• What about a timeline of ALL the politicians' false & misleading statem

From David P.@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 18 14:14:29 2022
    What about a timeline of ALL the politicians' false & misleading statements? ----------------------------------
    A Timeline of Trump’s False and Misleading Statements on the Mar-a-Lago Search
    By Stuart A. Thompson, Aug. 16, 2022, NY Times

In the days since former President Donald J. Trump’s Florida home was searched by federal agents last week, he has posted dozens of messages on Truth Social, his social media platform, about the Democrats, the F.B.I. and other perceived foes.

Those statements reflect the strategy Mr. Trump has long used to address controversy, by turns denying any wrongdoing while directing attention elsewhere. Some of the messages also reflect his penchant for false and misleading claims.

Here are some of the false and unsupported statements he has made since the F.B.I.’s search.
    [ . . . ] https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/16/technology/trump-search-misinfo-timeline.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From stoney@21:1/5 to David P. on Sun Aug 21 13:03:45 2022
    On Friday, August 19, 2022 at 5:14:30 AM UTC+8, David P. wrote:
    What about a timeline of ALL the politicians' false & misleading statements? ----------------------------------

In the days since former President Donald J. Trump’s Florida home was searched by federal agents last week, he has posted dozens of messages on Truth Social, his social media platform, about the Democrats, the F.B.I. and other perceived foes.

Those statements reflect the strategy Mr. Trump has long used to address controversy, by turns denying any wrongdoing while directing attention elsewhere. Some of the messages also reflect his penchant for false and misleading claims.

Here are some of the false and unsupported statements he has made since the F.B.I.’s search.
    [ . . . ] https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/16/technology/trump-search-misinfo-timeline.html

Its link to paywall. Can you post the article too.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David P.@21:1/5 to stoney on Sun Aug 21 20:35:07 2022
    stoney wrote:
    David P. wrote:
    What about a timeline of ALL the politicians' false & misleading statements?
    ----------------------------------

----------------
    Can you give a list of all false and misleading statements from
    Mao Zedong, Deng Xiaoping, Jiang Zemin, Hu Jintao, and Xi Jinping?
    --
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From stoney@21:1/5 to David P. on Sun Aug 21 20:43:12 2022
    On Monday, August 22, 2022 at 11:35:08 AM UTC+8, David P. wrote:
    stoney wrote:
    David P. wrote:

----------------
    --
    --
    Cannot read the article in the link as it is on paywall.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David P.@21:1/5 to stoney on Mon Aug 22 13:26:18 2022
    stoney wrote:
    David P. wrote:
    stoney wrote:
    David P. wrote:

----------------
    -- ----------
    Cannot read the article in the link as it is on paywall.
    -------------
    Post the Xi list, and then I'll post the Trump list!
    --
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ltlee1@21:1/5 to stoney on Fri Aug 26 06:14:02 2022
    On Sunday, August 21, 2022 at 4:03:47 PM UTC-4, stoney wrote:

Is the US really a democracy and the US governs with the consent of the governed?
    If not, every time a US politician claims the US a democracy, he is not telling the truth.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From A. Filip@21:1/5 to ltlee1@hotmail.com on Fri Aug 26 16:17:56 2022
    ltlee1 <ltlee1@hotmail.com> wrote:
    […]
    [ . . . ]
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/16/technology/trump-search-misinfo-timeline.html

Is the US really a democracy and the US governs with the consent of the governed?
    If not, every time a US politician claims the US a democracy, he is
    not telling the truth.

Does anti-communist opposition in PRC "tell the truth" (according to CPC)? :-)

https://proverbicals.com/brothers
    I against my brother, I and my brother against our cousin, my brother
    and our cousin against the neighbors all of us against the
    foreigner. ~ Bedouin Proverbs

--
    A. Filip : Big (Tech) Brother is watching you.
    | No self-made man ever did such a good job that some woman didn't
    | want to make some alterations. (Kim Hubbard)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ltlee1@21:1/5 to A. Filip on Fri Aug 26 09:13:17 2022
    On Friday, August 26, 2022 at 10:18:00 AM UTC-4, A. Filip wrote:
    ltlee1 wrote:
    […]
    [ . . . ]
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/16/technology/trump-search-misinfo-timeline.html

not telling the truth.

