• nextdoor dot com discussion on city driving

From David P.@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 1 14:25:18 2023
    nextdoor dot com discussion
    Edward Britton, Estes Hills, 3 days ago
    Back when I drove daily to the Research Triangle at the legal speed limit,
    I frequently was tailgated no matter which lane I was in. I dreamed of commuting in a septic tank cleaning truck, because I figured that even
    the most outrageous tailgaters would not get overly close to me.
    ----------
    Richard Feldman, Pittsboro, NC, 2 days ago
    I've traveled and lived through much of the U.S., and Asia. The mid-west
    have the nicest drivers. The worst drivers are in Atlanta GA and its suburbs.
    I grew up in the NY metro region and am used to aggressive drivers, but
    Atlanta and Alpharetta drivers are deadly. Miami is pretty bad too.

But all of this pales to driving in China. You don't need to pass a
    driver's test in China, you can just buy a license, no one uses turn signals, and drivers communicate to each other by honking. Drivers play chicken with each other and whoever has the biggest set of balls gets the right of way. Tickets are meaningless deterrent because bribing traffic police is the norm, and foreigners especially Americans British and Russians are favored over
    local Chinese in traffic disputes/accidents. Driving in SE Asia, Vietnam and Cambodia are equally as dangerous because drivers are completely unpredictable plus you are competing with millions of scooters and motorcycles that will drive wherever the hell they want to drive including up apartment stairs where people park their bikes, I kid you not. Lol, it's completely insane; so cherish the occasional tailgater and God Bless the United States!
    -----------------
    Ellen Weiss, Quarterpath Trace, 17 hours ago
    to Richard Feldman: Amen to that! Imagine being a pedestrian trying to
    cross a road in the middle of Beijing! Scariest moments of my life! ------------
    Richard Feldman, Pittsboro, NC, 11 hours ago
    to Ellen: it is not for the faint of heart, lol!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)