• How are the police in China? The police that I have seen in China are u

From Rusty Wyse@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 5 10:37:57 2022
    Gerald Murray
    ·
    Follow
    Anthropologist (Ph.D), linguist, and polyglot. Updated 2y
    How are the police in China?
    The answers given are right on target. I have lived and taught in China 5 times, for months at a stretch. The police that I have seen in China are unarmed, friendly, and helpful. One was at the entry to the airport and actually helped me load my luggage
    onto the inspection belt when he saw me struggling. I can’t imagine an American security guard doing that. This is not criticizing the American. Just amazed at the Chinese guard.

I’m 76, and the elderly in China are treated by kin and friends with a kindness that is almost embarrassing to an American who doesn’t consider himself elderly and is used to carrying his own suitcases. It took me a while to realize that, when a
    younger friend offered to carry my suitcase across the street, he wasn’t questioning my stamina or putting me down, but fulfilling a cultural practice of respect to the elderly. (Anyone over 55 may be placed in that category.)

The interaction between police and the public in China is friendly and often joking. Once a colleague was driving and was stopped by a young policeman because she had made a wrong move of some sort. He politely asked her for her driver’s license and
    walked off to the side to get out of the way and take notes. She got out and walked quickly toward him and jokingly bantered with him for several minutes laughing and waving her arms (I was watching in American horror.) She came back with her license and
    no citation. She told him what university she was a professor in, and he said that his wife had just graduated from there the previous week! They exchanged Wechat addresses (the Chinese Whatsapp) and are still in contact. Long live the world of guanxi!

Now imagine an American policeman who stops a driver. He gets the license, goes back to the patrol car to run a check, and the driver gets out of the car and moves quickly toward the policeman, as my Chinese colleague did. The American policeman will (
    and should) pull his gun. I know I would. Not point it. But be ready for anything. And I’ve never heard of Americans exchanging email addresses with a policeman who stops them on the road.

American police can be friendly and helpful as well. Most would probably prefer that mode. But the country is violent, filled with guns, and the police are not merely the shooters but targets as well. In today’s America they have to be careful and, in
    the face of aggression and even discourtesy, have to be ready to defend themselves.

It’s a different world in China.

And it{s not because the population lives in trembling fear of the authorities, as many Americans (who’ve never been to China) assure me. (“You’ve been brainwashed in China”, I’ve occasionally been told. “Those poor Chinese live terrified
    lives.”) Where does one begin dealing with this nonsense? On most occasions, I don’t even try.

China is not Utopia. But in many ways, it is a humanly healthier country than ours at this unfortunate moment in American history. (I’m American. And I don’t romanticize China as Shangri La.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From boro@21:1/5 to Rusty Wyse on Thu Feb 24 00:13:27 2022
    On 6/2/2022 2:37 am, Rusty Wyse wrote:
    Gerald Murray
    ·
    Follow
    Anthropologist (Ph.D), linguist, and polyglot. Updated 2y
    How are the police in China?
    The answers given are right on target. I have lived and taught in China 5 times, for months at a stretch. The police that I have seen in China are unarmed, friendly, and helpful. One was at the entry to the airport and actually helped me load my
    luggage onto the inspection belt when he saw me struggling. I can’t imagine an American security guard doing that. This is not criticizing the American. Just amazed at the Chinese guard.

I’m 76, and the elderly in China are treated by kin and friends with a kindness that is almost embarrassing to an American who doesn’t consider himself elderly and is used to carrying his own suitcases. It took me a while to realize that, when a
    younger friend offered to carry my suitcase across the street, he wasn’t questioning my stamina or putting me down, but fulfilling a cultural practice of respect to the elderly. (Anyone over 55 may be placed in that category.)

The interaction between police and the public in China is friendly and often joking. Once a colleague was driving and was stopped by a young policeman because she had made a wrong move of some sort. He politely asked her for her driver’s license and
    walked off to the side to get out of the way and take notes. She got out and walked quickly toward him and jokingly bantered with him for several minutes laughing and waving her arms (I was watching in American horror.) She came back with her license and
    no citation. She told him what university she was a professor in, and he said that his wife had just graduated from there the previous week! They exchanged Wechat addresses (the Chinese Whatsapp) and are still in contact. Long live the world of guanxi!

