• =?UTF-8?Q?Sri_Lanka_Collapsed_First=2C_but_It_Won=E2=80=99t_Be_the_Las?

From David P.@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 18 14:11:13 2022
    Sri Lanka Collapsed First, but It Won’t Be the Last
    By Indrajit Samarajiva, Aug. 15, 2022, NY Times

Here’s how the past few months have felt.
    I have a car, which has now turned into a giant paperweight. Sri Lanka literally ran out of gas, so my kids asked if they could play inside the vehicle. That’s all it is good for. Getting fuel required waiting for days in spirit-crushing queues. I gave
    up. I got around by bus or bicycle. Most of the economy stopped moving at all. Now fuel has been rationed, but irrationally. Rich people get enough fuel for gas-guzzling S.U.V.s while working taxis don’t get enough and owners of tractors struggle to
    get anything at all.

The rupee has lost almost half its value since March, and many goods are out of stock. You learn to react at the first sign of trouble: When power cuts started a few months ago, my wife and I bought an expensive rechargeable fan; days later, they were
    sold out. When fuel cuts became dire, we immediately bought bicycles, and the next day their price went up. Staples like rice, vegetables, fish and chicken have soared in price.

Many Sri Lankans are going on one meal a day; some are starving. Every week brings to my door a new class of people reduced to begging to survive.

I earn in dollars as a writer online, so when the rupee depreciated and was devalued, I effectively got a raise. We can afford solar and battery backups to keep the power on. But many others are at the mercy of blackouts. People couldn’t work as
    factories and other workplaces shut down, and children couldn’t sleep in the heat. The first major protests kicked off in March after a full night of this, when it seemed that the entire country was sleep-deprived and furious.

Last month, protesters breached the presidential residence and prime minister’s office, and it was the one thing that felt good. Along with thousands of ordinary Sri Lankans, I got to see inside these colonial-era fortresses for the first time. It was
    spontaneous, safe and respectful. Couples went on dates there; parents took their kids. I saw people singing in the president’s house, a mother dancing with her toddler, people swimming in the pool. I walked around a hall lined with plaques bearing the
    names of British colonizers, which seamlessly became the names of our own presidents.

At the prime minister’s office, someone played the piano, and a shirtless man draped in a Sri Lankan flag slept on a couch. Four guys had set up a game of carrom and were flicking the discs around. A child joyfully cartwheeled across the lawn outside,
    and a community kitchen served rice to anyone who was hungry. It was a beautiful sight in a space where elites nibbled on canapés before, surrounded by armed guards. It felt hopeful.

But what had briefly felt like true democracy didn’t last. Parliament merely replaced Mr. Rajapaksa with one of his cronies, Ranil Wickremesinghe, who had been prime minister a handful of times but lost his parliamentary seat in 2020. He has turned the
    military on demonstrators and arrested protesters and trade unionists. It’s all been “constitutional,” eroding faith in the whole liberal democratic system.

Sri Lanka — like so many other countries struggling for solvency — remains a colony with administration outsourced to the International Monetary Fund. We still export cheap labor and resources and import expensive finished goods — the basic
    colonial model. The country is still divided and conquered by local elites, while real economic control is held abroad. The I.M.F. has extended loans to Sri Lanka 16 times, always with stringent conditions. It just keeps restructuring us for further
    exploitation by creditors.

And as much as the West blames Chinese predatory lending, only 10 to 20 percent of Sri Lanka’s foreign debt is owed to China. The majority is owed to U.S. and European financial institutions or Western allies like Japan. We died in a largely Western
    debt trap.

Other countries face the same peril. Around 60 percent of low-income nations and 30 percent of middle-income ones are in debt distress or at high risk of it. Pakistan, Bangladesh, Tunisia, Ghana, South Africa, Brazil, Argentina, Sudan — the list of
    those in trouble is growing rapidly. An estimated 60 percent of the world’s work force has lower real incomes than before the pandemic, and the rich countries offer little to no help.

But big economies are suffering, too. Europe faces energy uncertainty, Americans are struggling to fill their tanks, the United States may already be in recession, its asset bubble threatens to pop, and British families face food worries.

It’s going to get worse: The I.M.F. just warned that the likelihood of a global recession is growing. As economies collapse, Western loans simply won’t get repaid, and poor nations will crash out of the dollar system that props up Western lifestyles.
    Then, even Americans won’t be able to money-print their way out of trouble. It’s already begun. Sri Lanka has started settling loans in Indian rupees, and India is buying Russian oil in rubles. China may buy Saudi oil with yuan.

The Sri Lankan uprising that threw out our leaders is called the Aragalaya. It means “struggle.” It’s going to be a long one, and it’s spreading across the world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/15/opinion/international-world/sri-lanka-economic-collapse.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From stoney@21:1/5 to David P. on Sun Sep 4 17:58:38 2022
    On Friday, August 19, 2022 at 5:11:14 AM UTC+8, David P. wrote:
    Sri Lanka Collapsed First, but It Won’t Be the Last
    By Indrajit Samarajiva, Aug. 15, 2022, NY Times

It’s going to get worse: The I.M.F. just warned that the likelihood of a global recession is growing. As economies collapse, Western loans simply won’t get repaid, and poor nations will crash out of the dollar system that props up Western
    lifestyles. Then, even Americans won’t be able to money-print their way out of trouble. It’s already begun. Sri Lanka has started settling loans in Indian rupees, and India is buying Russian oil in rubles. China may buy Saudi oil with yuan.

The Sri Lankan uprising that threw out our leaders is called the Aragalaya. It means “struggle.” It’s going to be a long one, and it’s spreading across the world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/15/opinion/international-world/sri-lanka-economic-collapse.html

The coming recession and collapse of economies will be beginning of the crash out of the US dollar system in the world. Countries will buy imports with their own printed money, instead. They can export in exchange for payment by other country's currency.
    But they will not have to use US dollar or when they don't have enough of it.

They know that US dollar system can squeeze and choke the economy if they have not exchanged enough of US dollar to stockpile in their own central bank for distribution to their own retail banks to make external payments of imports purchased by locals.

Hence, with the use of local money to pay for their imports, they will not have to find US dollar to stockpile in their central bank for US dollar transaction with the international controlling body on cash payment controlled and manipulated by the US
    swift system.

Russia has learned fast from the cut-off of the international swift payment system by the US in February war on Ukraine. Now countries have pay them in rubles, instead. This will be the beginning of new normal for foreign currency payment system.

China being the largest exporting country in the world will soon be requiring countries to pay in Chinese Yuan. China has the capacity to run a fast exchange of payment by countries in Yuan. It has already started in March 2022 to begin with the digital
    payment system to manage the ins and outs of its yuan currency used and transacted in China's payment system.

As people in China are used to exchange of payment by digital payment through their mobile "wallet" in their phone, it will be very successful soon when countries are asked to pay in Yuan, instead. This means the yuan system can be used for international
    transaction of foreign payment of currency like the swift system.

When the Yuan payment system is introduced to the world, it will be an alternative system to the swift system. When countries used it, they will not use the swift system anymore. The swift system will be dumped. US will be cut-off and isolated from it.
    This will teach US a lesson on not bully countries and not to use swift payment system to sanction on Russia or even other countries, too. This will be what US will get as their own dessert from cutting of the swift payment on Russia.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)