• =?UTF-8?Q?Hear_Ye=2C_Hear_Ye=3A_Leave_=E2=80=98the_American_People=E2=8

From ltlee1@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 24 05:26:58 2023
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/leave-the-american-people-alone-illinois-cliche-sincerity-representative-government-partisanship-ffda18f3?

"In the Chicago where I grew up, all politicians were guilty until proven innocent, and few were ever proved innocent. I remember my father telling me that a seat on the Chicago City Council paid $20,000 a year, yet politicians spent as much as a quarter-
    million dollars to get one. “Doesn’t make sense,” my father would say, in a voice of comic naiveté, “just doesn’t make sense.”

There are ways to scope out the falsity of politicians—viewing the contradictions or simple selfishness in their voting records; discovering their net worth. I have come upon another. You can tell how phony a politician is by how often he uses the term
    “the American people.”

The term is ubiquitous: “That is the question the American people are asking everyday.” “I am here to serve the American people.” “That is not who we, the American people, are.” “The American people want a change, and now.” “If I
    thought the American people believed that, I’d vote for it without hesitation.”

The problem is in determining who these American people really are, especially with our country clearly divided. ...

By glomming onto the phrase, contemporary politicians seek to establish that they are the true representatives of representative government. With it engraved on their shields, they avoid any notion that they are party hacks or merely in business for
    themselves.

Evoking “the American people” also is meant to establish the earnestness and sincerity of a politician. Yet sincerity and politics are rarely found under the same roof, and one has to search American politics sedulously to find admirably sincere
    political figures.

Politicians who glibly cite the true wishes of “the American people” as the motive for their actions are also simultaneously congratulating themselves for their insight. I think of four Illinois politicians nearest, though far from dearest, to me:
    Tammy Duckworth, Dick Durbin, Jan Schakowsky and J.B. Pritzker. ... None has the faintest clue about what America wants from politicians, and if they did they wouldn’t deign to supply it.

It is time, surely, for us the American people to rise up and insist that our politicians knock off all further mention of “the American people.”

Will US political leaders listen?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)