt you looked at the research. Places like MIT are filled with great musicians, it's no coincidence.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shelly@21:1/5 to Beach Runner on Sat Mar 19 12:30:15 2016
    On 3/18/2016 6:19 PM, Beach Runner wrote:

I have no doubt you have some natural abilities with abstract concepts in math and science. Musical training would probably strengthen them, not simply
    scratching on a violin. The science is that it does create data structures in
    the brain and has other effects on the brain.

I do doubt you looked at the research. Places like MIT are filled with great musicians, it's no coincidence.

I went to an elite school. At that time it was composed of the the
    third best engineering school in the country, one of the top
    architectural schools in the country, and an extremely highly rated art
    school. The name was "The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science
    and Art".

A number of the students I knew played instruments. Most did not. The
    ones that played instruments were NOT at the top of the class. They
    ranged all over the ballpark. I was also in the theater club, and the
    only engineering student there. What I saw in the others was about zero interest in math and science.

What you are doing is confusing coincidence with cause and effect.
    Essentially it is equivalent to saying that thunder produces lightning
    because after every thunderclap there is a lightning bolt. There are
    many pathways to developing abstract thought, and music study is but one
    of them -- but it is not the subject that produces that change. It is
    the dedication, effort, and mental stimulation of the hard work.

--
    Shelly

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Beach Runner@21:1/5 to shel...@thevillages.net on Sun Mar 20 04:37:11 2016
    On Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 5:22:46 AM UTC-7, shel...@thevillages.net wrote:

I have no doubt you have some natural abilities with abstract concepts in math and science. Musical training would probably strengthen them, not simply

architectural schools in the country, and an extremely highly rated art school. The name was "The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science
    and Art".

only engineering student there. What I saw in the others was about zero interest in math and science.

What you are doing is confusing coincidence with cause and effect. Essentially it is equivalent to saying that thunder produces lightning because after every thunderclap there is a lightning bolt. There are

--
    Shelly

Shelly,

There are MRI and Pet Scan studies that show the data structures created
    with musical study, one's that don't normally exist, light up during
    abstract thinking. It's very clear science.

Cooper Union is a great school. I understand everyone gets a scholarship
    so they only take the very best? When I worked at Grumman a number of the
    most brilliant engineers had studied at Cooper Union.

One older man was brilliant, he was Irish and his family didn't want him
    going there, wanted him to operate elevators or be a pipe fitter, but the
    rebel in him went to Cooper Union.

He ended up being the primary designed of the E2, which is the "flying
    Air Traffic Controller Plane". They basically build a plane around a militarized IBM 360 at the time. It's been in service a long time, and
    I wonder what computer technology is used now.

Bob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shelly@21:1/5 to Beach Runner on Sun Mar 20 13:19:46 2016
    On 3/20/2016 12:37 AM, Beach Runner wrote:

I have no doubt you have some natural abilities with abstract concepts in >>> math and science. Musical training would probably strengthen them, not simply

and Art".

only engineering student there. What I saw in the others was about zero
    interest in math and science.

--
    Shelly

Shelly,

I am getting tired of repeatedly telling you that you miss the point. I
    am not challenging what you said in the preceding paragraph. What I am
    saying is that it is but ONE of MANY ways to produce the same result. It
    is like you saying that studies have shown that running three miles
    every day produces stronger hearts and lungs. Sure, but going to the gym
    and working out, or swimming a hundred laps every day will produce the
    same result. IOW, your studies are not a good argument for forcing a
    music study program on public school students. Your argument is
    equivalent to saying that all students should be forced to run three
    miles a day.

Do you finally understand what I (and Herman) have been saying?

so they only take the very best? When I worked at Grumman a number of the most brilliant engineers had studied at Cooper Union.

I went there from 1958 to 1962. It was tuition free and there were fees amounting to less than $100 a year. In my year 1300 applied to the
    engineering school and 400 were invited to take their special tests
    (took a whole morning and I had to miss my brother's bar mitzvah). 97
    were admitted with 22 going into EE and 25 into each of ME, CE and
    ChemE. Graduation rate was about 90% of the entering class in four years
    with a few more percent taking five years. They also awarded 10
    scholarships of $350 a year which were renewable each year if you
    maintained a 3.0 average. I made sure I did since that was my dating
    money. (To get the current dollar equivalent multiply by about 6 or 7.)