Now imagine an American policeman who stops a driver. He gets the license, goes back to the patrol car to run a check, and the driver gets out of the car and moves quickly toward the policeman, as my Chinese colleague did. The American policeman will (
    and should) pull his gun. I know I would. Not point it. But be ready for anything. And I’ve never heard of Americans exchanging email addresses with a policeman who stops them on the road.

American police can be friendly and helpful as well. Most would probably prefer that mode. But the country is violent, filled with guns, and the police are not merely the shooters but targets as well. In today’s America they have to be careful and,
    in the face of aggression and even discourtesy, have to be ready to defend themselves.

It’s a different world in China.

And it{s not because the population lives in trembling fear of the authorities, as many Americans (who’ve never been to China) assure me. (“You’ve been brainwashed in China”, I’ve occasionally been told. “Those poor Chinese live terrified
    lives.”) Where does one begin dealing with this nonsense? On most occasions, I don’t even try.

China is not Utopia. But in many ways, it is a humanly healthier country than ours at this unfortunate moment in American history. (I’m American. And I don’t romanticize China as Shangri La.)

Americans live in trembling fear of the police authorities and the mad
    gun troubling people. They would shoot not at each other but at the
    innocent people instead.

Why is it so? Let say you go to New York City, the police people are
    even scared of those mad gun shooting people who would come by behind
    them and gave them a few shots and that ended their lives, instead.

In other parts of US, they were cases in US policemen were in their
    parked car, and some bullet killed the police people inside. They were
    also cases where students were in their car park lot were randomly
    killed by some senseless people.

Henceforth, US is filled with senseless and mad people who have no
    worries of being caught as they know their police will not there every
    time at an minute to protect the people there.

Therefore, American people and policemen are living in fear of mob and senseless and mad people who have no idea of their killing action can
    cause untold problems to people who have to endure their loss for years
    to come until their old age.

Henceforth, American police are living in fear of the bad people
    instead. The next time, American policemen in their car will have to
    replace them like a armored car.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Satish Kumar@21:1/5 to rst0...@gmail.com on Wed Feb 23 14:55:36 2022
    Yale Guen Mar, Dr. L.T. Lee is an erudite person. You can learn a lot from him if you try.

Yes, I know how difficult it is for you to follow his complex thoughts. But whenever you are stumped, ask for help from your tutor (Mr. Ravinder Singh's grandson). He is a smart kid and will explain to you everything that you don't understand. But you'll
    have to ask him to help you.

On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 at 10:39:00 AM UTC-7, rst0...@gmail.com wrote:
    Education
    PhD University of California 1975
    MA University of California 1970
    BSocSci Chinese University of Hong Kong 1968
    Biography
    Upon completing his Ph.D. at the University of California, Santa
    Barbara, L. T. Lee joined the Department of Political Science of the
    then
    University of Singapore in Bukit Timah in 1974. During his stay at
    the
    University of Singapore and later on National University of Singapore
    from 1974 to 2010, he had been tasked to serve in various academic
    and
    administrative positions.
    These include:
    Head of the Department of Political Science,
    Academic Convenor of the International Studies Programme,
    Coordinator of Culture and Contemporary Society of the then
    Core Curriculum (the University Scholars Programme now) and
    Deputy Director of the International Relations Office.
    He has also served in various international and regional academic and
    track two organizations, such as Director of Singapore Institute of International Affairs, Chairman of PECC--Singapore, President of
    Asian
    Political and International Studies Association, National Coordinator
    of the Southeast Asian Studies Network and Member of Council for
    Security Cooperation in the Asia-Pacific--Singapore. He was External Examiner of area studies at NTU and ANU and Visiting Scholar of a
    number of universities and think tanks. Currently, he is President of
    the Political Science Association (Singapore). His major publications include three single-authored books, seven edited or co-edited books
    and a vast number of articles in international and regional journals.

Yale Guen Mar, try to fathom Dr. L.T. Lee's posts on merit instead of trolling him.

Yes, you have an IQ deficit, Yale Guen Mar. But then why don't you show Dr. Lee's posts to Mr. Ravinder Singh's granson and ask him to read them to you and to explain them to you. This will imprive your English and leave you richer in knowledge.