Observation1: Politician X asserted Y
    Observation2: People's responses to surveys consistently contradicted Y. Conclusion: Politician Lied.

US information:
    Observation1: Politicians (X1, X2, X3... X(too many to count) ) had asserted that the US is a democracy.
    Observation2: A series of surveys rejecting the notion that the US government had the consent of the people.

Please provide observations regarding China.
    Don't know what you mean without observations regarding China. Can't answer your question.

--
    | No self-made man ever did such a good job that some woman didn't
    | want to make some alterations. (Kim Hubbard)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bmoore@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 26 15:22:39 2022
    On Friday, August 26, 2022 at 9:13:19 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
    ltlee1 wrote:
    […]
    [ . . . ]

not telling the truth.
    Observation2: People's responses to surveys consistently contradicted Y. Conclusion: Politician Lied.

US information:
    Observation1: Politicians (X1, X2, X3... X(too many to count) ) had asserted that the US is a democracy.
    Observation2: A series of surveys rejecting the notion that the US government had the consent of the people.

Don't know what you mean without observations regarding China. Can't answer your question.

Can't or won't?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From A. Filip@21:1/5 to ltlee1@hotmail.com on Sat Aug 27 06:37:11 2022
    ltlee1 <ltlee1@hotmail.com> wrote:
    ltlee1 wrote:
    […]
    [ . . . ]

not telling the truth.
    Does anti-communist opposition in PRC "tell the truth" (according to
    CPC)? :-)

Quite likely but see "flat earth majority times".
    Politics in big part is (personal) interests driven opinions.

US information:
    Observation1: Politicians (X1, X2, X3... X(too many to count) ) had
    asserted that the US is a democracy.
    Observation2: A series of surveys rejecting the notion that the US
    government had the consent of the people.

"Your survey, your results" - Polish (cynical) saying.
    In US such results can be published. Somehow I doubt that similar
    results could be published in PRC [*Somebody* could produce them for sure]

Cynical guide to parliamentary democracy for a ruling class:
    Make issues of key importance to you secondary important to majority of
    the voters.

Don't know what you mean without observations regarding China. Can't
    answer your question.

PRC censorship makes observation easily comparable to USA "not easy"
    [polite wording].

As I wrote: We agree that US democracy is "not as good as advertised".
    Does it downgrade it to "the same class" (as bad as) as PRC?
    We seem too disagree strongly.

Anyway: Your approach can't give you full victory but it is pretty
    good to achieve partial victory IMHO.

--
    | All good ideas look like bad ideas to those who are losers.
    | (Dilbert)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From stoney@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 27 01:57:57 2022
    On Friday, August 26, 2022 at 9:14:04 PM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:

If not, every time a US politician claims the US a democracy, he is not telling the truth.

The porky head Pompeo had said Americans tell lies, cheated, and so on. Make no mistake when Americans travelled, they talk about their democracy of being disrespectful and admonishing and belittling of people in other countries too which they went on
    tour, work or drop visit.

They show up themselves by emulating like Donald Trump, Porky face Pompeo, Biden, or the latest like Pelosi with a lot oomph and argh to the people around the world they went to. That is not democracy to the people around the world but to the Americans,
    their oomph and argh of emulating their leaders are American democracy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ltlee1@21:1/5 to A. Filip on Sat Aug 27 04:28:47 2022
    On Saturday, August 27, 2022 at 12:38:00 AM UTC-4, A. Filip wrote:
    ltlee1 wrote:
    ltlee1 wrote:
    […]
    [ . . . ]

not telling the truth.
    I against my brother, I and my brother against our cousin, my brother >> > and our cousin against the neighbors all of us against the

US information:

Whatever.
    The issue of this thread is about politicians' false & misleading statements. With the survey results, it is clear that US politicians had made false and misleading statements concerning US democracy all the time.

