• Stop Comparing Ukraine to World War I

From ltlee1@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 24 09:26:45 2023
    "More than a century ago, Europe was convulsed by World War I, pitting the Allies—led by Britain, France, Russia, and eventually the United States—against the Central Powers, led by imperial Germany and Austria-Hungary. In the west, fighting occurred
    along a 440-mile front that stretched from the English Channel to the Franco-Swiss border. Much of this front was characterized by an operational stalemate lasting years on end. Repeatedly, over the course of the war, hundreds of thousands of soldiers
    surged out of their trenches and went to their deaths for a few miles of land.

More than a century ago, Europe was convulsed by World War I, pitting the Allies—led by Britain, France, Russia, and eventually the United States—against the Central Powers, led by imperial Germany and Austria-Hungary. In the west, fighting occurred
    along a 440-mile front that stretched from the English Channel to the Franco-Swiss border. Much of this front was characterized by an operational stalemate lasting years on end. Repeatedly, over the course of the war, hundreds of thousands of soldiers
    surged out of their trenches and went to their deaths for a few miles of land.

Today, many commentators have likened the current Russia-Ukraine war to the Western Front of World War I. Satellite images show extensive Russian trenches all along the 700-mile front, with miles upon miles of land mines and fortifications—all of which
    seem to hark back to a different era. As do the gray-scape images of gnarled trees and mud craters inflicted by artillery barrages, as well as pictures of soldiers, drenched and shivering in the cold, standing guard in those dreary trenches that echo
    scenes from more than a century ago. Latching on to this historical analogy, observers conclude that the current Ukrainian counteroffensive is doomed to failure and that the war is inching toward an inevitable stalemate.

Historical analogies can be imperfect but informative. Some, however, are outright misleading, and the World War I analogy is one of them."

https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/07/18/ukraine-counteroffensive-world-war-i-ii-western-front-normandy-trench-warfare-strategy-history/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Y@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 28 01:36:33 2023
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀|
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀|
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀V

jutudkoigilteemadel.mygamesonline.org

On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 7:26:47 PM UTC+3, ltlee1 wrote:
    "More than a century ago, Europe was convulsed by World War I, pitting the Allies—led by Britain, France, Russia, and eventually the United States—against the Central Powers, led by imperial Germany and Austria-Hungary. In the west, fighting
    occurred along a 440-mile front that stretched from the English Channel to the Franco-Swiss border. Much of this front was characterized by an operational stalemate lasting years on end. Repeatedly, over the course of the war, hundreds of thousands of
    soldiers surged out of their trenches and went to their deaths for a few miles of land.

More than a century ago, Europe was convulsed by World War I, pitting the Allies—led by Britain, France, Russia, and eventually the United States—against the Central Powers, led by imperial Germany and Austria-Hungary. In the west, fighting
    occurred along a 440-mile front that stretched from the English Channel to the Franco-Swiss border. Much of this front was characterized by an operational stalemate lasting years on end. Repeatedly, over the course of the war, hundreds of thousands of
    soldiers surged out of their trenches and went to their deaths for a few miles of land.

Today, many commentators have likened the current Russia-Ukraine war to the Western Front of World War I. Satellite images show extensive Russian trenches all along the 700-mile front, with miles upon miles of land mines and fortifications—all of
    which seem to hark back to a different era. As do the gray-scape images of gnarled trees and mud craters inflicted by artillery barrages, as well as pictures of soldiers, drenched and shivering in the cold, standing guard in those dreary trenches that
    echo scenes from more than a century ago. Latching on to this historical analogy, observers conclude that the current Ukrainian counteroffensive is doomed to failure and that the war is inching toward an inevitable stalemate.

Historical analogies can be imperfect but informative. Some, however, are outright misleading, and the World War I analogy is one of them."

https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/07/18/ukraine-counteroffensive-world-war-i-ii-western-front-normandy-trench-warfare-strategy-history/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ltlee1@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 28 11:27:37 2023
    On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 12:26:47 PM UTC-4, ltlee1 wrote:
    "More than a century ago, Europe was convulsed by World War I, pitting the Allies—led by Britain, France, Russia, and eventually the United States—against the Central Powers, led by imperial Germany and Austria-Hungary. In the west, fighting

More than a century ago, Europe was convulsed by World War I, pitting the Allies—led by Britain, France, Russia, and eventually the United States—against the Central Powers, led by imperial Germany and Austria-Hungary. In the west, fighting

Today, many commentators have likened the current Russia-Ukraine war to the Western Front of World War I. Satellite images show extensive Russian trenches all along the 700-mile front, with miles upon miles of land mines and fortifications—all of
    which seem to hark back to a different era. As do the gray-scape images of gnarled trees and mud craters inflicted by artillery barrages, as well as pictures of soldiers, drenched and shivering in the cold, standing guard in those dreary trenches that
    echo scenes from more than a century ago. Latching on to this historical analogy, observers conclude that the current Ukrainian counteroffensive is doomed to failure and that the war is inching toward an inevitable stalemate.