And be thankful to Mr. Ravinder Singh for helping you out from the goodness ofhis heart - he never charges you for tutoring you.

Yale Guen Mar, pay attention whenever Mr. Ravinder Singh's granson is tutoring you and try to make the most from his free lessons.

Yale Guen Mar, I think you should concentrate on graduating from high school before attempting to critique Dr. L.T. Lee's posts.

Or else, you can take the posts to Mr. Ravinder Singh's grandson and ask him to not just read it to you but also to explain it to you.

Be grateful that Mr. Ravinder Singh's grandson tutors is willing to tutor you from the goodness of his heart. He has never charged you for his tutoring. May be, with the grandson's help, you'll finally be able to pass the GED High School diploma test.

Yale Guen Mar (posting under the fake name ofResty Wyse) made it to the Guinness Book of Records in 2016 at the age of 78.

Merced Sun-Star
    June 15, 2016

Reuters

78 year old Merced Resident Yale Guen Mar Makes it to the Guinness Book of Records

Merced, CA: Yale Guen Mar, 78, who appeared in the GED high school diploma test for the 47th time a month back, has failed once again.

While Yale Guen Mar has already made it to the Guinness book of records for his repeated attempts to earn a high school diploma, the failure has once again shattered his hopes of seeking a girlfriend..

Yale Guen Mar of Merced, CA, who also calls himself Resty Wyse and Rusty Wyseman, has been taking the test for the last 47 years. Since abandoned by his last live-in companion Yuhua Luo, Yale Guen Mar vowed to to attempt to court a significant other only
    after getting through the examinations.

"Till the time I am alive I will go on giving the GED exam," Yale Guen Mar told Reuters on Monday.

Yale Guen Mar, now lives alone on Twilight Avenue in Merced, CA. Yale Guen Mar is fully dependent on welfare checks from the government and on live in nursing aide Meichi Thai.

"It is not just passing the GED exam. It will also give me an opportunity to seek a girlfriend," Yale Guen Mar said more wistfully than hopefully.

On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 7:53:57 PM UTC-8, Resty Wyse wrote:
    LT Lee, take notice: Plagiarism costs Chinese film star Zhai Tianlin his PhD
    Zhai says he wanted to support his acting with cultural knowledge and theory, but his success had caused him to succumb to vanity
    An academic essay written by the actor was found to be 40 per cent plagiarised from an article published in 2006

Resty (Yale Guen Mar), do you know what plagiarism is?

Do you know that scholarly articles routinely give sources for reference when they quote from them?

Yale Guen Mar, you always repost from quora. The 64 dollar question is what you think.

On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 9:00:36 AM UTC-7, Resty Wyse wrote:
    LTLee's posts are mostly limited to a small niche of society, i.e., in the finite definition of word meaning in the textbook.
    Examples:
    “...according to "Why Leaders Lie" written by political scientist John Mearshemier,...”
    “...Susan Jacoby argued, ...”
    We want to know what you think, not what others think!!!

Yale Guen Mar, the problem is that you do not think. You are not acquainted with how authors make their point. That is why providing proper references don't mean much to you.

Yale Guen Mar. Dr. L.T. Lee's posts are too complex for you. But why don't you ask your tutor (Mr. Ravinder Singh's grandson) to explain them to you.

That way, you'll improve both your English and your general knowledge.

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 8:39:27 AM UTC-7, rst8...@gmail.com wrote:
    LTLee, PhD, always quote other people's work...
    It's called "plagiarism"!!!!

We want your words, your ideas,...
    Not other people's words/ideas...

When Dr. L.T. Lee quotes a scholar, he always does so with proper reference. That is not "plagiarism". Yale Guen Mar (Resty Wyse), it is plagiarism whenever you lift paragraphs from the Qura without giving a link or even acknowledging the author.

Yale Guen Mar, if you don't understand Dr. L.T. Lee's posts, it is because of your lack of education.

Yale Guen Mar (Bright Equality Mule), you wasted your time at high school in Safford, AZ. You didn't study the way your siblings Ellen, Donald and Eugene did. You still haven't graduated. But you did make it to the Guinness Book of Records.
    On Monday, January 21, 2019 at 9:25:39 AM UTC-8, Resty Wyse wrote:
    LTLee had a lot of education, but can't seem to understand, but talks above the cloud!!!!

