• For people who live in China or have been to Xinjiang, have you witness

From Rusty Wyse@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 21 09:43:41 2022
    Steven Williams
    ·
    Follow
    Teacher at A School Somewhere10mo
    For people who live in China or have been to Xinjiang, have you witnessed any "crime against humanity" or "genocide" (as the West calls it) against ethnic minorities?
    Englishman here. I’ve been to Xinjiang. Back in 2019, I hired a car with my then girlfriend and drove around the area around Urumqi (hours and hours of driving, but probably wouldn’t look too impressive on a map - Xinjiang is colossal). We went to
    many villages and some really beautiful places.

This part of China is very different from Shanghai which is where I’ve lived since 2015. It’s heavily policed. If you go into markets, hotels, shopping malls and places like this, you need to pass through a metal detector. There are surveillance
    cameras in a lot of places and all shops and restaurants have riot gear (really, I’m not joking).

If you drive through to different regions, you’ll need to pass through police checkpoints where the police check and log your ID and search your vehicle for anything offensive. They do this to everybody, regardless of gender, race or nationality. Also,
    worth noting - the police are multi-racial (Han, Uyghur, etc).

There has been a lot of problems with security in that region. Problems that result in innocent people who want to buy fruit in the market ending up dead or in hospital missing body parts. Are the government supposed to just sit back or are they supposed
    to protect the innocent?

To summarise, no, I didn’t witness any crimes against humanity. Security was heavy, but given the fact that the threat of terror activity is high, what would you expect? I’ve been in London when there has been heightened activity and seen armed
    police everywhere. It’s the same thing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)