"Historical analogies can be imperfect but informative."
    One comparison between Ukraine and WWI may be useful: Misalignment between Peoples and Borders.

“The continent of Europe was once an intricate, interwoven tapestry
    of overlapping languages, religions, communities and nations. ...
    Between 1914 and 1945, however, that Europe was smashed into the
    dust. The tidier Europe that emerged, blinking, into the second half
    of the twentieth century had fewer loose ends. Thanks to war,
    occupation, boundary adjustments, expulsions and genocide, almost
    every body now lived in their own country, among their own people. ...

Since 1989 it has become clearer than it was before just how much the
    stability of post war Europe rested upon the accomplishments of Josef
    Stalin and Adolf Hitler. Between them, and assisted by wartime
    collaborations, the dictators blasted flat the demographic heath upon
    which the foundation of a new and less complicated continent were
    then laid." (Post War by Tony Judt)

Before WWI and WWII: "Europe was once an intricate, interwoven tapestry
    of overlapping languages, religions, communities"

After WWI and WWII: "The tidier Europe that emerged, blinking, into the
    second half of the twentieth century had fewer loose ends."

"Since 1989 it has become clearer than it was before just how much the stability of post war Europe rested upon the accomplishments of Josef
    Stalin and Adolf Hitler."

It is clear to Tony Judt that alignment between peoples and borders are
    the foundation of post World War stability.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ltlee1@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 29 15:42:49 2023
    On Friday, July 28, 2023 at 2:27:39 PM UTC-4, ltlee1 wrote:
    On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 12:26:47 PM UTC-4, ltlee1 wrote:

"Historical analogies can be imperfect but informative."
    One comparison between Ukraine and WWI may be useful: Misalignment between Peoples and Borders.

“The continent of Europe was once an intricate, interwoven tapestry
    of overlapping languages, religions, communities and nations. ...
    Between 1914 and 1945, however, that Europe was smashed into the
    dust. The tidier Europe that emerged, blinking, into the second half
    of the twentieth century had fewer loose ends. Thanks to war,
    occupation, boundary adjustments, expulsions and genocide, almost
    every body now lived in their own country, among their own people. ...

Since 1989 it has become clearer than it was before just how much the stability of post war Europe rested upon the accomplishments of Josef
    Stalin and Adolf Hitler. Between them, and assisted by wartime collaborations, the dictators blasted flat the demographic heath upon
    which the foundation of a new and less complicated continent were
    then laid." (Post War by Tony Judt)

Before WWI and WWII: "Europe was once an intricate, interwoven tapestry
    of overlapping languages, religions, communities"

After WWI and WWII: "The tidier Europe that emerged, blinking, into the second half of the twentieth century had fewer loose ends."

"Since 1989 it has become clearer than it was before just how much the stability of post war Europe rested upon the accomplishments of Josef
    Stalin and Adolf Hitler."

It is clear to Tony Judt that alignment between peoples and borders are
    the foundation of post World War stability.

Margaret MacMilla's Foreign Affairs article https://www.foreignaffairs.com/ukraine/how-wars-dont-end
    offers more parallels:

"In 1914 and 2022 alike, those who assumed war wasn’t possible were wrong. In 1914,
    there were dangerous and unresolved tensions among the European powers, as well as
    a new arms race and regional crises, which had led to talk of war. Similarly, in the months
    leading up to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, Moscow had made clear its grievances with
    the West, and Russian President Vladimir Putin had given many indications of his intentions.
    Rather than rely on assumptions about the unlikelihood of a full-scale war, Western leaders
    who doubted the prospect of a Russian invasion should have paid more attention to his
    rhetoric about Ukraine. The title of the lengthy essay Putin published in 2021 said it all: “On
    the Historical Unity of Russians and Ukrainians.” Not only was Ukraine the birthplace of
    Russia itself, he argued, but its peoples have always been Russian. In his view, malign outside
    forces—Austria-Hungary before World War I and the European Union today—had tried to divide
    Russia from its rightful patrimony.

Putin also echoed early-twentieth-century leaders in concluding that war was a reasonable option. "

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05