Feel free to show that politicians in other nations also make false and misleading
    statement per their citizens. But you will have to supply the evidence.

Cynical guide to parliamentary democracy for a ruling class:
    Make issues of key importance to you secondary important to majority of
    the voters.
    PRC censorship makes observation easily comparable to USA "not easy"
    [polite wording].

As I wrote: We agree that US democracy is "not as good as advertised".
    Does it downgrade it to "the same class" (as bad as) as PRC?
    We seem too disagree strongly.

Anyway: Your approach can't give you full victory but it is pretty
    good to achieve partial victory IMHO.
    --
    | All good ideas look like bad ideas to those who are losers.
    | (Dilbert)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ltlee1@21:1/5 to David P. on Sat Aug 27 09:15:03 2022
    On Saturday, August 27, 2022 at 11:16:52 AM UTC-4, David P. wrote:
    ltlee1 wrote:
    A. Filip wrote:
    ltlee1 wrote:
    A. Filip wrote:
    ltlee1 wrote:
    stoney wrote:
    David P. wrote:
    […]
    [ . . . ]

If not, every time a US politician claims the US a democracy, he is >> > not telling the truth.
    Does anti-communist opposition in PRC "tell the truth" (according to >> CPC)? :-)

Observation2: People's responses to surveys consistently contradicted Y.
    Conclusion: Politician Lied.
    US information:
    In US such results can be published. Somehow I doubt that similar results could be published in PRC [*Somebody* could produce them for sure]
    Whatever.
    The issue of this thread is about politicians' false & misleading statements.
    With the survey results, it is clear that US politicians had made false and
    misleading statements concerning US democracy all the time.

Feel free to show that politicians in other nations also make false and misleading
    --------------------------
    How to Tell if a Politician is Lying
    Oct 18, 2016, by Cami Mathews

You have probably heard the joke before, but how do you tell if a
    politician is lying? Answer, their lips are moving. It is too bad
    that noses do not actually grow like Pinocchio’s because in this
    heated and uneasy political climate the stakes are too high not
    to pay attention and question the integrity and truthfulness of a
    candidate running for office.

Although noses are not a tell-all sign, there are other ways to
    find out if a candidate is lying. Kevin Stein, associate professor
    of Communication at Southern Utah University, has insight on how to
    spot a deceitful politician. “Nonverbal cues people use when lying
    include too much or too little eye contact, excessive eye blinking,
    slower rate of speech, and longer pauses between statements,” said Stein.

Along with Stein, another expert from SUU gave helpful hints on how to
    spot misleading or deceptive individuals. Douglas Bennett, assistant professor of political science, has spent years in Washington D.C. as
    a top lobbyist. Bennett has witnessed dishonesty in all forms, from
    campaign speeches to social media posts to misrepresentation from the media.

Between Stein and Bennett, here are a few ways you can check if a politician is lying.

Listen for short answers
    ------------------------
    A good rule of thumb is to listen for short, vague statements.
    If someone is lying or even bending the truth, they will give shorter answers or pause between sections of the lie because they have to
    exercise creative thinking and this usually slows them down. The
    exceptions to this rule are people who have told a lie many times and
    are well practiced at it. It can appear that a person is telling the
    truth if a story is generally true except for a few really important details. So don’t trust everything you hear. Do your own research on
    the topic at hand.

Watch for abnormal behavior
    ------------------------
    Being familiar with a politician’s normal behaviors and habits can
    help you tell if they start fabricating the truth. If their actions
    or body language starts to shift during a speech they might be lying.
    Not making eye contact, avoiding the question, deflecting, fidgeting
    might all be signs that a politician is lying. However, be aware that
    some nonverbal cues are a reaction to anxiety. Standing on stage being broadcasted in front of 84 million people at a national debate can
    naturally cause some nervousness. By being familiar with a politician
    before they get on stage, one can measure if a candidate deviates too
    much from their natural behavior.