--
    Shelly

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mm@21:1/5 to lowhertz@gmail.com on Sun Mar 20 14:17:22 2016
    On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 04:37:11 +0000 (UTC), Beach Runner
    <lowhertz@gmail.com> wrote:

I have no doubt you have some natural abilities with abstract concepts in >> > math and science. Musical training would probably strengthen them, not simply

and Art".

only engineering student there. What I saw in the others was about zero
    interest in math and science.

============

And that is just a coincidence? It seems to happen every time!

--
    Shelly

Shelly,

so they only take the very best? When I worked at Grumman a number of the >most brilliant engineers had studied at Cooper Union.

One older man was brilliant, he was Irish and his family didn't want him >going there, wanted him to operate elevators or be a pipe fitter, but the >rebel in him went to Cooper Union.

He ended up being the primary designed of the E2, which is the "flying
    Air Traffic Controller Plane". They basically build a plane around a militarized IBM 360 at the time. It's been in service a long time, and
    I wonder what computer technology is used now.

Bob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shelly@21:1/5 to Shelly on Sun Mar 20 14:18:54 2016
    On 3/20/2016 9:19 AM, Shelly wrote:
    On 3/20/2016 12:37 AM, Beach Runner wrote:
    On Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 5:22:46 AM UTC-7,
    shel...@thevillages.net wrote:

I have no doubt you have some natural abilities with abstract
    concepts in
    math and science. Musical training would probably strengthen them,
    not simply
    scratching on a violin. The science is that it does create data
    structures in

I do doubt you looked at the research. Places like MIT are filled
    with great musicians, it's no coincidence.

and Art".

only engineering student there. What I saw in the others was about zero >>> interest in math and science.

many pathways to developing abstract thought, and music study is but one >>> of them -- but it is not the subject that produces that change. It is

--
    Shelly

Shelly,

I am getting tired of repeatedly telling you that you miss the point. I
    am not challenging what you said in the preceding paragraph. What I am
    saying is that it is but ONE of MANY ways to produce the same result. It
    is like you saying that studies have shown that running three miles
    every day produces stronger hearts and lungs. Sure, but going to the gym
    and working out, or swimming a hundred laps every day will produce the
    same result. IOW, your studies are not a good argument for forcing a
    music study program on public school students. Your argument is
    equivalent to saying that all students should be forced to run three
    miles a day.

Do you finally understand what I (and Herman) have been saying?

so they only take the very best? When I worked at Grumman a number of
    the
    most brilliant engineers had studied at Cooper Union.

I went there from 1958 to 1962. It was tuition free and there were fees amounting to less than $100 a year. In my year 1300 applied to the engineering school and 400 were invited to take their special tests
    (took a whole morning and I had to miss my brother's bar mitzvah). 97
    were admitted with 22 going into EE and 25 into each of ME, CE and
    ChemE. Graduation rate was about 90% of the entering class in four years
    with a few more percent taking five years. They also awarded 10
    scholarships of $350 a year which were renewable each year if you
    maintained a 3.0 average. I made sure I did since that was my dating
    money. (To get the current dollar equivalent multiply by about 6 or 7.)

Here is an assignment for you, Bob. Please research if there are studies
    of other fields and that they have come up negative in producing the
    "abstract thinking ability" that you say this music study research
    produces. If there are no such studies then you have a one-of situation
    and all it is is an interesting observation, but not a call to action.
    However, if you can show that there are studies of people in the
    mathematics, engineering, science, etc. fields that put in as much time
    as those studying music did, and they didn't produce anything, then you
    have something to talk about.

Until then, I will stand by my contention that it is the dedication, the
    work ethic, the intensity and all things like that which are
    transferable among fields and not the specific field of study, eg music,
    that is/are the key(s).

IOW, any proper scientific study needs the proper controls. That is why
    in drug tests they also have people getting placebos. The proper
    controls here would be people putting in that kind of dedication into
    areas other than music. Without that, those studies you point to are,
    well, interesting, but that is it.

--
    Shelly

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05