Resty (Yale Guen Mar), the problem is within you. You failed to graduate from high school. No wonder your intellect has remained under the cloud.

Resty, you are lucky that Mr. Ravinder Singh's grandson tutors you for free. Pay attention when he is tutoring you. A lot of things will get clear to you if you pay attention when you are tutored.

Resty (Yale Guen Mar), you don't have the education to understand a lot of things in life. But it is very fortunate that Mr. Ravinder Singh's grandson has been kind enough to tutor you for free.

Resty, whenever you feel stumped (which is often), you should rush to grandson Singh and request him to explain things to you.

On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 7:01:49 PM UTC-8, Resty Wyse wrote:

Classic example:
    LTLee - PhD, Humanity - UC Santa Barbara
    Quotes directly from the textbook - Classic ancient Chinese style!!!

So, Resty (Yale Guen Mar), you are claiming that Dr. L.T. Lee cannot possibly equal your intellectual ability unless he emulates you to reject "text book" in favor of posting selective entries in the Quora !!!

Resty, you were never fancied for your brains and rightly so. Ellen, Donald and Eugene were achievers. You, on the other hand, had to buy a diploma through mail order.

Yale Guen Mar, you simply lack the wherewithal to comprehend posts by Dr. L.T. Lee.

Yale Guen Mar, make efforts to get the most out of Dr. L.T. Lee's posts and you'll be a better person for your effort.

Yale Guen Mar, your intelligence is only skin deep. In fact, the only thing deep about you is your hemorrhoid ridden asshole. It is as full of shit as your skull.

In a moment of unguarded candor, didn't you admit what your ex-gf in Merced, CA told you? Didn't you post, "She said I logged on to chat- room and called everybody stupid."?

Even your ex-gf knows you don't make sense on the usenet.

Is it any wonder that you are scorned by all as the newsgroup idiot?

On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 9:00:36 AM UTC-7, Resty Wyse wrote:
    LTLee's posts are mostly limited to a small niche of society, i.e., in the finite definition of word meaning in the textbook.

Examples:

“...according to "Why Leaders Lie" written by political scientist John Mearshemier,...”

“...Susan Jacoby argued, ...”

We want to know what you think, not what others think!!!

Yale Guen Mar, you do not think. You are not acquainted with how authors make their point. That is why providing proper references don't mean much to you.

Yale Guen Mar. Dr. L.T. Lee's posts are too complex for you. But why don't you ask your tutor (Mr. Ravinder Singh's grandson) to explain them to you.

That way, you'll improve both your English and your general knowledge.

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 9:37:04 AM UTC-8, Resty Wyse wrote:
    Yes, complicated words!!!! LTLee is still very much an old China-hand scholar!!! a lot of memorization of other's written words, very litte originality of his own!!!

Resty (Yale Guen Mar), you don't have the education to understand a lot of things in life. But it is very fortunate that Mr. Ravinder Singh's grandson has been kind enough to tutor you for free.

Resty, whenever you feel stumped (which is often), you should rush to grandson Singh and request him to explain things to you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Byker@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 24 17:01:34 2022
    XPost: talk.politics.misc, alt.law-enforcement, alt.politics
    XPost: soc.culture.taiwan

"boro" wrote in message news:sv5me4$pit$1@dont-email.me...

<snip>

Say WHAT?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeGEBhOrhXk

Beijing's badgebullies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WoKJFqIndk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bmoore@21:1/5 to Byker on Thu Feb 24 15:32:35 2022
    On Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 3:01:41 PM UTC-8, Byker wrote:
    "boro" wrote in message news:sv5me4$pit$1...@dont-email.me...

<snip>

Say WHAT?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeGEBhOrhXk

Beijing's badgebullies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WoKJFqIndk

A Digital Manhunt: How Chinese Police Track Critics on Twitter and Facebook

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/31/technology/china-internet-police-twitter.html

Authorities in China have turned to sophisticated investigative software to track and silence obscure critics on overseas social media. Their targets include college students and non-Chinese nationals.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05