Do your own research
    ------------------
    Sometimes there isn’t a clear way for you to know if a candidate is
    being deceptive. So do your own research and fact check information.
    Look up candidates statements after the debate and check if they are
    correct or not. To find if the information is accurate, check multiple sources that lean opposite ways on the political spectrum to help gain
    an overall sense of the issue, not just one side. Here is a link to a graphic that shows the trust levels of national news organizations by ideological group. Take a second to step back, check a few sources,
    and look into a politician's statement.

https://www.suu.edu/blog/2016/10/how-to-tell-if-a-politician-is-lying-elections.html
    --
    --
    What if two persons watch the same video and reach opposite conclusions?
    Was Trump lying when he said Biden had stolen the 2020 election?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David P.@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 27 08:16:50 2022
    ltlee1 wrote:
    A. Filip wrote:
    ltlee1 wrote:
    A. Filip wrote:
    ltlee1 wrote:
    stoney wrote:
    David P. wrote:
    […]
    [ . . . ]

If not, every time a US politician claims the US a democracy, he is >> > not telling the truth.
    I against my brother, I and my brother against our cousin, my brother >> > and our cousin against the neighbors all of us against the

US information:
    Whatever.
    The issue of this thread is about politicians' false & misleading statements.
    With the survey results, it is clear that US politicians had made false and misleading statements concerning US democracy all the time.

--------------------------
    How to Tell if a Politician is Lying
    Oct 18, 2016, by Cami Mathews

You have probably heard the joke before, but how do you tell if a
    politician is lying? Answer, their lips are moving. It is too bad
    that noses do not actually grow like Pinocchio’s because in this
    heated and uneasy political climate the stakes are too high not
    to pay attention and question the integrity and truthfulness of a
    candidate running for office.

Although noses are not a tell-all sign, there are other ways to
    find out if a candidate is lying. Kevin Stein, associate professor
    of Communication at Southern Utah University, has insight on how to
    spot a deceitful politician. “Nonverbal cues people use when lying
    include too much or too little eye contact, excessive eye blinking,
    slower rate of speech, and longer pauses between statements,” said Stein.

Along with Stein, another expert from SUU gave helpful hints on how to
    spot misleading or deceptive individuals. Douglas Bennett, assistant
    professor of political science, has spent years in Washington D.C. as
    a top lobbyist. Bennett has witnessed dishonesty in all forms, from
    campaign speeches to social media posts to misrepresentation from the media.

Between Stein and Bennett, here are a few ways you can check if a politician is lying.

Listen for short answers
    ------------------------
    A good rule of thumb is to listen for short, vague statements.
    If someone is lying or even bending the truth, they will give shorter
    answers or pause between sections of the lie because they have to
    exercise creative thinking and this usually slows them down. The
    exceptions to this rule are people who have told a lie many times and
    are well practiced at it. It can appear that a person is telling the
    truth if a story is generally true except for a few really important
    details. So don’t trust everything you hear. Do your own research on
    the topic at hand.

Watch for abnormal behavior
    ------------------------
    Being familiar with a politician’s normal behaviors and habits can
    help you tell if they start fabricating the truth. If their actions
    or body language starts to shift during a speech they might be lying.
    Not making eye contact, avoiding the question, deflecting, fidgeting
    might all be signs that a politician is lying. However, be aware that
    some nonverbal cues are a reaction to anxiety. Standing on stage being broadcasted in front of 84 million people at a national debate can
    naturally cause some nervousness. By being familiar with a politician
    before they get on stage, one can measure if a candidate deviates too
    much from their natural behavior.

Do your own research
    ------------------
    Sometimes there isn’t a clear way for you to know if a candidate is
    being deceptive. So do your own research and fact check information.
    Look up candidates statements after the debate and check if they are
    correct or not. To find if the information is accurate, check multiple
    sources that lean opposite ways on the political spectrum to help gain
    an overall sense of the issue, not just one side. Here is a link to a
    graphic that shows the trust levels of national news organizations by ideological group. Take a second to step back, check a few sources,
    and look into a politician's statement.

https://www.suu.edu/blog/2016/10/how-to-tell-if-a-politician-is-lying-elections.html
    --
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05